Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFICIAL post your picks thread (sports investing)

Started by WILL CLINTON, August 28, 2011, 09:41:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 02, 2013, 05:34:12 pm

Which is a reason why I'm asking you guys.  I've never been willing to bet parlays, but it's got me intrigued.

they can be fun for small plays ($5 or $10) but they increase the odds for vegas.  better to stay away

BJOhog

Which is a reason why I'm asking you guys.  I've never been willing to bet parlays, but it's got me intrigued.

It's fun brother just go in truth the right attitude you ain't gonna win more than you bet in long haul

Hooch

I usually play them when I don't have a strong feeling one way or another on a game but have a slight lean, but not confident to make the bet I usually would.  I usually bet either half or 1/4 of my normal bet on those. 

widespreadsooie

Pouring rain in Pitt, under looking even better

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 02, 2013, 06:25:25 pm
Pouring rain in Pitt, under looking even better

The under could well be the play, but I tend to view rain as doing the opposite of what most go with.  I think it generally goes the advantage to the offense.  They know before the snap which way they need to go.  Also can cause turnovers and lots of short fields.

Or both teams go wildly conservative and you get a 17-14 game. :)

Who knows.

Smart money may actually be the under in this one, but just not the way I'm going.
Let's make some waves.

yraciv

September 02, 2013, 06:35:35 pm #3205 Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:05:56 pm by yraciv
Added 2 unit play on FSU -10.5

Brought me to 3-4, and even on the week.

yraciv

September 02, 2013, 06:36:18 pm #3206 Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:44:31 pm by yraciv
NM

widespreadsooie

SPAL

September 02, 2013, 07:02:07 pm #3208 Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:21:20 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot
Fsu/Pitt  o48    1 unit....W

SPAL

I don't think the weather will be a difference in this one.

widespreadsooie

My plays are solely based on the fact I don't see how Pitt moves the ball efficiently or effectively. Rain or shine.

Huckleberry Pig

Pitt having no problems early.  Shocked their O-line is playing so well when they are breaking in 3 new linemen

widespreadsooie

BJOhog

Quote from: widespreadsooie on September 02, 2013, 07:07:15 pm
My plays are solely based on the fact I don't see how Pitt moves the ball efficiently or effectively. Rain or shine.

you got to watch outside the sec man not saying im right or wrong but last year pit was a solid team if you bet thinkikng they coulding move the ball then that was wrong if you be tthinging they couldnt move the ball against flor state dling then that was calculated and maybe rigte

BJOhog

winston looked dang good i may be in trouble need a sunami

Huckleberry Pig

widespreadsooie

Quote from: billyjoeozark on September 02, 2013, 07:53:41 pm
you got to watch outside the sec man not saying im right or wrong but last year pit was a solid team if you bet thinkikng they coulding move the ball then that was wrong if you be tthinging they couldnt move the ball against flor state dling then that was calculated and maybe rigte

Outside of Street, they returned virtually zero offensive production. With that being said, I do watch more SEC.

BJOhog

state looks good unless there is an injery i dont see those boys losing i like miami a lot alot

but not over what im seeing

UAstudent13

Everyone like WKU +14 against Tenn? I feel like the line could only go down all week, no?

widespreadsooie

Quote from: UAstudent13 on September 02, 2013, 09:57:10 pm
Everyone like WKU +14 against Tenn? I feel like the line could only go down all week, no?

I don't see it going up, but I haven't seen much since late Saturday night.

SPAL

Quote from: UAstudent13 on September 02, 2013, 09:57:10 pm

I have it UT by 17 right now. I don't feel comfortable enough making a play on it right now.

OldCoot

100% this weekend. Have a parlay with Florida this weekend. Not bad.

widespreadsooie

As far as sides are concerned this weekend, I think I'll be taking it easy outside of Miami. Totals will be played though.

SPAL

September 02, 2013, 11:00:17 pm #3223 Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:12:55 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot
Week 1 ramblings...

1. First, let me welcome all the newcomers. Wether you are a new investor or a grizzled vet, we welcome everybody. We aren't a competitive bunch and we aren't competiting against each other. This thread is to intended to learn from each other, encourage each other, and just enjoy other opinions from our own. This Can't be overstated; I love this thread. It's my favorite thread and I look forward to the chatter. 65 pages and counting. That says a lot.

2. As a whole, it appears we finished week one with a bang. Jeff seemed to carry the torch in week 1 but ive seen a few (widespread and dude) have good weeks. If I missed you, it wasn't intentional.

3. I LOVE Bet Bud. Thanks for recommending it. I plug every one of my posted plays and track it. It's identical to what I post here.  I love getting the bells and whistles alerting me of positive trending. Of course, the buzzer that indicates a negative trend makes me ill.

4.  My analysis of a few games were spot on, and I didn't play them. Take for example the North Carolina vs South Carolina game. I graded it out to a 17 point USC win, but played UNC. South Carolina won by 17. I also graded out Arkansas to be 20 point winners with a 10 point line. I talked myself into thinking it was emotional betting. Woulda been winner number 2. Finally, I graded wazzu to beat the spread against Auburn. An easy win that I did not play. What turned out to a decent weekend, could have been great.

5. Speaking of near misses. My 3 unit plays are 2-1. My first 3 unit play was on USC-w and Hawaii. USC covered with 45 seconds left. I flipped back to watch another game I had invested, Rutgers/Fresno . Flipped back to see the final, and saw a replay of the 80 yard bomb Hawaii just hit to beat the spread and sink me.

6. There have been questions about units and playing units. We all have our own system that we use to determine outcomes. Some use sophisticated software and spreadsheets while others flip a coin. When we say "this is a 1,2,3....unit play" what we are saying, is that the higher the unit we bet, the more confidence we have in it. The majority of my plays will essentially be 2 and 3 unit plays. I will go up to 5 eventually.

Good luck in week 2 and happy investing.

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 02, 2013, 11:00:17 pm
Week 1 ramblings...

1. First, let me welcome all the newcomers. Wether you are a new investor or a grizzled vet, we welcome everybody. We aren't a competitive bunch and we aren't competiting against each other. This thread is to intended to learn from each other, encourage each other, and just enjoy other opinions from our own. This Can't be overstated; I love this thread. It's my favorite thread and I look forward to the chatter. 65 pages and counting. That says a lot.

2. As a whole, it appears we finished week one with a bang. Jeff seemed to carry the torch in week 1 but ive seen a few (widespread and dude) have good weeks. If I missed you, it wasn't intentional.

3. I LOVE Bet Bud. Thanks for recommending it. I plug every one of my posted plays and track it. It's identical to what I post here.  I love getting the bells and whistles alerting me of positive trending. Of course, the buzzer that indicates a negative trend makes me ill.

4.  My analysis of a few games were spot on, and I didn't play them. Take for example the North Carolina vs South Carolina game. I graded it out to a 17 point USC win, but played UNC. South Carolina won by 17. I also graded out Arkansas to be 20 point winners with a 10 point line. I talked myself into thinking it was emotional betting. Woulda been winner number 2. Finally, I graded wazzu to beat the spread against Auburn. An easy win that I did not play. What turned out to a decent weekend, could have been great.

5. Speaking of near misses. My 3 unit plays are 2-1. My first 3 unit play was on USC-w and Hawaii. USC covered with 45 seconds left. I flipped back to watch another game I had invested, Rutgers/Fresno . Flipped back to see the final, and saw a replay of the 80 yard bomb Hawaii just hit to beat the spread and sink me.

6. There have been questions about units and playing units. We all have our own system that we use to determine outcomes. Some use sophisticated software and spreadsheets while others flip a coin. When we say "this is a 1,2,3....unit play" what we are saying, is that the higher the unit we bet, the more confidence we have in it. The majority of my plays will essentially be 2 and 3 unit plays. I will go up to 5 eventually.

Good luck in week 2 and happy investing.

Nice post my man.
Let's make some waves.

McKdaddy

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 02, 2013, 11:00:17 pm
Week 1 ramblings...

You're welcome. It is a handy tracker for in-game(s) tracking, as well as tracking results over any or all periods of time, for any or all major sports.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

widespreadsooie

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 02, 2013, 04:31:25 pm
Went 2-1 on Saturday and hit my 3* bet (max bet for me).  Excited about that. 

Overall Record: 2-1
3*: 1-0
2*: NA
1*: 1-1

Again, I have Florida St. at -10.5 as a 1* bet for tonight  W

Was able to hit the FSU game last night, starting my first weekend off pretty well.  3-1 overall.

I should explain, last year I did a 5* system but I am trying to simplify my betting this year.  My max play this year will be 3* and each star is worth a unit.  (1* = 1 unit).  I am doing this to help with my own money mgmt as this is something I struggled with last year (my rookie year).  That being said, here is my updated record.

Overall Record:  3-1
3*: 1-0
2*: NA
1*: 2-1

P/L: +4 units

Hawgndaaz

Was fun to hit the FSU game last night, mainly because that kid is going to be a blast to watch the next few years. Glad he isn't in the SEC.

DadVader1

Nothing is really jumping out at me this week, so I will probably stick with my original plan and not play much for another week or two.  I put 1/2 unit on Texas -7 at BYU.  This is still pretty much just a gut play.  I think Texas is still undervalued, BYU may be slightly overvalued, and Texas should overwhelm them on talent alone.

UAstudent13

Quote from: DadVader1 on September 03, 2013, 09:18:30 am
Nothing is really jumping out at me this week, so I will probably stick with my original plan and not play much for another week or two.  I put 1/2 unit on Texas -7 at BYU.  This is still pretty much just a gut play.  I think Texas is still undervalued, BYU may be slightly overvalued, and Texas should overwhelm them on talent alone.

Agreed. Nothing is really sticking out to me either.

DadVader1

It's too soon to put too much weight on any particular power ranking system, but  Keeper, DP Dwiggins, and Moore all did better than 60% ATS on opening weekend.  If you haven't run across thepredictiontracker.com, it has some good information: http://www.thepredictiontracker.com/ncaaresults.php

Huckleberry Pig

Any reason why Oregon State is favored by 27.5 against Hawaii when they lost last week to E Washington?  Also a Hawaii team that covered the 23 pt spread against an equal, if not better, USC team?

???

Also looking at Minnesota @ New Mexico State

Huckleberry Pig

September 03, 2013, 10:53:46 am #3233 Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:30:30 am by Huckleberry Pig
not a lot on the table this week that spikes my interest... games I'm looking at:

Western Kentucky +13.5 @ Tennessee -- Just think Petrino will out gameplan Butch Jones.  Still not sold on Tennessee, they won big this past weekend but against Austin Peay.  I believe sometimes playing a cupcake like that then playing a significantly better team you can start out a little flat.  Think Petrino takes advantage of this and can keep this one close.  Would like to see this line at +14 before I bite on it.

Arkansas State +13 @ Auburn -- Was NOT impressed with Auburn's win against a very lowly Washington State team.  Auburn really struggles throwing the ball and did not look good on D.  I think this ASU team is better than that Washington State team and I expect them to keep it close.  Would also like to see this line go up to +14 before I bite on it.

Hawaii +27.5 @ Oregon State -- I just don't understand this line.  I realize Hawaii is bad and is on the road but they covered against a USC team that I thought was just as good if not better than Oregon State (at least talent wise).  Oregon State also just lost to E Washington.  Am I missing a significant injury to Hawaii or something?  I just think they keep it within 27.5.

Minnesota -16.5 @ NMSU -- I was actually surprised to see some early turnovers for the NMSU defense but their offense was pitiful (UT's D is good, but not spectacular).  I think Minnesota is a decent team and NMSU is one of the worst.  Minnesota by 20+.

Sippers -7 @ BYU -- Didn't like seeing the early TO's but once they settled down they looked fine.  They should have a very good running game and should be able to play this game at their pace.  BYU lost to an average at best Virginia team.  Just not impressed with their offense and I don't think they keep up with UT.  If UT can negate the TO's, I think they win by 10+.  Would really like to see this line at -6.5 but I dont think it gets there.

Oregon -22 @ Virginia -- Would like to see this go down to -21 but think Oregon takes care of business here.  Oregon's speed/style of play should cause some havoc for Virginia.  Also think Virginia will be slightly emotionally exhausted after a "big" (for them) win against BYU.  Will be tough for Virginia to gameplan/adjust to Oregon's speed.  Like Oregon by 28 here.

South Carolina +3 @ Georgia -- Georgia D looked awful and I think SC D (esp D line) will cause problems for Georgia.  Think SC takes this one straight up.

SPAL

Tell ta what huck, you may be on to something with those. A few of those I'm working myself.

I've graded Texas as 14 point winners and the line is 7. This may be my first 4 or 5 unit play.

As far as Hawaii goes. That offense is putrid. The defense seemed solid, but the USC offense was just as craptastix as Hawaii. USC is a joke. Sadly, I didn't get to watch Oregon st. My guess would be that Oregon st has a better offense than USC did . Hawaii won't be able to score with Oregon state. I know enough to that I'm not playing this one.

I'm probably in the other side of the USC Georgia game. I think Georgia wins by 10 or more. Clemson will beat Carolina by 3 scores. I'm just not impressed with them. I could be missing something, but I think Georgia covers. Probably not gonna make my card though.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 03, 2013, 12:55:09 pm
Tell ta what huck, you may be on to something with those. A few of those I'm working myself.

I've graded Texas as 14 point winners and the line is 7. This may be my first 4 or 5 unit play.

As far as Hawaii goes. That offense is putrid. The defense seemed solid, but the USC offense was just as craptastix as Hawaii. USC is a joke. Sadly, I didn't get to watch Oregon st. My guess would be that Oregon st has a better offense than USC did . Hawaii won't be able to score with Oregon state. I know enough to that I'm not playing this one.

agreed.  I'll likely stay away from it as well.  I normally like to stay within the SEC but just thought it was odd that a team that just lost to E. Washington was favored by 27.5

SPAL

I love UAB getting 35 against LSU. LSU will win easily, but I think they will coast after a big win against TCU. I like UAB To score at least 10, asking LSU to score 45 points. Just can't see it gaping. LSU bY 24

Week #1 College Re-cap for me

Straight Bets VS the Line no money lines played
13-5. +18 units

Three team parlays
1-1   + 5 units

Two team parlays
1-0. +2.5 units

Week end is +25.5 units -120.00 in juices on straight game losses

A little over +24 units for the week.

Hope to do half as well this week!
Let's make some waves.

Billyjoeozark

Just for you

Reds
Yankees
Tigers
Angels

25.00 to win 220.00
Let's make some waves.

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 03, 2013, 01:08:52 pm
I love UAB getting 35 against LSU. LSU will win easily, but I think they will coast after a big win against TCU. I like UAB To score at least 10, asking LSU to score 45 points. Just can't see it gaping. LSU bY 24

Ha you said gaping!    iPhone post?
Let's make some waves.

SPAL

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 03, 2013, 02:18:48 pm

Ha you said gaping!    iPhone post?

Hahaha. Yes sir. Pretty sure it was supposed to be happening

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 03, 2013, 12:59:22 pm
agreed.  I'll likely stay away from it as well.  I normally like to stay within the SEC but just thought it was odd that a team that just lost to E. Washington was favored by 27.5

I agree it's a lot of points, and if I play it I will probably take the rainbows plus.

Always keep in mind however. Travel schedules. Depending on Hawaii's budget to they get there plenty early enough to adjust to the time swing?  Just something o remember. Think nfl east coast playing Monday night west coast game then flying back home for a 1:00 start at home the following Sunday.

Still 27.5 should be too much.  Keep in mind I have not looked at this game. 
Let's make some waves.

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 03, 2013, 02:21:55 pm
Hahaha. Yes sir. Pretty sure it was supposed to be happening

Lol I knew. I do stuff like that all the time, and I am waaaaay too lazy to go back and correct it!
Let's make some waves.

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 03, 2013, 10:53:46 am
not a lot on the table this week that spikes my interest... games I'm looking at:

Western Kentucky +13.5 @ Tennessee -- Just think Petrino will out gameplan Butch Jones.  Still not sold on Tennessee, they won big this past weekend but against Austin Peay.  I believe sometimes playing a cupcake like that then playing a significantly better team you can start out a little flat.  Think Petrino takes advantage of this and can keep this one close.  Would like to see this line at +14 before I bite on it.

Arkansas State +13 @ Auburn -- Was NOT impressed with Auburn's win against a very lowly Washington State team.  Auburn really struggles throwing the ball and did not look good on D.  I think this ASU team is better than that Washington State team and I expect them to keep it close.  Would also like to see this line go up to +14 before I bite on it.

Hawaii +27.5 @ Oregon State -- I just don't understand this line.  I realize Hawaii is bad and is on the road but they covered against a USC team that I thought was just as good if not better than Oregon State (at least talent wise).  Oregon State also just lost to E Washington.  Am I missing a significant injury to Hawaii or something?  I just think they keep it within 27.5.

Minnesota -16.5 @ NMSU -- I was actually surprised to see some early turnovers for the NMSU defense but their offense was pitiful (UT's D is good, but not spectacular).  I think Minnesota is a decent team and NMSU is one of the worst.  Minnesota by 20+.

Sippers -7 @ BYU -- Didn't like seeing the early TO's but once they settled down they looked fine.  They should have a very good running game and should be able to play this game at their pace.  BYU lost to an average at best Virginia team.  Just not impressed with their offense and I don't think they keep up with UT.  If UT can negate the TO's, I think they win by 10+.  Would really like to see this line at -6.5 but I dont think it gets there.

Oregon -22 @ Virginia -- Would like to see this go down to -21 but think Oregon takes care of business here.  Oregon's speed/style of play should cause some havoc for Virginia.  Also think Virginia will be slightly emotionally exhausted after a "big" (for them) win against BYU.  Will be tough for Virginia to gameplan/adjust to Oregon's speed.  Like Oregon by 28 here.

South Carolina +3 @ Georgia -- Georgia D looked awful and I think SC D (esp D line) will cause problems for Georgia.  Think SC takes this one straight up.

Couple early thought on a few of these. Not disagreeing and may end up going the way you mentioned on a few, but devils advocate.  I do this with my own early leans as well.

Minn and Texas I agree without a doubt.

WKU vs TN. I am as big a Petrino fan as there is. I believe he may be second to none when it comes to game planning.  No matter how mediocre the Vols have been do not confuse their overall talent with that of Kentucky. Been a coaching carousel.  WKU may stay within the line, and hell Bobby might find a way to win it, but a huge fear factor in this one for me.

AR ST vs Auburn.  See above.  Auburn may have played Washington St, but like Petrino the Pirate can game plan.  Overall talent on the field leans heavily Auburns way.

Georgia vs South Carolina.  S Carolina is not nearly as explosive as Clemson.  Talent levels edge on offense GA defense S Carolina. Not to mention the Clemson loss doesn't hurt GA in SEC east if they bounce back. 

Just food for thought and doesn't mean I'm picking any of those games, or what side. Too early in the week for me.
Let's make some waves.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 03, 2013, 02:36:13 pm
Couple early thought on a few of these. Not disagreeing and may end up going the way you mentioned on a few, but devils advocate.  I do this with my own early leans as well.

Minn and Texas I agree without a doubt.

WKU vs TN. I am as big a Petrino fan as there is. I believe he may be second to none when it comes to game planning.  No matter how mediocre the Vols have been do not confuse their overall talent with that of Kentucky. Been a coaching carousel.  WKU may stay within the line, and hell Bobby might find a way to win it, but a huge fear factor in this one for me.

AR ST vs Auburn.  See above.  Auburn may have played Washington St, but like Petrino the Pirate can game plan.  Overall talent on the field leans heavily Auburns way.

Georgia vs South Carolina.  S Carolina is not nearly as explosive as Clemson.  Talent levels edge on offense GA defense S Carolina. Not to mention the Clemson loss doesn't hurt GA in SEC east if they bounce back. 

Just food for thought and doesn't mean I'm picking any of those games, or what side. Too early in the week for me.

hey i love reading opposing views, one of the main reasons i post in here.  lots of knowledgeable folks that may see something I don't.  I won't play any games till friday evening or saturday morning, this is just me looking at games from a broad spectrum and "thinking out-loud".  Would love to see everyone's thoughts on these games. 

and I find myself agreeing with you on W. Kentucky and A. State.

UAstudent13

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 03, 2013, 12:55:09 pm

I'm probably in the other side of the USC Georgia game. I think Georgia wins by 10 or more. Clemson will beat Carolina by 3 scores. I'm just not impressed with them. I could be missing something, but I think Georgia covers. Probably not gonna make my card though.

I'm with you, I think TX will cover -7.5 against BYU, and Georgia will win by at least a TD against SC at home for a rebound.

I also think that Michigan will win by 10 against ND at home. Not a believer in Rees, especially on the road and I'm buying into Gardner.

Hawgndaaz

Okie State -26 @ UT-SA

is this a decent blowout game to throw money at?

Why the hell would OSU be playing them on the road or am I seeing it wrong?

UAstudent13

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 03, 2013, 02:49:25 pm
hey i love reading opposing views, one of the main reasons i post in here.  lots of knowledgeable folks that may see something I don't.  I won't play any games till friday evening or saturday morning, this is just me looking at games from a broad spectrum and "thinking out-loud".  Would love to see everyone's thoughts on these games. 

and I find myself agreeing with you on W. Kentucky and A. State.

what's the reasoning for waiting til Friday? serious question.

I jumped on TX early while I still had it at -7. If you like the early line and are afraid it might move, why wait? Injuries?

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on September 03, 2013, 03:29:35 pm
what's the reasoning for waiting til Friday? serious question.

I jumped on TX early while I still had it at -7. If you like the early line and are afraid it might move, why wait? Injuries?

Totally up to you. If you bet the horns today -7 and they have 20 players miss curfew and get suspended you are locked in.

Then again you wait and it could go up to -11

Flip a coin there. I would rather wait and not bet it than get locked in and something happen, but that's just me.
Let's make some waves.