Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky Wildcat Basketball Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, December 12, 2016, 10:27:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/886377494751969282

Quote"I wouldn't eliminate them, because (UK coach John Calipari) already told me that he can play with two or three guards out there on the court. He has a good track record. You can see he puts two or three guards out there and they produce and get to the next level quickly. So it's definitely an option to play with another point guard who can facilitate and get me the ball."

In 2015-16, Kentucky played three former 5-star high school point guards —

Grimes knows all this because "I talk to Coach Cal maybe every four days. He called me before he came here to Spartanburg and he called me after I had a good game here. He was just amazed that I put up that many points."

That would be 41 points, to be exact, in a game where he hit 7 of 12 3-pointers on Friday with Kentucky assistant Joel Justus courtside. 6-foot-5 Grimes is ranked by both Scout.com and 247Sports as a point guard —
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/joe_mussatto/status/888546255965741061

QuoteIt was a wild week on the recruiting trail with the nation's top basketball players competing at Nike's Peach Jam and the Adidas Gauntlet Finale.

We saw Zion Williamson in person for the first time last weekend. He isn't the No. 1 prospect in the 2018 class — that's a spot taken by power forward Marvin Bagley — but Williamson is the most electric.

Jerry Meyer: "I get excited watching him, and that is very rare for me. So much of scouting is just mundane work; I go to the gym and really don't get a lot of joy out of it, to be honest, because I do it so much. So it's a huge deal when a guy makes my heart beat a little bit or he gets my adrenaline going or he makes me feel like ... a fan. Zion does that."

Package deal?

That term got tossed around quite a bit at Peach Jam and the Adidas Gauntlet Finale, but Williamson and point guard Immanuel Quickley made it seem like a very real...

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/893163066975813634

QuoteKentucky, Arizona, Texas A&M, Kansas, Marquette, Baylor and Texas.

Woodlands native is the top-ranked player in the Lone Star State.

Kansas is the favorite.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Andrew Slater‏ @ASlater247

Top 5 Matt Hurt'19 @HurtMatthew of @D1Minnesota will visit #Indiana, #Louisville, & #Kentucky from September 28-30th http://247sports.com/Player/Matthew-Hurt-87062 ...

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker‏ @KyleTucker_SEC 5h5 hours ago

New Story || Kansas is a serious threat to steal 5-star sensation Zion Williamson from Kentucky. Here's why:  https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-uk-basketball-recruiting-zion-williamson-kansas-threat

QuoteLEXINGTON, Ky. — It looks like John Calipari and Kentucky are going to be in for a fight to land the services of 5-star sensation Zion Williamson. Bill Self and Kansas have the most muscle to knock the Wildcats out of contention for the 6-foot-7, 250-pound small forward who is ranked as high as No. 1 overall in the Class of 2018 by 247Sports, and now the Jayhawks are starting to flex it.

Andrew Slater, a supremely plugged-in recruiting insider for 247, raised eyebrows this week when he changed his "Crystal Ball" prediction for Williamson from Kentucky to Kansas. The Cats had become favorites to land the slam-dunking YouTube star after he and 5-star point guard Immanuel Quickley (a heavy UK lean) openly discussed their desire to play together in college.

Not so fast, Slater tells SEC Country.

"I think Kansas makes sense," he said, "from the perspective of his relationship with [5-star point guard] Devon Dotson, who may wind up [committing to Kansas] fairly soon, his strong connection to Adidas [Williamson plays on that shoe-company's AAU circuit] and Kansas' ability to showcase players like him, as they did with Josh Jackson [No. 4 overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft]. He also has a strong relationship with Bill Self."

Now, for a few key pieces of background information: ...

jbcarol

While the door for Williamson and Quickley to potentially team up at Kentucky is still open, Kansas is emerging as a strong contender.

Quote"I think Kansas makes sense," 247Slater told Tucker, "from the perspective of his relationship with [5-star point guard] Devon Dotson, who may wind up [committing to Kansas] fairly soon, his strong connection to Adidas [Williamson plays on that shoe company's AAU circuit] and Kansas' ability to showcase players like him, as they did with Josh Jackson [No. 4 overall pick in 2017 NBA Draft]. He also has a strong relationship with Bill Self."

jbcarol

Ben Roberts‏ @BenRobertsHL Aug 10

Which 2018 basketball prospects are most likely to commit to UK? We asked 5 top recruiting analysts...  http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article166587727.html

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker‏ @KyleTucker_SEC Aug 11

I see UK signing a 5-star PG, SF and PF in 2018, plus 1-2 surprises. Putting on the prognosticator hat here:

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-basketball-uk-recruiting-predicting-2018-class

Quote2017-18 season hasn't even started and there's already buzz about Kentucky basketball fielding another "super team" for 2018-19. That's because the Wildcats don't have many obvious one-and-dones on the current roster, and they're in great shape with a few elite recruits in the Class of 2018.

John Calipari likely won't sign a huge class, numbers-wise, but he should end up with three or four stars who'll turbo-charge expectations for next season.

Best guess: point guard Immanuel Quickley, power forward Simi Shittu and at least one (maybe two) of the nation's top three small forwards — Zion Williamson, R.J. Barrett and Cam Reddish —

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN

Marvin Bagley III will announce college decision tomorrow tonight on the 11 pm. @SportsCenter. Where will he go -- and will he reclassify?
3:41 PM - 13 Aug 2017

Kyle Tucker‏ @KyleTucker_SEC 9h9 hours ago

Kyle Tucker Retweeted Jeff Goodman

Not Kentucky.

jbcarol

Kentucky Basketball Recruiting: Will 5-star PG Immanuel Quickley be Cats' first 2018 pledge?

Quote6-foot-3 Maryland native ranked as the No. 3 player at his position and No. 9 prospect overall by Scout.com, Quickley will take official visits on the first three weekends of September — to Kansas, Miami and Kentucky, in that order — and then "sit down with me and his family and make a decision," Jide Sodipo, one of his closest advisors, told SEC Country. "I expect him to make a decision in September."

Quickley declared the Cats his leader earlier this summer and nothing has happened to change that.

"In recruiting, anything can happen, but I do believe Kentucky is the leader," said Sodipo, executive director of Team BBC, Quickley's Adidas-sponsored AAU squad. "His family likes Kentucky and being coached by Calipari with USA Basketball gave him a chance that most kids don't get, to really be coached by someone that's recruiting him."

Quickley spent three weeks practicing and playing for the Wildcats coach on the U.S. Under-19 World Cup team that took bronze in Egypt...

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker‏ @KyleTucker_SEC

Does it matter Shittu doesn't have a UK offer? Calipari told him, "We would take your commitment right now."

QuoteTwo 5-star Canadian basketball recruits narrowed their list of college options this week and Kentucky made the cut for for both R.J. Barrett and Simi Shittu, the No. 1 and No. 9 overall prospects in the Class of 2018. Wildcats are in Barrett's final five and Shittu's top 10.

The question, though, is whether coach John Calipari is the favorite to land either of them.

Evan Daniels: "They're definitely in the mix" for Barrett, who is also still considering Arizona, Duke, Michigan and Oregon. "In terms of favorites on that list, I think it's kind of early, but Arizona and Duke have done a really good job of recruiting him. I'd hate to say there are favorites, but if I was going to guess, I'd say those two are maybe out front right now. There's a long way to go, though, and he's in the process of setting up visits. I think those are coming very soon, and the recruitment will really take shape from there."

jbcarol

Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels

2018 five-star wing Keldon Johnson took an unofficial visit to Kentucky today, per a source.

Kyle Tucker Retweeted Evan Daniels

And reportedly got an offer. That's a bit of a surprise, but he's a really good player. Wrote about him here: https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-recruiting-uk-keldon-johnson-waiting-calipari ...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Last week, not long after No. 1 basketball recruit Marvin Bagley announced his commitment to Duke and a move to the class of 2017, all of the major recruiting services moved the Blue Devils' stellar recruiting class ahead of Kentucky's, declaring Mike Krzyzewski's latest haul to be the best in the country.

Rivals.com, Scout.com, ESPN and 247Sports all agreed that Duke achieved the No. 1 class ranking with the addition of Bagley, but another recruiting metric — one based primarily on those websites' rankings — still has the Cats in the top spot.

Jeff Crume, who manages the Recruiting Services Consensus Index website and has been tallying composite recruiting rankings for 20 years, reached out to the Herald-Leader to point out that the RSCI numbers say Kentucky's class remains No. 1, even after the inclusion of Bagley.

QuoteFor the class of 2017, the RSCI took rankings from Rivals.com, Scout.com, ESPN, 247Sports and longtime recruiting analyst Van Coleman. The website looks at the Top 100 rankings from each of those recruiting services, assigns a point value to each recruit based on his overall consensus ranking, then adds the totals for all players in a class for the team's final score.

Bagley, as the No. 1 recruit in the country, earns 100 points for Duke. Missouri freshman Michael Porter Jr. earns 99 points as the No. 2 recruit, and so on down the list.

As always, recruiting rankings should be taken for what they are, and even Crume points out on his website that: "RSCI is pronounced 'risky,' because drawing definitive conclusion from any such rankings is, indeed, risky at best."

But these RSCI rankings are an interesting counter to the major recruiting websites' conclusions, which use their own algorithms to come up with their class rankings.

UK's class doesn't have quite the star power of Duke's — the Blue Devils' group includes three top-seven prospects —

jbcarol

jbcarol

SEC Country Kentucky‏ @SECCountryUK 12h12 hours ago

Nation's No. 4 prospect Cam Reddish announces his college decision http://sec.news/2wuRcbc   #BBN

QuoteReddish picked Duke over a variety of powerhouse programs, including Kentucky. Reddish is the No. 4 prospect in the country, but the No. 3 small forward in the class.

Now there is even more pressure on the Wildcats to land either Zion Williamson, the internet dunking sensation who is the No. 2 player in the 2018 class, or R.J. Barrett, the No. 1 player in the class and who helped knock off Calipari's team in the U-19 tournament. The Canadian phenom is visiting Kentucky this weekend.

Wildcats do not have a commit yet in their 2018 class.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kentucky basketball has extended a scholarship offer to 2019 No. 1 overall player James Wiseman

QuoteWiseman is ESPN's No. 1 recruit in the 2019 class. 247 Composite, Scout and Rivals all have Wiseman ranked No. 2 in the country.

Kentucky is currently without a commit in its 2019 class.

Wiseman, a 6-foot-11 power forward from Memphis, already holds offers from Kansas, North Carolina, Indiana and several other top programs.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell 8h8 hours ago

Kentucky offers 2018 PF Jaxson Hayes

http://www.scout.com/Player/Jaxson-Hayes-46047457

Moeller kid

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

One UK target is committing today, a 5-star is visiting Lexington this weekend and the buzz on No. 1 R.J. Barrett:

QuoteBarrett hasn't officially announced a top-3 list, but reports from this week indicate that Arizona and Michigan have been eliminated from the race.

Quentin Grimes, one of Kentucky's top targets in the 2018 class, is taking his official visit to Kentucky this weekend.

Hayes chose Tejas

jbcarol

Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello 3h3 hours ago

Jeff Borzello Retweeted Rj Barrett

No. 1 prospect R.J. Barrett announces his final three of Duke, Oregon and Kentucky. Michigan and Arizona were eliminated earlier this week.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

Kentucky Basketball Recruiting: 5-star Bol Bol and his mom want some answers from John Calipari

QuoteWhen 5-star big man Bol Bol takes his official visit to the University of Kentucky next weekend for the Big Blue Madness extravaganza, it'll take more than a laser-light show to sway him.

Bol wants an explanation from coach John Calipari about why he cut the 7-foot-3 son of Manute Bol from USA Basketball's under-19 team this summer.

"He's kind of a little sad with Kentucky," his mother Ajok told SEC Country on Wednesday night. "The coach promise him — like really promise him — that he's going to be picked to go to Egypt [for the FIBA World Cup]. And then it did not happen. He was really sad about that. I could see he was sad. [Calipari] never explained what happened."

jbcarol

SEC Country Kentucky‏ @SECCountryUK 14h14 hours ago

Kentucky mailbag: What are chances of flipping Shareef O'Neal from Arizona? http://sec.news/2koMUjg   #BBN

QuoteAndrew Slater of 247Sports recently changed his Crystal Ball prediction for O'Neal to Kentucky. There is buzz that O'Neal will visit Lexington for Big Blue Madness, which certainly would help Kentucky's chances. There will be several elite recruits on campus that night, per usual, and it's the most impressive show UK can put on for a prospect.

O'Neal, a 6-foot-9 forward from Los Angeles, is ranked as the 33rd-best player in the Class of 2018 by the 247Sports composite. He is an AAU teammate and friend of 5-star center Bol Bol, another UK target expected to attend Madness.

It also helps that there is some upheaval and uncertainty at Arizona with one of its assistants snared in the FBI investigation rocking college basketball. Oh, and there's that little fact that O'Neal said before he committed to Zona that his famous dad, Shaq, wanted him to player [sic] for John Calipari and the Cats.

jbcarol

This photo is a reminder that Bol Bol is freakishly long: 7-3 with 7-8 wingspan. And catch up on Cats crootin:

QuoteBol Bol

SEC Country's Kyle Tucker reported Wednesday night that the 5-star power forward is still upset with John Calipari for cutting him from Team USA's U-19 squad before it made the trip to Egypt this summer to compete in the FIBA World Cup.

Tucker spoke with Bol Bol's mother, Ajok.

"He's kind of a little sad with Kentucky," Ajok told SEC Country. "The coach promise him — like really promise him — that he's going to be picked to go to Egypt [for the FIBA World Cup]. And then it did not happen. He was really sad about that. I could see he was sad. [Calipari] never explained what happened."

Bol is the No. 3 prospect in the 2018 class, according to 247Sports composite rankings. He's listed at 7-foot-1 and 225 pounds.

Kentucky is still a frontrunner for Bol despite the Team USA snub. SEC Country learned that Oregon and Kentucky are the top two contenders to land Bol.
R.J. Barrett

R.J. Barrett, the No. 1 prospect in the 2018 class, plans to announce his college decision on Nov. 10.

"I don't know where I'm going yet," Barrett wrote in his blog for USA Today. "I just set the date because I want to get it over with before the season starts and that should be enough time to come up with the right decision."

Barrett has three finalists: Kentucky, Duke and Oregon.

Shareef O'Neal

Shareef O'Neal is still committed to Arizona, yet six crystal ball predictions have O'Neal heading to Kentucky.

jbcarol

Immanuel Quickley — the Cats' lone pledge so far for the class of 2018 — will get an opportunity to recruit on Calipari's behalf

QuoteQuickley — a 6-foot-3 point guard from Maryland — is one of 54 high school players expected to be at the USA Basketball junior national team minicamp in Colorado Springs. The camp is set for Saturday and Sunday.
ADVERTISING

Joining Quickley at the minicamp will be fellow class of 2018 stars Bol Bol, Darius Garland, Quentin Grimes, Keldon Johnson, Romeo Langford and Zion Williamson —

jbcarol

I asked Cats about elephant in the room: Why would 5-stars go to UK for free when others are paying?

QuoteHamidou Diallo laughed, leaned back in his chair and pointed to the ring of posters on the walls of the Wildcats' practice gym. Most of the 31 players picked in the NBA draft during coach John Calipari's first eight seasons are on those posters — which are oversized trading cards —

Teammate Sacha Killeya-Jones, another of the nine former 5-star recruits on Kentucky's 2017-18 roster, nodded in agreement, pointing also to the eight national championship banners hanging on another wall of the practice gym. He added that more than 20,000 people, many of whom camped out for days to get tickets, will be in Rupp Arena on Friday night for Big Blue Madness.

All of that "is why we came here," Killeya-Jones said. "It's nothing like it in the country."

Point guard Quade Green, one of the five McDonald's All-Americans who signed with the Wildcats in their latest No. 1-ranked recruiting class, thinks it is funny that critics can't understand why players would turn down cash payments elsewhere to play for the top NBA prep school...

jbcarol

Zion Williamson was in Lexington two weekends ago for his official visit with Kentucky, and the 5-star phenom ranked the trip an 8 out of 10, according to his blog on USA Today Sports

QuoteWilliamson's visit started Friday when he had breakfast with Kentucky coach John Calipari at his hotel, then the two met with an academic adviser.

"We toured the facility and I really liked getting the chance to watch the team practice," Williamson wrote. "The thing that stuck out to me was that everything is built around going hard all the time. With so many freshmen out there, Coach Cal was showing them that they have to play hard every possession."

The internet dunk sensation attended Big Blue Madness later that night and said the player introductions were his favorite part. And one special guest stood out to him.

"Of course everyone knows that Drake was there and it was dope!" Williamson wrote. "That's my guy!"

Williamson wasn't allowed to talk to Drake because of NCAA rules, but the two have a prior relationship...

Williamson went to a horse race on that Saturday, watched two Kentucky practices and then he and his family sat down with Calipari to talk about how he'd fit in [briefly] at Kentucky.

5-star forward visited Duke this past weekend, and he also gave that trip an 8 out of 10.

jbcarol

4-star SG Tyler Herro gets offer from Wildcats

QuoteCalipari watched 4-star shooting guard Tyler Herro work out on Tuesday, and apparently the Kentucky coach liked what he saw. Herro was offered a scholarship.

Herro de-committed from Wisconsin on Oct. 17. Herro is the No. 4 shooting guard in the 2018 class and the 36th-ranked overall prospect in the class, according to 247Sports composite rankings. The Milwaukee, Wisc., native is 6-foot-5 and 195 pounds.

Kentucky is currently the favorite to land Herro, according to the 247Sports crystal ball. Oregon, Kansas, Butler, Villanova and Arizona are the other schools in contention.

Wildcats are also considered the favorite for 5-star Keldon Johnson, another shooting guard in the 2018 class.

jbcarol

Kentucky Basketball Recruiting: Evan Daniels breaks down Cats' chances with remaining 2018 targets

QuoteWildcats have one commitment, from 5-star point guard Immanuel Quickley, and feel good about their chances with 5-star shooting guard Keldon Johnson. The situation is a little murkier with 5-star small forward Zion Williamson —

jbcarol

Matt Jones‏ @KySportsRadio
17h17 hours ago

Keldon Johnson is a GREAT pickup for UK and Calipari...5 Star Shooting Guard who can do it all.  Will be a star here

Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello
17h17 hours ago

John Calipari now has two five-star prospects in the fold in 2018, with Keldon Johnson joining Immanuel Quickley.

jbcarol

Kentucky Basketball Recruiting: 5-star Bol Bol explains picking Oregon over Cats

QuoteBENTON, Ky. — Bol Bol, 5-star 2018 recruit and son of former NBA player [the late] Manute Bol, picked Oregon over Kentucky. Bol was cut from John Calipari's U-19 Team USA squad this summer, a move that didn't do Kentucky any favors in his recruitment.

Bol was asked if his cutting was a factor in his decision to pick Oregon over Kentucky.

"Not really. It didn't really bother me," Bol said. "I still wonder why he cut me, but I'll never know."

Bol said everyone thinks he's still mad at Calipari, but he said that's not the case.

Bol visited Kentucky for Big Blue Madness in October, but he didn't get clarity on Calipari's decision to cut him from Team USA. Bol said they never talked about it.

"I feel like (Calipari) kinda avoided that whole situation," Bol said.

7-foot-3 center and one of the top prospects in the 2018 class led Findlay Prep to a win Friday night at the Marshall County Hoopfest.

He likes shoes and humanitarian work in Sudan in which his late father was engaged.  Did not mention Dana Altman.

jbcarol

Is there a developing 'state of Kentucky problem' in UK's major sports recruiting?

2017-18 UK men's basketball roster does not have a recruited scholarship player from the commonwealth for what appears to be the first time ever.

QuoteSince John Calipari became Kentucky head coach in 2009, the Wildcats have signed 55 players. Of those, 40 have been five-star prospects as ranked by Rivals and 13 have been four-star players.

So the hard truth is the state of Kentucky does not produce many players talented enough to play at UK.

Still, last season, the only two three-star prospects Calipari has signed at UK — in-state products Derek Willis (Bullitt East) and Dominique Hawkins (Madison Central) — were vital contributors as seniors for a UK team that reached the NCAA Tournament round of eight.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN

This Kentucky team really missing a high-level point guard who could just make plays (for himself and others) and also bail the team out at end of shot clock.

Trae Young chose Oklahoma over Kentucky and Kansas. Big part of reason he didn't pick UK was because they already had taken Quade Green.

jbcarol

Kentucky Basketball Recruiting: 5-star Zion Williamson 'could very well have duped us all'

Quote5-star small forward from Spartanburg, S.C., a 6-foot-6, 275-pound athletic freak, will reveal his choice at 8 p.m. Saturday, just minutes before Kentucky hosts Florida at Rupp Arena. Wildcats fans hope the timing is some kind of sign that John Calipari and Co. are about to pull off another recruiting stunner.

All signs point to no, as 91 percent of the predictions by recruiting analysts on 247Sports' Crystal Ball are for Clemson.