Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roger Bannister, first runner to break 4-minute mile, dies at 88

Started by jbcarol, March 04, 2018, 01:34:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

oldfart

not football related but sports world lost an icon with the death of Roger Bannister. broke the myth of the four minute mile. i remember watching the big race between Bannnister and John Landy in Vancouver in the Commonwealth Games. my dad put the stopwatch on them and both came in under four minutes. considering the state of tracks in those days it is even more impressive

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: oldfart on March 04, 2018, 06:29:41 pm
not football related but sports world lost an icon with the death of Roger Bannister. broke the myth of the four minute mile. i remember watching the big race between Bannnister and John Landy in Vancouver in the Commonwealth Games. my dad put the stopwatch on them and both came in under four minutes. considering the state of tracks in those days it is even more impressive

ESPN reports on his passing.

On a windy late afternoon in Oxford on May 6, 1954, Bannister ran four laps on a cinder track in three minutes 59.4 seconds to crack the mythical 4-minute mile -- a feat many had thought humanly impossible. A few months later in 1954, Bannister beat Australian rival John Landy in the "Miracle Mile" or "Mile of the Century" at the Empire Games in Vancouver, British Columbia, as both men ran under four minutes.

Bannister then gave up running to pursue a long and distinguished medical career.

http://www.espn.com/athletics/story/_/id/22642120/sir-roger-bannister-dies-lord-sebastian-coe-steve-cram-lead-tributes-athlete-broke-four-minute-mile
Go Hogs Go!

ballz2thewall

man, he set to bar, no doubt.
The rest of the frog.

oldfart

i recall our track coach mentioning records that would probably never be broken including the 4 min mile a 7 ft high jump and a 17 ft pole vault. didnt take much longer till all were broken but of course took a new approch to the high jump and the fiberglass pole. bannisters breakthrough was sheer effort

EastexHawg

Yes, Bannister was a true legend.  I remember a book of sports greats that I had as a kid, and I specifically remember the picture and story of Bannister.

Speaking of running the mile, has there ever been a more remarkable high school athlete than Jim Ryun, putting up the incredible times he did as a teenager?

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteSpeaking of running the mile, has there ever been a more remarkable high school athlete than Jim Ryun, putting up the incredible times he did as a teenager?

I don't know,

maybe the high-schooler that shattered Ryun's mile record?

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

HognitiveDissonance

Breaking the 4 minute mile could be considered analogous to climbing Mt Everest for the first time.

Huge breakthrough.

ICEman

Quote from: oldfart on March 04, 2018, 08:11:59 pm
i recall our track coach mentioning records that would probably never be broken including the 4 min mile a 7 ft high jump and a 17 ft pole vault. didnt take much longer till all were broken but of course took a new approch to the high jump and the fiberglass pole. bannisters breakthrough was sheer effort
New asymptotic barriers appear to be the sub 19 sec 200 m, 30' long jump (though Carl Lewis once exceeded 30', estimated, on a very slight foul) and the sub 2 hr Marathon (not even multiple pace setters and über highTech shoes could take this one down).
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

welchog

March 05, 2018, 07:51:43 am #9 Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:15:44 am by welchog
Quote from: ICEman on March 04, 2018, 11:56:40 pm
New asymptotic barriers appear to be the sub 19 sec 200 m, 30' long jump (though Carl Lewis once exceeded 30', estimated, on a very slight foul) and the sub 2 hr Marathon (not even multiple pace setters and über highTech shoes could take this one down).
I believe the 2 hr marathon will fall in my lifetime.

As far as Bannister, he is a legend that will be remembered for all time.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: oldfart on March 04, 2018, 08:11:59 pm

My Dad said they were told the same thing in the early 1960's and Bannister was considered a freak of nature.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pigsknuckles

At 48 years of age, and in probably the best condition I had been in since high school, I ran a popular local mile road race in 5:30. Cannot begin to conceive sub four minutes, though I have watched it done several times.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

oldfart

its all the more amazing to me having run on the cinder tracks typical of that time to imagine doing it under 4 min

pigtrino

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_better_stronger

The people that concern themselves with the passing of Sir Roger Bannister and the limitations of cinder tracks will enjoy the he!! out of this talk.

PORKULATOR

He was a dentist I think as well. Very accomplished person. RIP Mr Bannister
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

pigtrino

welchog

Quote from: pigtrino on March 05, 2018, 09:24:25 pm
https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_better_stronger

The people that concern themselves with the passing of Sir Roger Bannister and the limitations of cinder tracks will enjoy the he!! out of this talk.

Thanks for that.  Great information.

oldfart

very interesting talk and put a lot of things in perspective. one thing that i have observed in my lifetime is the emphasis on weight training in many sports. in football for example up until the 70s it was thought that weight training was not good as it would make the players "muscle bound" and 220 lb (or smaller) linemen were common.  a 300 lb lineman was considered a freak.

also it reminded me of how we spent time learning how to dig a proper foothold in the track for the 100 yd dash :-)

welchog

Quote from: oldfart on March 07, 2018, 07:57:37 am
very interesting talk and put a lot of things in perspective. one thing that i have observed in my lifetime is the emphasis on weight training in many sports. in football for example up until the 70s it was thought that weight training was not good as it would make the players "muscle bound" and 220 lb (or smaller) linemen were common.  a 300 lb lineman was considered a freak.

also it reminded me of how we spent time learning how to dig a proper foothold in the track for the 100 yd dash :-)

Same thing with basketball.  Myth was lifting would throw off your shot.  Terrible advice.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: pigtrino on March 05, 2018, 09:24:25 pm

Thanks. Enjoyed that. I have to wonder, in the midst of the current golf controversy over golf ball liveliness, how the equipment, and course technology of today would have affected the game of Nicklaus, Palmer, Hagen, Nelson, etc.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 05, 2018, 09:08:09 am
At 48 years of age, and in probably the best condition I had been in since high school, I ran a popular local mile road race in 5:30. Cannot begin to conceive sub four minutes, though I have watched it done several times.

Several years ago, at least 10-15 probably, a South African runner participating in the Boston Marathon, threw in a sub 4-minute mile at about the 15 mile mark just to separate himself from the pack. 

There's some amazing athletes out there....
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

oldfart

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 07, 2018, 08:49:02 am
Thanks. Enjoyed that. I have to wonder, in the midst of the current golf controversy over golf ball liveliness, how the equipment, and course technology of today would have affected the game of Nicklaus, Palmer, Hagen, Nelson, etc.
. just imagining sam snead with that fantastic swing of his with modern balls and clubs

welchog

Quote from: oldfart on March 07, 2018, 06:17:56 pm
. just imagining sam snead with that fantastic swing of his with modern balls and clubs

Jack Nicklaus set the long drive skills competition record during the PGA Championship in 1963 at 23 years old at 341 yards when "hitting it on the screws" was not a metaphor.  Just think how far he could have cranked it with today's technology.

oldfart

Quote from: welchog on March 08, 2018, 04:55:01 pm
Jack Nicklaus set the long drive skills competition record during the PGA Championship in 1963 at 23 years old at 341 yards when "hitting it on the screws" was not a metaphor.  Just think how far he could have cranked it with today's technology.

now they hit 3 woods 300 yards