Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guards Driving the Lane

Started by Breems, January 28, 2016, 11:57:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Breems

I'm trying to determine if I'm dreaming something that isn't there.

My biggest complaint during the CMA era has been very passive guards that do not assert themselves and add no value to our offense, especially when it comes to driving the lane when jumpshots aren't falling.

This year, it seems most of our backcourt consistently makes an effort to create some offense from the dribble-drive. Hannahs and Bell don't have the strength and agility to finish a lot of plays with contact or draw fouls, but they do sneak in some (controversial) floaters and lightly-contested layups. Durham is fairly quick with the ball which results in a few layups, and he's been racking up assists all season with the dribble-drive. Whitt showed flashes of some finishing ability but against a poor Mizzou team. Beard gets a decent amount of baskets underneath given his size.

Our backcourt may not be the best at finishing under the rim or drawing a lot of fouls since they're undersized, but it's refreshing to me to see the dribble-drive included in our offense. Hopefully it continues with better guards on campus next year.

Anyone else agree? Am I imagining things?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

OnTheHillHogFan

I think that is what Barford will bring right away next year. A guard that can finish inside because of his size. I would say he and Manny are pretty much the same size though Barford may be a few pounds lighter.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

The_Iceman

I agree, which is why I wish we could also add Jaylen Fisher to this team, or some other quick penetrating PG. If this age of fouls, we need guards who can attack and draw contract or pass it out for open looks.

hogsanity

Quote from: Breems on January 28, 2016, 11:57:01 am

My biggest complaint during the CMA era has been very passive guards that do not assert themselves and add no value to our offense, especially when it comes to driving the lane when jumpshots aren't falling.

This year, it seems most of our backcourt consistently makes an effort to create some offense from the dribble-drive. Hannahs and Bell don't have the strength and agility to finish a lot of plays with contact or draw fouls, but they do sneak in some (controversial) floaters and lightly-contested layups. Durham is fairly quick with the ball which results in a few layups, and he's been racking up assists all season with the dribble-drive. Whitt showed flashes of some finishing ability but against a poor Mizzou team. Beard gets a decent amount of baskets underneath given his size.

Our backcourt may not be the best at finishing under the rim or drawing a lot of fouls since they're undersized, but it's refreshing to me to see the dribble-drive included in our offense. Hopefully it continues with better guards on campus next year.

It is there. Some of it has to do with how well they have been shooting from 3 pt land. Guys close out and DH and Bell have enough to be able to put it on the floor and get past them.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

I seem to remember Madden driving all the time, sometimes with no idea what to do once he got there. He didn't have the "tear drop", so he usually either tried to force a layup or pass.

phadedhawg

In every game we have a couple spells of passing around the perimeter and then jacking a three but this year I come away with the impression we are more aggressive in getting to the basket.

spahoopsfan

The guards are driving more, but the "controversial floaters" are only that way to a few.  Those floaters are going in at a greater percentage than the driving lay ins attempted by Durham and Watkins in particular. 

lynbug

Yes, it is refreshing that more of them are at least trying to be aggressive.  It's just scary when they do it when there's 10 sec. or less in a close game.  You inhale when they start the drive and exhale when you see the ball come up  from the middle of 2-3 tall trees and go into the basket.  You do other things when it don't go in.

Atlhogfan1

I think the spacing has been better this season.  Part of that the effect of having shooters.  Last season, some of our halfcourt possessions looked horrible in terms of spacing and movement.  I think this has contributed to Durham's assist numbers.  It is what makes last night's end of the first half possession so puzzling.  It was as if we wanted to just not give A&M the ball back.  The guards are doing a better job of putting pressure on defenses in terms of stopping the ball.  Beard has the Kareem Reid no fear which is unfortunate right now as Kareem had some awkward looking ways of finishing.  What breaking down the D also does is gives an opportunity to Moses for putbacks as his man rotates over.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

you are right. durham drives to pass first, not score, that is the difference between him & madden.

the fact that both bell & Hannah's are not just spot of shooters. they can make pull-ups, & floaters, has made the offense more diverse

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Cinco de Hogo

I agree, DH has really surprised me that he is able to penetrate off the dribble.  He's not great at it but better than I ever expected.

LA Football fan

Any guard that drives the lane has to mix up what they do once they get there from time to time.  Madden drives, you know he is going to shoot.  Durham drives, you know he is going to pass.  Coaches and defenders pick up on this and play defense accordingly.  A guard that can drive and shoot or pass equally effective is the type guard that puts the most pressure on a defense.  Hannah or Bell seem to be shooters first so defenders know they can come off their assignment and challenge them on the drive and not worry about a pass to their man they just left.  They need to work on dishing the ball inside when a defender challenges them.  Do that a few times and they will have an easier time getting a shot up on the drive.

Breems

Quote from: LA Football fan on January 28, 2016, 01:11:25 pm
Any guard that drives the lane has to mix up what they do once they get there from time to time.  Madden drives, you know he is going to shoot.  Durham drives, you know he is going to pass.  Coaches and defenders pick up on this and play defense accordingly.  A guard that can drive and shoot or pass equally effective is the type guard that puts the most pressure on a defense.  Hannah or Bell seem to be shooters first so defenders know they can come off their assignment and challenge them on the drive and not worry about a pass to their man they just left.  They need to work on dishing the ball inside when a defender challenges them.  Do that a few times and they will have an easier time getting a shot up on the drive.

We've never had guards skilled enough to be that diverse. Hopefully mext year.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Breems on January 28, 2016, 01:16:00 pm
We've never had guards skilled enough to be that diverse. Hopefully mext year.

Well we have but it seems a long time since we had one that didn't get into trouble one way or the other.