Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best opportunity in years!

Started by RacinRazorback, March 13, 2018, 07:27:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RacinRazorback

Personally I think we should have had the 6 seed in Dallas over the Detroit draw, but we didn't. So with that being said, It looks like a favorable draw for us. We should dispose of Butler and have a legit shot over the boilermakers. I could see a sweet 16 run being probable this year. If our good team shows up we will make some noise in the tourney! We are pretty well being dissed by everyone. Hopefully Macon and the rest of the team make people RESPECT them! Go Hawgs! WPS!!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: RacinRazorback on March 13, 2018, 07:27:33 am
Personally I think we should have had the 6 seed in Dallas over the Detroit draw, but we didn't. So with that being said, It looks like a favorable draw for us. We should dispose of Butler and have a legit shot over the boilermakers. I could see a sweet 16 run being probable this year. If our good team shows up we will make some noise in the tourney! We are pretty well being dissed by everyone. Hopefully Macon and the rest of the team make people RESPECT them! Go Hawgs! WPS!!
dispose? They are favored, I just want to get out with a win there!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Atlhogfan1

Just a guess, but the committee may not have put us in Dallas as the 6th seed in order to protect TT as the 3 seed as far as the R32 crowd. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

razorback1829

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 13, 2018, 09:21:42 am
Just a guess, but the committee may not have put us in Dallas as the 6th seed in order to protect TT as the 3 seed as far as the R32 crowd.

That would be weak.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 13, 2018, 09:34:33 am
That would be weak.
I don't think they care much about protecting 3/6 matchups. Heck, look at a potential 50/50 fan split for Purdue/Butler in Detroit. I think 7 is fair, given where metrics ended up at the end of the season. We were propped up all season by our RPI, which ended up at 30, which about fits a 7 seed. Man, it would've been nice to play in Dallas, but let's just use that as motivation for next year and beyond.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

GuvHog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 13, 2018, 07:49:25 am
dispose? They are favored, I just want to get out with a win there!

Butler is only favored because they are a name college basketball program with a storied history. This year though, they have a new head coach and finished middle of the pack (9-9) in a conference that is weaker than the SEC.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

steveaustin69

Quote from: GuvHog on March 13, 2018, 09:40:40 am
Butler is only favored because they are a name college basketball program with a storied history. This year though, they have a new head coach and finished middle of the pack (9-9) in a conference that is weaker than the SEC.

Analytics don't care about your name.

hogsanity

We are pretty well being dissed by everyone.

Really? The very 1st thing the guy on the selection said was he was picking the Hogs to beat Purdue and go to the sweet 16.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on March 13, 2018, 09:40:40 am
Butler is only favored because they are a name college basketball program with a storied history.

What are you talking about? A name program? Other than a 2 or 3 year run close to a decade ago with Stevens as their HC they have been a decent AT BEST mid major until they joined the Big East and they have been avg at best since doing that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RacinRazorback

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2018, 09:49:18 am
Really? The very 1st thing the guy on the selection said was he was picking the Hogs to beat Purdue and go to the sweet 16.

One of the few! I have watched numerous bracket pickems and we are hardle an afterthought to most with Butler getting the win! How is a 10 seed favored to win over a 7 seed anyway! I think we will dispose of, as in beat, Butler and have a legit shot at beating the Boilermakers! WPS!!

311Hog

Butler is a good team with a couple really good players.  This will be a very competitive game IMHO.  If Macon and Barford come out hot its game over though.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: RacinRazorback on March 13, 2018, 09:56:04 am
One of the few! I have watched numerous bracket pickems and we are hardle an afterthought to most with Butler getting the win! How is a 10 seed favored to win over a 7 seed anyway! I think we will dispose of, as in beat, Butler and have a legit shot at beating the Boilermakers! WPS!!

Do you pick all of the higher seeds to win?  We know that doesn't happen.  People are looking for lower seeds who are most likely to win.  Out of the 7-10s, I like Providence to move on as a 10. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hoggish1

Of all the 7 seeds Detroit gives us the best chance to get to the round of 16 and beyond.  This is good luck!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on March 13, 2018, 09:50:51 am
What are you talking about? A name program? Other than a 2 or 3 year run close to a decade ago with Stevens as their HC they have been a decent AT BEST mid major until they joined the Big East and they have been avg at best since doing that.

Since you were replying to Guv that should have been a hint to your first sentence....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

code red

Our success depends on how the refs choose to call the game.  There is no doubt they could call a foul on us every defensive stand.  Which scares me. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: code red on March 13, 2018, 10:34:57 am
Our success depends on how the refs choose to call the game.  There is no doubt they could call a foul on us every defensive stand.  Which scares me.
they let them play in the NCAA tourney mostly, SEC refs are way worse
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

99toLife

Quote from: code red on March 13, 2018, 10:34:57 am

You mean by the rules?

liljo

We just have to somehow get by Butler first. That's absolutely all that matters with this team right now.

As a fan, I can't help but look ahead to Purdue and their two 7-footers. One of 'em is listed as a 7-3 forward who can SHOOT THE THREE...I watched some videos and they really can put a big lineup on the floor.

Butler has some good size on their team as well, with a couple of 6-6 guards to go with 6-8, 6-10, and 6-11 guys.

It's going to be interesting to see if the Hogs can utilize their team speed in this regional.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

NaturalStateReb

Butler will be a tough out, but Purdue will be an even tougher out.  I think Arkansas is as good as either Florida or Taco Tech right now, but getting to the second weekend is going to be tough.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

010HogFan

Quote from: liljo on March 13, 2018, 03:51:34 pm
We just have to somehow get by Butler first. That's absolutely all that matters with this team right now.

As a fan, I can't help but look ahead to Purdue and their two 7-footers. One of 'em is listed as a 7-3 forward who can SHOOT THE THREE...I watched some videos and they really can put a big lineup on the floor.

Butler has some good size on their team as well, with a couple of 6-6 guards to go with 6-8, 6-10, and 6-11 guys.

It's going to be interesting to see if the Hogs can utilize their team speed in this regional.

I watched some Purdue film too and Michigan carved them up. They are good and Carsen Edwards is a nice guard, but man are they slooooow. We would beat them off the dribble at will.

Pumbaa

Many had this team dead in the water after a stumble at the beginning of SEC play. This same group of guys proved so many wrong and grabbed themselves a 7 seed. One could even argue they even deserved a 6 seed. Glad they never threw in the towel and I for one and proud of them. I'm behind Mike and his boys 100%. Hope they bring their A game to Detroit and if they do there's a chance they will be packing their bags for a second weekend of play. Woo Pig!

hogfan870

I really think that the one thing that matters most is if we shoot the three well (particularly Macon, who struggled in the SEC tournament, and CJ Jones hitting a couple off the bench is huge also).  We still have to play defense, but if we can hit 3s, I see us making the Sweet 16.