Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring Game Officially Closed to Public

Started by Michael_E_Davis, April 27, 2017, 09:57:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_E_Davis

April 27, 2017, 09:57:40 pm Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:15:04 pm by Michael_E_Davis
Really? So, I am assuming we are the only team that has a spring game, closed to the public? I wish our spring games were a bigger deal, like they do at some of the other SEC schools. Our coaches don't seem to care much about it. It's the only thing to hold me over until fall! 
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Al Boarland

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on April 27, 2017, 09:57:40 pm
Really? So, I am assuming we are the only team that has a closed spring game? I wish our spring games were a bigger deal, like some schools. Our coaches don't seem to care.
Probably b/c the stadium is under construction. Like the team.

Edit: rain

Porked Tongue

Really? So, I am assuming we are the only team that has a closed spring game? I wish our spring games were a bigger deal, like some schools. Our coaches don't seem to care.
Rain in abundance.

Likely moved indoors or shortened depending on timing of rain.

No room for fans.

hogginbama

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 27, 2017, 09:59:10 pm
Probably b/c the stadium is under construction. Like the team.

That makes sense from a safety stand-point. All it takes is one person to not follow the rules, get around a barricade and get hurt.....then they would sue to university for a ton of money.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Cmheinley

Will it be televised at least or does closed to the public include media outlets as well?

Porked Tongue

Still televised.

FanFest deal cancelled as well.

bennyl08

It is a big deal. We have an audience of tens of thousands each year. We don't have a closed spring game. We have an open spring game that had to be moved to an area that is closed to the public due to weather conditions, but is still apparently being televised.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Jason Carroll

factchecker

It's happened at other schools too.  AnM didn't have a spring game in 2014 due to construction.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/texas-am-spring-game-canceled-kyle-field-renovations-kevin-sumlin-sec-ncaa-rules/bv6hizhym4dj19ue55mghwaax

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/kyle-field-renovations-cancel-texas-am-spring-games-for-2014-15/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawgar The Horrible

Yep. You are ASSuming alright.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

hog.goblin

Might want to rethink this and consider reality instead

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: hog.goblin on April 27, 2017, 10:58:33 pm
Might want to rethink this and consider reality instead

You are right.  Perhaps my statement was unfair, and I didn't know it would still be televised.  And maybe I am seeing things wrong, but it just seems like a lot of the other SEC teams have a bigger event for spring game.   
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

bennyl08

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on April 27, 2017, 11:12:47 pm
You are right.  Perhaps my statement was unfair, and I didn't know it would still be televised.  And maybe I am seeing things wrong, but it just seems like a lot of the other SEC teams have a bigger event for spring game.

Depends on a lot of things. New coach will bring a lot of excitement. Population of the states plays into it.

Overall, we are almost good for 30k or more fans which puts us at 5th or 6th in the SEC. LSU rarely tops 20k for comparison. Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, and Florida are about the only schools that are usually ahead of us. Comparing 2016 (which was a low year for us with 30.5k) with spring attendance for SEC, BIG 10, and Pac, we ranked 14th out of 36.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

mckinneyhog5

Man people just have to Whine about something...even after it was pointed out the reason why. I wonder if the OP has ever been to a spring game and see how many people attend it?
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 27, 2017, 11:19:29 pm
Depends on a lot of things. New coach will bring a lot of excitement. Population of the states plays into it.

Overall, we are almost good for 30k or more fans which puts us at 5th or 6th in the SEC. LSU rarely tops 20k for comparison. Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, and Florida are about the only schools that are usually ahead of us. Comparing 2016 (which was a low year for us with 30.5k) with spring attendance for SEC, BIG 10, and Pac, we ranked 14th out of 36.
Thanks Benny!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

moses_007

The truth is, our spring game has declined in importance ever since they quit having a second spring game in Little Rock.  Who wants to drive from Little Rock to Fayetteville to watch nothing more than a controlled scrimmage.  It isn't really any more than a practice session.  Doesn't resemble an actual ballgame like they used to be.

factchecker

Quote from: moses_007 on April 28, 2017, 01:55:09 am
The truth is, our spring game has declined in importance ever since they quit having a second spring game in Little Rock.  Who wants to drive from Little Rock to Fayetteville to watch nothing more than a controlled scrimmage.  It isn't really any more than a practice session.  Doesn't resemble an actual ballgame like they used to be.

Are you saying it was nothing but NWA fans who set the spring game attendance record in 2013?

http://fansided.com/2013/04/21/arkansas-razorbacks-break-spring-game-attendance-record-again/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/2016-spring-game-attendance-records/

Hell more fans showed up to that spring game (51,088) then they do for regular season games in WMS now-a-days.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

3kgthog

Quote from: factchecker on April 28, 2017, 02:23:05 am

Hell more fans showed up to that spring game (51,088) then they do for regular season games in WMS now-a-days.

Better opponent in the spring game.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

You almost completed a GSD derail..! Try Harder.!!

Like, "I bet the weather in Little Rock will be better"...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm just thankful they made a decision as early as they did.  We were planning to drive over from Memphis to watch the game.  We may still make the trip since there are other reasons for us to go, but I'd have hated it had we gone all the way to Fayetteville just to see the game only to find when we got there that we couldn't see it.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

rljjr

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on April 27, 2017, 11:12:47 pm

Now you just doubled down. Our spring game attendance is usually in the upper third to half of SEC teams. It's a big deal. The University puts a ton of effort into Razorfest and the game.

zane

This over reaction is impressive. Even by MMQB standards.
RIP LSUfan

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 28, 2017, 05:35:19 am
I'm just thankful they made a decision as early as they did.  We were planning to drive over from Memphis to watch the game.  We may still make the trip since there are other reasons for us to go, but I'd have hated it had we gone all the way to Fayetteville just to see the game only to find when we got there that we couldn't see it.

If they move it inside the Walker Pavilion, just use my name to get by Customs.....I'll be in your fair city watching the youngest slog around in a golf tournament.

hogsanity

Don't get the big deal about spring practice that they try to make believe is a game. I went to the 2008 "game" and it was like sitting and watching a practice, which does not interest me at all. They made the right decision about tomorrow, with the weather looking like we need to be building a boat to hold animals, no need to wait til the last minute, or worse having a few thousand people in the stands when it starts to lightning, to tell the public not to come.

According to reports, they will still have something for he SEC network to televise, even if it is from the indoor facility.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LZH

Scholarship limits may have caused coaches to stop the 'live game' action to keep too many of the best players from getting hurt.

longpig

In Eastern Nebraska temporarily so I went to the UN spring game, to experience the stadium mostly.  Tickets were $5 to $20 (not free) and there were over 78k butts in seats.  In the same situation I have no doubt 50k Cornhusker fans would show. 

Nebraska fans, Lincoln campus and Memorial Stadium are all spectacular, btw.  I wish we had a home and home with them.  It's a great place and an easy drive from NWA.

Don't be scared, be smart.

Tejano Jawg

That sucks for people planning their Saturday afternoon festivities around the game. But not much else you can do. I wonder what the telecast will look like?...where the SEC Network can put their cameras, etc. I bet they're bumming big time.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

lstewart

I understand why they needed to close the game for fans, as the weather forecast looks really bad for NW Arkansas. If they were not scheduled for the SEC Network, I suspect they would just have a scrimmage indoors. I agree the spring game is basically just a practice. I work on campus, so have been to most of them the past 20 years. It is fun when the weather is nice, and a chance to see the hogs on the field, but it is nothing like a game. They don't hit the QB's, blow the plays dead early, etc. It is what it is.... 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 28, 2017, 08:49:40 am
That sucks for people planning their Saturday afternoon festivities around the game. But not much else you can do. I wonder what the telecast will look like?...where the SEC Network can put their cameras, etc. I bet they're bumming big time.

I understand their reasoning but If I had gotten a hotel and such and we got this short notice I would be UPSET!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogarusa

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 28, 2017, 09:37:34 am
I understand their reasoning but If I had gotten a hotel and such and we got this short notice I would be UPSET!

Majority of hotels are refundable up to 24 hours before check in (unless there is a major event). People got proper notice, cant imagine too many folks are feeling hosed for closed spring practice
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

HF#1

The decision to release this close to 10pm on a Thursday night was just strange. This is becoming a trend for some reason.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

So, you would have cancelled when the 8-14 day forecast called for above normal precipitation two weeks ago?

razorcash2

Jeff Long is in with the Russians I bet!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 28, 2017, 07:44:04 am
If they move it inside the Walker Pavilion, just use my name to get by Customs.....

No thanks.  I'm not a fan of body cavity searches and getting carted off to WCDC.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 28, 2017, 08:49:40 am

There are film catwalks on the ends and they will likely set up cameras at the windows of the weight room that overlooks the field.  I imagine that there will be lots of handheld field level shots as well.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

FANONTHEHILL

The construction combined with the likelihood of having to move thousands of people out of the stands because if lightning makes this a no brainer.  From a "promoting the program" perspective, the proximity of the cameras to the field, players, and coaches will give everyone a closer look at the team than what there would have been in the stadium.  Hopefully they will expand the fan appreciation day at the end of fall camp to make up for this Saturday.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Stephen Greene

Pig in the Pokey

meh. no worries. our half built stadium on tv, or a showcase of our indoor digs for the recruits to see. wont hurt, could help in recruiting.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Stephen Greene

We should meet Arkansas State in Conway and scrimmage

in anthracite uniforms

Conway. Not Little Rock.

Invite Basil Shabbazz to be honored at halftime

Stephen Greene

Wish I could hear what the take from this situation would be on the John Nabors Show

But it's gone

>:(

ricepig

Quote from: Stephen Greene on April 28, 2017, 12:23:10 pm
Wish I could hear what the take would be on the John Nabors Show

But it's gone

I'll tell you, but you'll have to buy some ad time first.....

Stephen Greene

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Stephen Greene on April 28, 2017, 12:47:23 pm

The sheer depth and insight in this post are enough to confound Stephen Hawking.

Grizzlyfan

Nobody wants to believe the weather forecast until the deluge hits.  Or until their activities are cancelled.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 28, 2017, 01:32:58 pm
Nobody wants to believe the weather forecast until the deluge hits.  Or until their activities are cancelled.

Or until Jim Cantore shows up in his rainsuit.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

I'm pretty sure anyone who was planning on going knew that it might be cancelled due to weather.

also, the reason they wait to cancel is probably because they wanted to see if it was going to clear up.  weather does funky things sometimes.

dont want to cancel a week before then have it be sunny
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 28, 2017, 11:39:47 am
There are film catwalks on the ends and they will likely set up cameras at the windows of the weight room that overlooks the field.  I imagine that there will be lots of handheld field level shots as well.

Who knows...this may turn out to be a really cool change of pace from the otherwise not-so-relevant Spring Game viewing. I like the hand-held idea, kinda like the latest movie/TV trends these days. Not so many panoramic crane shots.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork