Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bijhon Jackson

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, March 29, 2017, 07:29:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/mar/28/state-hogs-bijhon-jackson-fills-critical-gap/\

There were some concerns about our defensive line, especially in the middle, but it would appear that one of our big guys has stepped up.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Frank Ragnow also seems to have confidence in Jacksons role this season:
"Bijhon has always been a freak. And he's different now. He changed his body. You will see. Quicker than ever. He went on a diet. He's more explosive and this is the perfect defense for that kind of player."
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Last season, hog fans were wondering why our guys couldn't get to the qb or make plays in the offense. We questioned if it was the players or the scheme, apparently it was the latter:

"What we had been doing was all gap control. You held that gap. You couldn't attack. Now, it's attack, aggressive and fast. Now, we are not worried about getting reached. That was always the worry in the front we were playing. Now, you can go after the ball carrier. You can attack."

GoHogzzGo

I often roll my eyes at these body makeover comments we see every off season. Bijhon definitely has the skills to match and plays that key DT position in the 3-4, I hope this is accurate. Can see him crushing OLines all season long.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 29, 2017, 08:27:08 am
I often roll my eyes at these body makeover comments we see every off season. Bijhon definitely has the skills to match and plays that key DT position in the 3-4, I hope this is accurate. Can see him crushing OLines all season long.
Very understandable at this point. We have so many players and even coaches being pumped up by the media each off season that it becomes hard to believe, but for the sake of our defense, I hope this one is true

Biggus Piggus

Nothing is inherently wrong with playing a defense that doesn't try to get into the backfield.

If you're doing it right, gap control defense can work well. On plays that did not involve QB sacks, Colorado was next to last in FBS for frequency of lost-yardage tackles. The Buffaloes ranked 16th for yards allowed per offensive play + 14th for plays per touchdown allowed.

Other gap-control masters included Iowa, North Carolina, Stanford, UCLA, Wisconsin.

Arkansas wasn't doing it right. The Razorbacks were 109th in frequency of lost-yardage plays (ex-sacks), 123rd in yards allowed per play (out of 128), 113th in plays per TD allowed.

The graph depicts yards allowed per play as the independent variable and plays per TD allowed as the dependent variable. Arkansas's numbers converge at the red square on the chart. This illustrates graphically how bad Arkansas's defense was in 2016.

The only defenses that were worse:

Rice (3-9), Texas Tech (5-7), Florida Atlantic (3-9), Arizona State (5-7), Syracuse (4-8).

Nobody's happy on a bad defense. Players naturally are going to feel better working with different coaches. But I'm convinced that in 2015-16 Arkansas's defense was worse than the available personnel. Does not mean they automatically will be better in a different scheme. To some degree, one must ask questions about the leadership failures that allowed a catastrophic failure of the Arkansas defense to happen.

We could just go on like Kliff Kingsbury and Texas Tech. His record is 24-26, 13-23 Big 12. His teams have averaged allowing 40 points per game. FORTY. He still has a job. Just outscore people if you can. But - I hope not.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

By the way - the truly great defenses on that chart:

Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Auburn.
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 29, 2017, 07:34:55 am
Last season, hog fans were wondering why our guys couldn't get to the qb or make plays in the offense. We questioned if it was the players or the scheme, apparently it was the latter:

"What we had been doing was all gap control. You held that gap. You couldn't attack. Now, it's attack, aggressive and fast. Now, we are not worried about getting reached. That was always the worry in the front we were playing. Now, you can go after the ball carrier. You can attack."

If they are being turned loose to aggressively go after the ball carrier it can still result in a form of gap control because you have to play through (or across) an offensive lineman's head/body. If he is attempting to reach block you, you are going to have to play through him to get to the ball carrier and in doing so, controlling your gap to the side that the ball is going to. As a NT, if you are being doubled you either split the double-team or push the double-team into the gap on the side where the ball is going.

It's not gap control in the form where you sit down and protect a gap, it is just a more aggressive "flow to the ball" philosophy which hopefully, eliminates or seals your particular gap of responsibility. We should have been playing a gap defense that way all along.
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 29, 2017, 08:45:48 am
Nothing is inherently wrong with playing a defense that doesn't try to get into the backfield.

If you're doing it right, gap control defense can work well. On plays that did not involve QB sacks, Colorado was next to last in FBS for frequency of lost-yardage tackles. The Buffaloes ranked 16th for yards allowed per offensive play + 14th for plays per touchdown allowed.

Other gap-control masters included Iowa, North Carolina, Stanford, UCLA, Wisconsin.

Arkansas wasn't doing it right. The Razorbacks were 109th in frequency of lost-yardage plays (ex-sacks), 123rd in yards allowed per play (out of 128), 113th in plays per TD allowed.

The graph depicts yards allowed per play as the independent variable and plays per TD allowed as the dependent variable. Arkansas's numbers converge at the red square on the chart. This illustrates graphically how bad Arkansas's defense was in 2016.

The only defenses that were worse:

Rice (3-9), Texas Tech (5-7), Florida Atlantic (3-9), Arizona State (5-7), Syracuse (4-8).

Nobody's happy on a bad defense. Players naturally are going to feel better working with different coaches. But I'm convinced that in 2015-16 Arkansas's defense was worse than the available personnel. Does not mean they automatically will be better in a different scheme. To some degree, one must ask questions about the leadership failures that allowed a catastrophic failure of the Arkansas defense to happen.

We could just go on like Kliff Kingsbury and Texas Tech. His record is 24-26, 13-23 Big 12. His teams have averaged allowing 40 points per game. FORTY. He still has a job. Just outscore people if you can. But - I hope not.
So no SEC teams, correct? What works in other leagues doesn't always translate to the SEC well

zebradynasty

I hope the 3-4 Scheme works and I agree it was past time to try something! However, all our problems on defense were not the result of a poor scheme. We should be better simply because it will hard to get much worse but do not expect a great turnaround UNLESS we stop losing outside containment and tackle better and improve speed in the secondary. Do those things and we will improve statistically and in the most important stat WINS.

hvsupastar

1 thing that seemed like it happened forever was that Corners would bail so deep and give up 8 yard curls all day long.  That changed with Paul Rhodes and lord knows I appreciated that.  So i can't wait to see the product this fall.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: zebradynasty on March 29, 2017, 09:40:19 am
I hope the 3-4 Scheme works and I agree it was past time to try something! However, all our problems on defense were not the result of a poor scheme. We should be better simply because it will hard to get much worse but do not expect a great turnaround UNLESS we stop losing outside containment and tackle better and improve speed in the secondary. Do those things and we will improve statistically and in the most important stat WINS.
We've always had at least a few LB/DB but they usually didn't have the size needed to go along with that speed, not in SEC play anyway. a 3-4 is supposed to allow those guys to make an impact. We'll see how it goes

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 29, 2017, 09:07:08 am
So no SEC teams, correct? What works in other leagues doesn't always translate to the SEC well

We had players who would have been very good in an attacking defense. It's stupid how bad we were. Never should have happened. Players were extremely frustrated, thus the repeated collapses. They let down when we allowed big plays where players viewed the scheme itself as the cause of the failure.
[CENSORED]!

This all comes down to level of talent, how much training, schooling, mental toughness the talent is given.  Its been 4+ years now and about 3 years past reasonable excuses for failures to sort of get it right.  I personally do not expect us to go undefeated, win the SEC or even be in the top 15 years end.  But if I want to see the Keystone Cops, I can likely find them somewhere on TV midweek in the wee hours, not on prime time TV on what is considered a great football weekend.  I hope we present a no give up effort, looking like we have been coached and know what to do.  That alone, will be a huge improvement for our defense.

Kevin

like to hear we are going to attack people, not hold contain and wait on linebackers
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 29, 2017, 07:34:55 am

People should really read this and let it sink in, maybe re post it when season starts and people start complaining about "player A" not quick enough, strong enough, aggressive enough, and all of the other nonsense they post about the different players, WHEN THEY ACTUALLY HAVE NO CLUE AS TO WHETHER THAT PLAYER IS DOING WHAT HE IS COACHED TO DO OR NOT.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 29, 2017, 10:32:23 am

People should really read this and let it sink in, maybe re post it when season starts and people start complaining about "player A" not quick enough, strong enough, aggressive enough, and all of the other nonsense they post about the different players, WHEN THEY ACTUALLY HAVE NO CLUE AS TO WHETHER THAT PLAYER IS DOING WHAT HE IS COACHED TO DO OR NOT.
bingo. +1

zebradynasty

Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 29, 2017, 10:32:23 am

There are clues that people can see in the stands or TV that can be used to determined what the coach is telling the player. Leaving your feet on tackles, taking on blocks with the wrong shoulder, losing outside containment ....NO college coach teaches some of things we were doing on defense. Just my opinion nothing scientific and I am NOT a coach but our problems on defense has been 70% not playing fundamentally sound with little intensity/desire, 20% wrong or lack of personnel and 10% scheme. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: zebradynasty on March 29, 2017, 12:01:38 pm
There are clues that people can see in the stands or TV that can be used to determined what the coach is telling the player. Leaving your feet on tackles, taking on blocks with the wrong shoulder, losing outside containment ....NO college coach teaches some of things we were doing on defense. Just my opinion nothing scientific and I am NOT a coach but our problems on defense has been 70% not playing fundamentally sound with little intensity/desire, 20% wrong or lack of personnel and 10% scheme.
And that is on the coach if his starters are not doing fundamental things correctly halfway through the season

incHOGnito

My favorite thing in that article was Ragnow'a comment about here never being any doubt that the whole team would be on time to meetings.  Seems we have that blue collar mentality that was exemplified by Wisconsin during Bielema's tenure.  Alabama can win as a collection of individuals because of their talent. Arkansas can't, we need a trenches mentality where every man knows that the guys next to him is all in. We must be a TEAM to achieve anything great.

rhames

Quote from: hvsupastar on March 29, 2017, 09:41:50 am
1 thing that seemed like it happened forever was that Corners would bail so deep and give up 8 yard curls all day long.  That changed with Paul Rhodes and lord knows I appreciated that.  So i can't wait to see the product this fall.

You know I saw this from time to time and started making a note to see if other teams do it

And guess what.....other teams do this too mostly when playing spread offenses.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

jgphillips3

We had two major problems last year: 1) poor scheme and, compounding number one, 2) asking players to do things they could not do instead of utilizing them for what they were.

Scheme is just obvious.  We did nothing well.  However, one player that was ripped all year would have been a freaking monster in this system: Brooks Ellis.  Had he been allowed to be a 3-4 MLB and flow to the ball between the tackles, he could have looked all world.  See for reference his play in the 2015 Alabama game: 13 solo tackles, 15 total stops and 2.5 tackles for a loss.  There are plenty more examples of players in the wrong position or wrong assignment.  Too many square pegs in too many round holes.

daBoar

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 29, 2017, 10:16:34 am
We had players who would have been very good in an attacking defense. It's stupid how bad we were. Never should have happened. Players were extremely frustrated, thus the repeated collapses. They let down when we allowed big plays where players viewed the scheme itself as the cause of the failure.
Why did we wait a full two seasons to address the failures? 

LZH

I had serious concerns about our NG....hopefully BJ is our man.

PorkSoda

Quote from: daBoar on March 29, 2017, 07:21:55 pm
yeah, I'm sure they didn't have a single defensive meeting the entire season.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

2013, bad defense, CBB determined that the fit wasn't right/the coach wasn't going to be able to improve the defense any more, and we moved on to a new coach.

2014: That new coach is RS. He comes in and provides a top 10 defense in the process, a defense that absolutely carried the team that year.

2015: We lost every player that was a major player in that 2014 defense. Saban himself wouldn't have been able to make that defense a top 30 one. However, we decided we could sell out to stop the run effectively and actually had a very good run defense, but at the expense of no pressure on the qb and not able to stop the pass.

2016: We return a pretty experienced defense. Have a talented pass rusher. All off season, coaches seem to be gearing up to going back to the aggressive 2014 defense, moving lighter players inside and the such. Then, comes the season and things changed. The whole team didn't do great against LaTech, and our Flowers this year, Wise Jr, broke his hand in the first game of the season. After that, the whole defense lost it's identity. We seemingly prepared to go aggressive, training players in the offseason for that, then last second played the conservative defense of 2015 without the focus on at least doing one thing well.

There was one season where the defense was worse than it really should have been, and that was 2016, and following that season we made changes and are moving forward. 2016 should have been a lot closer to 2014 than 2015 and ended up making 2015 look like a good defense. With the NFL talent on that defense, it should not have happened.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Bielema made comments during this past season (after the auburn game I believe) about having to take over the defense at times because what he wanted wasn't being done. He had to force Rob Smith to start McTelvin Agim (read between the lines in press conferences). The reason Robb Smith is gone is not only because of the defensive performance last season, but because of his stubbornness. Its rumored that he and Segrest didn't work well together either

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: incHOGnito on March 29, 2017, 12:21:44 pmAlabama can win as a collection of individuals because of their talent.

In fairness, I have never seen Nick Satan as coach who would tolerate a "collection of individuals."

EFBAB

Youngsta71701

Quote from: zebradynasty on March 29, 2017, 09:40:19 am
You'll be surprised how much scheme plays a bit part in the scheme of things. If you can stop the ball carrier before he gets going that makes it hard on him and if you can rattle the QB and not let him get comfortable it makes a huge difference as well. I say attack, attack, attack. That don't mean send a bunch of crazy blitzes or anything like that, although you should send some timely ones. That just means the D-line attacks instead of sitting back and letting the O-line attack them.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hawganatic

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 30, 2017, 07:57:32 am
You'll be surprised how much scheme plays a bit part in the scheme of things. If you can stop the ball carrier before he gets going that makes it hard on him and if you can rattle the QB and not let him get comfortable it makes a huge difference as well. I say attack, attack, attack. That don't mean send a bunch of crazy blitzes or anything like that, although you should send some timely ones. That just means the D-line attacks instead of sitting back and letting the O-line attack them.

Getting to the QB is everything.  If he is allowed to sit in the pocket and run his offense, it doesn't matter how good your secondary is, they're gonna get burnt. 

Disrupt at the point of attack and the rest of your defense looks a whole lot better...

PonderinHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 30, 2017, 07:57:32 am
Attackle the football!

Youngsta71701

hogsfan31

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 29, 2017, 12:27:03 pm
We had two major problems last year: 1) poor scheme and, compounding number one, 2) asking players to do things they could not do instead of utilizing them for what they were.

Scheme is just obvious.  We did nothing well.  However, one player that was ripped all year would have been a freaking monster in this system: Brooks Ellis.  Had he been allowed to be a 3-4 MLB and flow to the ball between the tackles, he could have looked all world.  See for reference his play in the 2015 Alabama game: 13 solo tackles, 15 total stops and 2.5 tackles for a loss.  There are plenty more examples of players in the wrong position or wrong assignment.  Too many square pegs in too many round holes.

Yes I agree with this. He was being asked to run sideline to sideline as a LBer and with fast or speedier backs, sometimes he wasn't quick enough to do so. Not his fault, the scheme made him look bad at times. And you're right, Brooks would flourish in this new system and be a monster.

hogsfan31

Quote from: LZH on March 29, 2017, 07:30:14 pm
I had serious concerns about our NG....hopefully BJ is our man.

It is past time for him to have stepped up and be the man. Sounds like he has seen the light and I hope he takes on that role this year and really contributes the way we all know he can.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsfan31 on March 30, 2017, 11:39:02 am
Yes I agree with this. He was being asked to run sideline to sideline as a LBer and with fast or speedier backs, sometimes he wasn't quick enough to do so. Not his fault, the scheme made him look bad at times. And you're right, Brooks would flourish in this new system and be a monster.

Or to spy a speedy QB or somehow get matched up in pass coverage with a WR. Now credit to opposing OC's who schemed to make that happen (coverage of WR's) but we didn't scheme on defense to insure that couldn't occur. As a pure MLB, Ellis was very good, but every player has their limitations.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 30, 2017, 11:44:11 am
Or to spy a speedy QB or somehow get matched up in pass coverage with a WR. Now credit to opposing OC's who schemed to make that happen (coverage of WR's) but we didn't scheme on defense to insure that couldn't occur. As a pure MLB, Ellis was very good, but every player has their limitations.
If all he had to do was stop the run he would have been awesome. He is an old school type MLB in my opinion.

hawgfan4life

Next year, fans will be complaining we are running into the backfield out of control causing huge holes in the LOS.  Gap control doesn't cease to exist whether a player is penetrating and attacking or attempting to anchor at the LOS.  Fans envisioning our DL now running free into the backfield and making a lot of tackles for loss because of the scheme change are misunderstanding what can and should occur.  It isn't like OL coaches will now be faced with penetrating and attacking DL players for the first time ever.  ALL schemes can work when executed correctly and the right personnel are being used in the correct position.  Scheme change may fit us better and acquire better results.  I would expect that is the plan. 

Biggus Piggus

Don't be predictable. It fixes a lot of problems. Last year's defense was eminently predictable. Designed to be.
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 30, 2017, 03:12:08 pm
Don't be predictable. It fixes a lot of problems. Last year's defense was eminently predictable. Designed to be.

Yes, please. If you are going to be a DC at this level of college football it is generally assumed that you are experienced enough and smart enough to understand the value of this for a defense to be even remotely successful.
Go Hogs Go!