Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hire Miles, let him bring back Chavis and Keep Enos?

Started by WOOPIGMAN, September 26, 2017, 02:32:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WOOPIGMAN

Roaringboar

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on September 26, 2017, 02:32:51 pm
?

I'm down with that, but I don't see Miles keeping Enos, and honestly, it's Enos' offense that is shooting us in the foot right now. I read a story the other day that was talking about how Arkansas isn't the same run program we were the first couple of years in the Bilema era, and they're right. We like to pass the ball around way too much, and we don't have a very strong power run game like we did with J-Will and Collins in the backfield.
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

WOOPIGMAN

Good point, but a lot of Miles offenses were so predictable, he would have to get a creative OC, that can produce qb's to be successful here

lstewart

That change should be good for 6 or 7 wins per year.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 26, 2017, 02:35:37 pm
I'm down with that, but I don't see Miles keeping Enos, and honestly, it's Enos' offense that is shooting us in the foot right now. I read a story the other day that was talking about how Arkansas isn't the same run program we were the first couple of years in the Bilema era, and they're right. We like to pass the ball around way too much, and we don't have a very strong power run game like we did with J-Will and Collins in the backfield.
have you looked at our season stats?

121 Rushes vs 72 passes (38 completions 53%)

we are and have been and will continue to be a rushing team.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

WOOPIGMAN

I think 8 or 9 sometimes 10. Put a stipulation in where he has to bring back Chavis, hire TCU'S oc or Clemson co OC or OK states OC if they have one besides Gundy. We can pay our associates lets do that and let him recruit.

GunnerHawg70

Pipe dreams but not gonna happen.  CBB will not be going anywhere unless the Hogs go 0-fer in the SEC or not make a bowl game.  Plus missed out on Phil Fulmer when he was pissed and ready to exact revenge on the entire SEC after Tenner let him go.  But alas it's good conversation and I can literally copy and paste my other post about hiring The Mad Hatter...I think the overall consensus was a resounding NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... ;)

WOOPIGMAN

Yeah, thinking about these possibilities make me happy compared to the current product we have.

The Hawg Marshal

Miles would not be an upgrade. Might as well stay with Bret if Miles is the best we can do.

code red

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 26, 2017, 02:40:49 pm
Pipe dreams but not gonna happen.  CBB will not be going anywhere unless the Hogs go 0-fer in the SEC or not make a bowl game.  Plus missed out on Phil Fulmer when he was pissed and ready to exact revenge on the entire SEC after Tenner let him go.  But alas it's good conversation and I can literally copy and paste my other post about hiring The Mad Hatter...I think the overall consensus was a resounding NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... ;)
Well Id bet my house we don't make a bowl game.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

WOOPIGMAN

I truly think there is such thing as being an SEC coach. Les Miles is an SEC coach, that's an upgrade, and I think he won a natty

Roaringboar

Quote from: lstewart on September 26, 2017, 02:38:02 pm
That change should be good for 6 or 7 wins per year.

That's just a joke. At LSU Miles won 8-10 games a year. LSU fired him because they wanted to be in the championship every year, and the problem is that to get to the playoff you have to go through 'Bama, and let's face it, that ain't happening. I don't think anyone can be Bama right now excpet perhaps Georgia, and that's a very slim chance. very, Very, VERY slim chance....Miles did excellent at LSU, but his problem was they pushed him to win 12-14 games a year. That's like asking an NFL team to go 16-0 every other year or so. It just doesn't happen. People expected to much of him. If he came here he could get us back to 8-9 wins a year within three years easy, and maybe even get us back to the Petrino type 10-2, 11-1 season we miss. Bilema can't even get us to 8, and apparently doesn't know how to win in the SEC. That's all the message board is anymore.....Bilema supporters making excuses.....

code red

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on September 26, 2017, 02:42:43 pm
Miles would not be an upgrade. Might as well stay with Bret if Miles is the best we can do.
Can Miles recruit....yes....yes he can. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Roaringboar

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 26, 2017, 02:38:58 pm
have you looked at our season stats?

121 Rushes vs 72 passes (38 completions 53%)

we are and have been and will continue to be a rushing team.

Game ended on an interception saturday.........that's another cool stat.....

code red

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on September 26, 2017, 02:44:20 pm
I truly think there is such thing as being an SEC coach. Les Miles is an SEC coach, that's an upgrade, and I think he won a natty
Les Miles is head and shoulders above CBB.  Folks around here that say otherwise are kidding themselves.  So, while you are correct, it will be scoffed at.

Hogwild

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 26, 2017, 02:35:37 pm

We scored 43 points and lost, that's not on the offense.

Miles paired with Chavis and Enos would be an interesting combination.  A quarterback, a grass eater, & an Indian chief.

WOOPIGMAN

That's just a joke. At LSU Miles won 8-10 games a year. LSU fired him because they wanted to be in the championship every year, and the problem is that to get to the playoff you have to go through 'Bama, and let's face it, that ain't happening. I don't think anyone can be Bama right now excpet perhaps Georgia, and that's a very slim chance. very, Very, VERY slim chance....Miles did excellent at LSU, but his problem was they pushed him to win 12-14 games a year. That's like asking an NFL team to go 16-0 every other year or so. It just doesn't happen. People expected to much of him. If he came here he could get us back to 8-9 wins a year within three years easy, and maybe even get us back to the Petrino type 10-2, 11-1 season we miss. Bilema can't even get us to 8, and apparently doesn't know how to win in the SEC. That's all the message board is anymore.....Bilema supporters making excuses.....

This is amazing!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 26, 2017, 02:46:22 pm
Game ended on an interception saturday.........that's another cool stat.....
so we suck at passing?  yeah I agree.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on September 26, 2017, 02:42:16 pm
Yeah, thinking about these possibilities make me happy compared to the current product we have.

I can't disagree with ya there unfortunately.  It's mind boggling that the current staff can't get over the hump of the now infamous "2nd half woes"...1st half has been all Hogs then it just goes to sheeeet. They need that I got you down now I'm gonna put my foot on your throat and keep being aggressive instead of conservative play calling with a lead...smh

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: code red on September 26, 2017, 02:44:39 pm
Can Miles recruit....yes....yes he can. 
He could recruit at LSU. Not the same as Arkansas. Louisiana kids are dying to go to LSU , do you really think they'd want to come to Arkansas just because Miles was here?

WOOPIGMAN

Yeah, that's what Bielema doesn't have. Who is that guy at Arkansas?

Roaringboar

Quote from: Hogwild on September 26, 2017, 02:46:55 pm
We scored 43 points and lost, that's not on the offense.

Miles paired with Chavis and Enos would be an interesting combination.  A quarterback, a grass eater, & an Indian chief.

We scored 43 points against a dreadful Texas A&M Team.....Oh and we also only scored 7 points against TCu......and had alot of poor 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2 outings where we couldn't even convert.....with our run game......We are now a power football team right now, especially with this weak offensive line.....

Roaringboar

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 26, 2017, 02:48:04 pm
so we suck at passing?  yeah I agree.

It's not just that we suck, but we keep trying to make that a big focus of our offense. It's not consistent and, like I said, it's not a key component of a power run system. I'm not saying you don't pass, but we rely too much on the pass game, and our run game is not producing like it should. This will be evident against LSU, Miss State, and, without a doubt, against Alabama. Our dream of being a "Power Football Team" just isn't realistic anymore. We don't have big bruising backs who are powering through the opposing D-Lines anymore like we once had.

ShadowHawg

Miles got fired for intentionally deemphasizing the qb position. By doing so he wasted elite level talent that should have won him at least one more championship.

LSU screwed up hiring his replacement though.

Next1_04

Or support/ or not the coach we have until he is no longer the coach? He isn't going anywhere this year unless we lose every remaining game, even still, he will probably still be here. I personally can't find the point of even discussing something that wont even plausibly happen until the end of next season. That's just me.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on September 26, 2017, 02:47:04 pm

This is amazing!

Dude I'll be honest with ya, there aren't many CBB supporters left making excuses on any message board that I've seen. The screwed up part is the guy wants to win at Arkansas just hasn't figured out the right combination to make it happen and after 5 seasons, the players (especially) and fans deserve more or at least be in position to make a legitimate run at something...One thing that I concur with you on is if Hogs could get 8-9 wins consistently we wouldn't be having these talks because that's only two games away from greatness. Arkansas has always been that once in a blue moon team that will make a serious run for one or two seasons then it's back to drawing board or fire the coach talk. 

WOOPIGMAN

LOSERS/LETS LOSE/LETS LET ALL THE OTHER PROGRAMS HIRE ALL THE AVAILABLE COACHES THEN LETS MAKE ANOTHER BAD/MEDIOCRE HIRE, JUST LIKE THE STATE/PEOPLE WE ARE

WOOPIGMAN

GO ALL IN AND HIRE KELLY/GUNDY/STRONG SOMEONE LIKE THAT RIGHT NOW!!!! WIN, WIN ITS POSSIBLE!!!

Roaringboar

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 26, 2017, 02:58:49 pm
Miles got fired for intentionally deemphasizing the qb position. By doing so he wasted elite level talent that should have won him at least one more championship.

LSU screwed up hiring his replacement though.

That was because there were too many fans wanting him to simply replicate Alabama. I mean, until Lane Kiffin came to Alabama, their passing game was mostly irrelevant. I mean, they could pass of course, but it was their run game and defense winning them national titles. Miles wanted to focus on running a team similar to Alabama because his fan base was too unrealistic, just like Bilema supporters who say, "Oh give him another 4 years paying him 4 million a year to win maybe 6 games a year and he'll get better."

Miles was a great coach, but they demanded too much, and those last couple of poor years were him trying to grasp at straws because he knew what the fans were expecting.

Wildhog

Miles would be worse than Bielema at Arkansas.  It would be a catastrophic hire.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

WOOPIGMAN

This was in his first 3 years, before that they were a 5 win program

Miles returned to Oklahoma State in 2001 as the head coach. In the three years prior to Miles's arrival in Stillwater, the Cowboys finished 5–6, 5–6, and 3–8. Oklahoma State posted another losing record (4–7) in Miles's first season at the helm, but subsequently achieved winning records during each of the following three seasons – 8–5, 9–4, and 7–5, respectively. His last three seasons at Oklahoma State ended in invitations to the Houston, Cotton, and Alamo Bowls, respectively.

During the last game of Miles's first season as head coach, Oklahoma State faced #4 Oklahoma. Despite the fact that Oklahoma State was facing Oklahoma on the road, Miles led his team to a 16–13 upset victory over the Sooners.

During Miles's second season, Oklahoma State again ended the regular season with a game against #3 Oklahoma. Yet again, Miles led his team to a 38–28 upset victory over the Sooners. As a result of his team's performance during his second year, Miles was named the Big 12 Conference Coach of the Year by the Associated Press in 2002.

He would get us there

Roaringboar

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 03:04:12 pm
Miles would be worse than Bielema at Arkansas.  It would be a catastrophic hire.

Oh yeah, hiring a guy who could recruit top ten recruiting classes every year, finish in the top 25 every year, and go to two national championships (winning one remind you) is such a horrible hire.......Wow......That does sound horrible when I say it aloud.........

WOOPIGMAN

PorkSoda

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 26, 2017, 02:56:44 pm
It's not just that we suck, but we keep trying to make that a big focus of our offense. It's not consistent and, like I said, it's not a key component of a power run system. I'm not saying you don't pass, but we rely too much on the pass game, and our run game is not producing like it should. This will be evident against LSU, Miss State, and, without a doubt, against Alabama. Our dream of being a "Power Football Team" just isn't realistic anymore. We don't have big bruising backs who are powering through the opposing D-Lines anymore like we once had.
I do think we are going through an identity crisis of sorts.  I liked Enos's play calling at TAMU for the most part.  looked like CBB actually let him open up the play book.

the thing about being a run team is that it takes commitment to the run even if its not working initially.  I remember back in the Cedric Cobbs / Matt Jones era against Texas we ran the ball every play for 2 series, culminating in a naked bootleg by matt jones for like 50 yards to the 2 yard line.

That is commitment.  now I don't expect us to replicate that to that extreme, but the premise is that running to set up the play action.  unfortunately we often give up on the run too early, and don't establish it forcing them to stack the box.  if they aren't stacking the box, then they are playing the pass, and we aren't good enough to pass in those situations.

so on one hand, if we are going to lose, I'd like to at least see us commit to a strategy win/lose/draw.

but on the other hand, if we want to win we are going to have to learn how to pass effectively so that we aren't one dimensional.

that takes live game reps.  we are stuck in a catch 22 because we aren't particularly good at anything.

so all we can do at this point is hope they get something figured out.  we looked as good as we ever have against TAMU, but unfortunately that was the most winnable conference game on our schedule and we lost.  at this point we need a late season surge if we hope to make a bowl.

Roaringboar

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 03:04:12 pm

Of 11 LSU teams he coached, 9 finished in the top 20........9/11.......82%.....wow.....This guy really is just BAD......Way to go LSU on spotting that...........

WOOPIGMAN

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Roaringboar

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 03:12:13 pm
Comparing Arkansas to LSU.

El oh el

Who's comparing.....I'm just saying that is evidence of what he was able to do with LSU.......I mean, I'm a Razorback fan who wants what is best for the program. I'm sorry if the current coaching adminstration has so many fans thinking we're worst than A-State.......

WOOPIGMAN

WildHog, weak man behind computer. We are simply saying Miles, would win 7-9 games a year and sometimes 10. Not  6 or 7 every year, and only 8 because of a weak bowl game against KSTATE.

Wildhog

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 26, 2017, 03:13:46 pm
Who's comparing.....I'm just saying that is evidence of what he was able to do with LSU.......I mean, I'm a Razorback fan who wants what is best for the program. I'm sorry if the current coaching adminstration has so many fans thinking we're worst than A-State.......

We can do better than Miles.  He's a good coach.  He's just not good enough to win big at Arkansas.  Hell, he struggled against Bielema, with FAR superior talent.
1909/1964/1965/1977

DLUXHOG

No thanks...(Hogs are 2-2 over last 4 games... don't think Miles has the magic needed)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Wildhog

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on September 26, 2017, 03:14:27 pm
WildHog, weak man behind computer. We are simply saying Miles, would win 7-9 games a year and sometimes 10. Not  6 or 7 every year, and only 8 because of a weak bowl game against KSTATE.

What a strange person.
1909/1964/1965/1977

WOOPIGMAN

I think people underestimate his ability though, and with assistant stipulations built into the contract making him hire great qb'oc coordinators and getting Chavis back and having him focus on CEO and recruiting??

WOOPIGMAN

Sorry, didn't mean to hurt your feelings.. We can pay our assistants, let's do it and let the great coordinators use his great players through recruiting to make him a great head coach

Roaringboar

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 03:15:40 pm
We can do better than Miles.  He's a good coach.  He's just not good enough to win big at Arkansas.  Hell, he struggled against Bielema, with FAR superior talent.

Who can we realisticly get who's better right now.......who knows the SEC.....Who knows the region.....who has the solid results.......OH, I know, let's go for Nick Saban......He's got plenty of reason to leave Bama......

That's the mindset of everyone when we say "Let's get Miles." Everyone says "But he wasn't good." When he got fired, even though people knew it was coming, everyone was for the most part just dumb-founded that LSU could be so stupid. And it was LSU's fault. Rather than Letting Miles run things his way, they wanted to become Alabama's Purple and Gold twin. Miles is no Saban, but until he was fired he was considered the #2 coach in the SEC, and a top ten coach nationally......

GunnerHawg70

Ok, I'm just gonna not "quote" anyone because it's getting a little hostile but here goes nothing.  A Les Miles hiring if CBB got fired or resigned would be huge news nationally and would shake the foundation of CFB...It would definitely generate a ton of buzz around the program and the direction it would be going in - trending upwards right?!?! So, now the Les Miles era starts and doesn't produce "FAN" expectations within 3 seasons, would all y'all be calling for his head and say it's the worst hire ever and fire the AD (again)??? This will continue to be a contentious sticky situation because of some of you are demanding a change while others are hoping CBB and staff can turn this thing around (quickly I might add).

Bottom line - The Hogs play NMST Saturday with the current players and coaching staff.  All this pipe dream talk of change is not gonna happen by Saturday so I will just hope the Hogs come out and put a "2" in the win column heading into the meat of the SEC.  Now Y'all go ahead and play nice on HV...LOL

WOOPIGMAN

The Razorbacks are 7-20 against ranked teams since Bielema has been the coach, including 6-19 against SEC teams 1-2 against nonconference teams.

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

WOOPIGMAN

DLUXHOG

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on September 26, 2017, 03:39:25 pm
The Razorbacks are 7-20 against ranked teams since Bielema has been the coach, including 6-19 against SEC teams 1-2 against nonconference teams.

Ooooooooo..... you're the "statman".   Thanks....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)