Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

APATHY and excuses

Started by Mr. Porkleone, January 23, 2016, 08:00:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 26, 2016, 09:51:32 am
What we see is that Mike Anderson knows how to develop raw talent. He knows how to cater to the strengths of his better players. But his system requires sufficient depth, and without it, his teams will fall a little short in the toughest games.

The only thing to really question is whether Anderson can bring in enough players to catch up with the best of the SEC, when he has to operate under restrictive juco admission standards.

Well, he could, oh I don't know, do what most programs do and sign high school kids. Just a thought.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogman99 on January 26, 2016, 09:56:28 am
The underlying theme is also he needs to coach better and be able to adjust.

I made that comment within the context of what we all know to be his "system."  He's not going to change, so until/unless we get enough solid players to run it with some depth, we're going to continue to lose games we could probably be winning with just a few more plays a game.

I know he's giving it 100%, but Trey Thompson gets the ball with no one within 8 feet of him, and he just looks to pass.  Just a FT line jumper threat, and he's at least going to prevent his defender from helping on someone else.  Like I said...just a few more players on THIS team, and they would be pretty good. 

Question is...and will remain, can he get enough players to run it effectively enough to win the SEC and make a splash nationally?  Not so far, although last season was a HUGE improvement, and this season we're closer than I ever though we would be.  At least we're losing close games and being competitive most of the time, so it could be worse.

Let's face it, while I would LOVE for him to abandon the press and make other adjustments, I know he WON'T.  I know he's going to keep playing his system.  So...he better get some more depth and some difference makers, or he won't be the coach in a few seasons IMO.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Paul

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 26, 2016, 04:00:57 pm
I made that comment within the context of what we all know to be his "system."  He's not going to change, so until/unless we get enough solid players to run it with some depth, we're going to continue to lose games we could probably be winning with just a few more plays a game.

I know he's giving it 100%, but Trey Thompson gets the ball with no one within 8 feet of him, and he just looks to pass.  Just a FT line jumper threat, and he's at least going to prevent his defender from helping on someone else.  Like I said...just a few more players on THIS team, and they would be pretty good. 

Question is...and will remain, can he get enough players to run it effectively enough to win the SEC and make a splash nationally?  Not so far, although last season was a HUGE improvement, and this season we're closer than I ever though we would be.  At least we're losing close games and being competitive most of the time, so it could be worse.

Let's face it, while I would LOVE for him to abandon the press and make other adjustments, I know he WON'T.  I know he's going to keep playing his system.  So...he better get some more depth and some difference makers, or he won't be the coach in a few seasons IMO.     
If the kid can't/won't shoot a wide open 8 footer after 1.5 yrs in the program, either the coaching staff has failed him or he didn't fit the "system" to begin with & shouldn't have been signed.  Don't throw the kid under the bus.     

TexomaRazorback

Have you looked at the rest of the schedule. No way a winning season.

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 24, 2016, 07:35:49 pm
Well season isn't over yet.  He has never had a losing season before so we will see if it ends up that way or not.

hogsanity

Quote from: Paul on January 26, 2016, 04:51:05 pm
If the kid can't/won't shoot a wide open 8 footer after 1.5 yrs in the program, either the coaching staff has failed him or he didn't fit the "system" to begin with & shouldn't have been signed.  Don't throw the kid under the bus.     

The problem is we have at least 3 guys who are like that. Watkins, Thompson and Miles. What gets me about Miles, against both KY and GA he came out and hit a 16 footer early against both, then did nothing else. If Watkins just is not going to shoot from more than 5 feet, and I am not sure I have ever seen Thompson take a shot. He has only taken 42 shots in over 300 minutes played in his season and a half.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Paul on January 26, 2016, 04:51:05 pm

Not throwing anyone under the bus.  But you're making the point...if he's the talent we're relying on developing, then there's an issue somewhere.  It's indicative of what some are saying...we need to recruit better, and as of right now, today, we don't have enough talented depth to run MA's system. 

The million dollar question is...WHEN will that happen?  How many years?  He's into his 5th.  Do we see guys on the way to make the difference and pick up for what we're losing?  Is chasing JUCO players a long term strategy, or a "get by" strategy with the hope that he gets a full team of talent to win some games, and up the recruits' interest moving forward? 

What has to change?  That's what I think many are asking.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Illinihog

One thing that drives me nuts and it's not just a MA problem it's a college basketball problem.  17 seconds left vs. UGA tied and we have the ball pushing it up the floor.  We call a TO in front of our own bench.  UGA was scrambling to get back and we had been moving the ball better the last 4 minutes of the game.  I was in the crowd, the entire crowd knew we would score.  And then Mike calls a TO to set up that final play, and we couldn't even get the ball in bounds.  It drives me nuts how much the coaches  try to control certain things instead of trusting their players to make the play.  That is stuff that should be covered in practice.  Go over situations so in that instance your guys are prepared.

Big Boi

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 26, 2016, 04:00:57 pm

I'm frustrated with CMA recruiting and roster talent. However I have seen this team play zone a different points in several games.

Trey is our 2nd best passer on the team and his main strength. I'll start paying more attention but I thought most of his passes came from above the free throw line.

Hihog

Been away for a while where's FCJ? Dead...sulking, etc?

Danny J

Quote from: Big Boi on January 27, 2016, 04:08:26 pm
I'm frustrated with CMA recruiting and roster talent. However I have seen this team play zone a different points in several games.

Trey is our 2nd best passer on the team and his main strength. I'll start paying more attention but I thought most of his passes came from above the free throw line.
He is a good passer while the middle man in the zone but that is when a defender comes out on him. When the defender sags off daring him to shoot he needs to shoot. I would Hazzard a guess he turns down at least 4 wide open shots from the elbow in tonight's fame. Hope I am wrong and he starts shooting tonight. We need production from that spot.

wheelspigharvey

I don't know if apathy is that deep.  We're not winning, people won't watch.  Everybody at Tim's Pizza had at least one eye on the TV.  People want to enjoy it, if the team can get back to winning they will come.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: TexomaRazorback on January 26, 2016, 09:56:19 pm
Have you looked at the rest of the schedule. No way a winning season.

I'm pretty sure there is still a way to finish .500 or above.   I see your post was before tonight's game.  Do you still think there is no chance? 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 27, 2016, 08:09:56 pm
I don't know if apathy is that deep.  We're not winning, people won't watch.  Everybody at Tim's Pizza had at least one eye on the TV.  People want to enjoy it, if the team can get back to winning they will come.

Totally agree.  That's always been the case.  The trick is, getting all of the pieces in place to have some back to back winning seasons to bring back the interest.  Tonight was a step in the right direction.  I just wish we could have managed to be competitive with KY.  That would have helped too. 

I want MA to succeed.  I just know from experience that it's going to be with his system, regardless of how many adjustments it seems he could make, or things he could do "on the fly" to help. 

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 27, 2016, 10:42:31 pm
Totally agree.  That's always been the case.  The trick is, getting all of the pieces in place to have some back to back winning seasons to bring back the interest.  Tonight was a step in the right direction.  I just wish we could have managed to be competitive with KY.  That would have helped too. 

I want MA to succeed.  I just know from experience that it's going to be with his system, regardless of how many adjustments it seems he could make, or things he could do "on the fly" to help. 

See, I think it is more than just winning some games. Yes, the crowds always grow if they have won 3 or 4 in a row, but people can watch now from just about anywhere. I can be on a trip and watch on the plane or the car. I do not have to find a way to get up to BWA for a 6pm tip off or 8pm tipoff or whatever time to watch the Hogs.

But, and most do not want to admit it, outside of the hardcore would get up at 3 am if the Hogs were playing a late game in Hawaii, or would drive up old 71 in a foot of snow with ice underneath to watch them play Tennessee Vo Tech, most college basketball fans ONLY care about the conf tournaments and the ncaat tournament.

I could not sleep last night so I was watching Utah and Cal play the late game on ESPNU. It was a pretty good game, Utah has a couple really good players. Not sure what the attendance was, but I would not be surprised if more people were at the game than total tv viewers because NO ONE CARES about a mid season game anymore unless it is 2 highly rated teams. 

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2016, 08:51:52 am
See, I think it is more than just winning some games. Yes, the crowds always grow if they have won 3 or 4 in a row, but people can watch now from just about anywhere. I can be on a trip and watch on the plane or the car. I do not have to find a way to get up to BWA for a 6pm tip off or 8pm tipoff or whatever time to watch the Hogs.

But, and most do not want to admit it, outside of the hardcore would get up at 3 am if the Hogs were playing a late game in Hawaii, or would drive up old 71 in a foot of snow with ice underneath to watch them play Tennessee Vo Tech, most college basketball fans ONLY care about the conf tournaments and the ncaat tournament.

I could not sleep last night so I was watching Utah and Cal play the late game on ESPNU. It was a pretty good game, Utah has a couple really good players. Not sure what the attendance was, but I would not be surprised if more people were at the game than total tv viewers because NO ONE CARES about a mid season game anymore unless it is 2 highly rated teams.

It's true that we might not be able to get people from all over the state out in droves unless it's a big matchup, but if we win more it will start with people in the NWA/River Valley/central Ozarks area making the effort to get here, and if we keep it going, that could spread to all over.  I think there are enough people that WOULD come to a game if we were really good that live within relatively easy driving distance. 

hogsanity

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on January 28, 2016, 09:05:46 am
It's true that we might not be able to get people from all over the state out in droves unless it's a big matchup, but if we win more it will start with people in the NWA/River Valley/central Ozarks area making the effort to get here, and if we keep it going, that could spread to all over.  I think there are enough people that WOULD come to a game if we were really good that live within relatively easy driving distance. 

Honestly, 10K in attendance on a Wed night at 6pm coming off 3 straight losses is a really good crowd.

The thing is, between being able to watch anywhere, and being able to get instant tickets off Stub hub their is no urgency, at all, about going to a game. I live in FS, if I decide to go to just about any Hog game, I can go on stub hub 2 hours before tip off and buy tickets, print them out and head up to the game. When there is no urgency, it is real easy to just not go.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2016, 09:18:22 am
Honestly, 10K in attendance on a Wed night at 6pm coming off 3 straight losses is a really good crowd.

The thing is, between being able to watch anywhere, and being able to get instant tickets off Stub hub their is no urgency, at all, about going to a game. I live in FS, if I decide to go to just about any Hog game, I can go on stub hub 2 hours before tip off and buy tickets, print them out and head up to the game. When there is no urgency, it is real easy to just not go.

There are always reasons not to go.  I agree, and a big part of the reason people aren't attending sporting events is the excellent TV coverage.  No argument here.  But winning will make it better, and it will make more recruits interested, which should ultimately put more people in the seats. 

I just like the live atmosphere that TV can't duplicate even remotely, and while I had very little hope we would win that game, I'm glad I ended up going.  My excuse was almost not to go, because I'm tired of watching us lose at the end.  I thought for sure that's would be what would happen again, and Hannahs' off balance shot from the corner at the shot clock buzzer was what won the game for us, or it likely may have been another heart breaker.

I've been hard on Mike for some things this year, but I do agree that a big part of this team's inability to win close games is not having an on court leader with experience.  We don't have a "go to" player in crunch time, and while Madden drove me nuts at times, at least his belief and confidence helped the team overall in those situations.

It really comes down to defensive effort with MA's teams, and whether they are close at the end.  If we're at full speed and 100% effort, we're usually pretty competitive.  When we're not, that style fails.  That extra 1/2 step that the home crowd gives our team seems to make all the difference in the world with that style, and hopefully it will click that they can do that on the road too and they'll close out the season better than most expected, myself included. 

Hey...I may see flaws and wish things were different, but last night...we won that game pure and simply because of how many turnovers TAMU had.  Period.       

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 28, 2016, 11:17:33 am
There are always reasons not to go.  I agree, and a big part of the reason people aren't attending sporting events is the excellent TV coverage.  No argument here.  But winning will make it better, and it will make more recruits interested, which should ultimately put more people in the seats. 

I just like the live atmosphere that TV can't duplicate even remotely, and while I had very little hope we would win that game, I'm glad I ended up going.  My excuse was almost not to go, because I'm tired of watching us lose at the end.  I thought for sure that's would be what would happen again, and Hannahs' off balance shot from the corner at the shot clock buzzer was what won the game for us, or it likely may have been another heart breaker.

I've been hard on Mike for some things this year, but I do agree that a big part of this team's inability to win close games is not having an on court leader with experience.  We don't have a "go to" player in crunch time, and while Madden drove me nuts at times, at least his belief and confidence helped the team overall in those situations.

It really comes down to defensive effort with MA's teams, and whether they are close at the end.  If we're at full speed and 100% effort, we're usually pretty competitive.  When we're not, that style fails.  That extra 1/2 step that the home crowd gives our team seems to make all the difference in the world with that style, and hopefully it will click that they can do that on the road too and they'll close out the season better than most expected, myself included. 

Hey...I may see flaws and wish things were different, but last night...we won that game pure and simply because of how many turnovers TAMU had.  Period.       

That game was almost a carbon copy of the Vandy game. Hogs were like -12 or -14 on the boards, shot way fewer ft's, but were +11? in To margin. The problem is we have to have the other team be that careless with the ball, AND not shoot very well, AND the Hogs have to shoot very well, especially from three range, to barely hang on to win at home.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2016, 11:20:12 am
That game was almost a carbon copy of the Vandy game. Hogs were like -12 or -14 on the boards, shot way fewer ft's, but were +11? in To margin. The problem is we have to have the other team be that careless with the ball, AND not shoot very well, AND the Hogs have to shoot very well, especially from three range, to barely hang on to win at home.

Texas Tech vs the old man then it's to the swamp where I believe the last time they won there was 22 years ago.  ;)