Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Moses and the Four Little Pigs

Started by lstewart, January 28, 2016, 08:06:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lstewart

Our starting line-up continues to shrink, with four smallish guards and Moses. That's probably our best group to win though, just hoping we can knock down enough 3's to offset the baskets we give up inside. Very good win, and exciting in the arena last night. This team is not great, but they are fun to watch when they are clicking.

hogsanity

I think it was no coincidence that the offense seemed to have a better flow to it with Miles only getting 9 minutes and Kouasi getting ZERO.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MountieDawg

I posted yesterday that I see next year being a 4 guard team and the guy thought I was crazy, looks like MA moved to it a year early.
SEC!

gmarv

they are fun to watch it seems to me manny plays bigger than he is.surprising to me is that hannahs is a better rebounder than I would of thought.

JenksHawg

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 28, 2016, 08:59:10 am
I posted yesterday that I see next year being a 4 guard team and the guy thought I was crazy, looks like MA moved to it a year early.

Last night the Warriors were playing 4 guards + Bogut against the Mavs

ShadowHawg

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 28, 2016, 08:59:10 am

We will see some 4 guard next year, but Cook will be here, the kid from Colorado becomes eligible, Thompson's role will expand, and Kingsley won't be getting fewer minutes.

We will have too many forwards to rely on a 4 guard lineup as a mainstay. MA likes to have a strong bench and playing our 4 best guards together all the time mitigates that strategy.

lynbug

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 28, 2016, 09:04:11 am
We will see some 4 guard next year, but Cook will be here, the kid from Colorado becomes eligible, Thompson's role will expand, and Kingsley won't be getting fewer minutes.

We will have too many forwards to rely on a 4 guard lineup as a mainstay. MA likes to have a strong bench and playing our 4 best guards together all the time mitigates that strategy.

Since we are talking about lineups....what's the deal with Jimmy Whitt?  I remember last summer and fall many posters were talking about what an immediate impact player he would be, the real deal, etc.  Do you think his lack of PT is a seniority thing, not hustling enough in practice?  Does anyone have any inside info.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Miles does seem to be more of a liability than an asset.  I think he is fine on defensive end but on offense it's painful.  It's like Larry Hands of Stone Satchell coaches him on his around the rim game. 

It also looked like Mike learned a bit from that first half drought during the GA game.  Coaches make mistakes, and what you like to see is learning/adjustments which it looks like Mike did.  Now if someone could just fix Jimmy Whitt's shot.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

lstewart

I think at this point we are most competitive playing 4 guards, since other than Moses, the guards are our best players, and best scorers. I never saw Whitt in high school, but his shot is seriously ugly. I don't know if he has messed it up since high school, and just scored all his points driving to the basket. But it seems at this time he really is a liability offensively.

code red

When the 3 drops we are competitive when it doesn't we are garbage.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

nwahogfan1

Quote from: lstewart on January 28, 2016, 08:06:00 am
Our starting line-up continues to shrink, with four smallish guards and Moses. That's probably our best group to win though, just hoping we can knock down enough 3's to offset the baskets we give up inside. Very good win, and exciting in the arena last night. This team is not great, but they are fun to watch when they are clicking.

They play hard  and can shoot the 3 ball very well at times but other times this line up will hurt us.  If these guys were super athletes then it would be great and I could see it taking us places.   We see high schools do this type of thing all the time because they do not recruit but have to play who they have on the team.  Our problem is we did not sign any scoring 6'5+ players so CMA is patching and playing the best he has so it is what it is. 

So the answer is Coach recruit bigger/better players who can play your style of BB so you do not have to patch. 

1hawgballer2

think at this point we are most competitive playing 4 guards, since other than Moses, the guards are our best players, and best scorers. I never saw Whitt in high school, but his shot is seriously ugly. I don't know if he has messed it up since high school, and just scored all his points driving to the basket. But it seems at this time he really is a liability offensively.

jchill

Quote from: gmarv on January 28, 2016, 08:59:44 am
they are fun to watch it seems to me manny plays bigger than he is.surprising to me is that hannahs is a better rebounder than I would of thought.

Hannahs is fearless as hell. I loved that off-balanced three he made. His play has been a very pleasant surprise. Hopefully he will stick it to TT Saturday.

lstewart

Yes, clearly we have glaring weaknesses and holes. Playing so small is just doing what gives us the best chance to win at this point. I think if this group would have returned a healthy Qualls, we would have been pretty salty. Teams are learning how to take away the easy look 3's, from us, so it is getting tough to win by just knocking them down.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: lynbug on January 28, 2016, 09:14:53 am
Since we are talking about lineups....what's the deal with Jimmy Whitt?  I remember last summer and fall many posters were talking about what an immediate impact player he would be, the real deal, etc.  Do you think his lack of PT is a seniority thing, not hustling enough in practice?  Does anyone have any inside info.

I just think it's him having to adjust his game at this level of competition. He needs to gain the confidence it takes to be a guy who drives a lot and finishes strong at the rim instead of settling for fade away jumpers.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 28, 2016, 11:23:14 am
I just think it's him having to adjust his game at this level of competition. He needs to gain the confidence it takes to be a guy who drives a lot and finishes strong at the rim instead of settling for fade away jumpers.
those fade away jumpers that are shot without enough arc to be a consistent weapon needs to change to slash and drive it to the rim and either take the shot yourself or maybe dish it to Kingsley to finish with a bang...that fall from the elbow on the court has got to go, and I mean never shoot it again
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 28, 2016, 12:07:09 pm
those fade away jumpers that are shot without enough arc to be a consistent weapon needs to change to slash and drive it to the rim and either take the shot yourself or maybe dish it to Kingsley to finish with a bang...that fall from the elbow on the court has got to go, and I mean never shoot it again

His fade away is good from 16 ft or so.  Defenses have learned that he can't hit those shots from further out.  Hannahs and Bell are great shooters and when only one is on the floor than it is easy to take that shot away and make the other guards beat you from the outside and they can't.  Beard is an okay shooter but no where near as good as Hannahs and Bell from three.  The problem with playing four guards is that too many of them are not tall. Miles made a couple of key blocks late in the game.
Playing Watkins on offense with 2 minutes to go in the game almost cost us the game due to his inability to hit a free throw.  A time out should have been called to get a player that can make a free throw, such as Whitt or Durham.

Kevin

Quote from: JenksHawg on January 28, 2016, 09:01:39 am
Last night the Warriors were playing 4 guards + Bogut against the Mavs

the warrior will play 4 guards & green at the 5. that is how they beat the cavs last year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Kevin on January 28, 2016, 12:37:59 pm
the warrior will play 4 guards & green at the 5. that is how they beat the cavs last year

Could have sworn David Lee played the five in the finals way more than anyone else after the first two games.