Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Depth Chart

Started by redleg, April 25, 2017, 10:06:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

What is the current depth chart looking like right now, four days from the spring game?

I think most of the offense is close to being set, although the receivers may need some more work.
Austin Allen is entrenched at QB
It looks like Kendrick Jackson will be the starting fullback.
Rawleigh Williams is the RB, with Devwah Whaley a solid #2.
Austin Cantrell seems to have solidified himself at TE, although CJ O'Grady might be the backup that gets lots of playing time.
The starting O-Line might be:
LT - Colton Jackson
LG - Hjalte Froholdt
C - Frank Ragnow
RG - Jake Raulerson
RT - Brian Wallace
As for WR, I think Jared Cornelius is really the only lock as a starter right now. Jordan Jones, Brandon Martin, Jonathan Nance, La'Michael Pettway, TJ Hammonds, and Deon Stewart could all earn the other starting job.
Defensively, The D-Line is taking shape with Agim and Watts at the DE spots, with Capps and Bijhon Jackson battling it out at NG.
The LB positions aren't set in stone yet, but it's looking more and more like the starters might be Greenlaw and Harris inside, with Ramsey and Michael Taylor outside. I am hopeful that with Jamario Bell moving back to defense, specifically OLB, he may finally make a positive impact for the team.
The secondary is looking better. The starters at CB might be Pulley and Tolliver, with Richardson as the nickelback. Liddell will be the FS, while Santos Ramirez and Deandre Coley fight over the SS position.

What is your estimation as to who will start?
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Agim, Jackson, Watts is what im expecting on the DL. That's a big a$$ front line!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

davehog

Provided he makes it to campus, I think that TE Jeremy Patton moves to 2nd string when he gets here.  RD claimed he's a Juco one and done type talent. 

davehog

Quote from: redleg on April 25, 2017, 10:06:12 am
What is the current depth chart looking like right now, four days from the spring game?

The LB positions aren't set in stone yet, but it's looking more and more like the starters might be Greenlaw and Harris inside, with Ramsey and Michael Taylor outside. I am hopeful that with Jamario Bell moving back to defense, specifically OLB, he may finally make a positive impact for the team.

Taylor got moved back to DE and Roesler is now the 4th LB starter

Snizzzo

Looks like a good list.  I would assume you are pretty spot on, though Tutt will factor in that secondary rotation, and Richardson might end up playing alot of S. 

Biggus Piggus

The offense is loaded. Several positions on defense continue to be very unsettled. Wonder how the recruits for the secondary will figure in, if at all, this season. Melvin Johnson and Gabe Richardson are at positions of need, but are they good enough to play right away?

[CENSORED]!

RebelW

I'm really expecting Guidry to solidify himself at one of the DE spots, unless Watts is really come into his own. Also I believe by game day, Raulerson will be backing up Gibson.

bennyl08

Quote from: RebelW on April 25, 2017, 03:12:10 pm
I'm really expecting Guidry to solidify himself at one of the DE spots, unless Watts is really come into his own. Also I believe by game day, Raulerson will be backing up Gibson.

Definitely agree with you on the DL.

At OL, I wouldn't be shocked if neither were the starting guard, though I do think Gibson is the favorite at this point.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 03:40:04 pm

At OL, I wouldn't be shocked if neither were the starting guard, though I do think Gibson is the favorite at this point.
My thoughts are if Raulerson continues body transformation, I believe his experience will beat out Gipson.

Still say in the end Greenlaw and Ramsey are your primary OLB's, may not be game 1, but that is where it ends up. The defenders I know are starters, Scoota, Sosa, Ramsey, Greenlaw, and Pulley. The rest will be a mix of people.

bennyl08

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 25, 2017, 04:24:40 pm
My thoughts are if Raulerson continues body transformation, I believe his experience will beat out Gipson.

Still say in the end Greenlaw and Ramsey are your primary OLB's, may not be game 1, but that is where it ends up. The defenders I know are starters, Scoota, Sosa, Ramsey, Greenlaw, and Pulley. The rest will be a mix of people.

I'd add Toliver to the list.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RebelW

redleg

I don't think Greenlaw is at OLB. I think he is one of the ILB starters, along side Harris. Not sure why Taylor would be moved to DE, he's too light at 245 lbs. Ends in the 3-4 need to be bigger (280+) with quickness.
Roesler began last year as a starter, too. But as practice progressed in the fall, other, more talented players edged him out. I think Roesler will play a lot, but I do not see him starting many games. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
This may be the two-deep defense right now, but it could, and probably will, change by Game 1. Especially after incoming recruits arrive this summer.

DE - McTelvin Agim, Jonathan Marshall
NG - Bijhon Jackson, Austin Capps
DE - Armon Watts, Briston Guidry
OLB - Randy Ramsey, Dwayne Eugene
ILB - DeJon Harris, Kyrei Fisher
ILB - Dre Greenlaw, Josh Harris
OLB - Michael Taylor, Karl Roesler
CB - Ryan Pulley, Kevin Richardson
CB - Henre' Tolliver, Britto Tutt
SS - DeAndre Coley, Santos Ramirez
FS - Josh Liddell, Nate Dalton

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 25, 2017, 03:40:04 pm

Who do you think is gonna be the other starting guard then?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 25, 2017, 04:24:40 pm

Greenlaw is an inside linebacker in this scheme.

tampahog

Speaking of depth charts, I'm trying to get a hold of our 2 deep depth charts for the last 5 years (our depth chart at the first and last sec game for seasons 12-16).   Any suggestions where I can find these (ideally in spreadsheet or Csv format) ?

bennyl08

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 26, 2017, 12:51:42 pm
Who do you think is gonna be the other starting guard then?

Well, I think Gibson is the favorite, so to directly answer your question, I think Gibson would be the other starting guard as of right now with Froholdt.

However, I think Ramirez is a strong threat to be a starting tackle this year and I think Rogers is a threat to be a starting guard as well.

Bielema has a habit of playing tackles at guard spots as well. So, lets say that Ramirez starts at one the tackle spots, and Jackson then mans the other, CBB could determine that Wallace becomes the other starting guard over Gibson, Raulerson, and Rogers.

Rogers is the heir apparent at center. Rangoon played at guard while Smothers was still here manning the center spot. Rogers has received some first team reps at guard in the spring this year and was tested at first string guard last year in fall camp while we were still testing things out. I wouldn't bet on him starting at guard this year, but wouldn't be shocked.

Basically, any of Gibson, Raulerson, Rogers, or Wallace IMO could all be candidates for the starting RG spot next season, and maybe even Malone.

bennyl08

Quote from: tampahog on April 26, 2017, 12:59:28 pm
Speaking of depth charts, I'm trying to get a hold of our 2 deep depth charts for the last 5 years (our depth chart at the first and last sec game for seasons 12-16).   Any suggestions where I can find these (ideally in spreadsheet or Csv format) ?

Good luck for the format thing.

On the arkansas web page, go to game notes and you can find the official depth chart for each game played. Go to the bowl game/last game of the year and you can find the game by game starters for the season sans the game that the game notes are for. Not sure how many seasons back you can still find the game notes on the official site, but you can probably find the official game notes by googling them.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 26, 2017, 01:03:26 pm
Well, I think Gibson is the favorite, so to directly answer your question, I think Gibson would be the other starting guard as of right now with Froholdt.

However, I think Ramirez is a strong threat to be a starting tackle this year and I think Rogers is a threat to be a starting guard as well.

Bielema has a habit of playing tackles at guard spots as well. So, lets say that Ramirez starts at one the tackle spots, and Jackson then mans the other, CBB could determine that Wallace becomes the other starting guard over Gibson, Raulerson, and Rogers.

Rogers is the heir apparent at center. Rangoon played at guard while Smothers was still here manning the center spot. Rogers has received some first team reps at guard in the spring this year and was tested at first string guard last year in fall camp while we were still testing things out. I wouldn't bet on him starting at guard this year, but wouldn't be shocked.

Basically, any of Gibson, Raulerson, Rogers, or Wallace IMO could all be candidates for the starting RG spot next season, and maybe even Malone.
Oh ok, I must have misread it then. I thought you said you wouldn't be surprised if neither Gibson or Raulerson started at the RG postion.

bennyl08

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 26, 2017, 01:15:01 pm
Oh ok, I must have misread it then. I thought you said you wouldn't be surprised if neither Gibson or Raulerson started at the RG postion.

I did say that. I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers or Wallace or somebody ended up starting, but that doesn't mean I expect it to not be Gibson or Raulerson.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: redleg on April 26, 2017, 09:05:07 am
I don't think Greenlaw is at OLB. I think he is one of the ILB starters, along side Harris. Not sure why Taylor would be moved to DE, he's too light at 245 lbs. Ends in the 3-4 need to be bigger (280+) with quickness.
Roesler began last year as a starter, too. But as practice progressed in the fall, other, more talented players edged him out. I think Roesler will play a lot, but I do not see him starting many games. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
This may be the two-deep defense right now, but it could, and probably will, change by Game 1. Especially after incoming recruits arrive this summer.

Taylor weighs around 265 now. The weights listed are from last summer before fall camp.

I would expect Taylor to start at the Hog position but they will continue to rep guys at multiple positions in the front 7.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 26, 2017, 01:27:54 pm
I did say that. I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers or Wallace or somebody ended up starting, but that doesn't mean I expect it to not be Gibson or Raulerson.
Ok, gotcha now. In other words there are quite a few candidates for the job IYO? Me personally I think it's one or the other. I'm leaning toward Gibson winning his spot back.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on April 26, 2017, 03:03:56 pm
Taylor weighs around 265 now. The weights listed are from last summer before fall camp.

I would expect Taylor to start at the Hog position but they will continue to rep guys at multiple positions in the front 7.
Yeah, I think the front seven movement experience is going to be fluid until deep into August camp. Maybe until game one. I hope not though because we all seen how the o-line got off to such a slow start in 2016. Continuity is a good thing unless of course everyone just sucks.

Here is how I think it will play out by the game 1.

DE - Agim, Marshall
DT - Jackson, Capps
DE - Guidry, Watts
OLB - Ramsey, Eugene
MLB - Harris, Fisher
MLB - Greenlaw, Harris
OLB - Taylor, Bell or Roesler

theshiva

I know Greenlaw is slated to come back as an ILB, but I think he ends up as OLB. He, Ramsey, and Bell seem to be the ones athletic enough for those positions that aren't just pass rushers. Harris and Eugene as ILB.

For wr, I'd have Jared in the slot and then just play mismatches on the outside. The defense has small/quick corners? Put out Martin and Pettway who can out muscle them. Bigger but less shifty corners? Deon and TJ.

bennyl08

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 26, 2017, 03:33:41 pm
Yeah, I think the front seven movement experience is going to be fluid until deep into August camp. Maybe until game one. I hope not though because we all seen how the o-line got off to such a slow start in 2016. Continuity is a good thing unless of course everyone just sucks.

Here is how I think it will play out by the game 1.

DE - Agim, Marshall
DT - Jackson, Capps
DE - Guidry, Watts
OLB - Ramsey, Eugene
MLB - Harris, Fisher
MLB - Greenlaw, Harris
OLB - Taylor, Bell or Roesler

I could see a similar season for our front 7 this season as our OL last season. The OL made several mental errors, particularly early on, but displayed the physical potential to be very good and made fewer mental mistakes as the season went on, leading the way despite the mistakes to one of the best offenses in school history.

Not saying that the defense this year will be similarly one of the best in school history like the offense was last year, but that the physical talent will be on display with IMO a lot of shuffling of people up until the season starts and maybe a change or two after, a lot of mental mistakes early on and decreasing throughout the season, but mistakes that don't completely kill the defense and still lead a respectable unit next fall.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: redleg on April 26, 2017, 09:05:07 am

Marshall is playing NG. Taylor is playing DE behind Agim. Dalton is playing CB. Glad to see Watts doing something, but it will be a surprise if he starts much.

Ramirez is a fixture at starting SS. Liddell and Coley have practiced at both spots for depth purposes. They are the three safeties pretty much. Reid Miller gets spring snaps and will be there for depth, but freshmen will have a chance to step into the rotation. Richardson is the nickel back and will play tons.

Eugene has been playing inside and out, could back up Ramsey, might be behind Greenlaw.

I don't understand the early surrender by Taylor at OLB. Maybe he wanted to be a 4-3 defensive end all along. That position is an OLB in this defense, and he should know that. Doesn't help the team to throw him on the DE pile.
[CENSORED]!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 27, 2017, 09:30:24 am
I don't understand the early surrender by Taylor at OLB. Maybe he wanted to be a 4-3 defensive end all along. That position is an OLB in this defense, and he should know that. Doesn't help the team to throw him on the DE pile.

Same thought on Taylor. 

Not sure how much practical difference there is between a 3-4 and a 5-2.  The 3-4 I suppose provides greater flexibility in personnel depending upon the opponent.  It takes the ends outside where they can speed rush without having to take on 325 pound tackles and allows them to set a wider edge and defend quick outs and bubble screens.  It also provides LBs to fill lanes exploited by running QBs. 

My guess is the Arkansas defense will look like a true 3-4 when we play teams like TCU and Mississippi State, but it will look more like a 5-2 against teams like Alabama and LSU.  OLB personnel will be dictated to some extent by this.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 26, 2017, 04:00:10 pm
I could see a similar season for our front 7 this season as our OL last season. The OL made several mental errors, particularly early on, but displayed the physical potential to be very good and made fewer mental mistakes as the season went on, leading the way despite the mistakes to one of the best offenses in school history.

Not saying that the defense this year will be similarly one of the best in school history like the offense was last year, but that the physical talent will be on display with IMO a lot of shuffling of people up until the season starts and maybe a change or two after, a lot of mental mistakes early on and decreasing throughout the season, but mistakes that don't completely kill the defense and still lead a respectable unit next fall.

As has been mentioned by the players and staff, the 3-4 style seems to be easier grasp and execute because there are fewer reads. That alone makes this easier for the players and helps them play faster without having to over-think things.

Now obviously there is a learning curve involved in any change, but it has sounded to me like they are "getting it" a lot more quickly than at any time in the last 4 years.

The big question to me is, do we have the talent and depth to execute this defense at a high level? I think the potential is there but we won't know for certain until they get on the field.
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

Turns out Taylor had tried to avoid being at a school that plays a 3-4, really wanted to be a 4-3 rush end. I'm not convinced that Arkansas's better off -- with this roster -- in the 3-4. Going to be fortunate to find enough linebackers. They could find eight linemen without a strain.
[CENSORED]!

FANONTHEHILL

Michael Taylor is a pass rusher and a better fit coming from the line of scrimmage starting with his hand in the ground.  He's in the 260 to 265 range.  By his own admission, he wasn't as comfortable covering pass routes.  The plan for him is to add 15 lbs by August.  Michael's father Michael Senior was here for the scrimmage/practice.  He was also at practice Thursday and we spoke at length both days.  Michael is happy to be back on the line and to work with Coach Scott.  My son shares and apartment with Michael and it's going to be a big summer of weights and food for both of them.  They each need that 15lbs. Would get Michael in the 275-280 range and Cooper in the 295-300 range.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 27, 2017, 11:45:28 am
As has been mentioned by the players and staff, the 3-4 style seems to be easier grasp and execute because there are fewer reads. That alone makes this easier for the players and helps them play faster without having to over-think things.

Now obviously there is a learning curve involved in any change, but it has sounded to me like they are "getting it" a lot more quickly than at any time in the last 4 years.

The big question to me is, do we have the talent and depth to execute this defense at a high level? I think the potential is there but we won't know for certain until they get on the field.

I'll believe it when I see it. Typically, a 3-4 is vastly more complicated than the 4-3 with immensely more reads. However, I'm sure there exist some schemes that are simpler than a typical 4-3.

However, what's the greatest advantage of a 3-4? Two things. One, you get to have, in theory, more speed on the field with a LB replacing a DL player. The biggest advantage, however, is it's potential for complexity. It can be so complex that it confuses the offense. Simple, easy to run defenses don't confuse the offense just as simple, easy to run offenses don't confuse the defense.

a0ashle

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 30, 2017, 12:19:27 am
I'll believe it when I see it. Typically, a 3-4 is vastly more complicated than the 4-3 with immensely more reads. However, I'm sure there exist some schemes that are simpler than a typical 4-3.

However, what's the greatest advantage of a 3-4? Two things. One, you get to have, in theory, more speed on the field with a LB replacing a DL player. The biggest advantage, however, is it's potential for complexity. It can be so complex that it confuses the offense. Simple, easy to run defenses don't confuse the offense just as simple, easy to run offenses don't confuse the defense.

I don't think it's a "3-4 is simpler than a 4-3 " thing, I thick it is more a "CPR asks for less thinking then CRS". It has been said by players that they are now being asked to attack instead of gap control. Attacking is always less thinking.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 29, 2017, 11:36:12 pm
Michael Taylor is a pass rusher and a better fit coming from the line of scrimmage starting with his hand in the ground.  He's in the 260 to 265 range.  By his own admission, he wasn't as comfortable covering pass routes.  The plan for him is to add 15 lbs by August.  Michael's father Michael Senior was here for the scrimmage/practice.  He was also at practice Thursday and we spoke at length both days.  Michael is happy to be back on the line and to work with Coach Scott.  My son shares and apartment with Michael and it's going to be a big summer of weights and food for both of them.  They each need that 15lbs. Would get Michael in the 275-280 range and Cooper in the 295-300 range.

Noticed Cooper in one on one drills.  He looked explosive.  15 more pounds and he will be a hard for defenders to deal with.

MuskogeeHogFan

April 30, 2017, 09:24:56 am #32 Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:09:06 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: bennyl08 on April 30, 2017, 12:19:27 am

You need to research more then. The staff here says it is simpler, the players have said it is simpler and the guys who teach it, not just at Arkansas say it is simpler with fewer reads. But what do they know?

See the third bullet point at about the 00:39 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7kx60ADJo
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on April 30, 2017, 08:57:32 am
Noticed Cooper in one on one drills.  He looked explosive.  15 more pounds and he will be a hard for defenders to deal with.

It's a work in progress.  He needs the 15lbs the right way. Chest, thighs, and back. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on April 30, 2017, 08:57:32 am
Yeah I saw him and said a woo pig, FOTH's boy getting it done! ;D

redleg

The_Iceman

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on April 25, 2017, 10:10:18 am
Agim, Jackson, Watts is what im expecting on the DL. That's a big a$$ front line!

Especially with Jackson's "incredible, incredible ass!"

redleg

Starting O?.....
QB - Allen
FB - K. Jackson
TB - R. Williams
WR - Cornelius
WR - Martin
TE - Cantrell
LT - C. Jackson
LG - Froholdt
C - Ragnow