Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Modica in the NBA...your thoughts

Started by Boss Hogg, February 04, 2006, 09:58:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hogg

Does anyone see this guy ever making it to or making an impact in the NBA?  Or will he join Olu and the RimRockers after this season?   ???

Zen_Hog

I say he goes undrafted, but becomes a great pickup. King of like Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard of the Mavericks.

hogattack21

Didnt Pargo go undrafted? He turned out to be decent.
It may be wrong, but it sure feels right.

RAZ FAN

Its hard to tell, sometimes an average guy in the college ranks make a NBA team and then the stars of college get cut or never make the NBA. A good example is Tony Dumas who lead the NCAA in scoring several years back, was drafted by the Mavs but only last a year or two. Also Cedric Henderson (Memphis State) was a pretty good player for the CAVS for a few years, but when his contract was up they let him go and no one else picked him up.

Buck Ocean

as soon as Modica can shoot of the dribble, he's an NBA player.

anyone see any of the 37 points tonight? all were catch and shoot.  a couple off the dribble.
Think like a Jedi

Buck Ocean

QuoteA good example is Tony Dumas who lead the NCAA in scoring several years back

UMKC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think like a Jedi

mountainhog

I think modica is a good college player but his size is gonna be his downfall, unless he can turn into a pt. guard , he wont make it in the nba.

Pignominious

He has got an NBA body, and big time scoring ability as he showed today.  His problem is turnovers, inconsistant play, and athleticism.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Tater Salad

No way...if he's had a different coach the last 4 years then maybe

Pignominious

Quote from: mountainhog on February 04, 2006, 10:44:57 pm
I think modica is a good college player but his size is gonna be his downfall, unless he can turn into a pt. guard , he wont make it in the nba.

His size won't be what hampers him.  He actually is about perfectly constructed for an NBA 2.  He is strong, dececent mobility, can score big time.  His problem is consistant play and court vision.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

codeHog

better shot of making it in the NFL IMHO

mountainhog

Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on February 04, 2006, 10:49:36 pm
Quote from: mountainhog on February 04, 2006, 10:44:57 pm
Isnt he just 6ft. 4in.?  for his position his size is definately too small, especially without the athleticism!

His size won't be what hampers him.  He actually is about perfectly constructed for an NBA 2.  He is strong, dececent mobility, can score big time.  His problem is consistant play and court vision.

Boarcephus

Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on February 04, 2006, 10:46:55 pm
He has got an NBA body, and big time scoring ability as he showed today.  His problem is turnovers, inconsistant play, and athleticism.

I can buy the turnovers and inconsistant play but athleticism??  You're kidding, right?   The guy has the highest vertical on the team (36"+) , decent shot, built like a greek god and runs like a deer and you're questioning athleticism?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

lumphog

PigDaddyKane

Quote from: codeHog on February 04, 2006, 10:59:37 pm
better shot of making it in the NFL IMHO

I agree.  As much muscle mass as he carries, I see a NFL team taking a chance on developing him into a tight end.  Ala Gates with San Diego.

If it happens it would make for interesting trivia.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

mbgrulz

lets not talk about this after a 37 pt. game. yea, he got real hot today, but that was the exception. the rule is a player who shoots a lot of bad shots, and is not a team oriented guy. he would be lucky to measure 6-4 and that is not what 2 guards are looking like in the NBA (except rip hamilton, but he is a stud). he cant handle the ball well enough to be a guard in the NBA anyway. if he wants to play basketball past this year, he better get a passport and a plane ticket.

mountainhog

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 04, 2006, 11:15:21 pm
lets not talk about this after a 37 pt. game. yea, he got real hot today, but that was the exception. the rule is a player who shoots a lot of bad shots, and is not a team oriented guy. he would be lucky to measure 6-4 and that is not what 2 guards are looking like in the NBA (except rip hamilton, but he is a stud). he cant handle the ball well enough to be a guard in the NBA anyway. if he wants to play basketball past this year, he better get a passport and a plane ticket.    Amen brother! you said what i was thinking. applause for you!

mountainhog

One more thing , im not saying modica does not have an athletic body but he is a little rigid, brewer has athleticism, able to slice and contort his body,  there is a big diffrence in the two. thats why brewer will be a top 10 draft pick. plus his size too.

sailorripley

Brewer will all his athleticism will be drafted 1st or 2nd round but probably never be an above average NBA player; he displays no leadership or fire.
Modica will probably be an undrafted free agent who gets a shot, but blows it.

Boarcephus

One thing you need to add to Brewer, he has basketball sense.  Got it from the Boothead I suppose but he has it nonetheless.   Modica has too much hang dog in him but the athletic talent is there.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

TopHawwgg

Well if he doesnt get drafted this summer he can come back to UA for his 5th year and play football for us.   Seeing as he didnt redshirt he would have his 5th year to play football wouldn't he?   I think I remember a kid doing that at another school a while back.   That is unless the NCAA has closed that door to kids now a days.

HeathHateMe

Yeah it's the 5 in 4 rule.  A kid did it for MSU a few years ago.  You have 5 years to play 4 and the clock starts more or less when you enroll.  Modica has 4 years of football eligibility and 5 years to use them.  4 of the 5 years have been used playing basketball so he has 1 year left.  It would be great story and create alot of addtional fan interest.  I'm sure Reggie could turn him into a bad a$$ even with only 1 year, and 1 good year would be enough to get him an NFL look.

If he were smart he would go through spring practice and see what it's like and if he could catch on and would be interested.
A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, and must be avenged.

mountainhog

His chances of making NFL are alot better than NBA.

krazie.joe

Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on February 04, 2006, 09:59:34 pm
I say he goes undrafted, but becomes a great pickup. King of like Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard of the Mavericks.

Josh Howard was a 1st round draft pick.

dmhog v2.0

Modica won't last 3 seconds in the NBA.

toshortrock

no,lets be true here ok,when this is over,he;ll be back down in smackover washing cars
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

TopHawwgg

yeah at SMACK-over motors in SMACK-over Arkansas. ;D

HawgLover08

I don't think he'll do anything in the NBA and will end up playing overseas or something. That's just my opinon though, he could turn out to be great, you never know.

hoggystyle78

No. Modica cannot play in the NBA, hell he's too inconsistent in college!, you think that just goes away when the competition gets considerably harder?, I think not.

arkhogdog61

IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: arkhogdog61 on February 05, 2006, 09:24:09 am
he'll be drafted mark it down.

That's hilarious. Anyone who knows anything about the NBA knows he woouldn't be drafted even if there were 7 rounds.

lumphog

Quote from: TopHawwgg on February 04, 2006, 11:53:35 pm
Well if he doesnt get drafted this summer he can come back to UA for his 5th year and play football for us.   Seeing as he didnt redshirt he would have his 5th year to play football wouldn't he?   I think I remember a kid doing that at another school a while back.   That is unless the NCAA has closed that door to kids now a days.
I would LOVE to see this happen. I can`t believe Herring hasn`t been all over him to play MLB. Damb the NBA, I bet he could make it in the NFL.

South_Ark_Pig

i'll be willing to bet he plays in Europe or Italy next year, not in the NBA. too slow off the dribble and too many undecided passes and shots taken. Cant do that in the NBA.

arkhogdog61

anyone who has half a brain knows you don't average double figures over 4 years in the sec and not get a big look. he'll go late but he will go.
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

D-macs cuz

he will get to try out for teams but he won't make one.

mossfan3

Did any of you guys ever see Modica play football in high school?  He played QB and carried Smackover on his back to the playoffs.  Very good athlete.  He is a much better passer in fb than bb.

hogtheball

should have played tight end in football. NBA is not gonna happen.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

carhog

I was with Jonathon after the Vandy game and we ran into Coach Nutt and he was trying to get Pookie to come out next year.  He said come all you have to do is give me one year.  Pookie said that Coach had said that to him before.  Jonathon would love to play professional basketball somewhere.  He can go overseas and make real good money.  He also only needs 12 hours to get his degree and he wants to do sports broadcasting which he would be good at.

bradyv15

i wish he would play football...especially with our LB problems....he'd be fast...and i can't see why he wouldn't have the ability to hit hard....i'd definetly make sure to never miss a game then....i don't now anyway but man that would be cool...but it'll never happen...

Hog53

I never saw Jonathan play H.S. football but I understand he broke Clyde Scott's long-standing single season offensive records as a QB and WR.  Played safety.  I did see him play several games of basketball and he piled on impressive stats although there was some question about his toughness.

If he had the advantage of an outstanding coaching staff, (H.S.), he would have evolved into a more complete major college athlete.  There were a couple of teams in his high school league that could completely shut him down with their best defensive guys.

Hope he continues this hot streak!

Brutalis

NBA is my favorite league. And no, he doesn't stand a chance.

Maybe for the D-League though.

he isn't a leader. he is way too inconsistant and you never know what's going on with him. he shows little emotion unless he feels like a ref missed a call.

he stepped up though for the USC game.

and i do remember him supposedly being one of those 'stars' when he was younger people talked him up to be... seems like he dont have much potential either.
God, please let the my Hogs be just half as good as my Spurs. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh meeennnnnnnnnnn

whatsshakinbacon

I wonder if we haven't automatically relegated Pookie to #2 on our team because of Brewer's hype.  Maybe he's more of a clutch player than Brewer and maybe, just maybe, we've found a good way to utilize his talent.

Bacon out...

Brutalis

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 05, 2006, 03:11:40 pm
I wonder if we haven't automatically relegated Pookie to #2 on our team because of Brewer's hype.  Maybe he's more of a clutch player than Brewer and maybe, just maybe, we've found a good way to utilize his talent.

Bacon out...

If Arkansas plans on doing anything they need consistancy from him. He needs to step up and be that 2nd scoring option. Like the confidence we have in Ronnie when he's doing his thing, Modica could be that but its all about attitude and confidence in himself.

He could easily be that 2nd knockout punch, it's all up to him.
God, please let the my Hogs be just half as good as my Spurs. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh meeennnnnnnnnnn

fineswine

His physique and game remind me so much of Richard Jefferson.  Spotty ball handling, but this uncanny ability to score the basketball.  Probably not as quick, but the similarities are there.

akp4105

bulldog04

Pookie has went a long way for a guy that had no "stars". It hard to believe Rivals didn't put one star beside his name. He is pretty high up on Arkansas's scoring list.  I guess Nolan could recruit a little bit.

LDP3

I played football with Pookie at Smackover.  He played his sophomore and junior years, then sat out his senior year to focus on basketball.  He played QB for us.  He was an OK thrower, but looked like Matt Jones when he took off.  He played receiver just a little bit, but we didn't have a backup who could throw it to him.  I would put some film on here of him if I knew how to do it. 

the donger

jrw11475

Pookie shows signs of greatness but no consistency.  A good college BB player but I can't imagine him in the NBA.  Brewer needs to stay another year, not because I have to have him back but I want him back.  Even though he is a player but still doesn't have the intensity that he will have to have in the NBA.  And I'm sorry that (whoever said they were a big NBA fan) you are a big NBA fan.  The NBA is a joke, I can't freaking watch five minutes of it.

Arkiejared

Quote from: sailorripley on February 04, 2006, 11:33:55 pm
Brewer will all his athleticism will be drafted 1st or 2nd round but probably never be an above average NBA player; he displays no leadership or fire.
Modica will probably be an undrafted free agent who gets a shot, but blows it.

NBA players display fire?  It's the most boring b-ball on the planet IMO.

I've often wondered about Pookie....I think he needs to be more consistant, especially with ball handling and outside shooting.