Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can we have a real conversation about the state of our program?

Started by daprospecta, March 17, 2018, 08:58:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

daprospecta

Let's talk about it.  We are making the tourney and not making it past the first weekend.   I will agree with anyone that makes that argument.  What I can't stand is posters trying to pretend Mike isn't doing a good job, not great but good.  The recruiting has improved, our consistency in the tourney has improved. Let's talk about what you really want from Mike and I mean from a results standpoint and not "We need to play better defense" comments.

hogsanity

I want them to make changes when what they are doing is not working. I am tired of hearing ( insert opponent name) " just cant miss " when they play the Hogs. I am tired of defensive fouls 75 ft from the basket. I am tired of watching the Hogs trap 45 ft out and seeing the opponent make 2 passes for a wide open 3 or a layup. I am tired of every 2 years having to sign 6 or 7 players, balance the freaking team it is only 13 players. I am tired of the "motion offense" which has long stagnant stretches. They had a NBA 1st rounder in the post and had no plays to get him the ball. And for goodness sake quit taking out your best scorers all at once. Yesterday, down 11 with 11 to go and Barford/Macon/Gafford were all 3 on the bench.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

oldbooniehog

First Sweet Sixteen in 22 years would be nice, for starters.

Only next year will be 23 years.

Razorod

Reasonable request:

I think Anderson is doing a decent to good job.

I have always felt if he can figure out the recruiting piece, he can have success at Arkansas. It appears he may be "figuring it out." We'll see.

I'm sure practice facility, switching Scotty for Coach Z and some good in-class talent have all factored into it.

I would exercise some caution with regard to the incoming class, While I think it may well be Anderson's best, some of that is due to volume and, given that none are considered top 50 in their class, I have some concern as to what they'll do as true freshmen. I think any or all will be good players, but it might be their sophomore, junior years before we really see it.

What I think of with any Hog coach, or at least try to envision, is: can he get us to the Final Four.

I haven't moved any bars or re-calibrated, that's my thinking from the day the coach is hired. We may or may not ever win another national championship, be we can be a program that gets to the Final Four on a more than every 23 years basis.

If we want to talk about Anderson in terms above and beyond decent to good, he needs to do one of three things: win the regular season championship, the SEC tourney, or get beyond the first weekend of the NCAA tourney.

To be considered very good to great, he needs to do those things consistently in some combination.

Can Anderson get us there? To date he hasn't. Plus, if Gafford goes pro and/or Garland's not cleared to play, unlikely he does any of the things listed above next year.

Obviously, if the season goes like many think, that would be eight years with no regular season or SEC tourney championship and likely no NCAA tourney next year.

But, the season has yet to be played and we don't know how the spring/summer will shake out.

Recruiting does appear to be on a bit of an upswing, that gives me some optimism. But Anderson really needs to accomplish something a bit more than what he's done yet before I'm willing to say he's doing better than above-average to good.

What do you think?

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

oldbooniehog

In a thread I started earlier this year, FCJ himself said it best.

He scolded me for a thread in which I compared the first 7 years of Eddie Sutton, Nolan Richardson and Mike Anderson.

FCJ scolded me because it simply wasn't fair to compare Mike Anderson to Sutton and Richardson because those 2 were "Hall of Fame coaches" (FCJ's words, not mine) and two of the greatest.

Arkansas basketball used to be a program that made Sweet Sixteens and Elite Eights and Final Fours.

In the early 1990s, Arkansas was among the most dominant programs in all of NCAA basketball.

Anderson is a "good" coach in that the Hogs will probably win at least 51% of their games (as Anderson fanboys always tout the fact he's never had a losing season in his career.)

But Anderson has proven, for 7 years now, that he's not the guy to get beyond a merely winning season.

He will not win an SEC title. He will not get to the Sweet Sixteen. He will not have the Hogs consistently ranked.

If you are content with Arkansas basketball being the equivalent to warmed-up leftover 3-day old pizza, he's the man for you. Decent. Better than nothing. Not bad, but nothing to get excited about.

If you ever want to see Arkansas basketball approach what it used to be in the 1980s and 1990s, he isn't, as he's proven, for 7 years, that he's not capable of doing that.

I don't think he is doing a "good" job. Basically he's average at best. No sweet 16's in 7 years, 2 NCAA tourney wins in 7 years isn't "good." It's the bare minimum to keep your job.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Razorod on March 17, 2018, 09:24:07 pm
Reasonable request:

I have always felt if he can figure out the recruiting piece, he can have success at Arkansas. It appears he may be "figuring it out." We'll see.

I'm sure practice facility, switching Scotty for Coach Z and some good in-class talent have all factored into it.

I would exercise some caution with regard to the incoming class, While I think it may well be Anderson's best, some of that is due to volume and, given that none are considered top 50 in their class, I have some concern as to what they'll do as true freshmen. I think any or all will be good players, but it might be their sophomore, junior years before we really see it.

What I think of with any Hog coach, or at least try to envision, is: can he get us to the Final Four.

I haven't moved any bars or re-calibrated, that's my thinking from the day the coach is hired. We may or may not ever win another national championship, be we can be a program that gets to the Final Four on a more than every 23 years basis.

If we want to talk about Anderson in terms above and beyond decent to good, he needs to do one of three things: win the regular season championship, the SEC tourney, or get beyond the first weekend of the NCAA tourney.

To be considered very good to great, he needs to do those things consistently in some combination.

Can Anderson get us there? To date he hasn't. Plus, if Gafford goes pro and/or Garland's not cleared to play, unlikely he does any of the things listed above next year.

Obviously, if the season goes like many think, that would be eight years with no regular season or SEC tourney championship and likely no NCAA tourney next year.

But, the season has yet to be played and we don't know how the spring/summer will shake out.

Recruiting does appear to be on a bit of an upswing, that gives me some optimism. But Anderson really needs to accomplish something a bit more than what he's done yet before I'm willing to say he's doing better than above-average to good.

What do you think?
This is the most realistic post ever. I just made a topic similar to this I didn't see your post. I agree with everything and will add that player retention has been his biggest issue at Arkansas.

rude1

I think MA is doing an average job, just enough not to get himself fired but not enough that leaves you optimistic about the direction of the program.

I want to see a top 25 team and program and that doesn't mean make an appearance then go on losing streak never to return. I want to see a program that gets in and stays in the poll for the season.

I want to see a team that's vying for the conference title, not stuck in a log jam at the middle or bottom of the conference.

I want to see a team that come seasons end is playing trying to improve it's seeding, not looking to string together enough wins to get a 7-10 seed.

Then after all that I want to see a team that get's to the sweet 16 and a threat to advance even further.

hogsanity

Hog program is treading water in a SEC that is, supposedly, improving.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

AirWarren

Quote from: daprospecta on March 17, 2018, 08:58:31 pm
Let's talk about it.  We are making the tourney and not making it past the first weekend.   I will agree with anyone that makes that argument.  What I can't stand is posters trying to pretend Mike isn't doing a good job, not great but good.  The recruiting has improved, our consistency in the tourney has improved. Let's talk about what you really want from Mike and I mean from a results standpoint and not "We need to play better defense" comments.

Typical Arkansas athletics.

HawgHeadCheese

I too think Anderson has done a good job not great. I would like to see him do a better job at player retention. If we do a better job at retaining our classes to develop them we will get over the hump. This year although we had 6 juniors 3 only spent 2 yrs in the system, one transfer who really never got out of his own way and was here 3 yrs, the Beard who never really put it together. Then you have Thompson who some might disagree with me but I think made major progress from Fr. to Sr. might not show on the stats but he made this team better in a lot of ways.

oldbooniehog

Arkansas fired Stan Heath immediately after he reached his 2nd consecutive NCAA tournament.

Heath got to 2 NCAA tournament trips in only 5 years.

Anderson accomplished his first 2 NCAA tournament trips in 6 years.

No sign at all that Anderson will ever get the Hogs much beyond merely getting to the NCAA tournament.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 17, 2018, 09:27:27 pm
In a thread I started earlier this year, FCJ himself said it best.

He scolded me for a thread in which I compared the first 7 years of Eddie Sutton, Nolan Richardson and Mike Anderson.

FCJ scolded me because it simply wasn't fair to compare Mike Anderson to Sutton and Richardson because those 2 were "Hall of Fame coaches" (FCJ's words, not mine) and two of the greatest.

Arkansas basketball used to be a program that made Sweet Sixteens and Elite Eights and Final Fours.

In the early 1990s, Arkansas was among the most dominant programs in all of NCAA basketball.

Anderson is a "good" coach in that the Hogs will probably win at least 51% of their games (as Anderson fanboys always tout the fact he's never had a losing season in his career.)

But Anderson has proven, for 7 years now, that he's not the guy to get beyond a merely winning season.

He will not win an SEC title. He will not get to the Sweet Sixteen. He will not have the Hogs consistently ranked.

If you are content with Arkansas basketball being the equivalent to warmed-up leftover 3-day old pizza, he's the man for you. Decent. Better than nothing. Not bad, but nothing to get excited about.

If you ever want to see Arkansas basketball approach what it used to be in the 1980s and 1990s, he isn't, as he's proven, for 7 years, that he's not capable of doing that.

We were the winningest team of the 90s until the 1997 season.

I remember getting to watch the NCAA tournament at school at the beginning of the Mayberry, Day, Miller era.

We've had a pretty good history from the 70s-80s-90s.

That history is pretty much erased from the DNA of our program now. We need to make it to the regional semifinals 2-3 times in 5 years to get that back.
This is my non-signature signature.

sadhogfan

Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 17, 2018, 09:43:38 pm
Arkansas fired Stan Heath immediately after he reached his 2nd consecutive NCAA tournament.

No sign at all that Anderson will ever get the Hogs much beyond merely getting to the NCAA tournament.

Under Heath, we were also hemorrhaging attendance and our program was running off the rails academically. Those are actual things that matter.

And he still wouldn't have been fired if we hadn't been convinced that we were going to get Billy Gillespie.

daprospecta

Reasonable request:

What do you think?

I can't disagree with a single word.

Kevin

The man has stabilized the program
He gets credit for that. But we have now reached his ceiling. Just look at the numbers 22 wins, 11 loses a year on average.

Question is: is this good enough for hog fans or do you want more

Me personally, I want more. There are coaches out there who would want this job, that I think could take it to the next level.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Deep Shoat

At the end of the day, we got exactly what I told everyone we would get when we hired CMA.  An unfireable coach who doesn't cheat and makes boys into good men, but will never succeed at the level we crave because of his adherence to an outdated mode of play and reliance on pace of play over skill, strategy, and sound basketball.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Dr. Starcs

I'd be satisfied if he would hire a true x and o coach on the bench and let him change some things about CMA's system.

Oliver

Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 17, 2018, 09:43:38 pm

Anderson hasn't taken us as far as he did Mizzou or UAB in 7 years

hogsanity

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 17, 2018, 10:22:14 pm
At the end of the day, we got exactly what I told everyone we would get when we hired CMA.  An unfireable coach who doesn't cheat and makes boys into good men, but will never succeed at the level we crave because of his adherence to an outdated mode of play and reliance on pace of play over skill, strategy, and sound basketball.

Yep, we were few in # but some of us were saying this was exactly where the program would end up if Mike was hired.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Oliver on March 17, 2018, 10:26:51 pm

More film to watch on him.

Prolly part of the reason we get blown out by 15 when we lose.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 17, 2018, 09:45:54 pm
We were the winningest team of the 90s until the 1997 season.

I remember getting to watch the NCAA tournament at school at the beginning of the Mayberry, Day, Miller era.

We've had a pretty good history from the 70s-80s-90s.

That history is pretty much erased from the DNA of our program now. We need to make it to the regional semifinals 2-3 times in 5 years to get that back.

I started off a spoiled basketball fan. The Triplets came to power when I was in junior high. It seemed like one star would finish his career, and another would be waiting. I felt like we always (at least) had a shot.

The last 2 or 3 years of the Noland era...hearkened the end. Prior to that, for all those years, the only dips/down-times were the very end of Sutton's time (my last year at the U of A was his last) and the beginning of the Noland's. Just not much talent in that short stretch.

Then we really took off.

The common denominator...we would challenge teams, no matter who they were. I haven't felt that consistently for almost 2 decades.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

99toLife

Quote from: Oliver on March 17, 2018, 10:26:51 pm

Well he ran out of big bad ass nephews and god sons. 

JayHog

Quote from: 99toLife on March 17, 2018, 11:38:03 pm
Well he ran out of big bad ass nephews and god sons.

Well, eventually they will have kids as well.  Then Anderson will have great-nephews and great-godsons to recruit. We just have to be patient.

99toLife

Quote from: JayHog on March 17, 2018, 11:48:45 pm
Well, eventually they will have kids as well.  Then Anderson will have great-nephews and great-godsons to recruit. We just have to be patient.

We do have that to look forward to, I guess. point taken.

Jek Tono Porkins

I view him kind of the same way as Nutt without all the off field/court maelstroms.

Nutt got the football program out of the Crowe/Kines/Ford slump. He took the program from "bad" to "decent." But he never got them to "good."

We needed someone like Anderson after the Pel years. Someone to come in, clean up, and take the program from bad to decent. But I don't think Anderson is going to ever make Arkansas basketball good again. We'll stay where we are. 9-10 losses a year, some of those losses really bad, with decent SEC tourney performances and mid to low seeds in the NCAA tournament resulting in being knocked out of the dance early.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

luke hawg

Our guys don't play for each other. It doesn't seem winning is always the number one priority. We didn't have any leaders on the floor this year. Mike and Nolan's good teams all had strong leaders at the guard position. All the teams advancing have strong lead guards that put forth great efforts on both ends. We had three shooting guards all getting theirs this season on the offensive end and slacking on defense.

Sharky

CMA is a top 35 coach imo, but he's running a system that isn't ideal for this era of basketball, and he's never going to change--although 40MOH is, in my opinion, fun to watch when it works. Basically, CMA wants to exploit poor guard play with traps, force turnovers, run deep rotations, and wear out the other teams. It's organized chaos, and it requires better fitness and a deep roster of good but not great players (and players that can, specifically, run and gun).

There are a several reasons why 40MOH worked better in the 1990s than it does now. In no particular order:

1. TV timeouts slow the game, give opposing players time to rest and catch their breath; slows momentum

2. Touch fouls slow the game, give players time to rest and catch their breath; slows momentum

3. Guard play has improved

4. Digital video reviews/coach communication has improved--digital videos with commercials cut out can be watched and shared quite quickly, even from an ipad while in bed. It's easy for an opposing coach to see how to beat a CMA team (use two or three guards and beat the trap and push the ball up court for easy, open buckets; force arkansas into a slower half court game).

5. Quality recruits can go on espn.com and see how many playing minutes a starter gets at arkansas. If you're trying to get to the next level, why attend Arkansas where you won't get as much playing time?

Hou-Hog

Here are my thoughts:
Expectations of Arkansas basketball:
Should be a top 25 program year in year out.
Should finish within the top 6 every year and be in the top 3 half of the time
Should make the tournament every year
Should make a sweet 16 run half of the time
Should have top 25 recruiting class very year

State of the program:
+ Academically, the players are doing well and graduating
+ Recruiting feels as though it is improving, but much of that is due to basketball talent in Arkansas has been especially good.  I still give Coach A credit for getting them to sign.
+ Offensively, the motion is effective when they move and do not get stagnate.
- Our defensive focus has been consistently very good under Coach A, which is a surprise.  His UAB team's were exceptionally focused on the defensive side.   I am not sure why he cannot get them to buy in.
- I do not understand why we cannot recruit a responsible 4 (until this incoming class)
- It took Coach A way too long to get to where the program is today
- I would like to see the assistant coaches take a leadership role.  They seem very passive.
- We occasionally see very good mid game adjustments, but more often than not it feels as though the approach is a "we will work our way through it"

So when I summarize my thoughts, I would say that we are not meeting my expectations.  I think that the last two years we have gotten closer and I would have been happy if those were year 3-4 and not 6-7 of his tenure.

Hog_Fink

I think the pace & system can work, but you have to be more versatile. It's obvious refs are involving themselves way more. We have to be able to play tough & under control. And unselfish. I'm so sick of watching hero ball.

Our teams lack discipline & leadership. They haven't even shown grit or toughness.

I understand Mike was at a serious disadvantage when Kapita didn't qualify & Portis + Qualls left, but we can't be left with a roster of juco & low level transfers.

This incoming class may be something to build on, but not sure if Mike will see them through if he loses the fan base.

pigture perfect

I like Mike. I like that Players stay out of trouble for the most part. I'm glad for the clean program. I'm glad that he is respectful to his players, their families and the fans. I like the pace of his system when it's working. Many things about Mike I like.

I don't like Mike's staff. I don't think they bring anything to the table. I don't like the way we lose. The blowouts are not acceptable. I do t like his sideline demeanor.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Cure

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 17, 2018, 10:29:20 pm
More film to watch on him.

Prolly part of the reason we get blown out by 15 when we lose.
What is there that you need to watch to scout Arkansas?
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Cure on March 18, 2018, 01:04:27 am
What is there that you need to watch to scout Arkansas?

Not very much.

It's about the process though.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2018, 09:07:17 pm
I want them to make changes when what they are doing is not working. I am tired of hearing ( insert opponent name) " just cant miss " when they play the Hogs. I am tired of defensive fouls 75 ft from the basket. I am tired of watching the Hogs trap 45 ft out and seeing the opponent make 2 passes for a wide open 3 or a layup. I am tired of every 2 years having to sign 6 or 7 players, balance the freaking team it is only 13 players. I am tired of the "motion offense" which has long stagnant stretches. They had a NBA 1st rounder in the post and had no plays to get him the ball. And for goodness sake quit taking out your best scorers all at once. Yesterday, down 11 with 11 to go and Barford/Macon/Gafford were all 3 on the bench.
Just keep reposting this one. It's everything that needs to be said.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

code red

Anderson is not doing a good job.  Every loss is a blowout loss.  That is not the sign of a good coach.  He coachs poor defensive techniques.  He doesn't coach offensive sets.  He leaves multiple TOs on the board in losses.  So to make a long story short.  Go to the tourny next year or else. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

AFWarrior83

I want to see a lockdown defense without a significant drop in offense. I want to see blocking out and better shot selection. More than anything, I want Arkansas to get past the first weekend in the NCAA tourney.
Hogville member since 2005.

atom hog

I agree, the problems this team comes down to coaching. The lack of basic fundamentals of defense, lack of offensive plays and low overall basketball IQs stem from coaching deficiencies. There is no tactical planning with this team...it shows. We may out-talent a number of teams, but we won't out x-and-o anybody. The tourney always reveals our coaching deficiencies. We are a poorly coached team with talented players, so being bounced in the first round is a best case scenario for us.

GuvHog

Reasonable request:

What do you think?

The fact that if Gafford leaves, the tallest player on the team will be maybe 6'9" is a sign that Mike hasn't figured the recruiting part out. That and having 6 Seniors on the team in one year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2018, 10:27:47 pm
Yep, we were few in # but some of us were saying this was exactly where the program would end up if Mike was hired.

There were those who swore up and down that Mike would bring "40 minutes of Hades" back to Arkansas basketball. They were wrong.

Those of use who tried to tell them they were wrong and even explained why it wouldn't happen were called names, told we didn't know what we were talking about, and were told to get lost. We were and are right. Mike was never going to bring Nolan ball back to Arkansas and never will. Mike is trying hard but the added time outs and the hand checking rules have made his style of play obsolete.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

lc480

If you want to see a coach who can win with less talent look no further than Coach at Texas Tech, If you can win at that sh-t hole you could win anywhere. One thing for sure it should be easy to recruit to Arkansas than Tech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

micali

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2018, 09:07:17 pm
Everything he just said.

Locutus_of_Boar

What I can't stand is posters trying to pretend Mike isn't doing a good job, not great but good.

Mike Anderson was Jeff Long's peace offering to the remaining Nolan Richardson faction.  His performance good and bad is purely coincidental.  He allows people trapped a quarter century in the past to continue to dream that somehow that past will return in all it's glory.

The recruiting has improved,

Measure against the recruiting progress of the SEC competition Arkansas is losing ground.

our consistency in the tourney has improved.

23 years without once lucking out enough to escape the 1st weekend is arguably the most consistently pathetic performance in NCAA history.

Let's talk about what you really want from Mike and I mean from a results standpoint and not "We need to play better defense" comments.

Purely from a results standpoint I expect Michael Andre Anderson to accept promotion to a noncoaching Associate AD position where he will be well compensated for his lifetime of effort without further impeding the resulting basketball record.

It is over.  The SEC is getting to be too bad a neghborhood for coaches of MA's ability.  From this point forward it only gets more ugly as Anderson is forced to step by step retreat from reality until everyone forgets those real accomplishments of the past and see only the endless futility of the present.

Atlhogfan1

Check post history. This has been discussed
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogBreath

Quote from: GuvHog on March 18, 2018, 07:56:15 am
The fact that if Gafford leaves, the tallest player on the team will be maybe 6'9" is a sign that Mike hasn't figured the recruiting part out. That and having 6 Seniors on the team in one year.
Anyone remember how much grief Heath caught over his "unbalanced" classes?  He got reamed over it.

Hasn't been that big of a deal for CMA it appears.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogBreath on March 18, 2018, 02:23:42 pm
Anyone remember how much grief Heath caught over his "unbalanced" classes?  He got reamed over it.

Hasn't been that big of a deal for CMA it appears.

Everything has an excuse or outside blame.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on March 18, 2018, 06:36:15 am
I want to see a lockdown defense without a significant drop in offense. I want to see blocking out and better shot selection. More than anything, I want Arkansas to get past the first weekend in the NCAA tourney.

Well, don't count on those happening as long as we are stuck in a time warp waiting for a replication of 1994 and 1995 while utilizing Anderson's outdated slogan based ("Fastest 40 Minutes") system.

hogsanity

The state of the program is that we have a coach that is incapable, either because of skill or ego, of playing any thing other than an outdated defense, paired with a offense that is not really anything. Motion offense just means do what you want, it s basically a free form jazz jam session.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: luke hawg on March 18, 2018, 12:14:00 am
Our guys don't play for each other. It doesn't seem winning is always the number one priority. We didn't have any leaders on the floor this year. Mike and Nolan's good teams all had strong leaders at the guard position. All the teams advancing have strong lead guards that put forth great efforts on both ends. We had three shooting guards all getting theirs this season on the offensive end and slacking on defense.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: luke hawg on March 18, 2018, 12:14:00 am

Couldn't stand to watch this team offensively.  Due to lack of options, Barford and Macon had to be selfish but it was crap basketball.  Left Gafford as nothing more than a clean up player. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 04:19:19 pm
Couldn't stand to watch this team offensively.  Due to lack of options, Barford and Macon had to be selfish but it was crap basketball.  Left Gafford as nothing more than a clean up player. 

That's because Mike either CANT or WONT run sets to get a player like Gafford the ball. Every single broadcast team that did Hogs games could not believe how the team could go trip after trip and Gafford never even touch the ball.  When you have a 1st rnd NBA talent, a good coach would find a way to get said NBA 1st rnd talent the ball.