Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Gruden--MERGED

Started by jbcarol, April 15, 2012, 03:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WayneHawg

I am starting their are no college coaches with high moral standards!!

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

strawhog

Richard_white

Quote from: rhames on April 15, 2012, 09:07:45 pm
Would he keep the staff?

Not sure about 2012. But Jay Gruden could be a possibility as OC.

RazorPiggie

Cure

When Gruden negotiated with Miami, he was slotted to bring Jay Gruden in as OC and Jim Leavitt in as DC.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Dropkick

If Jeff Long hired Gruden tomorrow some of you haters would still be on his arse. Let the man do his job.

little pigee

Quote from: nonamer66 on April 15, 2012, 03:45:03 pm
he also has a record of 95 wins, 81 loses   .540 avg

that was dungy's team that won the superbowl.

doesn't impress me. I think gruden could mess up the chemistry of this staff if he came in this year. I'm all for him taking the job but I'd rather him stay in the coaches box for this season.
So let him win a NC with Petrino's team.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Triple T on April 15, 2012, 08:43:42 pm
Gruden.

Pete would obviously be a great hire, but I doubt he would stay here more than 5-10 years due to his age. He's already proven every possible thing on the college level.

With Gruden, you get a squeaky clean young guy who has already had tremendous success on the pro level. He would instantly make us media darlings, every analyst on ESPN would be talking us up. We would have top 10 recruiting classes every year and I think he's a guy that would stay here 20 years if he liked it enough.

Can't go wrong with either, but Gruden is young and hungry, has a clean record, and everybody loves him.
It's true. Chucky would be amazing and all these 5hi7 talking haters who've been laughing at us will be speechless.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

little pigee

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Cure on April 15, 2012, 09:10:40 pm
When Gruden negotiated with Miami, he was slotted to bring Jay Gruden in as OC and Jim Leavitt in as DC.
That's huge. Leavitt as an assistant would be a huge, huge get.

duckman, any clue at all if this is a "well, I need to take a minute off the golf course, might as well talk to ark" type of thing or more serious?

rhames

So is this something to be excited about?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

TNRazorbacker

Help me understand why Pete Carroll would leave his NFL coaching job to come to Arkansas? This isn't a smart ass question either- I'm truly asking? Did I miss something, has something been leaked about his being interested? Otherwise I'm just not understanding why anyone would think this is a  possibility. From what I've read the man is making more than double what we were paying Petrino??

BloodRedHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 15, 2012, 08:51:22 pm
Yeah, I'm not saying who Long had on his short list because I have no idea and I am sure he is the only one who does. I just believe like the vast majority of organized AD's, he had a list ready to go in case of a rainy day...and right now it is pouring.

I agree that we lucked into BP at the time, but despite this and the rumors at the time surrounding Grobe and others, we'll never know what Long was really doing because he plays this all very close to the vest.

Agreed
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

WilsonHog

"Interest" means just that. Doesn't mean any more than that. Just know that we happen to have one of our most famous alums who is a friend of Gruden's, and leave it there for now.

IronHog

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on April 15, 2012, 09:13:39 pm
Help me understand why Pete Carroll would leave his NFL coaching job to come to Arkansas? This isn't a smart ass question either- I'm truly asking? Did I miss something, has something been leaked about his being interested? Otherwise I'm just not understanding why anyone would think this is a  possibility. From what I've read the man is making more than double what we were paying Petrino??

Fun.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Just think Gruden could be about the only one I can think of that could possibly say i've won a Super Bowl and a BCSNCG if he was to come here.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

WayneHawg

Quote from: lewisfoxtrot on April 15, 2012, 08:24:12 pm
Jim Leavitt is not a pipe dream and would make a very good coach.
Well he's more of a fighter than a lover.Both of our last two coaches have been more of the lover variety!

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

whitemeat

My brother-in-law is an A Club alumni and he says it's just up to Gruden to reach out and take it.  He has been offered.
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

kaiserhog

kingofdequeen

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on April 15, 2012, 09:17:28 pm
Just think Gruden could be about the only one I can think of that could possibly say i've won a Super Bowl and a BCSNCG if he was to come here.

you may not like how he got them, but he's got em.

IronHog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2012, 09:21:50 pm

you may not like how he got them, but he's got em.

All the coaches in the JFB coaching tree and we end up with freaking Nutt............
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

McmerleHOG

Quote from: str8volfan on April 15, 2012, 07:37:08 pm
you are right, everything about Arky's football program is and always has been head and shoulders above UT's.

*snickers*

aahhh dang.  this dude brought out the "arky".  Civil conversation till you start calling us names on our board.  FYI, we can call you Tenner but you can't call us Arky.  Tenner  ;)

Seriously though, maybe this is just something that only Hog fans understand... it's about where we are right now and where we are headed.  past doesn't matter and in no way makes a current team any less of a team because they don't have the "history". 

Prior to the petrino debacle, I think most would agree that the hogs were a better team with a better overall program than the vols.  This could change in a few years, but at the moment we probably have an edge on where the vols were after they lost Kiffin.  I say probably because there's no way to know for sure, and I would still consider ya'll a top-gig job, though honestly I don't know what all happened and who you tried to hire before dooley (Kiffin was a home run, IMO, and that whole debacle sucks for ya'll). 

Back on topic, I just don't see John freaking Gruden or Pete Carroll running to be the next HC of the razorbacks, even if John Daly wants gruden here.
Small is the new huge.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Catfish Joe on April 15, 2012, 08:30:18 pm
This. Arkansas should be much more enticing. Miami isn't the Miami of early 2000 or late 80's.

Bring on Jon, Jay, and Leavitt!!

What a combo this would be... Leavit would not be my choice for HC, but for Def Coord... heck yes

strawhog

Quote from: whitemeat on April 15, 2012, 09:21:04 pm
My brother-in-law is an A Club alumni and he says it's just up to Gruden to reach out and take it.  He has been offered.
sounds like a little more than just interest.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

RazorPiggie

Nipsey Mussle

Is this guy usually credible?

I can't imagine the job has been offered unless there's been some serious talks

HogNuttz

Quote from: duckman on April 15, 2012, 08:37:59 pm
Just got off the phone, Gruden is interested...... fact.  Where it goes from here who knows?

Just like you said it was fact that DGB was coming to Arkansas, or the kind of fact that is actually true?
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

WilsonHog

Check your PMs, please.

duckcmmndr

Just got off the phone, Gruden is interested...... fact.  Where it goes from here who knows?

From your mouth to Gods ears!  I hope you are right and Long follows up on it.

HogNationMan

Well, this made my day.  ;D
When you speak, all I ask of is the truth.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

whitemeat

April 15, 2012, 09:28:43 pm #284 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:38:38 pm by WilsonHog
My brother-in-law played for Holtz.  He stays in close contact to the powers that be.
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

Mason

Jay Gruden just became the OC for the Bengals.  When the Miami job was in play he was coaching in the UFL.  Not sure he would still be part of the equation.  (Assuming there was one.)
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading.  The few who learn by observation.  The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.----Will Rogers

HogNationMan

But Joe Schad isn't reporting this....  ;)
When you speak, all I ask of is the truth.

Calling All Hogs

If Gruden came recruiting would be incredible.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: helmuthjr21 on April 15, 2012, 09:12:25 pm
That's huge. Leavitt as an assistant would be a huge, huge get.

duckman, any clue at all if this is a "well, I need to take a minute off the golf course, might as well talk to ark" type of thing or more serious?

Yep, he would beat those defensive players into shape during the week, and teach them in Sunday School every Sunday.

HogSchmog

No chance with Gruden.  Don't trust a guy who sells leopard-skinned golf pants out of his van for beer money.

BloodRedHog

So.....if this thread goes to the Trash Can soon, we will know the PM was not answered sufficiently, and Chuckie was not offered.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: CallMeHog on April 15, 2012, 09:30:24 pm
If Gruden came recruiting would be incredible.

Is he a good recruiter?

hog911

Quote from: nonamer66 on April 15, 2012, 08:11:06 pm
I did some digging and found this http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/report-tv-contract-blocked-jon-gruden-from-taking-miami-job/
if Miami could not do it how can little ol arkansas. There is no way Gruden will coach here because the new contract he just signed goes into affect this Sept for a 5 year extension.

We need to stop day dreaming over this guy because he just likes the attention he gets for himself oh and espn likes it too.
The fans in this state need to start thinking like winners! Championship Teams started out based on preception!!!!! Believe It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kingofdequeen

this reeks of over-reaching.

...not convinced this is legit.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on April 15, 2012, 09:32:06 pm
Is he a good recruiter?

Unknown, but after him doing his series on critiquing and breaking down Heisman winners and invitees, every HS QB in the country knows who he is. I think he would be strong in the living rooms of recruits.
Go Hogs Go!

Boarcephus

Neither one of them.  Arkansas has a ton to offer and when you think about it, very few coaches leave voluntarily once they live here.  I want someone who wants to be here and neither of these guys do.  This is a temporary stop for both of them.

Bring in Garrick or promote Haynes or Paul and we should have stability for years.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on April 15, 2012, 09:32:06 pm
Is he a good recruiter?

I'm guessing he would be since all the big recruits have watched him on Monday Night Football since 2009 and ESPN in general. That is only an assumption since his college experience was limited.

duckman

Quote from: HogNuttz on April 15, 2012, 09:26:23 pm
Just like you said it was fact that DGB was coming to Arkansas, or the kind of fact that is actually true?

Not going there, even the coach was lied to on that one.

There is interest and ESPN is aware of it, dont know anymore than that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2012, 09:34:58 pm
this reeks of over-reaching.

...not convinced this is legit.

Apparently, at this time, it has legs.
Go Hogs Go!

HF#1

Anyone tracking a plane from Drake to Tampa?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin