Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN complains about officiating. Hmmmm

Started by dsims2k3, January 27, 2016, 08:22:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on January 28, 2016, 04:13:00 pm
Don't get me wrong I expect them to make mistakes just as I will. But (and this is a peeve of mine so not saying it's true of you, it's just the state of the game currently) the way the game is being called now, at all levels, it has become almost impossible to play defense. The ball handler has such a huge advantage now and is allowed to get away with a lot more. The travels, the carries, and the defender has no reprieve. It also frustrates me to see how tight it's called out on the ball but inside it's a royal rumble. If you want to call it a certain way it should be that way inside and out. Rant over.

Well that is because offense puts butts in the seats. Same reason almost every rule change in the last 30 years in football has been to the advantage of the offense. Scoring goes down in bball, well it must be because the defense is bending the rules, could not have anything to do with players not being able to shoot anymore, they can score, but not shoot, and you know there is a difference in those two terms. It is why in college they reduced the shot clock, they want more scoring.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2016, 08:30:22 am
there is no such thing as over the back
How bout a push with the body to move someone and gain position and the ball, while being located behind the player with position.  ;D

"Over the back", should only be called when the rebounder that is blocked out with quickness and positioning, uses their own body to make contact with and move that other player out of the way to get to the ball.  Too many casual fans don't understand that if that blocked out player jumps straight up and makes little contact with the body and takes the ball away, that is an excellent athletic play and not a foul.  I always watch for the amount of body contact during rebounding to see if the player goes "through" the rebounder with position to get the ball.

When you call a foul on a rebound, do you call it a push?  Just curious.

Carl Lazlo

What that player did to Moses Kingsley as he got ready for a defensive rebound resembled a devastating blind side hockey check.  I guess the officials thought MK violently threw himself to the hardwood on purpose ?

Lowdown

Been an official for about 16 years in Texas. Not sure about Arkansaw exceptions, but in high school ball the defender is allowed to size-up the offensive player with his hand, but is not allowed to keep his hand on the offensive player. If he does, then that is a foul.

Will talk to players at the beginning of the game and they need to make the adjustment. We try and ref advantage/disadvantage, stay away from marginal fouls and always protect the shooter..... Can't ref post play the same as front court play, game will quickly get out of hand

ChicoHog

Quote from: Boarmonger on January 28, 2016, 04:41:03 pm
This is exactly what I was trying to say earlier.  If you allow contact inside, you have to allow it outside.  Call it tight outside, you call it tight inside.  That's the only fair way.
Totally disagree with you.  Because of the nature of the game there is going to be more pushing and shoving for position inside especially going for a rebound.  I think they should let them play a little off the ball, going for a rebound as an example, but call it tight on the perimeter especially the defender on the ball.  No reason to grab and hold.  We guard a guy in his face 35 ft from the basket when he is no threat to score and he blows right by his man or we make a stupid foul.  That's what drives me nuts. This year has been much better than previous years under Anderson.  Not making as many dumb fouls. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Lowdown on January 28, 2016, 10:49:43 pm
Been an official for about 16 years in Texas. Not sure about Arkansaw exceptions, but in high school ball the defender is allowed to size-up the offensive player with his hand, but is not allowed to keep his hand on the offensive player. If he does, then that is a foul.

Will talk to players at the beginning of the game and they need to make the adjustment. We try and ref advantage/disadvantage, stay away from marginal fouls and always protect the shooter..... Can't ref post play the same as front court play, game will quickly get out of hand

Thanks for insight.  Good to hear from an official and I like the way you try to call the game. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Upon a second read through, how @#%$&# dare ESPN complain about the refs!

Where were they when we got a total jobbing at Dayton?
We've gotten some serious home cooking this year alone.  This game wasn't that badly called.  They also had some ''makeup'' calls for some earlier poor calls as well.

If anything, the way this game was officiated favored aTm the second half.  They abused us under the boards the second half with the whistle going their way the majority of the time.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2016, 04:55:11 pm
Well that is because offense puts butts in the seats. Same reason almost every rule change in the last 30 years in football has been to the advantage of the offense. Scoring goes down in bball, well it must be because the defense is bending the rules, could not have anything to do with players not being able to shoot anymore, they can score, but not shoot, and you know there is a difference in those two terms. It is why in college they reduced the shot clock, they want more scoring.
However, it has had the opposite effect. The hand check rule didn't improve offensive scoring. It had actually went down, WHICH is why they lowered the shot clock. What they thought would work didn't, and instead of loosening up on the hand check, they continue to tighten it and then decided to lower the shot clock (which girls was already at 30) to match women's basketball.

azhog10

Quote from: Lowdown on January 28, 2016, 10:49:43 pm

And I respect that. I appreciate officials who, if they think the defender has had a hand on too long, will actually say to the defender "get the hand off" instead of blowing his whistle on a play that really no one gained an advantage or kept the ball handler from getting somewhere. I understand the part on post play, however that was one new POE this year that I think, as you stated, is really difficult to do.

azhog10

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 28, 2016, 11:34:12 pm
Totally disagree with you.  Because of the nature of the game there is going to be more pushing and shoving for position inside especially going for a rebound.  I think they should let them play a little off the ball, going for a rebound as an example, but call it tight on the perimeter especially the defender on the ball.  No reason to grab and hold.  We guard a guy in his face 35 ft from the basket when he is no threat to score and he blows right by his man or we make a stupid foul.  That's what drives me nuts. This year has been much better than previous years under Anderson.  Not making as many dumb fouls.
I slightly disagree. However my comments on post play have more to do when the guy has the ball, or he becomes a focal point i.e. guard is trying to enter it into the post. A big man can have the ball in the post and is arm barred, or bodied up in a way that out top it's a foul, underneath it's "let them play". Shouldn't be a double standard. A guy with the ball should be treated the same. So if you let post defenders do one thing, then guards on the ball should also be able to do it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on January 28, 2016, 05:10:05 pm
How bout a push with the body to move someone and gain position and the ball, while being located behind the player with position.  ;D

"Over the back", should only be called when the rebounder that is blocked out with quickness and positioning, uses their own body to make contact with and move that other player out of the way to get to the ball.  Too many casual fans don't understand that if that blocked out player jumps straight up and makes little contact with the body and takes the ball away, that is an excellent athletic play and not a foul.  I always watch for the amount of body contact during rebounding to see if the player goes "through" the rebounder with position to get the ball.

When you call a foul on a rebound, do you call it a push?  Just curious.

Yes, it is a push or a hold if he grabs an arm or wraps an arm around the waist or something like that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Cry me a river ESPN we get shafted regularly on the road.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.