Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lou Holtz on Carson

Started by go hogues, December 15, 2017, 02:46:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JONAS

Quote from: sowmonella on December 15, 2017, 03:53:43 pm
I believe he was on a couple of times. Once was after the Orange Bowl win. He tore up a newspaper and put it back together.

I want to know how he did that trick.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 15, 2017, 08:07:51 pm
You've got the story completely screwed up. The "Jesus wept" comment had nothing to do with why Hatfield left.

Hatfield's problems with Broyles started in Hatfield's 4th season after the 1987 Texas game which Arkansas lost on a last second play. Texas was trying to line up and get a play off with no time outs remaining when Fred Goldsmith, Arkansas defensive coordinator, called a time out. That time out allowed Texas time to get collected and call the right play which resulted in the game winning score. It was an obvious blunder.

Broyles was furious after the game. He told Hatfield that Goldsmith was a joke and needed to be fired. He also told Hatfield he would pay whatever it took to get the best defensive coordinator money could buy. Hatfield refused so Broyles went to the school chancellor seeking permission to fire Hatfield. Dan Ferritor refused so both Hatfield and Goldsmith remained.

But Frank wasn't a man to give up. He convinced Rice's AD to hire Goldsmith as head coach. Over the next two years Arkansas went to back to back Cotton bowls. Broyles did Hatfield a huge favor by getting rid of Goldsmith but he was so offended by Frank's attempt to fire him that he left for Clemson and his career went downhill after that.

Frank deserved some of the criticism he got for meddling but in most cases he knew what the hell he was doing. Goldsmith was pitiful.
That's my take on Frank Broyles as well. The short version, anyway.
If guilty of anything, it would be meddling too much and being a demanding boss.
Otherwise, he was terrific for the UA and his judgment was accurate most of the time. I wish he would have been allowed to stay as AD (solely) until he didn't want to do it anymore. When John White took over UA athletics went down.

HognitiveDissonance

Holtz was the king of the one-liners. Someone should compile a book.
"Fayetteville is three hours from Little Rock---by phone."

Tusks

I was in school when Holtz was HC and they sold the 'fayetteville, it's not the end of the world but you can see it from there' t-shirts in the bookstore.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Mo_Better_Hogs

Mike Irwin's post regarding Broyles / Hatfield / Goldsmith is one of those that should be filed in a yet-to-be-created Hogville "history" archives. We've all heard different things about the end of the Hatfield era, and this is an important piece.

The Holtz onstage vs offstage stories here are interesting. I agree, he was a showman--entertaining and goofy--and was at his best in front of a microphone. But I always wondered about his dark side.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 16, 2017, 03:29:06 pm
Holtz was the king of the one-liners. Someone should compile a book.
"Fayetteville is three hours from Little Rock---by phone."

There IS a book, published in the late 70s. I have it somewhere. I think it's called "Holtz' Quotes."
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Paul

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on December 15, 2017, 07:47:17 pm
The best way to understand it is that Broyles always saw the Arkansas job as the ultimate objective of his career while Holtz was always something of a travelling journeyman never meant to stay any place more than a few years, even at Notre Dame.

Thus, Lou could joke about seeing the end of the world from Fayetteville and every time he said it that grated on Broyles.

Where it really got away from him was the politics.  Back in the 30's Fred Thompsen got in a lot of trouble getting into politics rasing the money to build Razorback Stadium.  Barnhill established a strong hands off politics approach and with Broyles it virtually became his religion.

Holtz had come from NC State and was heavy into NC politics, including actively supporting Jesse Helms.  When he cut a commercial for Helms that was really the last straw although Broyles waited until problems develpoed between Holtz and Arkansas HS coaches that were hurting recruiting.

Ultimately though Broyles saw that ND would come after Lou when they fired Faust and Frank didn't want to see Lou leave Arkansas for another gig so between the recuiting and the politics he pushed Holtz out before Lou could leave on his own.
That's incorrect. After Holtz was fired by Broyles Holtz wen to Minnesota for a couple of years before ND hired him.  I worked witha fellow who was good friends with Lou. According to this this guy Lou was staying st his place in Hot Springs when Loy's agent reached him & told him he'd been invited to appear on the Tonight Show.  Lou initially declined & told this guy that if he appeared in the show, Broyles was be so jealous he'd get rid of him. TIFWIW

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Danimal on December 15, 2017, 06:31:12 pm
That describes a lot of great coaches.

Great coaches are smart enough to not make commercials for a racist politician in the south where they have to recruit.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 15, 2017, 07:21:57 pm
I went to the UofA while Broyles was the coach.  I was not a fan of his, really not a fan.  But then I was young, when I grew older I got a different perspective.  In the column of give the devil his due, he went up every year against every decent college team in Texas including A&M, Tech, Baylor and the Horns (they were perennially the better schools until Dallas opened the check book to SMU).  He more than held his own,  the years that we were able to beat Texas we usually won the conference.  We had no where near the budget or demographic base that some of those other schools had.  However, I dont think he can criticize others (without some hypocrisy) for extra curricular activities though - since he was the color commentator on ABC for years.

Tech and Baylor were not "perennially better".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redeye on December 15, 2017, 08:59:48 pm
Thanks for the info Mr. Irwin!

Is it true that Hatfield ran the Flexbone because Broyles wouldn't let him throw the ball?

Kenny ran the bone at the Air Force Academy before he got the job at Arkansas.

hogcards

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 15, 2017, 03:50:48 pm
Lou Holtz wears people out. What you see here is a good example of what he's like to be around on a daily basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctKqsJ6W8OE

He's a first class jerk.  Someone needed to kick has a^&.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

RebelliousHog

Quote from: Danimal on December 15, 2017, 06:31:12 pm
That describes a lot of great coaches.

Except Nick Saban who, admirably, is a big jerk on TV too.  I respect that.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci