Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Senate Bill 724 Could Exempt Athletic Facilities from Concealed Carry

Started by gdumont, March 29, 2017, 11:07:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gdumont

Bret Bielema is concerned about the safety of his players if Senate Bill 724 doesn't pass on Thursday. How do you feel about the latest amendment to the concealed carry laws?

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/sb-724-could-exempt-athletic-facilities-from-concealed-carry/682805925

hawginbigd1

parallaxpig

Yes I know there is another thread going about guns in the stadium. I felt it was important to high lite this one more time. For all you who think this amendment will pass, the vote is going to be close. The NRA is putting their usual pressure on the legislators to vote no. They are going to use this vote to grade them and that could cost them being re-elected if they choose to run again. The potential to lose NCAA baseball, track and gymnastic regionals is there. If you care about these things, then I would ask you talk with your local legislator this morning. For all you who say that guns are already in stadium then fine why do you need this law. For full disclosure, I have a CCL. Just don't think this particular gun right is good policy.............
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

sw403

Why would we loose NCAA baseball, track and gymnastic regionals?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sw403 on March 30, 2017, 06:42:37 am

You're kidding .............They pulled stuff out of NC over who uses what restroom and you wonder why they wouldn't pull events out of Arkansas over having guns there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

parallaxpig

The potential is there for them to say it constitutes an unsafe environment and not award us those regionals.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

fullfan

Next it will be because we do not have transgender bathrooms.

PORKULATOR

WE DONT NEED GUNS AT SPORTING EVENTS. Its unfathomable that some of you wusses need your hand canon to feel safe while watching the Hogs. Talk about snowflakes.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

jkstock04

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 30, 2017, 06:38:42 am
Yes I know there is another thread going about guns in the stadium. I felt it was important to high lite this one more time. For all you who think this amendment will pass, the vote is going to be close. The NRA is putting their usual pressure on the legislators to vote no. They are going to use this vote to grade them and that could cost them being re-elected if they choose to run again. The potential to lose NCAA baseball, track and gymnastic regionals is there. If you care about these things, then I would ask you talk with your local legislator this morning. For all you who say that guns are already in stadium then fine why do you need this law. For full disclosure, I have a CCL. Just don't think this particular gun right is good policy.............
Good point there.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

JIMMY BOARFFETT

It sounds like the legislature has painted themselves into a corner and are desperately trying to find a way out.  On one hand, you have the powerful NRA waiting to grade you and the other, the SEC commissioner making politically correct threats to our standing in the conference.  Beautiful.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

rljjr

Because it's a terrible law/idea and it puts student athletes at an actual risk of physical safety. This is far bigger than the bathroom bill in NC.

HogHolio

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 30, 2017, 06:38:42 am

I'm as much of a gun guy as anybody and support being able to have guns just about anywhere, but IMO not even the police need guns in a stadium.  There is not a single place that a firearm could be safely discharged in that environment with the density of people. Rubber ammo or tasers are all that should be allowed. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Good luck finding referees to officiate our games. They already get harassment and death threats, but one really bad call and *pow*. While were at it, lets go ahead and legalize blades at game venues too. Losing team performs seppuku at midfield  ::)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Not only could it endanger our position in the SEC, it would destroy recruiting. Parents are already worried about sending their kid off, adding guns into the mix not going to help
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 30, 2017, 07:59:33 am
Not only could it endanger our position in the SEC, it would destroy recruiting. Parents are already worried about sending their kid off, adding guns into the mix not going to help

Yup yup. You can ignore the politics of this thing, it will not be good for recruiting and that alone is a big big deal.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

HogHolio

Quote from: hogz11 on March 30, 2017, 07:56:53 am
Well if even the police don't have guns, then what stops the bad guy that brings in the gun?

Ever seen what happens at a school, movie theater, or some place where no one has a gun and some armed nut job shows up?

Unarmed police are nothing more than mall cops. Doesn't work and never will.

I have no issue with guns in schools or guns in movie theaters, but a stadium with 70K people does no body any good.  If they can come in with enough firepower that they can't be controlled with non-lethal rounds or tasers than we have a much larger security issue that needs to be addressed.  Having cops start shooting back in that size of crowd with ricochets and pass through, more people will be hurt than otherwise. 

FANONTHEHILL

As the father of a current player, I can assure you that it's not only the parents of recruits that are concerned.
I don't think people understand the extent to which this will damage ALL athletic programs at the UofA.

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Pork Twain

I cannot imagine any valid reason to need to carry concealed at a professional or college sporting event.  Can't the university make the call to prohibit guns from their athletic facilities?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

It pisses me off because other states, especially outside of the south think Arkansas are dumb, tobacco spittin, gun shootin, country hicks........and situations like this don't help our case in any way

uconnhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 30, 2017, 08:36:58 am
I cannot imagine any valid reason to need to carry concealed at a professional or college sporting event.  Can't the university make the call to prohibit guns from their athletic facilities?
I agree 100% I would also include church

rljjr

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 30, 2017, 08:34:19 am
As the father of a current player, I can assure you that it's not only the parents of recruits that are concerned.
I don't think people understand the extent to which this will damage ALL athletic programs at the UofA.

I agree completely, and some damage has already been done. NOBODY in the entire ARLEG thought through the third-order effects? Morons. It appears this Collins character just wanted to make a name for himself. He actually thinks he is a big shot for being on shows like Finebaum. Just seems to me he's drunk on publicity.

Be careful what you vote for, ARLEG. It's going to boomerang and bite your constituents in the butt. And for what? There was a problem that needed to be fixed? No. This is of your doing, ARLEG. Disgusting.

(notOM)Rebel123

Any idea what time this vote will take place?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

sowmonella

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 30, 2017, 08:38:43 am
It pisses me off because other states, especially outside of the south think Arkansas are dumb, tobacco spittin, gun shootin, country hicks........and situations like this don't help our case in any way

I'm with you on this one Boss.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

PonderinHog

hawgwash

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 30, 2017, 08:36:58 am
Prior to a few days ago the university could choose to allow or prohibit guns on campus.  Then our legislature, in its infinite wisdom, passed a law which the governor signed that allows anyone of a certain age (21 I think?) with a concealed carry permit and 8 hours of additional training, to carry a gun anywhere on the campus of a public university, including athletic events.  Under this law the decision is taken away from the schools.  The amendment now under consideration would exempt athletic events from this law, meaning the school can prohibit firearms at athletic events provided they have a satisfactory security plan for the event.

hawgwash

Quote from: rljjr on March 30, 2017, 08:47:09 am

I agree completely, and some damage has already been done. NOBODY in the entire ARLEG thought through the third-order effects? Morons. It appears this Collins character just wanted to make a name for himself. He actually thinks he is a big shot for being on shows like Finebaum. Just seems to me he's drunk on publicity.

Be careful what you vote for, ARLEG. It's going to boomerang and bite your constituents in the butt. And for what? There was a problem that needed to be fixed? No. This is of your doing, ARLEG. Disgusting.
+1000.  Perfect post.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2017, 06:44:23 am
You're kidding .............They pulled stuff out of NC over who uses what restroom and you wonder why they wouldn't pull events out of Arkansas over having guns there.

I would like to see the NCAA and pro sports remove regionals, championships, and all star games from cities that are Sanctuary Cities.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hawgwash on March 30, 2017, 08:55:36 am
Prior to a few days ago the university could choose to allow or prohibit guns on campus.  Then our legislature, in its infinite wisdom, passed a law which the governor signed that allows anyone of a certain age (21 I think?) with a concealed carry permit and 8 hours of additional training, to carry a gun anywhere on the campus of a public university, including athletic events.  Under this law the decision is taken away from the schools.  The amendment now under consideration would exempt athletic events from this law, meaning the school can prohibit firearms at athletic events provided they have a satisfactory security plan for the event.
I would think that any satisfactory security plan for a sporting event would begin with a firearms prohibition.

hawgwash

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 30, 2017, 08:53:43 am
High noon.
Ponderin, you are such an intelligent, witty poster I'm not sure if you were being literal here or making a clever Old West gunfight reference.  Is the vote at noon today?

hawgwash

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 30, 2017, 08:58:30 am
I would think that any satisfactory security plan for a sporting event would begin with a firearms prohibition.
No kidding.  What kind of security plan do you need if you do allow firearms???

hawgwash

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 09:01:39 am
It will pass, but it shouldn't.
Are you saying the amendment shouldn't pass, meaning you think concealed weapons should be allowed in the stadium?

PonderinHog

Quote from: hawgwash on March 30, 2017, 08:59:47 am
No kidding.  What kind of security plan do you need if you do allow firearms???
Maybe a life insurance kiosk like they have at airports ???

WoodyHog

The fact that there is even a vote on something as ridiculous as this doesn't cast a good light on our state.  God forbid this thing actually passes.

It is this type of legislation, and the fact that the NRA is pushing it, which really bothers me.  Why can't folks get together and have a reasoned discussion about common sense gun control?  Why does the NRA have to support all of these nonsense proposals?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: PORKULATOR on March 30, 2017, 06:59:14 am
WE DONT NEED GUNS AT SPORTING EVENTS. Its unfathomable that some of you wusses need your hand canon to feel safe while watching the Hogs. Talk about snowflakes.
I can't bring my Canon? How am I supposed to take pictures??

Stephen Greene

more opportunity for fatass John Brummett to pretend he's a higher form of existence

theFlyingHog

Quote from: WoodyHog on March 30, 2017, 09:05:14 am
The fact that there is even a vote on something as ridiculous as this doesn't cast a good light on our state.  God forbid this thing actually passes.

It is this type of legislation, and the fact that the NRA is pushing it, which really bothers me.  Why can't folks get together and have a reasoned discussion about common sense gun control?  Why does the NRA have to support all of these nonsense proposals?
The NRA does it because that is where things have gotten to. Both sides have extreme elements and the NRA sees it as their duty to make sure the right has an extreme group to match the left's

Wooderson

I really don't care what the rest of the country thinks about us.  In fact the more instances in which California and the majority of the northern states disagree with us the better.  However, this is not one of those instances.  Firearms should not be allowed at sporting events.  I also think that each individual university should be allowed to make this decision on their own.  State run universities are no different than state government facilities like courthouses.

I was hoping that since alcohol was served at the games that firearms would not be allowed like a bar.  I don't understand how the UofA can't spin it that way?

Now churches are privately owned.  Should be up to the church.  Is that how it is now?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

hogcard1964

Quote from: hawgwash on March 30, 2017, 09:03:10 am
Are you saying the amendment shouldn't pass, meaning you think concealed weapons should be allowed in the stadium?

Yes, there's not one instance or area where anyone's rights should be limited or infringed.

But that's a discussion we can have on Trump's 100th day in office on the Politics Board on April 29th.

Wooderson

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 09:09:10 am
Yes, there's not one instance or area where anyone's rights should be limited or infringed.

But that's a discussion we can have on Trump's 100th day in office on the Politics Board on April 29th.

Courthouses?

EastexHawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 30, 2017, 08:38:43 am

Texas has far reaching rights for people who hold concealed carry permits.  I haven't noticed the rest of the country avoiding coming here because of our backwards laws.  In fact, I wish a lot of them would stay where they are.  Too many of them have come here already.  They should stay in the North where they have passed the laws and elected the politicians they prefer, and consequently everything is so magnificent.

hogcard1964

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 30, 2017, 09:16:06 am
Texas has far reaching rights for people who hold concealed carry permits.  I haven't noticed the rest of the country avoiding coming here because of our backwards laws.  In fact, I wish a lot of them would stay where they are.  Too many of them have come here already.  They should stay in the North where they have passed the laws and elected the politicians they prefer, and consequently everything is so magnificent.

+1000

Unfortunately, I've lived in some areas in and around Chicago that have had some major over-reaching and unconstitutional laws.

Wooderson

Peter Porker

It was never illegal to CC in Razorback Stadiun before this stuff even came up.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Wooderson

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 30, 2017, 09:21:05 am
It was never illegal to CC in Razorback Stadiun before this stuff even came up.

Correct, it was not illegal.  It was not allowed.

hawgwash

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 09:09:10 am

All I can say is former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia disagrees with you.  Hopefully you can find a team to support somewhere else that will make you feel safer in their stadium.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hogcard1964

Quote from: hawgwash on March 30, 2017, 09:22:59 am
All I can say is former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia disagrees with you.  Hopefully you can find a team to support somewhere else that will make you feel safer in their stadium.

Why wouldn't I "feel safe"?