Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yep, zone won't work in college basketball

Started by hogsanity, March 18, 2018, 04:18:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

only teams that make noise in March play in your jersey trapping full court D. When was the last time a team playing zone defense made the sweet 16? Oh yea about 90 seconds ago.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dr. Starcs

Dude. We get it.
You should go put your application in.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 18, 2018, 04:33:32 pm
Dude. We get it.

See, I dont think some of you get it. Some of you would say Syracuse is boring, and not be happy making sweet 16's and final 4's because of how they play.

There is no job open, we have Coachforlifebecauseisatbynolan.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: hogsanity on March 18, 2018, 04:37:55 pm
See, I dont think some of you get it. Some of you would say Syracuse is boring, and not be happy making sweet 16's and final 4's because of how they play.

You're painting with a broad brush and have no idea what I think. You aren't changing anything whining constantly here.

Breems

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 18, 2018, 04:51:20 pm
You're painting with a broad brush and have no idea what I think. You aren't changing anything whining constantly here.

I encourage you to go coach for your local basketball league. Do you even know how difficult it is to run a zone, bro?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Breems on March 18, 2018, 04:54:44 pm
I encourage you to go coach for your local basketball league. Do you even know how difficult it is to run a zone, bro?

Objection. Relevance. Again, you have no idea what I think or how qualified I am to think it.

I'm a matchup zone fan. It's even harder to run than a regular zone. Bro.

ShadowHawg

We played a lot of zone the second half of the season. Not sure if you know enough about basketball to form an intelligent opinion.

Breems

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 18, 2018, 05:02:49 pm
Objection. Relevance. Again, you have no idea what I think or how qualified I am to think it.

I'm a matchup zone fan. It's even harder to run than a regular zone. Bro.

Not sure you caught my reference.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Breems on March 18, 2018, 05:16:39 pm
Not sure you caught my reference.

Sorry. I didn't.

I just have a whole lot more respect for CMA continuing to put a winning product on the court in what seemingly is an entirely corrupt business. Do I get frustrated with his coaching style and decisions at times? Absolutely. Every fan base does.

There have been times in the 7 years that I was ready for a change as well, for the record.

GoHogs1091

Not surprising that Boeheim won today with his 2-3 zone defense.

I remember a few years ago when he brought his Syracuse team into Bud Walton, and Boeheim and his team schooled us.

Anderson had no answers during that major out-coaching by Boeheim in Bud Walton.

daprospecta

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 18, 2018, 05:56:53 pm

I remember a few years ago when he brought his Syracuse team into Bud Walton, and Boeheim and his team schooled us.

Anderson had no answers during that major out-coaching by Boeheim in Bud Walton.
So the measuring stick is a team who barely made it into the tourney this year and honestly the last couple years as well?  What I find funny is people bash Mike for not changing it up on defense(which he does) but J.B. runs the 2-3 zone exclusively.  I'm so tired of our fan base. It's just sad.

Marshfieldhog

We were bad on D most of the year. It's really a myth that Anderson is a defensive coach. His teams D usually are not that good.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 18, 2018, 05:59:39 pm
We were bad on D most of the year. It's really a myth that Anderson is a defensive coach. His teams D usually are not that good.

We had plenty of offense. Was our d that was lacking.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: hogsanity on March 18, 2018, 04:37:55 pm

Or maybe you don't get it?  I guess we'll never find out who's right or wrong.  No one is saying that though.  All The fans want this program to win and win big, with any style. 

I for one love Syracues' Zone and Jim Boehin or however you spell it might be my favorite coach. 

Letsroll1200

Syracuse average height is 6'8 or 6'9. They're the tallest team in the country. They are built to play zone defense.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Breems on March 18, 2018, 04:54:44 pm

Dude... go ref for your local basketball league and get back to me then.  You even ref bro?

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on March 18, 2018, 04:18:11 pm
only teams that make noise in March play in your jersey trapping full court D. When was the last time a team playing zone defense made the sweet 16? Oh yea about 90 seconds ago.
Where was this ever stated? Syracuse has played zone for forever and has made it well past the sweet 16 before. Is this just another one of your stupid rants where you try and point out that you strongly hate and despise MA's defensive philosophy by making a ridiculous statement that no one really said.

Razorback_Mack

March 18, 2018, 08:10:44 pm #17 Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:23:18 pm by Razorback_Mack
Quote from: hogsanity on March 18, 2018, 04:18:11 pm
Stupid post. Matchup zone was good for Arkansas cause we couldn't guard people and didn't have sound M2M principles. However, 90% of teams that reach state championship games in high school play almost exclusively M2M, 90% of teams that that go deep at all college levels play almost exclusively M2M, and all pro teams play M2M. The exception is not the rule. There's no way in hell this dude is an official.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 18, 2018, 08:10:44 pm
Stupid post. Matchup zone was good for Arkansas cause we couldn't guard people and didn't have sound M2M principles. However, 90% of teams that reach state championship games in high school play almost exclusively M2M, 90% of teams that that go deep at all college levels play almost exclusively M2M, and all pro teams play M2M. The exception is not the rule. There's no way in hell this dude is an official.

You think that's because as you go up higher levels of competition and the shooters get better, you can't afford to let shooters have that little bit of daylight that a zone gives?

hog.goblin

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 18, 2018, 05:56:53 pm

We were terrible that year and didn't even make the NIT.  Syracuse was #6 in the country.  We scored 82 points against that defense that schooled us.  Unfortunately we didn't play much defense and they scored 91.  I'm not sure I would call a 9-point loss to a much more talented team a major out coaching job.  But then I tend not to make crap up either.

code red

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 18, 2018, 04:33:32 pm
Dude. We get it.
This is a Cop out statement.  The points are valid and MA went to zone vs. Florida.....and never used it again.  Stupid.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jkstock04

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 18, 2018, 05:59:39 pm

Defense was not usually this teams M.O. Now, the Florida game in the SEC tournament was an absolute thing of beauty....stifling defense to the max and what won us the game IMO.

But, most of the time Anderson's teams don't play much defense...especially protecting the perimeter. If we can't shoot 60 plus percent and throw up 80-100 points in pretty much any said game we are going to lose. Florida game was an anomaly....a lot of fun to watch though.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

(notOM)Rebel123

...well not without a running QB. Oh wait. NM
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

steveaustin69

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 18, 2018, 05:24:14 pm
Sorry. I didn't.

I just have a whole lot more respect for CMA continuing to put a winning product on the court in what seemingly is an entirely corrupt business. Do I get frustrated with his coaching style and decisions at times? Absolutely. Every fan base does.

There have been times in the 7 years that I was ready for a change as well, for the record.

And after Friday wasn't one of them?

I honestly cannot fathom how you can talk yourself into him being a very good coach.

steveaustin69

Well if we can't guard people man to man and never have been able to whose fault is that?

je100

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 18, 2018, 06:20:56 pm
Syracuse average height is 6'8 or 6'9. They're the tallest team in the country. They are built to play zone defense.

What are we built to do?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: je100 on March 19, 2018, 08:43:10 am
What are we built to do?

Evidently to make a run this time of year, according to Mike.

hogsanity

Except no. Just this year in the sweet 16 there is Duke, A&M, & Syracuse that I know play almost strictly zone. Not sure on all the others.

Although it is appropriate you'd try to compare HS ball with college since most HS teams are more fundamentally sound than any team Mike has put on the floor while at Arkansas.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 09:16:23 am
Except no. Just this year in the sweet 16 there is Duke, A&M, & Syracuse that I know play almost strictly zone. Not sure on all the others.

Although it is appropriate you'd try to compare HS ball with college since most HS teams are more fundamentally sound than any team Mike has put on the floor while at Arkansas.
Yep poor fundamental teams are known to be one of the best in the NCAA in not turning the ball over. Can't wait to have a more fundamental team so we turn it over more. Who am I kidding not turning the ball over has nothing to do with fundamentals.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on March 19, 2018, 09:28:51 am
Yep poor fundamental teams are known to be one of the best in the NCAA in not turning the ball over. Can't wait to have a more fundamental team so we turn it over more. Who am I kidding not turning the ball over has nothing to do with fundamentals.

When your offense consists of one or two guys dribbling for 20-25 seconds then jacking a 3, you won't turn it over very often.

steveaustin69

Quote from: azhog10 on March 19, 2018, 09:28:51 am

What? We're 7th in the SEC in TOs. Literally average.

azhog10

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 09:36:52 am
What? We're 7th in the SEC in TOs. Literally average.
We were 24th in all of NCAA in turnovers. 24TH!!!!!

And we were 2nd in the SEC. Not sure what you are looking at but I guess you don't have to back things up on forums.....

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/217

azhog10

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 10:27:15 am
No we're not...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/arkansas/2018.html
That was in SEC games. We were 24th in the entire nation in TOPG.

This is the official NCAA website.

Also what you are looking at isn't a rate. It's just a number. So if we played more games than other teams of course we will have more Turnovers. But our rate takes into account the number of games played. I'm sure you will disregard the NCAA's official stats though.

(notOM)Rebel123

steveaustin69

Quote from: azhog10 on March 19, 2018, 10:34:59 am
That was in SEC games. We were 24th in the entire nation in TOPG.

This is the official NCAA website.

Also what you are looking at isn't a rate. It's just a number. So if we played more games than other teams of course we will have more Turnovers. But our rate takes into account the number of games played. I'm sure you will disregard the NCAA's official stats though.

Fair enough. We don't turn the ball over at a high rate, doesn't mean we are a fundamentally sound basketball team.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 10:43:27 am
Fair enough. We don't turn the ball over at a high rate, doesn't mean we are a fundamentally sound basketball team.

We aren't fundamentally sound in hardly anything, if any at all.

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 10:43:27 am

Also do not turn our opponents over at a high rate either which is supposed to be what they do in trade off for not rebounding well.