Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kenneth Dixon

Started by PigBrother, October 20, 2012, 10:23:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PigBrother

What is the story on his recruitment? How did we miss out?

tophawg19

we chose williams instead
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PigBrother

The Boar War

October 20, 2012, 10:32:51 pm #3 Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:37:43 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: PigBrother on October 20, 2012, 10:28:27 pm
Couldn't have both?

We also took Donovan Roberts and Nate Holmes.  If Dixon had signed here he probably would be redshirting.

He looks like a kid with a lot of talent.  Unfortunately we seem to miss on a guy like this every year.

Break & Run

Dixon wouldn't cut it in the SEC.

La Tech plays in, what, the WAC?

WAC <  =/= SEC.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Mafia on October 21, 2012, 12:25:19 pm

WAC <  =/= SEC.

He ran for 111 yards and 2 TD's against Texas a&m.

Razorback_Mack

WAC <  =/= SEC.
Walter Payton and Jerry Rice couldn't have cut in the SEC, they played in what the SWAC? Go take a look at all the NFL hof'ers that played at lower level colleges. Your statement is the definition of ignorance. Ignorance meaning lack of knowledge.

The fact is I take great pride in being an Arkansan and I love to see my fellow Arkansans succeed. Arkansas passed on him, so he didn't have the chance to be a razorback. So there's no hard feelings there. The verdict is still out on Dixon, we don't know how he'll continue to develop. He may end up a world beater, or he might not ever score another touchdown. However, he looks very good up to this point.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 20, 2012, 10:24:01 pm
we chose williams instead
Therecouldnt be anything further from the truth. We took 3 rbs.

yraciv

We missed out. I still like our RB we got, but kid has proven he can get it done on the college level. It's very hard to project those small school kids without seeing them against real competition. Not sure if he made it to many camps or not, but I don't care what conference or how good your team is, you don't put up those numbers often as a true FR in Division 1.  And yes he would be RS here probably, but looks like a back that would have been nice to have around next year.  Maybe Roberts and Holmes will be just as capable to have that impact.

The Recruiting Guy

Dixon can play in the SEC.

Hogforlife

Quote from: Richard Davenport on October 21, 2012, 05:19:03 pm
Dixon can play in the SEC.

You are so right, saw him in High School and have watched him at Tech. If he stays healthy the sky is the limit with him.

BrianWPS!!

WAC <  =/= SEC.

Ok that inequality means that the WAC is NOT less than the sec. And we seem to miss on kids like this alot. Korliss Marshall will be another one unfortunately.

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

Doesn't he lead then nation n rushing  td's after rushing for 232 on 17 carries n 6 td's last week

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

Quote from: BrianWPS!! on October 21, 2012, 07:02:18 pm
Ok that inequality means that the WAC is NOT less than the sec. And we seem to miss on kids like this alot. Korliss Marshall will be another one unfortunately.

You are right. Tech lost to a&m 59-57.  Km is a stud n will prob go to a state

the_kosher_pig

Arkansas college coach logic - A kid in 5A Ohio who played line backer his whole career is better than a kid in AAA Arkansas who can play any position you need him to. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on October 23, 2012, 03:02:14 pm
Arkansas college coach logic - A kid in 5A Ohio who played line backer his whole career is better than a kid in AAA Arkansas who can play any position you need him to.

2a Arkansas   :'(

Dogtown Donkey

Everyone missed out, didn't they? He's at Louisiana Tech.

He was a 2 star and people are using hindsight. There was no noticeable outrage when he wasn't signed originally. But now that people have half a season of actual college production to point to, they want to come back and say what we should have done. There were a lot of people that thought our last recruiting class wasn't good enough, but signing a 2 star would help that out?

Fact of the matter is a lot of college coaches evaluated him and passed. It happens. Yeah, we missed out on him. Everyone did. If we had signed him, a lot of the same people crowing about how bad we F'd up would be complaining about him taking up a scholarship we could have given to a higher rated player. And like someone else mentioned, he'd be redshirted this year here. He wouldn't be doing what he's done at La. Tech. He did have a good game against A&M, but you can probably find a lot of small school guys that have good games against top programs but still largely produce against weak competition.

He would have been a contributor at the SEC, I suspect, but not the smaller conference star he is at La. Tech. Knile Davis, Dennis Johnson, and Jonathan Williams would all be killing it at La. Tech right now, too. How any of our RBs did against A&M is irrelevant because the two situations are completely different. if Dixon had been out there in a Hog uniform when we played A&M, he wouldn't have had anywhere near 100 yards and 2 TDs. Not behind our line on that day.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on October 23, 2012, 03:08:08 pm
2a Arkansas   :'(
I think you're going in a literal mode during a hypothetical conversation. 

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 23, 2012, 03:19:34 pm
Everyone missed out, didn't they? He's at Louisiana Tech.

He was a 2 star and people are using hindsight. There was no noticeable outrage when he wasn't signed originally. But now that people have half a season of actual college production to point to, they want to come back and say what we should have done. There were a lot of people that thought our last recruiting class wasn't good enough, but signing a 2 star would help that out?

Fact of the matter is a lot of college coaches evaluated him and passed. It happens. Yeah, we missed out on him. Everyone did. If we had signed him, a lot of the same people crowing about how bad we F'd up would be complaining about him taking up a scholarship we could have given to a higher rated player. And like someone else mentioned, he'd be redshirted this year here. He wouldn't be doing what he's done at La. Tech. He did have a good game against A&M, but you can probably find a lot of small school guys that have good games against top programs but still largely produce against weak competition.

He would have been a contributor at the SEC, I suspect, but not the smaller conference star he is at La. Tech. Knile Davis, Dennis Johnson, and Jonathan Williams would all be killing it at La. Tech right now, too. How any of our RBs did against A&M is irrelevant because the two situations are completely different. if Dixon had been out there in a Hog uniform when we played A&M, he wouldn't have had anywhere near 100 yards and 2 TDs. Not behind our line on that day.
Not a lot of people recruited him.  I can understand Tennessee missing him.  He's not in their state.  Why would they come look at him when even his home state didn't recruit him?  I think you're underselling how good he was.  Most people are too hung up on the "well he's in a AA level school" part. 

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on October 23, 2012, 03:54:23 pm
Not a lot of people recruited him.  I can understand Tennessee missing him.  He's not in their state.  Why would they come look at him when even his home state didn't recruit him?  I think you're underselling how good he was.  Most people are too hung up on the "well he's in a AA level school" part.

We did recruit him, by the way.

People need to have some perspective as well. He's a good back, but the coaching staff didn't feel they could spend a scholarship on him with Knile Davis, Ronnie Wingo, Dennis Johnson, Jonathan Williams, Donovan Roberts (Williams and Roberts were from the same class and rated much higher) already on the roster. You have to think that flipping Tenpenny was going to be in the works as well. You only get so many scholarships to give out. Not a case of me "underselling how good he is", but rather a case of the numbers not working out for Dixon at that time. We were loaded at RB and the coaches were probably looking at better RBs in the 2013 class.

the_kosher_pig

He would have been just as helpful at safety. 

Dogtown Donkey

the_kosher_pig

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on October 25, 2012, 08:30:57 am
By being good?

So, now we F'd up because we didn't offer a 2 star in-state guy to play a position he doesn't even play?

Give me a break.

sickle

He played safety in high school ,as well as running back.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: sickle on October 25, 2012, 11:29:20 am

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 25, 2012, 09:43:03 am
So, now we F'd up because we didn't offer a 2 star in-state guy to play a position he doesn't even play?

Give me a break.
lol Maybe you should have watched him.  He was a very good safety.  Heaven forbid we pass because he was just a "2 star". 

Dogtown Donkey

But he was obviously better at RB. And ranked a 2 star at that position. He plays that position at La Tech. But now the argument isn't even that we missed on him because he's a great RB. It's that we just should have signed him to play a position that he excelled less at just because he's from Arkansas. That's the vibe I get. Doesn't make sense.

Kenneth Dixon was passed over for good reason. Petrino is universially lauded for his eye for offensive talent. He looked hard at Dixon and didn't offer. Doesn't mean Dixon isn't/wasn't good. Just means Petrino thought he, given the circumstances and other needs at the time, wasn't good enough to justify offering a scholarship.

the_kosher_pig

I've pointed out before CBP's emphasis on measurables over talent.  He didn't offer because he was "only" 5-11.  Plain and simple the stubborness of CBP is what kept Dixon from being a playmaker at Arkansas. 

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on October 25, 2012, 11:39:41 am
lol Maybe you should have watched him.  He was a very good safety.  Heaven forbid we pass because he was just a "2 star".

Like I said, now the argument isn't even that we missed a good RB (which is what he's proven to be good at in college). Now we want to trash the decision not to offer him at his secondary position just because he's from Arkansas.

Petrino didn't think he was good enough. That's good enough for me. Petrino isn't perfect, but I'll trust his judgment over yours. Sorry.

Dogtown Donkey

October 25, 2012, 11:45:05 am #29 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:46:59 am by Dogtown Donkey
Quote from: the_kosher_pig on October 25, 2012, 11:43:35 am
I've pointed out before CBP's emphasis on measurables over talent.  He didn't offer because he was "only" 5-11.  Plain and simple the stubborness of CBP is what kept Dixon from being a playmaker at Arkansas.

I forgot Petrino personally told you why he didn't offer Dixon.

::)

BTW, Jonathan Williams is "only" 6'0. I'm sure that 1 inch difference meant the world to Petrino.

the_kosher_pig

Maybe being from the area told me why Petrino didn't offer.........

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on October 25, 2012, 11:46:17 am
Maybe being from the area told me why Petrino didn't offer.........

So, by that logic, I should know why Petrino doesn't offer every central Arkansas kid.....

Face it, man, you have an axe to grind and you're being irrational because of it. Petrino passed up a kid from your area and you're still bitter.

the_kosher_pig

I'm from Central Arkansas.  I just know a lot of people there.  I have an axe to grind because kids aren't being recruited period here.  Since Fairview group of Curtis, Askew, and Youngblood and the Warren boys I can only think of one kid (Lowe) who's been recruited.  You can't tell me that there isn't one player down here better than the kids in NWA and out of state.  It's just not possible. 

tophawg19

that offensive line is what we missed on. they are SEC caliber or at least the coach is . his running is coming in a pass happy offense so he isn't facing 7 and 8 in the box . we took 2 running back and nathan holmes who is an athelete who our real hope is as a multi purpose player / kick returner
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

mmhogs17

A small town stud that got away, happens.

CHELLO300

kosher_pig is correct......Arkansas did not offer at camp based on size and reported 40 time (4.6).  After he rushed for 350 yds in the championship game, calls started coming from the Hogs.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: CHELLO300 on October 25, 2012, 01:57:30 pm
kosher_pig is correct......Arkansas did not offer at camp based on size and reported 40 time (4.6).  After he rushed for 350 yds in the championship game, calls started coming from the Hogs.

Kenneth Dixon is listed at 6'0, 211.
Jonathan Williams is listed at 6'0, 205.
Donovan Roberts is listed at 6'0, 200.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/8/arkansas-razorbacks

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/2348/louisiana-tech-bulldogs

IronHog

Quote from: yraciv on October 21, 2012, 02:10:13 pm
We missed out. I still like our RB we got, but kid has proven he can get it done on the college level. It's very hard to project those small school kids without seeing them against real competition.

He played against better players at Strong than he EVER would have in the 7A west.  Not every game, but better south arkansas 2A schools have better athletes at 50% of their spots than 7A schools.

Arkansas just missed....... they have a bad habit of that.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

He played alot of Quarterback in a run spread type system.........

His 40 time hurt him..... after watching him grind out the yards at La Tech his 40 time doesn't matter.

yraciv

October 25, 2012, 07:31:03 pm #39 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:35:34 pm by yraciv
Quote from: IronHog on October 25, 2012, 02:22:04 pm

He played against better players at Strong than he EVER would have in the 7A west.  Not every game, but better south arkansas 2A schools have better athletes at 50% of their spots than 7A schools.

Arkansas just missed....... they have a bad habit of that.

Haha! Let's just say I disagree! There might be 1 or 2 of those super athletes floating around at one position in those small 2A schools, but if he is playing DE or CB, you just run or throw to the other side. The majority of Bentonville's defense might not play in the SEC, but they'll play somewhere. Please tell me about all the kids at the schools other than Junction City are playing college ball now, and I'll try to come up with a list of the countless amount of college players from each of the 7A schools.  And let me clarify that I meant football players. There is probably 1 or 2 guys on those small school teams that could start for the elite in the 7A West.  Maybe it's coaching and those guys really are superior athletes, but if you've never learned to wrap up it kind of minimizes that advantage.

IronHog

Quote from: yraciv on October 25, 2012, 07:31:03 pm
Haha! Let's just say I disagree! There might be 1 or 2 of those super athletes floating around at one position in those small 2A schools, but if he is playing DE or CB, you just run or throw to the other side. The majority of Bentonville's defense might not play in the SEC, but they'll play somewhere. Please tell me about all the kids at the schools other than Junction City are playing college ball now, and I'll try to come up with a list of the countless amount of college players from each of the 7A schools.  And let me clarify that I meant football players. There is probably 1 or 2 guys on those small school teams that could start for the elite in the 7A West.  Maybe it's coaching and those guys really are superior athletes, but if you've never learned to wrap up it kind of minimizes that advantage.

Whatever.  Good 2 and 3A schools have very good players.

Half of Rison, Bearden, or Fordyce's players would start anywhere in the 7A west.

Now the bottom kids on the field wouldn't start for 4A teams.......... and bad teams are not talented anywhere.

But Dixon would have ripped Bentonville a new one........ there are few D1 if any defenders in 7A football.

"College" player doesn't mean much....... I made the linebackers at UCA look like ants.

the_kosher_pig

Junction City has two kids at the Razorbacks right now along with one from Bearden. Bearden also has a kid at Oklahoma State.  Three kids played in the same conference for AA ball.  Add Dixon from Strong and you're seeing 5 kids at only the AA level who transitioned to DI.  Why WOULDN'T you recruit this area? 

DeltaBoy

The Small School Bias that Frank instilled in the program remains even today.   Phat Phil loved coming into Eastern and South East Ark and getting players.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 26, 2012, 08:38:46 am
The Small School Bias that Frank instilled in the program remains even today.   Phat Phil loved coming into Eastern and South East Ark and getting players.
Yeah, but what does Fulmer know about coaching football. He's only in the HOF and has this to his resume:
Overall   152–52
Bowls   8–7
Statistics
College Football Data Warehouse
Accomplishments and honors
Championships
1 National Championship (1998)
2 SEC Championships (1997, 1998)
6 SEC Eastern Division Titles (1997, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007)
Awards
AFCA Coach of the Year (1998)
Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year (1998)
George Munger Award (1998)
Home Depot Coach of the Year Award (1998)
Sporting News College Football COY (1998)
SEC Coach of the Year (1998)
College Football Hall of Fame
Inducted in 2012

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on October 26, 2012, 08:33:14 am
Junction City has two kids at the Razorbacks right now along with one from Bearden. Bearden also has a kid at Oklahoma State.  Three kids played in the same conference for AA ball.  Add Dixon from Strong and you're seeing 5 kids at only the AA level who transitioned to DI.  Why WOULDN'T you recruit this area?

It looks the area has been recruited if there's players at Arkansas and Oklahoma State.

Hate to be Captain Obvious, but...

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 26, 2012, 10:47:34 am
It looks the area has been recruited if there's players at Arkansas and Oklahoma State.

Hate to be Captain Obvious, but...
100 miles between Camden and Pine Bluff/Little Rock Captain Obvious.........

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on October 26, 2012, 11:04:57 am
100 miles between Camden and Pine Bluff/Little Rock Captain Obvious.........

You're not making any sense.

You said you don't know why the area wouldn't be recruited but it is being recruited.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 26, 2012, 11:51:53 am
You're not making any sense.

You said you don't know why the area wouldn't be recruited but it is being recruited.
You're just not comprehending.   The few athletes who have been seen have better fan support to get the tapes and videos to the campus.  However, most of the rural schools here have no reason to show allegiance to the U of A.  The U of A usually turns a brow up to Southern Arkansas.  Pine Bluff isn't being recruited at all.  We had one kid in the past few years offered by the U of A (Sprinkle) and it's because his father was an alumni.  The U of A needs to campaign down here.  Even if it's just a freaking billboard. 

Dumb ole famrboy

How many High Schools are there in Arkansas? ChaCha Answer says that the State has 305 school districts.

IronHog

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on October 26, 2012, 01:41:34 pm
How many High Schools are there in Arkansas? ChaCha Answer says that the State has 305 school districts.

But most of the good football players are at Strong, Rison, Junction City, Warren, etc.

Would would THINK that the 7A west would all have 3-4 blue chippers a piece....... but they don't so you better not miss on the Kenneth Dixons if you want to win big at Arkansas.