Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Walker new OLB coach

Started by ricepig, February 10, 2017, 09:06:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hog Solo on February 10, 2017, 10:47:01 pm
Ok,  I hope this is ingenious hire.  The guy has no experience in coaching except for the film room, and he has absolutely no experience coaching linebackers.  I hope him the best,  but this hire is a grasp at straws.

I'll bet he knows a little bit more about coaching football than you are giving him credit for. He must really suck to have worked for Saban (twice), Bob Stoops, and then the Falcons. But I'm sure you know more than they do about Coach Walker. Geez.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Kevin

welcome to the hog family, coach walker
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

twistitup

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 11, 2017, 05:30:01 am
I'll bet he knows a little bit more about coaching football than you are giving him credit for. He must really suck to have worked for Saban (twice), Bob Stoops, and then the Falcons. But I'm sure you know more than they do about Coach Walker. Geez.

His responsibilities here will be diff than before- hes not a position coach or recruiter....its basically a big experiment. Im a little nervous, but wish him well
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hog Solo

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 11, 2017, 05:30:01 am

Cool, I hope it works out.

(notOM)Rebel123

Hog Solo

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 11, 2017, 06:44:42 am
....I'm not sure that you do.

I'm all for a better season than last last year.  I like for our team to win.  This hire is puzzling.

hoglady

Not much purpose to bash a new coach before they've run their first practice or coached their first game.
Everyone coach hired deserves a chance to prove they can get the job done.
If the defense makes no improvement this year - there will be plenty of time for questioning the coaching moves.
Welcome to the Razorbacks, Coach Walker!!
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

February 11, 2017, 07:23:22 am #58 Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:05:38 pm by Inhogswetrust
Coached at LSU and is from New Orleans. I wonder if he can sway some of those Kansas commits..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hog Solo on February 11, 2017, 06:49:05 am
I'm all for a better season than last last year.  I like for our team to win.  This hire is puzzling.
There's nothing puzzling about it.  Why are you people so purposefully dense?  He has a PROVEN REPUTATION as a coach who transitions teams from the 4-3 to the 3-4 AND he's spent a good chunk of his career as an off-field recruiter. 

Are you really too stupid to see how perfect this hire is?
All Gas, No Brakes!

ifghog

Looks like a solid hire. We shall see. 

Beardog

For those that keep saying he's not the recruiter we need, your only hope is Partridge as ST Coach. CBB seems hell bent on getting guys who've worked in a 3-4 and worked with top coaching staffs. No it's not the flashy hire, but who cares unless this guy doesn't get the job done? I'm giving him a chance since it appears Saban and Stoops did. Glad to have you on board Coach Walker!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hoglady on February 11, 2017, 06:54:02 am
Not much purpose to bash a new coach before they've run their first practice or coached their first game.
Everyone coach hired deserves a chance to prove they can get the job done.
If the defense makes no improvement this year - there will be plenty of time for questioning the coaching moves.
Welcome to the Razorbacks, Coach Walker!!

Agree!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 11, 2017, 07:40:11 am
There's nothing puzzling about it.  Why are you people so purposefully dense?  He has a PROVEN REPUTATION as a coach who transitions teams from the 4-3 to the 3-4 AND he's spent a good chunk of his career as an off-field recruiter. 

"None so blind as those that will not see."

rljjr

Some of you guys could win a million bucks, complain about the taxes and not appreciate the winnings.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rljjr on February 11, 2017, 08:06:23 am
Some of you guys could win a million bucks, complain about the taxes and not appreciate the winnings.

^^^this

Hollywood870

Quote from: hogginbama on February 11, 2017, 01:18:29 am
Holy cow patties, what is CBB thinking? This guy is the worst hire possible. He has never coached in the SEC, has never been a head coach and has never won a national championship with a team in the SEC. This is the worst hire ever.....fire Jeff Long, fire CBB and fire the cheerleaders coach. Hell while we are firing folks, fire the guy that cooks the hot dogs at the stadium.

Says the guys that hate CBB and can't see the effort being made to get better. You try something, if it doesn't work, you make a change and go again until you get it right. They can live in last year all they want, but it is obvious the CBB refuses to live in last year. He is letting last years failures motivate him to improve the coaching staff and make changes in our areas of weakness.
Now Now fellars, he at least deserves a chance.

ricepig

Quote from: rljjr on February 11, 2017, 08:06:23 am
Do you realize they're going to take .43828% out for taxes??

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on February 11, 2017, 06:23:14 am
His responsibilities here will be diff than before- hes not a position coach or recruiter....its basically a big experiment. Im a little nervous, but wish him well

He coached LB's at Atlanta, maybe because they ran a 3-4, they had two LB coaches.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coaches.html

Or, maybe not.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coaches/Chad-Walker/aa00b721-1537-4f60-af5a-0c8d04df9ecc?qwr=fullsite_temporary

rljjr

Quote from: ricepig on February 11, 2017, 08:39:13 am
Do you realize they're going to take .43828% out for taxes??

HA! Thanks. Needed the chuckle.

$outhwesthog

Quote from: TeufelHog on February 10, 2017, 10:24:25 pm
Well, at least he's used to blowing a 20+ point lead.  HEY-OOOOOO!!!

Ouch!
April 11 2012
The day of infamy

JIMMY BOARFFETT

So far, I'm reading that this is a great hire by CBB, but it's the worst move since the decision to go with Pepsi in Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium.

Am I right?
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

colbs

Quote from: ricepig on February 11, 2017, 08:41:06 am
He coached LB's at Atlanta, maybe because they ran a 3-4, they had two LB coaches.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coaches.html

Or, maybe not.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coaches/Chad-Walker/aa00b721-1537-4f60-af5a-0c8d04df9ecc?qwr=fullsite_temporary
Yeah I can't figure out which one is accurate.  I've some other sites showing him as an assistant LB coach this past year and others that he's been the DB assistant both years at Atlanta.

colbs

Quote from: Hog Solo on February 11, 2017, 06:49:05 am
Not really, he helped OU transistion to the 3-4.  It's not a bad thing that he's worked under 3 of the best defensive minds in football in Saban, Quinn, and Stoops.

ricepig

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 11, 2017, 08:58:48 am
So far, I'm reading that this is a great hire by CBB, but it's the worst move since the decision to go with Pepsi in Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium.

Am I right?
As rain.....

PonderinHog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 11, 2017, 08:00:56 am
"None so blind as those that will not see."
Shoot first.  Beg for forgiveness later.

ChicoHog

Am I right?
Hey!  I like Pepsi better!  Plus I'm a PepsiCo stock holder so keep on drinking it!

ricepig

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 11, 2017, 09:49:15 am
Hey!  I like Pepsi better!  Plus I'm a PepsiCo stock holder so keep on drinking it!

I knew there had to be another reason besides politics, sports, and life in general, that I didn't like you!

OLDHOG

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 10, 2017, 09:15:24 pm
Well, there's not a whole lot of room for bitching about this hire. A+
Oh trust me, there will be some. This is Hogville for crying out loud.

lakecityhog

The simple truth is this:
The people proclaiming this as a "great" hire know absolutely no more than those proclaiming this as a "bust" or "grasp" hire.

This guy started as a GA type coach in 2000 so he has over 15 years in coaching, we have to assume that he has learned a few things in 15 years. Is he our answer? Who knows, but as a message board I think that every poster should have the right to express views, both positive and negative. Because a guy wanted to see a "splashier" hire doesn't make him a troll. He could actually be right, there definitely is something to the SEC experience thing.

Then again, this guy could come in and make a major contribution and we will all be happy.

Inhogswetrust

Am I right?

I'm wondering why Coca Cola has a suite in RRS but I didn't see where Pepsi had one?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jackflash

hawgon

So, a guy who has been coaching 15 years and has never even been solely responsible for any position and has never been a linebackers coach at all is a great hire for us?

If he is so great, why hasn't he been more than a quality control guy in 15 years? 

younghog

Quote from: JayHog on February 11, 2017, 02:11:19 am
To me, it's another example of how Bielema wants to go off into left field and show how he's the smartest guy in the room. It may work/it may not. It's an "unknown" variable, because he's never actually been a primary recruiter or a primary LB coach.  But I guess we'll see how it all turns out.  Bielema has gambled his future here at Arkansas on these last two hires, so for his sake and ours, I sure hope he got it right!

reaching deep on this drivel
GO HOGS

younghog

GO HOGS

RedyorNot

Quote from: LFC Hog on February 10, 2017, 09:31:04 pm
Right hire at the right time!
http://www.espn.com/blog/colleges/alabama/post/_/id/18780/sooners-defense-has-alabama-influence

The quote from Stoops is good enough for me. With Walker and Scott Jr both being QC's in the NFL, I'd think it would bring a higher level of detail to game planning and adjusting.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: hawgon on February 11, 2017, 10:17:09 am
So, a guy who has been coaching 15 years and has never even been solely responsible for any position and has never been a linebackers coach at all is a great hire for us?

If he is so great, why hasn't he been more than a quality control guy in 15 years? 

When one has preconceived ideas, no amount of unbiased thought or reason can penetrate the density of presupposition. So my words will fall on deaf "ears", but I will play along nevertheless.

Bobby Petrino toiled at his profession for TWENTY YEARS before he had his first head coaching gig. By your assumption, your favorite Hog coach must have been terrible.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

snoblind

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 11, 2017, 07:40:11 am

Really need to ask?

Piggfoot

I have a suspicion that Coach Walker will not be a tackleing or coverage technique coach. I can't find where he has ever played the game nor of course has he been an on field coach. Rather I suspect he has been a class room x and o coach teaching defensive rotations and alignment positions  based on the presented offense. Just a guess. Being in proper position was one of our greatest weaknesses last year. His experience should be valuable.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

factchecker

Here is his bio from when he was DC at Mississippi College:

http://www.gochoctaws.com/staff.aspx?staff=73

QuoteChad Walker
Assistant Coach / Defensive Coordinator / Defensive Backs

RECRUITING AREAS
- Jackson, Miss.   - South Mississippi   - South Louisiana
- Houston, Texas   - Northeast U.S.   

Chad Walker enters his third season on the Mississippi College coaching staff as the defensive coordinator for the Choctaws.

Walker comes to the Choctaws with a wealth of coaching experience, spending time both at the collegiate and professional level.  Chad worked with the Miami Dolphins in the NFL and coached collegiately at LSU, West Virginia, Louisiana-Monroe and his most recent stop, Bryant University, a Division FCS school in Smithfield, Rhode Island.  Chad got his start under Nick Saban as a student assistant in 2000 as LSU won the Peach Bowl.  Over his career, Walker has worked with great defensive-minded coaches such as Dom Capers, Will Muschamp, Kirby Smart, and Bo Pelini.

Chad spent three seasons gaining experience in the NFL with the Dolphins as a defensive quality control coach working with all positions on defense.  In 2007, Walker worked with the defensive line as the Dolphins finished 4th in the NFL in pass defense.  In 2006, Chad helped with the linebackers as Miami ranked 4th in the NFL in total defense and 5th in pass defense.  That season Zach Thomas was elected to the pro bowl and Jason Taylor was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year.  In 2005, Walker spent his first season in the NFL working with defensive backs along with assisting in personnel.

In 2010, Walker served as the defensive coordinator at Bryant University as the Bulldogs finished 7-4 with the two biggest wins in school history over Fordham and #25 Robert Morris.  Chad led the defensive backs and helped guide safety Max Machado to the Northeast Conference Defensive Rookie of the Year Award.  Cornerback Samad Wagstaff and linebacker Jason Riffe landed on the All-NEC Teams, while Riffe led the league with seven sacks. The Bulldogs also had 4 interceptions returned for touchdowns on the year.  Bryant also led the Northeast Conference in pass efficiency defense and 3rd down defense.  The Bulldogs also finished second in the league in turnovers gained.

In 2009, Walker coached the defensive backs as the Bulldogs collected 35 pass breakups and finished 1st in the NEC in scoring defense (17.4 per game) and 16th nationally  along with being ranked 4th nationally in pass defense.  Safety Andre White earned an All-NEC selection under Walker's coaching.

In his first season at Bryant, the Bulldogs finished 7-4, which is the second-best record ever for a team transitioning from Division II to Division I.  Walker also coached the defensive backs and helped Bryant rank t-12th nationally with 30 turnovers gained and 29th nationally in scoring defense.

Before moving to the NFL, Chad spent two seasons as a defensive assistant on Nick Saban's staff at Louisiana State University handling quality control duties.  The Tigers won the 2003 National Championship and SEC title (1st in total defense) and played in the Capital One Bowl in 2004 (3rd in total defense).

Before LSU, Walker served as a graduate assistant at Louisiana-Monroe and West Virginia.  While in Morgantown, Chad helped a Mountaineer defense that finished first in the nation in pass defense.

In 2012, the Choctaws led the American Southwest Conference in pass defense, holding opponents to only 224.6 yards per game through the air.  MC came away with 23 turnovers and scored four defensive touchdowns on the season, including three in a 31-24 win over Webber International on September 8th.  For the second straight year, an MC defensive back was named a D3Football.com First Team All-American as Keith Villafranco led the team with 76 tackles, nine tackles for loss, five interceptions and six forced fumbles.  His six forced fumbles led all of Division III.  Villafranco and Alandas Hardy each earned All-ASC honors in 2012.

In Walker's first season (2011), the Choctaws had five players earn All-ASC honors, including three First Team selections in defensive lineman Jarryn Bingham, linebacker Blake Rowell, and defensive back Jarrad Craine.  Craine was named a D3Football.com First Team All-American after leading all of Division III with 21 pass breakups.  Rowell also led the country with eight forced fumbles on the year.  Bingham led the ASC with 8.0 sacks, while Rowell was the top tackles for loss man in the conference with 24 for 117 yards.

A native of New Orleans, LA, Chad graduated from LSU in 2000 with a Bachelor's degree in Education with a concentration on Kinesiology. Walker's father Sterling worked with the New Orleans Saints in the 1970's, while Chad's brother Tyler, spent the last two seasons as a football graduate assistant at Mississippi College.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HOGINTENNESSEE

February 11, 2017, 10:58:28 am #90 Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:26:27 am by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: Piggfoot on February 11, 2017, 10:54:21 am
I have a suspicion that Coach Walker will not be a tackleing or coverage technique coach. I can't find where he has ever played the game nor of course has he been an on field coach. Rather I suspect he has been a class room x and o coach teaching defensive rotations and alignment positions  based on the presented offense. Just a guess. Being in proper position was one of our greatest weaknesses last year. His experience should be valuable.

You are not looking hard enough. 4 on the field coaching in college and 2 years at ATL

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Walker

If there is a concern IMO it would be why did Saban or Stoop never promoted him to a position coach

Piggfoot

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 11, 2017, 10:58:28 am
You are not looking hard enough. 4 on the field coaching in college and 2 years at ATL

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Walker

If there is a concern IMO it would be why did Saban or Stoop never promoted him to a position coach
maybe there was not an opening.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hey Super

Quote from: greasy_corner on February 10, 2017, 09:34:44 pm
Well you "figured" wrong!  Great hire, and here's the top 10 reasons why:

1.  He's bald.
2.  He was the defensive quality control coach at OU....so, he was no where near the woman beaters of  Mixon and DGB.
3.  He looks crazy...and mean.
4.  He went to LSU during some of their worst times, so he understands the "territory".
5.  He has never coached at Baylor.
6.  He's bald...and mean.
7.  He once spoke to Saban.   
8.  He coached the Falcons in the SB LI, so he has as many rings as you or I do.  Not pretentious, but probably needing a job.
9.  Saban.
10.  He's bald!

I'm on board.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

Hogwild

The Kig

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 10, 2017, 09:15:24 pm
Well, there's not a whole lot of room for bitching about this hire. A+

Never underestimate the power of stupidity or the capacity of those with intentionally closed eyes to see danger.
Poker Porker

hawgon

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on February 11, 2017, 10:37:46 am

When one has preconceived ideas, no amount of unbiased thought or reason can penetrate the density of presupposition. So my words will fall on deaf "ears", but I will play along nevertheless.

Bobby Petrino toiled at his profession for TWENTY YEARS before he had his first head coaching gig. By your assumption, your favorite Hog coach must have been terrible.

BP was NFL OC of the year well before he was a head coach.

The Kig

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 10, 2017, 09:51:38 pm
These seem like blue-collar hires...nothing sexy about them (resumes) but the recommendations suggest they are really good at their jobs (installation of the 3-4 seems to be a recurring theme)

I know you're typically a pretty rational poster, so this is not an attack on you...  More a question for the many on here that feed off things like the first two phrases.

What's not sexy?  3 of the last 5 hires come directly from the NFL.  The other 2 were head coaches before coming to Arkansas.  While I get the "Gruden or bust" concept, the last 3 hires, Anderson, Scott, and Walker (Not discounting Rhoads to DC, just saying he was already on campus) were all position coaches in the NFL.  The latest on a team that just played in the Super Bowl...and should have won. 

Pulling head coaches and NFL coaches on staff to take demotions (Rhoads and Enos) or a similar position on a college team that hasn't exactly been lighting up the charts since joining the SEC.  Not sure how much more sexy it can get...
Poker Porker

HogKong

The biggest thing that stands out to me is that Nick Saban thought highly enough of him to bring him on staff with him when he left LSU and went to the Dolphins. Walker also left LSU and went to Miami with him. That in itself says something about Coach Walker! He clearly is respected and thought highly enough of by Saban, so I believe he is a great hire considering we are transitioning to a 3-4 defense.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: The Kig on February 11, 2017, 01:51:41 pm
I know you're typically a pretty rational poster, so this is not an attack on you...  More a question for the many on here that feed off things like the first two phrases.

What's not sexy?  3 of the last 5 hires come directly from the NFL.  The other 2 were head coaches before coming to Arkansas.  While I get the "Gruden or bust" concept, the last 3 hires, Anderson, Scott, and Walker (Not discounting Rhoads to DC, just saying he was already on campus) were all position coaches in the NFL.  The latest on a team that just played in the Super Bowl...and should have won. 

Pulling head coaches and NFL coaches on staff to take demotions (Rhoads and Enos) or a similar position on a college team that hasn't exactly been lighting up the charts since joining the SEC.  Not sure how much more sexy it can get...

Anderson and Scott were assistant position coaches. These are promotions for them.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Hogwild on February 11, 2017, 01:08:49 pm
I read a great article about him the morning of the Super Bowl, glad he is on staff.  :razorback:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_7b066bb2-e8f3-11e6-99a1-df29ec510e52.html

Interesting read. Mostly about his family but interesting nonetheless. However, did you take something from that article that would make you happy he's on staff?  Or is there more to it?