Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will every college football team feature a running QB in the future?

Started by Bacon_Bitz, March 29, 2017, 11:42:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon_Bitz

jgphillips3

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on March 29, 2017, 11:42:07 am
Is there any going back from this?

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/2/17/14642304/two-developing-worlds-of-spread-option-football-oklahoma-lake-travis-tcu-baylor-baker-mayfield

Also, side note, Arkansas soon-to-be freshman Maleek Barkley is mentioned.

The option was once as pervasive but is almost extinct.  As soon as everyone has running QB's and every defense is built for it, someone will go back to the pro style and it will all start switching again.  Just like with the option, QB's getting hit too often will ultimately lead the game away from them.

ricepig

hogcard1964

Cyclical

teams will switch up, defenses will adjust...

lather, rinse, repeat...

a0ashle

The only thing that might stifle the cycle back to pro style, would be rule changes. Keep an eye out on those, otherwise I agree it will revert back over time.

Inhogswetrust

Of course not. Will we ever see humans on Mars......................probably.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

I would submit that the spread, just plain ole spread was around in the 60s and just before that the single and double wing.  Coaches will keep doing what moves the ball and defenses will keep defending until they stop what used to move the ball.  The circle never stops.  I am old enough to remember when the Power I was hot, the veer was hot, the wishbone was hot, when the 3 RB backfield in some form was an absolute necessity.  I remember when the flanker was important as an option to run, catch or sometimes throw the ball.  I believe right now, college football is ripe for an offense who uses a second player on offense nearly all the time that is likely to throw the ball besides the position filled by the QB.  Defenses get to the QB and hurt him way too often.  Give the D a second worry about that ball going downfield through the air and suddenly that offense gets far better.

East Clintwood

Once the safety rule changes push us fully to touch football, running will become a thing of the past.  It's not that far away.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HogBreath

Quote from: East Clintwood on March 29, 2017, 07:03:49 pm
Once the safety rule changes push us fully to touch football, running will become a thing of the past.  It's not that far away.
Probably going to happen.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

a0ashle

Quote from: 12247 on March 29, 2017, 05:59:43 pm
I would submit that the spread, just plain ole spread was around in the 60s and just before that the single and double wing.  Coaches will keep doing what moves the ball and defenses will keep defending until they stop what used to move the ball.  The circle never stops.  I am old enough to remember when the Power I was hot, the veer was hot, the wishbone was hot, when the 3 RB backfield in some form was an absolute necessity.  I remember when the flanker was important as an option to run, catch or sometimes throw the ball.  I believe right now, college football is ripe for an offense who uses a second player on offense nearly all the time that is likely to throw the ball besides the position filled by the QB.  Defenses get to the QB and hurt him way too often.  Give the D a second worry about that ball going downfield through the air and suddenly that offense gets far better.

Ran a 2 QB offense in flag football. It was highly entertaining and very effective. Unfortunately more bodies in real football makes it harder to pull off.

GoHogs1091

They might be.

As long as the rules continue to give Offense an advantage over Defense, then more and more teams will start using a running QB.

Really the best way for a Defense to prepare for a running QB is for that Defense's own team's Offense to use a running QB.  It means the Defense gets to practice against a running QB during the week of practice leading up to a game.

rlamb

What makes you think all 128 D-1 teams will be able to find a running QB? There aren't that many
6' 3" 230 4.5 QB's out there.  Anything much smaller at that speed and maybe 6'1 190lb QB's will get
hurt because they can't take the physical pounding.