Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First AP top 25

Started by Next1_04, August 21, 2017, 11:31:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

August 21, 2017, 06:55:56 pm #50 Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:50:42 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: PorkRinds on August 21, 2017, 11:37:00 am
Texas in the top 25? 5-7 and no bowl game, but deserve a top 25 ranking?  :puke:

There are a lot of errors in my opinion in there. Texas being included is one. How about Michigan? At a pre-season #11? They have the 36th most difficult schedule according to Phil Steele, they do return their QB, but get a load of this...they return just 4 starters on Offense and only 1 on Defense. Now they do return 52 lettermen between the offense and defense but 5 total starters returning on both sides of the ball combined and you merit a #11 pre-season ranking? Who's voting on this again? Knowledgeable people? Ha, maybe not. Popularity contest.

Even Appalachian State (in the extended rankings) is ahead of us. Ridiculous.
Go Hogs Go!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 21, 2017, 04:35:09 pm
Louisville has to go to Tallahassee.  Florida State will be striving to punish Louisville because of last season.

Louisville does get Clemson in Louisville.  Lamar Jackson though shouldn't expect to run around on Clemson's Defense.

Really?  He had 295 yards passing and 162 yards rushing on them last year in Clemson.  He will run all over them just like last year. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Ā 

Hogwild

Quote from: verticalhog on August 21, 2017, 02:32:26 pm
What?  No Notre Dame?  Maybe we are in the end times!

It is not like two voters tried.  The Irish have 65 votes, one voter had them in the top 10 and then there is Mitch Vingle of The Charleston Gazette ballot

#1 Alabama
#2 Ohio State
#3 Notre Dame
#4 OU
#5 LSU

other out-liners of note (more than a 5 spot difference from the actually ranking)
#9 Florida, #11 USC,#14 Penn State, #16 Texas, #18 West Virginia, #19 Stanford, #20 Utah, #21 NC State, #22 Pitt, #23 OK State, #24UGA, #25 UL

247Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 21, 2017, 06:55:56 pm
There are a lot of errors in my opinion in there. Texas being included is one. How about Michigan? At a pre-season #11? They have the 36th most difficult schedule according to Phil Steele, they do return their QB, but get a load of this...they return just 4 starters on Offense and only 1 on Defense. Now they do return 52 lettermen between the offense and defense but 5 total starters returning on both sides of the ball combined and you merit a #11 pre-season ranking? Who's voting on this again? Knowledgeable people? Ha, maybe not. Popularity contest.

Yup
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 21, 2017, 05:07:25 pm
Clemson sucks. So does Brent Venables.

Their record of 28 wins and 2 losses over the last two seasons shows otherwise.

Their 2 losses was by a combined 6 points (a 5 point loss to Alabama in a NC game and a 1 point loss to Pittsburgh).

It should be remembered that their 1 point loss to Pittsburgh was officiated by a biased Referee who is a University of South Carolina graduate.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Probably feel their coach can make up for those shortcomings and win

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: factchecker on August 21, 2017, 04:25:06 pm
In what way did Louisville need to be turned around?

Strong left a very good foundation.  His Louisville teams went 11-2 (with Sugar Bowl win over Florida) and 12-1 before he went to Texas.

Strong turned around a Louisville program that went 5-7 and 4-8 the two seasons before.

True. BP just keep things going. Not a turn around like the others. Still, a poor hire can often negate what gains the previous coach left

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 21, 2017, 07:48:47 pm
Really?  He had 295 yards passing and 162 yards rushing on them last year in Clemson.  He will run all over them just like last year. 

Louisville came into that game last season against Clemson averaging 63.5 points per game.  Clemson held them to 36 points.

It will be more difficult for Lamar Jackson to have that kind of yards production against Clemson this season.  Louisville lost 3 multiyear starting Offensive Linemen (Center and both Guards).  Louisville lost their multiyear starting Running Back, they lost their best starting Wide Receiver, and they lost another starting Wide Receiver.  Losing 6 Senior starters on Offense at one one time will be difficult to overcome (especially those 3 Offensive Linemen).

Also, provided there are no injuries for Clemson before they play Louisville, Clemson's Defensive Line should be better than their DL was last season. 

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 21, 2017, 10:04:54 pm
Their record of 28 wins and 2 losses over the last two seasons shows otherwise.

Their 2 losses was by a combined 6 points (a 5 point loss to Alabama in a NC game and a 1 point loss to Pittsburgh).

It should be remembered that their 1 point loss to Pittsburgh was officiated by a biased Referee who is a University of South Carolina graduate.

Gotcha right where I wanted ya.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 21, 2017, 10:46:28 pm
Louisville came into that game last season against Clemson averaging 63.5 points per game.  Clemson held them to 36 points.

It will be more difficult for Lamar Jackson to have that kind of yards production against Clemson this season.  Louisville lost 3 multiyear starting Offensive Linemen (Center and both Guards).  Louisville lost their multiyear starting Running Back, they lost their best starting Wide Receiver, and they lost another starting Wide Receiver.  Losing 6 Senior starters on Offense at one one time will be difficult to overcome (especially those 3 Offensive Linemen).

Also, provided there are no injuries for Clemson before they play Louisville, Clemson's Defensive Line should be better than their DL was last season.

Louisville put up 60 points on FSU and put up a lot on other teams, yet you're pumping up Clemson for holding them to *just* 36. That's still a lot of points.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on August 21, 2017, 10:25:17 pm

Probably feel their coach can make up for those shortcomings and win

With 5 returning starters out of 22? Doubtful.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 21, 2017, 11:08:20 pm
Louisville put up 60 points on FSU and put up a lot on other teams, yet you're pumping up Clemson for holding them to *just* 36. That's still a lot of points.

He's also ignoring the fact that Clemson lost not only their starting QB from last year, they lost their #2 QB from last year too. Their current starting QB has taken maybe 2 snaps in a game since he's been at Clemson. As much as he wants it to be, this year's Clemson team will not be near as good as last years Clemson team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Ā 

Inhogswetrust

They at least know how to beat Michigan..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 22, 2017, 07:16:27 am
They at least know how to beat Michigan..........................

50% of the time anyway.

2007- Michigan  32   Appl State  34
2014- Michigan  52   Appl State  14
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 21, 2017, 11:37:00 am
Texas in the top 25? 5-7 and no bowl game, but deserve a top 25 ranking?  :puke:

Just shows the AP voters really do get it and do homework... texas will win the natty this year.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: HamSammich on August 22, 2017, 08:31:08 am
Just shows the AP voters really do get it and do homework... texas will win the natty this year.
Every time I think the stupidest thing has already been said on here, someone comes along and one ups it.

Good job.  You now hold the title of "Stupidest Thing Ever Said on Hogville"...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Hoggish1

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 12:41:49 pm
wait, being in the top 25 and DESERVING to be in the top 25 are two very different things.

Should not be any polls released until after the 1st Sat in October.

Right.  Hogville settled this issue long ago. 

HotlantaHog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 12:44:25 pm
So you say Texas DESERVES to be in the top 25?
I didn't say that... I have not researched Texas or how good the team will be this year... Just saying dismissing a team based on last year's record is not overly persuasive .... There are teams that are good every year with the same coach ... Alabama... so you can see why they are at or near the top every year... But there is a lot of volatility from year to year too...

HotlantaHog

Quote from: GuvHog on August 22, 2017, 07:03:50 am
He's also ignoring the fact that Clemson lost not only their starting QB from last year, they lost their #2 QB from last year too. Their current starting QB has taken maybe 2 snaps in a game since he's been at Clemson. As much as he wants it to be, this year's Clemson team will not be near as good as last years Clemson team.

I think this is true. This Clemson team is much more likely to be a 9-3 or 8-4 team, which isn't bad ... but Clemson doesn't have the kind of talent that can make up for the serious losses of the last year, especially Watson but a few other big ones too.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2017, 07:44:13 am
50% of the time anyway.

2007- Michigan  32   Appl State  34
2014- Michigan  52   Appl State  14

Isn't that 100% better than our percentage against them?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 22, 2017, 09:33:31 am
Isn't that 100% better than our percentage against them?

Two games? Come on, mannnnn. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

August 22, 2017, 11:17:47 am #72 Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:28:43 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2017, 09:34:25 am
Two games? Come on, mannnnn. ;)

My humor attempts must not be very good today!

Hogwild

AP All-American Team released

The ACC led all conferences with seven players on the first team, followed by the SEC with five and the Big Ten and Pac-12 with four each.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20418322/sam-darnold-usc-trojans-saquon-barkley-penn-state-nittany-lions-lead-ap-all-america-team

Ā 

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 22, 2017, 08:40:09 am
Every time I think the stupidest thing has already been said on here, someone comes along and one ups it.

[/quote)

Hogsanity awarded me with that honor only a couple of days ago. I am extremely disappointed my place on top of stupidest post was so short lived. Oh well, that's life on Hogville.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HotlantaHog on August 22, 2017, 09:17:32 am
I think this is true. This Clemson team is much more likely to be a 9-3 or 8-4 team, which isn't bad ... but Clemson doesn't have the kind of talent that can make up for the serious losses of the last year, especially Watson but a few other big ones too.

Kelly Bryant probably won't have the total stats that Watson had (who would?), but Bryant doesn't have to be all-world for them considering all of the elite offensive talent that is around him, and considering that Clemson's Defense has the potential of being even better than last season.

They are replacing RB Gallman with RB Feaster.  There has been some talk over there that Feaster may be better than C.J. Spiller, who was a consensus All-American RB for them several years ago.

They are replacing WR Williams with 2 WRs who are 5 Star WRs (Cain and Higgins).

On Defense, they are replacing LB Boulware with LB Lamar.  Lamar is 6'4" 250 lbs. and he is probably quicker to the ball than was Boulware.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: Hogwild on August 21, 2017, 06:40:07 pm

Kansas State's recruiting #s are also deceptive since the sign a good number of Jucos each year, which don't count in their point total.  I didn't go through all their classes, but the first two combined to have 9 players who had a zero score.

So that means our classes are that much stronger too? We have had a couple of juco guys each of the past few years...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 23, 2017, 01:24:06 pm
Kelly Bryant probably won't have the total stats that Watson had (who would?), but Bryant doesn't have to be all-world for them considering all of the elite offensive talent that is around him, and considering that Clemson's Defense has the potential of being even better than last season.

They are replacing RB Gallman with RB Feaster.  There has been some talk over there that Feaster may be better than C.J. Spiller, who was a consensus All-American RB for them several years ago.

They are replacing WR Williams with 2 WRs who are 5 Star WRs (Cain and Higgins).

On Defense, they are replacing LB Boulware with LB Lamar.  Lamar is 6'4" 250 lbs. and he is probably quicker to the ball than was Boulware.

Clemson lived on a knife's edge all last year... there were half a dozen games they could have lost during the regular season and of course they did lose the one to Pitt.... but came really close to blowing a handful of other games starting with Troy if my memory is correct ... and NC State... some others ... and of course there were big games with FSU and the ACC championship game ... In many of those games, Watson, whose actual stats were less good than the year before, was something of an intangible edge that allowed them to win some very, very close games. Mike Williams was pretty amazing too -- I know Clemson tends to have great receivers year after year, at least under Dabo...

If you credit many of last year's wins to Watson instead of luck (and there's a case that luck does play a role), this year could be tougher with an inexperienced QB with skills that are somewhat less.

31to6

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢ on August 23, 2017, 01:36:36 pm
So that means our classes are that much stronger too? We have had a couple of juco guys each of the past few years...
No. The JUCOs we recruited and signed were all rated by the recruiting services.

And we don't sign that many more JUCOs than anyone else. Most SEC teams sign 2-4 JUCOs each year.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HotlantaHog on August 23, 2017, 01:52:51 pm
Clemson lived on a knife's edge all last year... there were half a dozen games they could have lost during the regular season and of course they did lose the one to Pitt.... but came really close to blowing a handful of other games starting with Troy if my memory is correct ... and NC State... some others ... and of course there were big games with FSU and the ACC championship game ... In many of those games, Watson, whose actual stats were less good than the year before, was something of an intangible edge that allowed them to win some very, very close games. Mike Williams was pretty amazing too -- I know Clemson tends to have great receivers year after year, at least under Dabo...

If you credit many of last year's wins to Watson instead of luck (and there's a case that luck does play a role), this year could be tougher with an inexperienced QB with skills that are somewhat less.

There is probably too much of a focus by the national college football analysts regarding them losing Watson.  They are returning a lot on their lines-of-scrimmage.  That will be more important than many national analysts are realizing because the national analysts are so focused on the loss of Watson.

They are returning 4 of their 5 starting Offensive Linemen from last season.  They are replacing their Center, but their probable Center replacement has a lot of game experience.

They are returning 3 of their 4 starting Defensive Linemen from last season.  They are replacing an All-Conference Defensive Tackle, Watkins, but they are replacing him with an All-American DT (Lawrence).

Unless they don't pull a Ohio State the season after Ohio State won the NC, i.e., poor attitude with not much of a sense urgency, they will still be really good.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Polecat on August 21, 2017, 03:32:44 pm
Whisky (Wisconsin). Not whiskey

Surprised to see the Badgers in the Top Ten

Badgers need to watch out for that second game of the year against FAU.  That would have been a cakewalk before Kiffin got there, but he will throw the playbook at them to try to keep it close into the 4th quarter, and he has been accumulating some decent talent down there.

HamSammich

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 22, 2017, 08:40:09 am

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: ricepig on August 21, 2017, 01:31:03 pm
A little early, but I'll take it neat.

Works for me. Current issue is in excess of 118 Proof
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Razorod

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on August 21, 2017, 12:49:00 pm
No TCU? Or did the eclipse already make me blind?

Thought they were going to be in there so we can whoop a ranked team at DWRRS.
Our non-conference schedule is weak. Should have no trouble going 4-0 this year. With the messes at Ole Miss and A&M plus S Carolina and Mizzou for our eastern division opponents,and MSU at home we should be at least 9-3 at the end of the season. Win one of Bama, LSU and AU and we could be 10-2.

For an SEC and overall schedule, this one's pretty mild. We need to make some hay this year while the opportunity presents itself.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Razorod on August 25, 2017, 09:21:14 am
Our non-conference schedule is weak. Should have no trouble going 4-0 this year. With the messes at Ole Miss and A&M plus S Carolina and Mizzou for our eastern division opponents, and MSU at home, we should be at least 9-3 at the end of the season. Win one of Bama, LSU and AU and we could be 10-2.

For an SEC and overall schedule, this one's pretty mild. We need to make some hay this year while the opportunity presents itself.
The only negative to our schedule this season is the 10 game stretch with no break.  That is going to be difficult.  If we can navigate that without losing one we shouldn't, this will be a very good year.
All Gas, No Brakes!

oldhawg

Quote from: Razorod on August 25, 2017, 09:21:14 am
Our non-conference schedule is weak. Should have no trouble going 4-0 this year. With the messes at Ole Miss and A&M plus S Carolina and Mizzou for our eastern division opponents,and MSU at home we should be at least 9-3 at the end of the season. Win one of Bama, LSU and AU and we could be 10-2.

We should beat them in Fayetteville, but I don't call TCU weak.  The other out of conference games should be tea parties.

Razorod

Quote from: oldhawg on August 25, 2017, 10:06:35 am
We should beat them in Fayetteville, but I don't call TCU weak.  The other out of conference games should be tea parties.
Individually, TCU is not weak, but they're not great. Collectively, our four out of conference opponents are weak. No top 25 team among them and the toughest is a home game coming off a nine-day break after playing a jv squad. NMSU has even had recent conversations about dropping down to the FCS level (and they probably should follow Idaho's lead). We should easily go 4-0 in our non-conf games.

And, I honestly don't think this is a bumper year for the SEC. With a fifth year qb the quality of Allen, there's not a game on the schedule we can't win. And no I'm not saying we'll go 12-0, but even Bama has some significant question marks on their team this year and are beatable. In fact, if the game was in Fayetteville, I honestly think we would win the game.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Sivad

Quote from: hogsanity on August 21, 2017, 01:19:39 pm
Just watch how they prop up  USF all season. They play no one and are the only non p5 hope for a ny6 bowl appearance.
No kidding. Bless Charlie's little heart, but come on.

longpig

Quote from: davglo35 on August 21, 2017, 06:37:23 pm
I think lack of depth caught up with Louisville down the stretch. I also think the Heismen should have went to Watson at Clemson. He probably wouldn't want it since it's more often than not a curse.
Preseason polls are always guessing game.

Watson was hot and cold all season.
Don't be scared, be smart.

TNRazorbacker

I suppose you treat royalty as such until it becomes apparent to all they're naked.