Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog QBs Pressured in 2nd Spring Scrimmage

Started by Mike Irwin, April 15, 2017, 10:22:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorsharptusk

I'm glad they are seeing this pressure in practice.  Allen's numbers were down, obviously he is learning to deal with this pressure that teams have beaten us with in the past.  This defense will be a good change for the Hogs against other teams. But it will help our qb to learn how to deal with what's coming.
GO HOGS!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: razorsharptusk on April 16, 2017, 12:57:25 pm
I'm glad they are seeing this pressure in practice.  Allen's numbers were down, obviously he is learning to deal with this pressure that teams have beaten us with in the past.  This defense will be a good change for the Hogs against other teams. But it will help our qb to learn how to deal with what's coming.
Agree. Pretty tough to judge either the OL or the overall defense up until yesterday. Not being able to actively rush/pressure or being able to stunt or do some of the more elaborate schemes on defense makes it extremely difficult to get a real sense of what we have (or not) on both sides of the ball. Hopefully we'll have some very strong competition and performances on BOTH sides of the ball to show that all aspects of the team are improved and ready to step up play this coming season.

nchogg

In last years scrimmage we really never heard much about QB pressure from the defense. We did see Austin get beat up last year. I hope this is an indication we have a viable pass rush this year which also teaches a QB how to adjust to it. It was tough for Austin to learn it on the fly.  :razorback:

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nchogg on April 16, 2017, 03:55:48 pm
In last years scrimmage we really never heard much about QB pressure from the defense. We did see Austin get beat up last year. I hope this is an indication we have a viable pass rush this year which also teaches a QB how to adjust to it. It was tough for Austin to learn it on the fly.  :razorback:

Realistic practice (where the defense doesn't always have their hands tied behind their back) is good for everyone on offense, including the O-Line. Would we prefer for the O-Line to see their first multiple stunts and rush/blitz packages in the first few games? As an OC that would be the last thing that I would want. Now certainly you have to have instances where there is less pressure so you can get timing down, but beyond that you need to see as many stunts/pressures as possible. It only serves to identify weak spots and make corrections prior to facing the season schedule.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 16, 2017, 05:17:22 pm
Realistic practice (where the defense doesn't always have their hands tied behind their back) is good for everyone on offense, including the O-Line. Would we prefer for the O-Line to see their first multiple stunts and rush/blitz packages in the first few games? As an OC that would be the last thing that I would want. Now certainly you have to have instances where there is less pressure so you can get timing down, but beyond that you need to see as many stunts/pressures as possible. It only serves to identify weak spots and make corrections prior to facing the season schedule.
Some very good points you bring up. Yep, if we have weaknesses (on either side of the ball) we had better expose them now while we have plenty of times to work and hopefully correct.

bennyl08

Quote from: nchogg on April 16, 2017, 03:55:48 pm

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/hogs-hold-second-scrimmage/

Last year, there were 7 sacks in the 2nd scrimmage of the spring.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Mike Irwin

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 16, 2017, 06:40:21 pm
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/hogs-hold-second-scrimmage/

Last year, there were 7 sacks in the 2nd scrimmage of the spring.
Sacks in spring scrimmages are whistle blown by the refs. The numbers don't mean much because in some cases the QB would have escaped in a real game. Also it's typical for the backup QBs to draw more whistle blown sacks than the starter. So without knowing which QBs got sacked and how many times, making a comparison between last year's second scrimmage and this one is meaningless.

Having watched Saturday's scrimmage I can tell you that the pressures I saw were different from anything I saw last year in the spring or in games in the fall. Bielema referred to it as "multiplicity." Four and in some cases five defenders were going after the QB. As for the offense he referred to those guys as being "unarmed" which I thought was a good description.

It must be noted that Frank Ragnow continued to be withheld from scrimmaging so that certainly made some difference in pass blocking. Also the O-Line and the QBs seemed to adjust to the various pressures late in the scrimmage. 

I thought it was significant that at one point Austin Allen got buried under a pass rush and Bielema seemed unconcerned. You can tell he understands how important this 3-4 defense is in turning things around next season. He wasn't about to curb their enthusiasm.

bennyl08

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 17, 2017, 02:46:42 pm
Sacks in spring scrimmages are whistle blown by the refs. The numbers don't mean much because in some cases the QB would have escaped in a real game. Also it's typical for the backup QBs to draw more whistle blown sacks than the starter. So without knowing which QBs got sacked and how many times, making a comparison between last year's second scrimmage and this one is meaningless.

Having watched Saturday's scrimmage I can tell you that the pressures I saw were different from anything I saw last year in the spring or in games in the fall. Bielema referred to it as "multiplicity." Four and in some cases five defenders were going after the QB. As for the offense he referred to those guys as being "unarmed" which I thought was a good description.

It must be noted that Frank Ragnow continued to be withheld from scrimmaging so that certainly made some difference in pass blocking. Also the O-Line and the QBs seemed to adjust to the various pressures late in the scrimmage. 

I thought it was significant that at one point Austin Allen got buried under a pass rush and Bielema seemed unconcerned. You can tell he understands how important this 3-4 defense is in turning things around next season. He wasn't about to curb their enthusiasm.

My point was that it is silly to say that "we really never heard much" about qb pressure last year in the scrimmages when Wise Jr was having to be held out of the scrimmages because the offense literally struggled to do anything when he was on the field.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

I like the fact that the defense put the pressure on. First, they need the encouragement and attitude. Second, if the offense has problems protecting the QB and picking up multiple stunts, blitzes and directional pressures (and the QB's ability to read those as much as possible in pre-snap), it is better that we identify that now and get it addressed before the season. Don't you agree?
Go Hogs Go!

nchogg

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2017, 02:59:42 pm
My point was that it is silly to say that "we really never heard much" about qb pressure last year in the scrimmages when Wise Jr was having to be held out of the scrimmages because the offense literally struggled to do anything when he was on the field.
I know you have to be right about everything. Yes we did get some hype about the defense last spring but more on offense. When it came to game time then everyone complained about the defense in most games and about the offense not finishing. I won't get involved in the hype. The fact is look at AA completions during the scrimmage. Way down. The pressure is good to help him improve which he did not have last year until the season started. Don't say Austin did not get a little gun shy last year because he got the hell beat out of him. If everyone on offense has their blocking assignments down I hope to see less sacks on Austin.

bennyl08

Quote from: nchogg on April 17, 2017, 05:35:51 pm
I know you have to be right about everything. Yes we did get some hype about the defense last spring but more on offense. When it came to game time then everyone complained about the defense in most games and about the offense not finishing. I won't get involved in the hype. The fact is look at AA completions during the scrimmage. Way down. The pressure is good to help him improve which he did not have last year until the season started. Don't say Austin did not get a little gun shy last year because he got the hell beat out of him. If everyone on offense has their blocking assignments down I hope to see less sacks on Austin.

I've been proven wrong many times on this site and always admit when I am wrong. If I'm right all the time, that doesn't leave room to grow and that would be boring.

Ex-Trumpet

So, are we to be excited about the defense or worried about the o-line?  Or both?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

jkstock04

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on April 17, 2017, 05:53:51 pm
So, are we to be excited about the defense or worried about the o-line?  Or both?
Anxious may be a better word for it...for both. To myself those are the biggest question marks. Special teams always something to think about as well.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

razorsharptusk

It seemed to me that we did not know how to handle many pressures and blitzing last year. Be it the Oline, or Allen not eeeing it enough in practice to identify it. I think letting the defense loose, at times, will help both sides of the ball.
GO HOGS!!

bennyl08

Well, the OL was not great as pass protecting last year. They started off having Austin be the most pressured qb in the country (admittedly after going against what are probably going to be 2 of the top 5 picks in the draft as pass rushers) and improved greatly as the year went on from being the worst to just being okay. I expect that improvement to continue on into the spring. Diagnosis: The DL getting pressure doesn't mean we will be great at getting pressure in the season as we likely do not have a great pass blocking OL (especially with Ragnow being held out). However, it isn't something to completely brush off either as the OL improved throughout the season and has likely improved a bit more since then as well.

On the flip side, Ramsey demonstrated some natural pass rushing talent last year against some good OT's. Taylor was very good in JUCO before coming here. Agim also has demonstrated SEC explosiveness in real games last year. So it isn't like our OL is going against chum either.

In short, I'd say that our DL getting pressure against our OL doesn't mean that we should expect the same amount of pressure to be had vs say Bama. Similarly, given our front 7, we shouldn't expect to be giving up that much pressure to say a Texas St either. Any further diagnosis would really require seeing things first hand.

For example, if you know what to look for, you can watch an intersquad scrimmage and make non-relative conclusions. In general, and OL not giving up pressure could mean a good OL or just a bad DL. However, if you are seeing very good power, explosion, quickness, and technique from the DL and the OL still isn't giving up pressure, then you can conclude that both units are very good. If the OL is giving up pressure and the DL isn't having to work extremely hard to get it, then it's hard to say anything other than its a bad OL.

bennyl08

Quote from: razorsharptusk on April 17, 2017, 06:23:58 pm
It seemed to me that we did not know how to handle many pressures and blitzing last year. Be it the Oline, or Allen not eeeing it enough in practice to identify it. I think letting the defense loose, at times, will help both sides of the ball.

A lot of that is inexperience. OL not having seen it before and missing who to block. QB being a first year starter and not being able to spot things on the defense only adds to it.

ChitownHawg

I simply want to say it is good having you back posting on here. I take it you are now full of vinegar again and the illness is in your rearview mirror.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 17, 2017, 06:01:47 pm
Anxious may be a better word for it...for both. To myself those are the biggest question marks. Special teams always something to think about as well.

Anxious with a dollop of excitement! Woo! Pig!!!

;D ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Mike Irwin

April 17, 2017, 09:22:56 pm #19 Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:46:39 pm by Mike Irwin
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 17, 2017, 04:40:30 pm
I like the fact that the defense put the pressure on. First, they need the encouragement and attitude. Second, if the offense has problems protecting the QB and picking up multiple stunts, blitzes and directional pressures (and the QB's ability to read those as much as possible in pre-snap), it is better that we identify that now and get it addressed before the season. Don't you agree?
Yes.

BTW this wasn't the first time the offense had faced those blitzes. Bielema said the defense first tried the various pressures out the previous Thursday. The question is, which will get better? The defense that is using it or the offense that is trying to adjust to it?

We probably won't know this spring. Practices are closed this week and Saturday Bielema seemed to indicate that the fans won't see a lot of blitzing in the Red-White game. He doesn't want other SEC coaches to see that stuff.

bennyl08

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 17, 2017, 09:22:56 pm
Yes.

BTW this wasn't the first time the offense had faced whose blitzes. Bielema said the defense first tried the various pressures out the previous Thursday. The question is, which will get better? The defense that is using it or the offense that is trying to adjust to it?

We probably won't know this spring. Practices are closed this week and Saturday Bielema seemed to indicate that the fans won't see a lot of blitzing in the Red-White game. He doesn't want other SEC coaches to see that stuff.

I'd hope both. OL gets more experience in stressful assignments and knowing who to block further decreasing their likelihood of missing assignments next season.

Defense gets to not only practice the blitzes and such, but ideally will be going against an OL this spring that will actually execute their assignments rather than getting free passes in practice and will have to earn the pressure.

Iron sharpens iron.

nchogg

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2017, 07:00:03 pm
A lot of that is inexperience. OL not having seen it before and missing who to block. QB being a first year starter and not being able to spot things on the defense only adds to it.
You're right about that. When a TE, OL and or RB miss their blocking assignments which happened quite a few times it creates havoc for Austin. During spring and fall practice and all the hype that comes with it which I do enjoy and hope for the best. Been a fan for 50 years and seen a lot of Razorback football. Posters probably think the nc in nchogg means National Championship  when actually it meant North Carolina and now that I live in Florida I will stick with the NC. It's fun with a neighbor whom is an avid bama fan and he complains that they win too much and should have lost certain games and he says he's worried when they play us which is a fun day and we throw woo pig and roll tide back and forth until the game.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: nchogg on April 18, 2017, 08:29:14 am
You're right about that. When a TE, OL and or RB miss their blocking assignments which happened quite a few times it creates havoc for Austin. During spring and fall practice and all the hype that comes with it which I do enjoy and hope for the best. Been a fan for 50 years and seen a lot of Razorback football. Posters probably think the nc in nchogg means National Championship  when actually it meant North Carolina and now that I live in Florida I will stick with the NC. It's fun with a neighbor whom is an avid bama fan and he complains that they win too much and should have lost certain games and he says he's worried when they play us which is a fun day and we throw woo pig and roll tide back and forth until the game.

I don't recall which game but an announcer said BA's ability to slide in the pocket or run helped keep the sacks down. Also, he said BA's ability to make the play action look like a run was helping it be very effective.

I am sure AA will catch on and help the Oline look better. I base this on his history of outperforming his brother at other levels.

HF#1

If they are getting pressure, it's because Austin and the O-line has never seen what they are running. There will be an adjustment period during the season too. I wouldn't be surprised if this defense looks all world the first 3 games and declines slowly from there.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bennyl08

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 18, 2017, 11:20:18 am
I don't recall which game but an announcer said BA's ability to slide in the pocket or run helped keep the sacks down. Also, he said BA's ability to make the play action look like a run was helping it be very effective.

I am sure AA will catch on and help the Oline look better. I base this on his history of outperforming his brother at other levels.

Austin is very good at moving in the pocket as well. He is just more keen to hold onto the ball a bit longer as well as the assignment errors.

2013 35 qbh 8 sacks 301 attempts 7.2 dropbacks/pressure
2014 54 14 359 5.5
2015 30 14 374 8.8
2016 61 35 406 4.6
*Note, total pressure = qbh + sacks as you can have a sack and tally no qb hurries (see scoota last season). Dropbacks = pass attempts + sacks. While positive gains could have initially been a drop back, they are ignored.

Pressures are about the OL/rb's and the time they are asked to hold on to their blocks. Sacks vs pressure is all about the QB, save for assignment errors where he is hit as soon as he gets the ball. Otherwise, it's all about how long the qb holds onto the ball. BA his first year didn't appear to have must trust in his arm or his receivers so there is a low sack to pressure ratio. He hung in there more in '14 and had more pressures as a result. In '15, he was a savvy qb now and was actually able to get the ball out quickly while simultaneously trusting himself and his receivers. Austin has a lot of trust in his arm and his receivers ability to get the ball. Among a ton of pressure, he sat there until he was able to throw the pass or take the sack and wasn't one to throw the ball away.

MuskogeeHogFan

April 18, 2017, 12:13:18 pm #25 Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:34:42 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: bennyl08 on April 18, 2017, 12:01:54 pm
Austin is very good at moving in the pocket as well. He is just more keen to hold onto the ball a bit longer as well as the assignment errors.

2013 35 qbh 8 sacks 301 attempts 7.2 dropbacks/pressure
2014 54 14 359 5.5
2015 30 14 374 8.8
2016 61 35 406 4.6
*Note, total pressure = qbh + sacks as you can have a sack and tally no qb hurries (see scoota last season). Dropbacks = pass attempts + sacks. While positive gains could have initially been a drop back, they are ignored.

Pressures are about the OL/rb's and the time they are asked to hold on to their blocks. Sacks vs pressure is all about the QB, save for assignment errors where he is hit as soon as he gets the ball. Otherwise, it's all about how long the qb holds onto the ball. BA his first year didn't appear to have must trust in his arm or his receivers so there is a low sack to pressure ratio. He hung in there more in '14 and had more pressures as a result. In '15, he was a savvy qb now and was actually able to get the ball out quickly while simultaneously trusting himself and his receivers. Austin has a lot of trust in his arm and his receivers ability to get the ball. Among a ton of pressure, he sat there until he was able to throw the pass or take the sack and wasn't one to throw the ball away.

He isn't helped by our offense being in 3rd down situations that are longer than 11 yards and compared to our P-5 opponents last year, our offense really dug themselves in a hole on 3rd down many times. As we all know, the odds of success are going to go down the more 3rd and long situations that you find yourself in.

Example: Our P-5 opponents offenses found themselves in 3rd and long situations vs. our defense (that exceeded 11 yards) on 17 occasions LY. We put our offense in that position almost twice as often...32 times, and we successfully converted on only 8 of those. We just make it more difficult when we dig a hole like that for ourselves and we really put the pressure on everyone, but especially the QB.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this was vs. P-5 opponents only.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 18, 2017, 12:13:18 pm
He isn't helped by our offense being in 3rd down situations that are longer than 11 yards and compared to our P-5 opponents last year, our offense really dug themselves in a hole on 3rd down many times. As we all know, the odds of success are going to go down the more 3rd and long situations that you find yourself in.

Example: Our P-5 opponents offenses found themselves in 3rd and long situations vs. our defense (that exceeded 11 yards) on 17 occasions LY. We put our offense in that position almost twice as often...32 times, and we successfully converted on only 8 of those. We just make it more difficult when we dig a hole like that for ourselves and we really put the pressure on everyone, but especially the QB.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this was vs. P-5 opponents only.

Wow, didn't realize it was that bad.

DeltaBoy

Good this will make our O line better and the D more aggressive.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 18, 2017, 02:10:54 pm
Wow, didn't realize it was that bad.

I know, right? How much better might our offense have done if they hadn't dug that deep of a hole for themselves repeatedly? How many times did that situation kill drives?

And aside from that, going back through all of these games it is astounding how many times we shot ourselves in the foot by fumbling the ball away, throwing an INT, taking sacks/TFL when we didn't need to because an assignment was missed between the O-Line, RB's or TE's, or even committing a penalty at the LOS or in coverage when we had the other team in a decent distance on third down. That's not just shooting yourself in the foot, it's blowing your entire foot off.
Go Hogs Go!

nchogg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 18, 2017, 02:38:40 pm
I know, right? How much better might our offense have done if they hadn't dug that deep of a hole for themselves repeatedly? How many times did that situation kill drives?

And aside from that, going back through all of these games it is astounding how many times we shot ourselves in the foot by fumbling the ball away, throwing an INT, taking sacks/TFL when we didn't need to because an assignment was missed between the O-Line, RB's or TE's, or even committing a penalty at the LOS or in coverage when we had the other team in a decent distance on third down. That's not just shooting yourself in the foot, it's blowing your entire foot off.
I heard that and could not agree more.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nchogg on April 18, 2017, 04:15:22 pm
I heard that and could not agree more.

It's just important that we play "smart" and play "clean". We don't need to help anyone in the SEC to beat us by repeatedly handing them "gifts".
Go Hogs Go!

Kevin

just glad to here our defense is being aggressive, not just 11 guys standing in the same spot, waiting on the snap
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Razorbackers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 18, 2017, 02:38:40 pm

Man, THAT'S what made this season frustrating for me. And it shouldn't have surprised us, since we had so many new starters on offense in key positions. But man.

We had all these problems and all these mistakes...AND WE STILL came *this close* to a 9 win season. Mental mistakes cost us big down the stretch. I think the Auburn game broke us to an extent. Because early in the season, this team showed great mental toughness in late game situations.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Razorbackers on April 19, 2017, 08:42:19 am
Man, THAT'S what made this season frustrating for me. And it shouldn't have surprised us, since we had so many new starters on offense in key positions. But man.

We had all these problems and all these mistakes...AND WE STILL came *this close* to a 9 win season. Mental mistakes cost us big down the stretch. I think the Auburn game broke us to an extent. Because early in the season, this team showed great mental toughness in late game situations.

That's why I think that this team could either pop up and have a tremendous season and surprise the heck out of everyone, or it could be a 7 to 8 win team again. It all hinges on not handing opportunities to our opponents and limiting big plays.
Go Hogs Go!

Razorbackers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 19, 2017, 09:00:24 am
That's why I think that this team could either pop up and have a tremendous season and surprise the heck out of everyone, or it could be a 7 to 8 win team again. It all hinges on not handing opportunities to our opponents and limiting big plays.

I definitely agree. I predicted 8 wins for last year on the assumption that we'd beat Missouri (ugh) and have been saying that 2017 should be a big year, because I knew what it meant to lose guys like BA, AC, and those o-lineman. But this year, we're returning so much on both sides of the ball, we've got a new defensive scheme, and we've got a lot of young skill talent. And a senior QB who can really wing it around.

I look at our schedule and so many games are games we CAN legitimately win. I get why some experts think we're a 6 win team, but I see a lot of potential in this team. If we can't even muster 8 wins with this team, then I'll be getting depressed with the coaching staff. But I think 8 wins SHOULD BE the floor for this team.

Pork Twain

I think that at some point we just have to learn to be happy that it appears our weaknesses are being shored up.  I am sure Alabama's defense dominates most scrimmages, yet their offense is still able to hold their own with most teams.  We don't need to be Bama, to be better than we were.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: Razorbackers on April 19, 2017, 09:47:34 am
I definitely agree. I predicted 8 wins for last year on the assumption that we'd beat Missouri (ugh) and have been saying that 2017 should be a big year, because I knew what it meant to lose guys like BA, AC, and those o-lineman. But this year, we're returning so much on both sides of the ball, we've got a new defensive scheme, and we've got a lot of young skill talent. And a senior QB who can really wing it around.

I look at our schedule and so many games are games we CAN legitimately win. I get why some experts think we're a 6 win team, but I see a lot of potential in this team. If we can't even muster 8 wins with this team, then I'll be getting depressed with the coaching staff. But I think 8 wins SHOULD BE the floor for this team.
Completely agree.  I honestly believe that last year was the last year of disappointments we will have for a while.  We will never be Bama, but I expect us to be about an 8 win average team going forward, with some really good years mixed in.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/