Top 5 Wins of the Anderson era

Started by Captain Morgan, January 28, 2016, 02:18:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Morgan

1. Wofford 2015 in NCAA Tournament
2. Kentucky 2014 in Rupp Arena
3. Texas A&M 2016 in Bud Walton Arena
4. Michigan 2012 in Bud Walton Arena
5. Kentucky in 2014 in Bud Walton Arena (Qualls Dunk)

Breems

I'll be the first to say that we need more criteria. Best win in terms of fun or ramifications on the season?

1. Wofford - most significant win
2. UK 2014 - will be talked about forever
3. @UK 2014 - was high on this one for days
4. @Georgia 2015 - really started to feel like the team was for real and a great start to conference play
5. @Ole Miss 2015 - buzzer beater and great resume win, plus we suck there
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Breems on January 28, 2016, 02:33:30 pm
I'll be the first to say that we need more criteria. Best win in terms of fun or ramifications on the season?

4. @Georgia 2015 - really started to feel like the team was for real and a great start to conference play

I feel like Ole Miss is probably my favorite win of the era behind the home win against UK in '14.

dsims2k3

January 28, 2016, 03:10:08 pm #3 Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:05:49 pm by dsims2k3
Blowing out #2 Florida in 2013
Beating Michigan in 2012 was pretty big too.... and countless others.
:razorback:
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Atlhogfan1

Good job mentioning the UGa and OM wins. 

I know I'm still in the minority on that second UK win because of how poorly they were playing at the time. 

I guess another question is:  have we had that signature win yet?  The one that signifies what is coming. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 28, 2016, 03:18:20 pm
I guess another question is:  have we had that signature win yet?  The one that signifies what is coming. 

While some of these wins mentioned make us feel good and give us good memories, the only win that really matters in the one NCAA win in his 5 years here against Wofford.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 28, 2016, 03:31:05 pm
While some of these wins mentioned make us feel good and give us good memories, the only win that really matters in the one NCAA win in his 5 years here against Wofford.

You keep saying 5 years but this one isn't over yet.  Not that I won't say you were right if we don't.

hogsanity

That is the thing few are willing to admit, college basketball has become all about the ncaat- how many times did you get there and how many games did you win once you got there.

Case in point, 2014 season- Hogs beat Kentucky TWICE. But who was playing the 1st night in April in Arlington for the NCAAT Title? That's right Kentucky. Where were the Hogs? They gagged and puked on themselves at Bama and in the SECT and ended up with a 2nd round NIT loss. Outside of Hog fans does anyone remember the Hogs beat UK twice that season, and even of they do remember, do they care? Did it, in the end, really matter in the outcome of the season? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Breems

^ The very reason we need more criteria.

If the wins don't matter to you, just post different ones.

bvillepig

Wow so in the last 15 years some have been happy only 2 times. 6 times in the last 20.

hawginbigd1

I think your 4 was very important to last years season!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bvillepig on January 28, 2016, 03:54:09 pm
Wow so in the last 15 years some have been happy only 2 times. 6 times in the last 20.

I don't believe that was said.  This is just a subjective conversation where fans will view "top" wins differently.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

MountieDawg

Best Win of the Anderson era was

The $2.2 million dollar contract, allowing him to make over $10 million dollars per NCAAT win!  That is a win!

John Thompson III may get paid more per NCAA win with his $2.8 mil dollar salary and only 2 NCAAT wins in 8 years but I dont have time for the math...
SEC!

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

MountieDawg

The odd similarity to John Thompson III and Mike Anderson is both are taking over their father's or LIKE A Father's program... Both hoping to regain the glory years and both being overpaid for not getting it done.  If either of them were able to do it like their mentors did they would be underpaid.  But both due to their mentorz are given a much longer leash than any coach in the country.
SEC!

The_Iceman

Quote from: bvillepig on January 28, 2016, 03:54:09 pm

Reading comprehension would do you some good.

The_Iceman

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 28, 2016, 04:23:37 pm
The odd similarity to John Thompson III and Mike Anderson is both are taking over their father's or LIKE A Father's program... Both hoping to regain the glory years and both being overpaid for not getting it done.  If either of them were able to do it like their mentors did they would be underpaid.  But both due to their mentorz are given a much longer leash than any coach in the country.

2005–06    Georgetown    23–10         NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2006–07    Georgetown    30–7               NCAA Final Four
2007–08    Georgetown    28–6                    NCAA Second Round
2008–09    Georgetown    16–15            NIT First Round
2009–10    Georgetown    23–11        NCAA First Round
2010–11    Georgetown    21–11        NCAA Second Round
2011–12    Georgetown    24–9           NCAA Third Round
2012–13    Georgetown    25–7            NCAA Second Round
2013–14    Georgetown    18–15        NIT Second Round
2014–15    Georgetown    22–11        NCAA Third Round

If someone told you that this would be Mike's NCAA record here his next 10 years at Arkansas (starting next season), would you take it?

FreshHog

after reading this thread ( thought it was safe to read these forums after beating the #5 team in the nation just LAST NIGHT ), I'm back to not reading jump ball... The moderators of this forum should be [CENSORED] embarassed they let this darn go on. What a joke.  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Woo Pig! :razorback:

Breems

Yeah, they had to spam it in this thread too. Friggen ridiculous. Just shut up. We suck this year and you are unhappy with Mike Anderson's state of the program in year 5. We get it.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: FreshHog on January 28, 2016, 05:04:36 pm
after reading this thread ( thought it was safe to read these forums after beating the #5 team in the nation just LAST NIGHT ), I'm back to not reading jump ball... The moderators of this forum should be [CENSORED] embarassed they let this darn go on. What a joke.  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Woo Pig! :razorback:

Thanks for derailing my thread. I could extend it into the top 10.

I also could have the worst 5 losses in the Michael Anderson era. If anyone wants to post that it's welcome.

This thread is open to both opinions as both are interesting  ;) :razorback: ;)

bvillepig

LOL I read perfectly well. Just trying to bring some perspective.

What was said was the only win that matters in the last five years is one NCAA win.

Why single out the last five without taking into account what has happened in the last 20.  There have been a lot of very good wins over the last five. There have also been some bad losses. In spite of that I see this team not quitting.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Breems on January 28, 2016, 05:12:09 pm
Yeah, they had to spam it in this thread too. Friggen ridiculous. Just shut up. We suck this year and you are unhappy with Mike Anderson's state of the program in year 5. We get it.

Exactly. Jump Ball was unbearable last year even when we were winning.

BRHogfan

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 28, 2016, 07:11:28 pm
Thanks for derailing my thread. I could extend it into the top 10.

I also could have the worst 5 losses in the Michael Anderson era. If anyone wants to post that it's welcome.

This thread is open to both opinions as both are interesting  ;) :razorback: ;)

Top 5 wins is a very interesting discussion.  Mike had 6 straight losses to ranked opponents coming into this game against Texas A&M.  His team was sub .500 in SEC play and on  the season.  He was on a 3 game losing streak.  If this turns out to be a season changing win, then it could definitely step up in the meaning.  That's one of the reasons why the 2013 win against #2 Florida isn't higher rated in my mind, because it didn't change anything.  It didn't prove anything. 

Captain Morgan

And Breems, I would add some of those to my top 10. The Georgia game on the road in 2015 was kinda a turning point in the season. I maybe underconsidered that one :razorback:

As for the 5 worst losses I think I could come up with that.

1. North Carolina 2015 NCAA Tournament
2. Cal 2014 NIT
3. South Carolina 2014 SEC Tournament
4. @Alabama 2014 end of regular season
5. Mercer 2015 in North Little Rock

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 28, 2016, 02:18:04 pm
1. Wofford 2015 in NCAA Tournament
2. Kentucky 2014 in Rupp Arena
3. Texas A&M 2016 in Bud Walton Arena
4. Michigan 2012 in Bud Walton Arena
5. Kentucky in 2014 in Bud Walton Arena (Qualls Dunk)

Great wins are wonderful but for me I want more wins.   A 20-12 record with one great win or a 25-7 with good wins but no great wins is better for me.  IOWs win all the 50/50 games show me much more about a team and coach than one great win and then lose most or all of your 50/50 games.  My opinion any way.

nwahogfan1

If we win only about half of our remaining games then I say the A&M will mean nothing but we got lucky once and A&M was not ready to play.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 29, 2016, 11:26:59 am
And Breems, I would add some of those to my top 10. The Georgia game on the road in 2015 was kinda a turning point in the season. I maybe underconsidered that one :razorback:

2. Cal 2014 NIT

2, 3 and 4 really stuck in my craw. 1 and 5? Not so much. North Carolina because they didn't really upset us. They had a very good team that year and was a bad match up for us and we still had a shot to win it. Mercer was disappointing because I thought the crowd was pretty good (I was there with the wife) and it seemed we were about to break open the game several times and it didn't happen.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 29, 2016, 11:44:53 am
If I hope we win only about half of our remaining games then I can say the A&M will mean nothing but we got lucky once and A&M was not ready to play.

FIFA
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 28, 2016, 03:18:20 pm
Good job mentioning the UGa and OM wins. 

I know I'm still in the minority on that second UK win because of how poorly they were playing at the time. 

OMG. Winning at Rupp is huge. Calipari has only lost like 7 games there. SMH

hogsanity

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 29, 2016, 11:26:59 am

2. Cal 2014 NIT

Bama 2014 has to be the worst. In a season where they beat KY TWICE, they go to Bama , likely only needing to split that and the SECT opener to make the NCAAT and they not only lose, they get absolutely embarrassed and run out of the gym.

FOr me, LSU this year was bad. Why? They lost it doing the same things they have done for 5 seasons. Inability to hit FT late, Beard could have given a 1 pt lead which would have changed the way the rest of the game was played. Then they get beat on the boards and give up a put back with 2 seconds left. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MountieDawg

I know everyone likes to talk about the 27 wins from last year, but other than the SMU win early in the season when they were without their best player what was the signature win last year.... The great team or really good that was beaten.... It was probably the worst the league had been in years.... 
SEC!

hogsanity

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 29, 2016, 01:36:38 pm
I know everyone likes to talk about the 27 wins from last year, but other than the SMU win early in the season when they were without their best player what was the signature win last year.... The great team or really good that was beaten.... It was probably the worst the league had been in years.... 

The Hogs had a good team last year. Portis and Qualls were capable of carrying the load, and they had good role players ( when they finally realized their roles ) in Harris and Madden.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2016, 01:33:12 pm
Bama 2014 has to be the worst. In a season where they beat KY TWICE, they go to Bama , likely only needing to split that and the SECT opener to make the NCAAT and they not only lose, they get absolutely embarrassed and run out of the gym.

Yep. 21-9 going into Bama. Lose two straight to two awful teams (Bama and SC), end up in the NIT.

Beat Bama and SC and you end up 23-10 (assuming you lose the next SECT game) and likely make the NCAAT. The momentum that would have given our program would have been valuable. It could have made the 2014-2015 season even better than what it was, and then the impact on recruiting and the national perception of our program.

Jackrabbit Hog

I thought last year when the White beat the Red, that was pretty big at the time.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 29, 2016, 01:56:35 pm
I thought last year when the White beat the Red, that was pretty big at the time.

One of the bigger Red-White games I can recall. I lost big money on that one.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on January 29, 2016, 02:05:41 pm
One of the bigger Red-White games I can recall. I lost big money on that one.

I took the points.  Big reason I'm cruising in the South Pacific as I type this.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 29, 2016, 01:56:35 pm

That loss to the white team was painful. I should have put it in top 5

Breems

Quote from: Captain Morgan on January 29, 2016, 02:49:56 pm
That loss to the white team was painful. I should have put it in top 5

We should not be losing the red/white game in year 4.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Breems on January 29, 2016, 03:24:45 pm
We should not be losing the red/white game in year 4.

Certainly not, That was grounds for termination. I'm done with him and his style