Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are part of the 2nd four out...

Started by checkraiser88, January 29, 2016, 12:00:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

According to the BPI rankings. Our RPI jumped 30 spots to 91 after the Aggie win. Another top 50 win on the resume with a win this weekend. Our SOS is top 30 everywhere I've seen. We are not out of the tournament just yet, still plenty of room to jump spots..

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/type/tournament

rolyat_2008

Mick Hogger

Yep, the only hope for the big tournament without sweeping the rest of the schedule is to run the SEC gauntlet like GA. And I wouldn't put my money against this team getting to the finals right now.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Hawg Red

We're 10-10. Our only notable wins are Evansville, Vanderbilt, and A&M (all at home). We have one win away from BWA over a terrible team. We aren't in any NCAA tournament discussion.

BRHogfan

I can point out that 14 loss teams have made the NCAA tournament with an at large bid once in 2008 and 5 teams in 2011. 

2008 Arizona
2011 Tennessee
2011 Penn State
2011 Marquette
2011 Michigan State
2011 USC

If you take our remaining schedule, and we finish 21-10 I think we make the tournament even if we lose the 1st game of the SEC tournament.

If we have 4 more losses, we will not join the ranks of these 6 teams. 

The best thing I can say for this team is that we can definitely win the remaining 11 games on our schedule, but we will be playing our way in, which is what checkraiser is saying.

Jackrabbit Hog

Stop it.  Just stop it.

Before the A&M game the dominant threads were about when Anderson gets fired, fan apathy, inconsistency and embarrassing losses.  We get one good win and suddenly we're talking about the Big Dance?

Hogville at its finest.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 29, 2016, 10:56:54 am
Stop it.  Just stop it.

Before the A&M game the dominant threads were about when Anderson gets fired, fan apathy, inconsistency and embarrassing losses.  We get one good win and suddenly we're talking about the Big Dance?

Hogville at its finest.

Hogville is a mixture of bi-polar and schizophrenia with a touch of dementia.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The_Iceman

We may not even make the NIT. Even if we beat TTU and go 6-4 in conference the rest of the way, that only puts us at 17-14 on the season. Probably not even NIT at that point.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 29, 2016, 10:00:17 am
We're 10-10. Our only notable wins are Evansville, Vanderbilt, and A&M (all at home). We have one win away from BWA over a terrible team. We aren't in any NCAA tournament discussion.

Hope sells more than just lotto tickets. If we had four more wins, this would be more than just a pipe dream.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

BRHogfan

Well, why do you watch the Arkansas Razorback Basketball games?  Is it because you expect them to lose?  I think it's because you hope they win.

Even if we go 0-18 in conference play, I'll watch the tournament and hope they win.  I even went to the tournament one year when we had gone 2-14 in SEC play just hoping we could make that magical 4 game run. 

I don't see a problem with a fan of the team pointing out that we aren't out of this thing yet.  I'm excited about the win.  I keep talking to my coworkers about it, and it astounds me that I know people that graduated from Arkansas that don't know we just beat a top ten team.

Is it okay if I'm excited about the win?  Is it okay that I'm excited that the schedule plays out pretty well from here on out in the SEC?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 29, 2016, 10:39:21 am
I can point out that 14 loss teams have made the NCAA tournament with an at large bid once in 2008 and 5 teams in 2011. 

2008 Arizona
2011 Tennessee
2011 Penn State
2011 Marquette
2011 Michigan State
2011 USC

If you take our remaining schedule, and we finish 21-10 I think we make the tournament even if we lose the 1st game of the SEC tournament.

If we have 4 more losses, we will not join the ranks of these 6 teams. 

The best thing I can say for this team is that we can definitely win the remaining 11 games on our schedule, but we will be playing our way in, which is what checkraiser is saying.

Well you may have something here given what college basketball is this season comparing it to the quality of the 2011 season and NCAAT field as it was considered one of the weakest.  SEC still had division play and the SECW champ Bama didn't make the NCAAT.  The 2011 F4 was 4 seed UK, 3 seed UConn, 11 seed VCU and 8 seed Butler.  Sw16 quality teams most seasons will be the F4 fav's this season.  It is so wide open, those final spots for the tourney will have many contenders. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Breems

I'm really pulling to be in the NIT at this point. That would be a victory.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hogwood

What if we make the SW16 this year. LOL

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogwood on January 29, 2016, 11:27:56 am
What if we make the SW16 this year. LOL

I'll be back. I'm about to go and buy a Powerball ticket and plan my retirement.

ShadowHawg

Why not hope for the best?

I know it isn't likely, but I'll have my fingers crossed until it's a done deal.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 29, 2016, 12:14:16 pm
Why not hope for the best?

I know it isn't likely, but I'll have my fingers crossed until it's a done deal.

I hope we win the national championship this year.  But I'm realistic.  We aren't a post-season team.  If I don't get my hopes up too much, then I'm not as disappointed when our performance mirrors the expectations.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on January 29, 2016, 11:03:16 am
Hogville is a mixture of bi-polar and schizophrenia with a touch of dementia.
You forgot delusions of grandeur, especially when it comes to our bball program
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 29, 2016, 12:16:42 pm
You forgot delusions of grandeur, especially when it comes to our bball program

Coach A has a much tougher job than Coach Richardson had. The fans may not have liked his style of play at first but at least they kept showing up in big numbers and were very vocal in games.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 29, 2016, 12:16:40 pm
I hope we win the national championship this year.  But I'm realistic.  We aren't a post-season team.  If I don't get my hopes up too much, then I'm not as disappointed when our performance mirrors the expectations.

Unless you have money on the outcome, I must say you are a total Negative Nancy. Anyone can see the reality of the situation and still hope for the best. Why criticize those who do?

It will take a miracle run for the Hogs to make the NCAA tournament but our SOS could get us into the NIT with a good finish to the season. So the notion that we aren't a post season team is not as cut and dried as you are making it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on January 29, 2016, 12:32:35 pm
Coach A has a much tougher job than Coach Richardson had. The fans may not have liked his style of play at first but at least they kept showing up in big numbers and were very vocal in games.

That is an insult to Coach Richardson. 

The arena seated just over 9,000. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2016, 12:37:29 pm

And it was packed. Heath killed our attendance and Pel desecrated the burial site. MA is having to reestablish it. Not an easy job at all after a decade of suck.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 29, 2016, 10:56:54 am
Stop it.  Just stop it.

Hogville at its finest.

Stop it.  Just stop it. 

The poster wasn't arguing that we should be in consideration for the Big Dance.  ESPN was.  And, yes, being listed in ESPN's top 8 outside the bubble does mean you are in consideration.   Something we should be proud of given the fact we lost two NBA draft picks that could have returned, another starter to a felony, a 4 star recruit to the NCAA, and one of our key returning players was suspended for half of our losses.

Hogville at its finest.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2016, 12:37:29 pm

The bud will never be what the barn was. It's why duke doesn't replace Cameron with an 18,000 seat arena. The closeness of barnhill intimidated

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 29, 2016, 01:09:20 pm
The bud will never be what the barn was. It's why duke doesn't replace Cameron with an 18,000 seat arena. The closeness of barnhill intimidated

I agree.  I spent many nights in the front row.  But BWA is a great arena as well and is designed well for one of the newer generation of arenas for atmosphere.  One of the issues in it though is where they put the students from the beginning. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 29, 2016, 01:09:20 pm

Before Heath killed it, the Bud was MORE than Barnhill was and that is no knock on Barnhill.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 29, 2016, 12:33:15 pm
Unless you have money on the outcome, I must say you are a total Negative Nancy. Anyone can see the reality of the situation and still hope for the best. Why criticize those who do?

It will take a miracle run for the Hogs to make the NCAA tournament but our SOS could get us into the NIT with a good finish to the season. So the notion that we aren't a post season team is not as cut and dried as you are making it.

I prefer Realistic Ralphie.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 29, 2016, 01:14:14 pm
Before Heath killed it, the Bud was MORE than Barnhill was and that is no knock on Barnhill.
I respectfully disagree. If packed, the bud can get louder for sure, but it was almost like the hogs were getting willed to victory at barnhill. I'll never forget the barn games against UK and LsU hen we first joined the SEC...we put the conference on notice

BRHogfan

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 29, 2016, 02:28:55 pm
I respectfully disagree. If packed, the bud can get louder for sure, but it was almost like the hogs were getting willed to victory at barnhill. I'll never forget the barn games against UK and LsU hen we first joined the SEC...we put the conference on notice

I feel like many of the wins in the Heath and Pelphrey eras were willed by the people in BWA.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 29, 2016, 02:39:30 pm
I feel like many of the wins in the Heath and Pelphrey eras were willed by the people in BWA.
True. The Texas win in pels tenure was somewhat outerwordly

BRHogfan

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 29, 2016, 03:14:14 pm
True. The Texas win in pels tenure was somewhat outerwordly

That season was so ridiculous.  They go 12-1 in non-conference play culminating in a nice in over #7 Texas on a Tuesday.  Then they go 2-14 in conference play. 

If I'm John Pelphrey, that season would haunt me every night my head hit the pillow. 

checkraiser88

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 29, 2016, 03:18:38 pm
That season was so ridiculous.  They go 12-1 in non-conference play culminating in a nice in over #7 Texas on a Tuesday.  Then they go 2-14 in conference play. 

If I'm John Pelphrey, that season would haunt me every night my head hit the pillow.

I think we also beat a top 10 Oklahoma team that week as well

Breems

Quote from: checkraiser88 on January 29, 2016, 03:20:04 pm
I think we also beat a top 10 Oklahoma team that week as well

They were ranked #4. Blake Griffin era.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hogsanity

To just get to 20 wins, which is not even the magic # it once was, this team has to go 10-2 if I count right. Even then I dont think they get in, no matter how hot the finish was.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 29, 2016, 02:28:55 pm

We can agree to disagree. Went to games in the Barn as far back as Super Sid's senior year. Was at the Kentucky and LSU games at the Barn. It was an electric atmosphere.

But when we moved to the Bud, there was no comparison to just how intimidating and deafening that place was when packed. There was no sitting on your hands and twice the people. Much louder than even Barnhill could get and that is saying something.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 29, 2016, 03:18:38 pm

I truly thought we were back. 
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

bvillepig

I was listening to College Sports today.

Some think the NCAA will take 6 from the SEC others five. If we can finish in top five I think we are in.

Kentucky Texas A&M South Carolina   The rest of us are playing for the next two or 3 spots.

PORKULATOR

I'm hoping for an NIT game at Bud Walton Arena
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

rude1

Love the optimism, but this team has been a roller coaster and there is no reason for me to believe it won't continue. They have been in most every game but lack the ability to finish strongly consistently.

MountieDawg

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on January 29, 2016, 12:32:35 pm

They were showing up at Barnhill and it looked fuller.  I don't the the fans have cost MA a single win...
SEC!

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on January 29, 2016, 05:20:36 pm
Love the optimism, but this team has been a roller coaster and there is no reason for me to believe it won't continue. They have been in most every game but lack the ability to finish strongly consistently.
I agree...we don't have a go to guy...a finisher. Our best bet is to have at least a 3 point lead under a minute to go depending on who we are playing and where

TNhawgfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 29, 2016, 03:47:32 pm
We can agree to disagree. Went to games in the Barn as far back as Super Sid's senior year. Was at the Kentucky and LSU games at the Barn. It was an electric atmosphere.

But when we moved to the Bud, there was no comparison to just how intimidating and deafening that place was when packed. There was no sitting on your hands and twice the people. Much louder than even Barnhill could get and that is saying something.
I think the key words you said were when packed. Its not intimidating at all to see a half full arena

King Kong

Our strength of schedule is super high the committee loves that. If we could win 9-10 more game we would get on some bubble lists.

However, I don't think we can or will do that.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 03:35:42 pm
To just get to 20 wins, which is not even the magic # it once was, this team has to go 10-2 if I count right. Even then I dont think they get in, no matter how hot the finish was.

Didn't you also say,  Mike deserved CoY if this team won 20?

btw... best case for last hope, other than SECT sweep is, 9-2 and 2-1 in sect.... 21-13... would that be good enough?`

hobhog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 30, 2016, 11:44:56 am
Didn't you also say,  Mike deserved CoY if this team won 20?

btw... best case for last hope, other than SECT sweep is, 9-2 and 2-1 in sect.... 21-13... would that be good enough?`

We drop this game today and it's all on coach A. He is completely baffled by Tubby going to 1-3-1. Incredible.

Atlhogfan1

Both coaches made great moves going zone today.  Mike first half and Tubby second.  Both teams were hurt by off reb when in the zones. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Breems on January 29, 2016, 03:23:45 pm
They were ranked #4. Blake Griffin era.
And then mUnK was ruled ineligible.

hulk hog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 29, 2016, 03:47:32 pm

In 1998, the games in the same week against Kentucky and Auburn when both were top 10 were the loudest games I have ever been too.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

hulk hog

Quote from: hulk hog on January 30, 2016, 06:03:04 pm
In 1998, the games in the same week against Kentucky and Auburn when both were top 10 were the loudest games I have ever been too.

Sorry February of 1999.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

Ben Steiger

I caught the wins over #7 Texas and #4 Oklahoma that season, and spent the OU game with my Dad, who had cheered many nights in Barnhill Arena in the days of Delph, Moncrief, and Brewer. After that game, he said the Bud was louder than he ever remembered Barnhill.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

BRHogfan

Quote from: pigasaurus on January 29, 2016, 05:16:05 pm
I truly thought we were back.

We will probably have another two or three times we think that before we really get it back.