Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are awful again

Started by Germx, November 23, 2012, 07:46:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Germx

Just awful.  Can't imagine how bad we will be without BJ Young.  Wow

3kgthog

I think they'll get better, but the defense will remain pathetic.

BigHog396

pfrg999

That was Horrible tonight... NO defense, NO ONE CAN SHOOT... Powell was absent and Mickleson is.. well Tall (10 pts total 6 of them after it was over)... And there was no one else besides BJ.. Madden is a mediocre to decent player, Scott - Maybe he will be adequate? But he is earning bench and mop up time, Heck put in Kieko.. could he do worse?
Mike has got to recruit and wait for the stink of Pelfrey to wear off!
Anyway bad night!..
Hopefully they will play better

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 23, 2012, 07:48:42 pm
I think they'll get better, but the defense will remain pathetic.
What's up with the they will get better, or wait til Feb be a whole different team... Lets face facts there pitful , I got bashed cause I said I don't know if they can win 20 games.. I don't know now if we can win 15 !

razorbak

It was not til Nolan's 4th year when you could tell he was building a basketball power-house.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

BigHog396

Quote from: razorbak on November 23, 2012, 08:12:47 pm
It was not til Nolan's 4th year when you could tell he was building a basketball power-house.
Have you not noticed that the 40 MoH style has not worked in nearly 2 decades?

MA is going to have to bring in some MEN, if he is ever going to do anything here.  Knowing that Hunter was going to be the only big left for this season, and not getting at least 1 or 2 more for this year, was a HUGE mistake.  Let's hope the 2 guys he signed for next year can start the trend rolling that direction, but I don't see this team going anywhere.... and the thing that sucks the most, is that we won't have BJ to lean on next year!

The Hogfather

Quote from: BigHog396 on November 23, 2012, 08:20:11 pm

MA is going to have to bring in some MEN, if he is ever going to do anything here.  Knowing that Hunter was going to be the only big left for this season, and not getting at least 1 or 2 more for this year, was a HUGE mistake.  Let's hope the 2 guys he signed for next year can start the trend rolling that direction, but I don't see this team going anywhere.... and the thing that sucks the most, is that we won't have BJ to lean on next year!

He's bringing some men.  I just wish they were here this year.  This team is not going to be very good this year.  We'll get better as the year goes on, but I'm not so sure we're going to make the NCAAT this year.  I do think we'll be a little better next season, though.  I just had a rude awakening tonight.  We did not look good against an average-to-bad team.

latrops

870hogfan

Danny J

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on November 23, 2012, 08:06:42 pm
What's up with the they will get better, or wait til Feb be a whole different team... Lets face facts there pitful , I got bashed cause I said I don't know if they can win 20 games.. I don't know now if we can win 15 !
Did you by any chance push this and the above reply popped out?

Seriously though....we will get better and look different come February. Remember....we have 9 players including Powell playing with each other for the first time against decent competition. I am rather glad we had the chance to face a team like this early on. A team with good 1, 2 and 5 play which are the teams we struggled against last year. I assure you that we will improve a lot.

Smithian

Quote from: Smithian on November 23, 2012, 09:22:49 pm
Anyone thinking of blowing their brains out over this loss should go ahead and do the world a favor and do it.

Hog Pharm

It worked pretty well at Missouri.

slopman

Quote from: pfrg999 on November 23, 2012, 08:06:06 pm
That was Horrible tonight... NO defense, NO ONE CAN SHOOT... Powell was absent and Mickleson is.. well Tall (10 pts total 6 of them after it was over)... And there was no one else besides BJ.. Madden is a mediocre to decent player, Scott - Maybe he will be adequate? But he is earning bench and mop up time, Heck put in Kieko.. could he do worse?
Mike has got to recruit and wait for the stink of Pelfrey to wear off!
Anyway bad night!..
Hopefully they will play better

WoW blaminig it on phelphey, what goob.  This is all on Anderson period. To get beat that bad is all on Anderson period. No excuses, just plain bad basketball.

Mr. Porkleone

Mike needs 100% of his own players.

kuhog

Quote from: ljean on November 23, 2012, 10:06:52 pm

It didn't work that well at Missouri either. The best the Tigers ever finished in the Big 12 was 3rd place (2008-09 season). Mike Andersons third season. The next best finish was 5th. Actually, in Big 12 play, Anderson was only 6 games above .500 over a five year period.

ThreeWayInn

It is not Pelphrey's fault...you cannot really be serious.

CMA...to 3 or 4 coach in the country...he will get it done....just not sure how long it is going to take.  The soph class is somewhat disappointing.

Because of the coaching...still think we make the tourney this year.

Lanny

Patience, be patient with this young team.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Hog Pharm

Quote from: kuhog on November 23, 2012, 11:40:12 pm
It didn't work that well at Missouri either. The best the Tigers ever finished in the Big 12 was 3rd place (2008-09 season). Mike Andersons third season. The next best finish was 5th. Actually, in Big 12 play, Anderson was only 6 games above .500 over a five year period.

Elite 8. Enough said.

Hogfaniam

this is a team that will live and die by their first shot.  if they are falling, look out.  there will be some games this year that we will run good teams out of the building.  and then the next night lose to fricken ole miss.  this is another year we could use brandon mitchell throwing cross body blocks going for rebounds, cause nobody else looks like they want to. 

it will take time to get all the pieces together.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Tusks

MA has a great coaching staff.....if they can recruit as good as NR....who admits he didn't enjoy recruiting....the program will be fine.  In not blaming pelphry but he had f'd up program.  The style still works.....it takes 13 specific type players and he will get there......it's a style that only 4 or 5 coaches know how to coach it......paterno.....the gator......CMA.......and a couple others out there......it's based off of defense.......so they will get there but it may take longer than NR.....he got the benefit of rebuilding in the SWC.......MA has to do it in the SEC....that may taken an extra season for MA.
If MA can have the same win % after year 5 that NR had after his 5th year....all will be good.....I think good times ahead.....yr. 4 should be MA's big big breakout.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Breems

Define "worked."

If you mean "worked" as in "has it won a championship in 2 decades," then you've got a pretty long list of systems that don't "work."

If you mean "worked" as in having success, we're in good shape and it works fine.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

rude1

I know this is a young team, but that should show up in turnovers and offensive execution. Getting beat all night long with drives to the basket for layups has little to nothing to do with youth. This is a bad defensive basketball team, compounded with the excessive fouling. Now would probably be a good time to bring expectation down in line with the reality of what we are working with.

Hog are ya

I only saw the second half, and was obviously disappointed.  I'm going to hope that this game was a MIND OPENING experience for all that participated, and they will not let it happen again!  Because that was some of the worst ball we've played in most all aspects of the game I've seen in years...

That being said, I really do think when we look back at the end of the season, this game will go down as one of our worst efforts.  A little "you're not as good as you think you are", can get a teams attention. 

We are going to struggle a great deal this year.  And better days I feel are ahead, we could use the current recruiting class now and damn, I wish Harris was able to play...

But their not.  So this team and coaches are going to have to buckle up and bring it...

Chollo

It's one game. Not too concerned, Mike Anderson has a proven record as coach and another great recruiting class on the way.

kuhog

Quote from: ljean on November 24, 2012, 12:25:15 am
Elite 8. Enough said.

One elite 8, two first round losses, and two NCAA no shows. If those results are the standards to prove the effectiveness of the "40 minutes of hell", then yes, I guess it worked pretty well at Missouri.

tigermania21

Quote from: ljean on November 23, 2012, 10:06:52 pm

Mizzou stunk MA's last year the team was getting blown out over and over again. He got lucky one year but the rules have changed and the muggings that took place with the 90's hogs are considered fouls today . I am glad Arkansas has him so keep him forever and just remember its a Pels  fault . Powell kinda looked the same against ASU as he did against decent teams year before last " AMAZING " .

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

It only takes 2 great players to turn a program around.. 

tigermania21

Quote from: slopman on November 23, 2012, 10:40:03 pm

WoW blaminig it on phelphey, what goob.  This is all on Anderson period. To get beat that bad is all on Anderson period. No excuses, just plain bad basketball.

Slopman you are 100% correct man. All the so called bad from Pel is gone unless you want Powell gone now ? This has nothing to do with Pel or Rotnei now so let MA own this failure.

rude1

Quote from: tigermania21 on November 24, 2012, 10:54:42 am
Slopman you are 100% correct man. All the so called bad from Pel is gone unless you want Powell gone now ? This has nothing to do with Pel or Rotnei now so let MA own this failure.
Don't you guys have a pretty good ball team that CMA put together? Why don't you go enjoy it while you can before the real CFH shows up, and he will show up in time.

KFPowers

What so many people on this board dont seem to understand is that its not really about the individual players. - The problem with this group is that they dont play together and trust each other.  Recruiting another guy is not the problem. - There is more than enough talent on this team to win, but if they don't play together, then they will continue to suck every game.       

Smithian

This thread is cracking me up.

Keep melting down everyone. Bringing me great joy.

Dr. Starcs

Not saying it's right or wrong, but how patient were we all this football season? 

This is coach andersons second season. I want to see improvement.

Albert Einswine

I was an advocate for throwing MA money at Brad Stevens. I think we could've bought him.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Hoggy1

Quote from: tigermania21 on November 24, 2012, 10:37:28 am
Mizzou stunk MA's last year the team was getting blown out over and over again. He got lucky one year but the rules have changed and the muggings that took place with the 90's hogs are considered fouls today . I am glad Arkansas has him so keep him forever and just remember its a Pels  fault . Powell kinda looked the same against ASU as he did against decent teams year before last " AMAZING " .

Anderson took Missouri as far as they've ever been in the NCAA tournament, have fun with Haith. 
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

razorbackkid

Basketball season has started?
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Letsroll1200

Guys pump your brakes! Coty Clarke, Marshawn Powell, D. Wagner, J. Williams, M. Qualls, and A. Bell. Six players playing their first year under MA system. M. Powell was hurt early last year so he has to adjust to the game. This team will be in the dance. The guys are still doing alot of thinking and not trusting what they have been taught. No time to panic.

Germx

Young team Lanny?  Funny.  Kentucky, now that's a young team

Germx

Lest roll thinks Hogs will be in the dance, LOL good stuff

Danny J

Quote from: Germx on November 24, 2012, 01:34:22 pm
Young team Lanny?  Funny.  Kentucky, now that's a young team
Are you comparing us and our recruiting to UK this year? Maybe next year but you have to remember they are getting the best players every year. Imagine us having a BJ at every position. We would be undefeated.

PS....BJ is better than anybody right now on UK's roster. 

tiber

Look at all the supposed good teams this year that have already tanked a game, then TRY to put one bad game in perspective.

'But our this or that was horrible!' 
Don't you think for a UNC to lose to a Butler, all of those same statements could be made by their fans?  This has already played itself out over a dozen times across the country.

It's one game.  We can truly say "we're awful" when nothing is learned from this game.  If that happens.

Hog Pharm

Wow, I couldn't even read that.  Did you learn to write in Missouri?

99toLife

Quote from: ljean on November 24, 2012, 02:04:34 pm
Wow, I couldn't even read that.  Did you learn to write in Missouri?

Apparently you could read it because you responded.

jry04

Mizzou looked pretty good last night, as well.

What does your last sentence even mean? I guess you never watched Powell play before his injury.

BallHog1

Quote from: Smithian on November 24, 2012, 12:11:20 pm
This thread is cracking me up.

Keep melting down everyone. Bringing me great joy.
This, my only disagreement with you is the humor. This type of reaction from our fans has gotten so old.

Smithian

Quote from: BallHog1 on November 24, 2012, 02:25:19 pm
This, my only disagreement with you is the humor. This type of reaction from our fans has gotten so old.
The majority of Jump Ball posters are hopelessly naive to the realities of college basketball.

Pickled Pig

we're fine. we're going to be good...really good. the sky isn't falling. Not even in the games against the cupcake teams did Pel's teams look REALLY good. I've been to 2 games this year, and in both games we looked better than than in EVERY game except 1 in Pel's entire tenure. Plus, the games are much more fun to watch. Even in victory under Heath and Pel (which wasn't often), the games were boring as hell.

Our hogs are fine, and we're going to continue to get better. We are a tournament quality team that, for the first time, didn't play defense and didn't play unselfishly last last night. That will be an ANOMALY. Ya'll have no clue how good this team can/will be. Our best players are young, and our talent is about to sky-rocket next year.

Things will get MUCH better SOON. Don't let a bad performance here and there throw you off. It's basketball, which, like baseball, is NOT football. The best basketball teams lose some, and they even look bad doing so at times.

KFPowers

Quote from: Smithian on November 24, 2012, 02:54:20 pm
The majority of Jump Ball posters are hopelessly naive to the realities of college basketball.

Congratulations, you managed to contribute nothing to the discussion except for what it means to be pompous.

99toLife

This team looks like every MA team at this point, quit freaking out.