Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QB question.....FROM A FEW WEEKS BACK??? Please Help ME ....this time!

Started by Razorfreak2, October 10, 2010, 08:07:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorfreak2

Are we putting to much stock in the arm?...I think RM has the greatest arm in the nation...period. An he will be in the NFL, After this season. Which leaves us with a position to fill. Here is the part that stings..........I AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH HIS MOBILITY........I AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH HIS DECISION MAKING.......I remember at the first of the season us talking about "ALL" the time we are now going to be giving our BACK- UP QB............NO one other than RM has taken a snap. He will be GONE after this year. One more loss and you start playing a " BACK UP " some..... I just cant see it any other way......IS he mentally, physically and that much more of an emotional leader that anyone else that could take direct snaps?????????????

31to6

His terrible A&M game:
310 yards
71.1% efficiency
160 passer rating
3:1 td in ratio

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

EastexHawg

If we are...I'm sure there are about 105-110 other major college programs and coaching staffs who would also like to "put too much stock in the arm."

Mallett is one of the top players in college football today.  Everyone around the country seems to agree on that.  We are 4-1, ranked in the top 12 or 13, and one more Alabama loss away from controlling our own destiny for the SEC title...and possibly even a shot at the BCS championship game if everything fell just right. 

I have no idea why so many of our fans are already focusing so much on next year.

Kerfhog64

I am a Texarkana guy so this stings me to say this, but Mallet has digressed somewhat.  He is not mobile, but Mobile enough for a pocket QB; he sometimes makes bad decisions and doesn't really see the field as well as he should.   How do you miss Jarius Wright wide open and throw to a covered Adams when Wright is ten yards away?  And his big arm is over-rated.   And he checks off too much....that is probably a coaching thing, but this leads to some of our false starts.  Sometimes I think you just run the dive play and come back for second down.  It seems we were first and fifteen all day long.  Peyton Manning does this every play but he ain't Manning.

razorsharptusk

I think Ryan is a great QB.  He is what he is and that is a drop back passer.  He is not a runner. He's not going to be a runner.  The coaches knew from day one he is not a "mobile" qb.  As Dan Marino put it, when asked why he never tucked the ball much to run out of pressure situations, "They don't pay me to run the football". 

What bothers Ryan is pressure.  As Ryan gets hit, and the more he gets hit, or even thinks he is going to get hit, his decision making appears to get hasty. As I'm sure it would any QB that doesn't have the ability to run out of bad situations.  A running QB always has that option in his mind that he can tuck the ball and run.  However, that also has it's drawbacks as sometimes the decision to give up on the play and run is made to quickly.

I heard BP say that Ryan needs to start doing what he is coached to do.  Stand in the pocket and deliver the football.  So some of it appears to be that Ryan is still learning, as good as he is, he is still developing.  Unfortunately the defenses we are going to face the rest of the year are going to bring the house at Ryan and we've yet to truly show that we can handle it and get out of it.  I think our offense next year looks very different than this year.  I hope Mitchell is maturing and ready.  And if it is Wilson, I hope we run both QB's as they bring different things to the table.

One can't argue as to how many plays Newton has "made" for Auburn when the play would have been dropped for a loss in the back field.  Sometimes you just have to make plays with your feet.
GO HOGS!!

hogfan x

Quote from: 31to6 on October 10, 2010, 10:40:19 pm
His terrible A&M game:
310 yards
71.1% efficiency
160 passer rating
3:1 td in ratio

This is what amazes me. How many D1 teams would love to have a QB with this kind of "bad game" ?
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." - Lou Holtz, Arkansas

k.c.hawg

Hell if we are on our way to a 10-2 season and an upper tier bowl we might as well start grooming a QB for next year.....Broadway will be  gone so we should start sitting him and let Winston work his problems out so he will be ready next year.....DeMarcus Love a Sr better sit him some and start grooming for next year....any of our JR's that might declare for the draft.....sit em and start getting reps for guys for next year. WTH? Ryan Mallet is the QB for this team....his back-up will get reps when he can't go....until then I guess the other guys will have to get reps in practice to get ready for their turn......if we win some games by 45 maybe back-ups will get snaps. I can't think of one series in the Georgia game, the Alabama game or the A$M game when any coach of sound mind would have thought hummmm I think I'll run my back-up QB out there and get him ready for next [CENSORED] year.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Coach Obvious

Quote from: hogfan x on October 11, 2010, 08:18:42 am
This is what amazes me. How many D1 teams would love to have a QB with this kind of "bad game" ?

Most of them.

HF#1

Quote from: Razorfreak2 on October 10, 2010, 08:07:05 pm
Are we putting to much stock in the arm?...I think RM has the greatest arm in the nation...period. An he will be in the NFL, After this season. Which leaves us with a position to fill. Here is the part that stings..........I AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH HIS MOBILITY........I AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH HIS DECISION MAKING.......I remember at the first of the season us talking about "ALL" the time we are now going to be giving our BACK- UP QB............NO one other than RM has taken a snap. He will be GONE after this year. One more loss and you start playing a " BACK UP " some..... I just cant see it any other way......IS he mentally, physically and that much more of an emotional leader that anyone else that could take direct snaps?????????????

It was rediculous before and still is.  He's the best qb that gives us the best chance to win right now.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

TeedupHigh

It's amazing!  What do you people want!  We lose and and some of you complain, win and it's the same damn thing!  I would like to sit in a room with the Coaching staff and read some of this $hit to them just to hear their comments and the response that it would get!  I bet our staff would jump at the chance to change jobs with some of you dipsticks but they can't because they are not as smart as you are.  It must really suck to be in RM's position, qb for the HOGS and soon to be a very, very rich #1 draft choice. He is such a dumba$$, poor decisions, can't read a D, throws to the wrong guy, and now it seems when he does the guy can't catch the ball.......Drops are all on RM, throws to hard for our guys?  Man if old Brett could just learn to throttle back he might make it in the NFL.

jj202020

He's got the best arm since Ryan Leaf.

Leaf had a cannon, too and had a great college career.

Great QB's make the defense pay when they bring extra men.  They don't get rattled, their eyes light up, knowing there's gonna be someone one-on-one.

HotlantaHog

The ONLY legitimate knock on Mallett I have seen is he has not been able to lead the Hogs to win the big games, especially on the road.

He can change that at Auburn, at South Carolina and at home vs. LSU this year.

HF#1

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 11, 2010, 09:58:19 am
The ONLY legitimate knock on Mallett I have seen is he has not been able to lead the Hogs to win the big games, especially on the road.

He can change that at Auburn, at South Carolina and at home vs. LSU this year.

The game we just won was a road game.  Not quite the big stage but big enough in my mind.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: Razorfreak2 on October 10, 2010, 08:07:05 pm

And where do you propose we put our stock into?

A running game that is struggling?

A redshirt freshman QB with no meaningful game experience?

A redshirt sophmore QB with very little meaningful game experience who has struggled the few times he has played?

We are who we are.  And that right now is a team that lives and dies on Mallett's arm, our reciever's abilities, and our defense.

HF#1

Quote from: LSPRazorbac on October 11, 2010, 10:06:03 am
And where do you propose we put our stock into?

A running game that is struggling?

A redshirt freshman QB with no meaningful game experience?

A redshirt sophmore QB with very little meaningful game experience who has struggled the few times he has played?

We are who we are.  And that right now is a team that lives and dies on Mallett's arm, our reciever's abilities, and our defense.

I really do think they could ride Kniles Davis all the way to the SECCG if they would commit to it.