Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What the initial bracket of a 8 team play off would look like 2010-2017

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, December 15, 2017, 05:50:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 15, 2017, 05:27:50 pm
Exactly.  Right now you have a 15 game playoff  12 regular season games, a conference championship and the 4 team bracket.  Why water it down??

Besides, this year alone should show you 8 is too many. After the first three, there's an argument for the next 10 or so.  Where do you draw the line??

There is a greater debate about the closeness of play between the top 8 and their schedules than the lesser 8 that fill out a 16 team bracket. This year in particular.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on December 16, 2017, 04:33:47 pm

8 with the 1st round being the championship games

Just dumb Bama can get a do over every year.

You know, I am not a fan of Alabama either, but if they reside within the top 8 in and 8 team play-off, they should be involved. The more preferable placement is #1, #2 and #3 in that format and if you want to be in those slots, don't lose. But I wouldn't have any problem with the #8 team playing their way through the brackets to becoming national champion. Some teams get better as the season progresses. To me it isn't about Alabama or any other team, it is just who earned their way to the NCG.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 16, 2017, 04:38:48 pm
You know, I am not a fan of Alabama either, but if they reside within the top 8 in and 8 team play-off, they should be involved. The more preferable placement is #1, #2 and #3 in that format and if you want to be in those slots, don't lose. But I wouldn't have any problem with the #8 team playing their way through the brackets to becoming national champion. Some teams get better as the season progresses. To me it isn't about Alabama or any other team, it is just who earned their way to the NCG.

Who has Bama beat this year? 

Way it is now conference games don't mean much.  Make it a conference championship play in and every week is a war.

If 8-3 Penn State puts out tha 11-1 OSU so be it....

MasterChiefHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 08:35:01 am
We had an 8 team playoff already. Aub/GA  Miami/Clem Wisc/OSu  OU/TCU

Pretty good analogy. This way I get to hear Urban Meyer cry like a little.....never mind, I'll stop at cry.
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on December 16, 2017, 04:42:11 pm

Who has Bama beat this year? 

Way it is now conference games don't mean much.  Make it a conference championship play in and every week is a war.

If 8-3 Penn State puts out tha 11-1 OSU so be it....

I'm not going to re-hash what I have already said much earlier in this thread. Yes, the evaluation should involve not only wins, but SOS as well. If Alabama doesn't make the cut, just like any other team, they shouldn't be in the top 8 in this concept.
Go Hogs Go!

Dudeman

I like the 4 team playoff. If it gets expanded to 8 then it just feels less exciting to me. I like how interesting the regular season is with it being only four teams. I could handle what someone in another post earlier suggested by having the top 2 teams getting a by and 3 4 5 6 teams playing their way in.
Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dudeman on December 16, 2017, 05:15:45 pm
I like the 4 team playoff. If it gets expanded to 8 then it just feels less exciting to me. I like how interesting the regular season is with it being only four teams. I could handle what someone in another post earlier suggested by having the top 2 teams getting a by and 3 4 5 6 teams playing their way in.

I can't imagine why less competition would be more exciting than more competition.
Go Hogs Go!

Josh Goforth

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 16, 2017, 05:27:15 pm
I can't imagine why less competition would be more exciting than more competition.
it dilutes it. Does the 4 team format not sufficiently do the job of crowning the national champion? If you want to be champion, do the things necessary to get in the playoffs. 4 is plenty.
This is fun, isn't it.

IronHog

Quote from: Josh Goforth on December 16, 2017, 05:37:30 pm
Yep 6 is where I think they should go next with byes.

You could do that with the current P5 champs and one at large.

Preferribly a G5 team 😎

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 08:35:01 am
We had an 8 team playoff already. Aub/GA  Miami/Clem Wisc/OSu  OU/TCU

with the winners playing Alabama?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRRandy on December 16, 2017, 05:44:39 pm
it dilutes it. Does the 4 team format not sufficiently do the job of crowning the national champion? If you want to be champion, do the things necessary to get in the playoffs. 4 is plenty.

Agree.  I dont see the likes of Miami, ND, or Wisky on the same level as the 4 already in the playoff.  tOSU and AU would at least be handfuls.

I'm good with 4 teams, but have always liked the 6 team idea with the top 2 getting first round buys.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Dr. Starcs

IronHog

EastexHawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2017, 04:51:09 pm
And I'm saying I'm fine with that, but it would just put more pretenders into the fold.

Pretenders?  How do we know who the pretenders are since there is no verifiable way of knowing which conferences are strongest?  How do we KNOW that a one loss team from one conference is better than a two loss team from another?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 16, 2017, 11:32:06 pm
Pretenders?  How do we know who the pretenders are since there is no verifiable way of knowing which conferences are strongest?  How do we KNOW that a one loss team from one conference is better than a two loss team from another?

This is a good question and one which is difficult to answer.

If you listed the top 10 teams according to the CFP Committee and then went through their schedules awarding:

+30 points for every win over a ranked team (at the time that they were played)
-10 points for every loss to a ranked team
+10 points for every win over an unranked team
-30 points for every loss to an unranked team
-20 points for every game scheduled with less than a G-5 level team

That might give you a pretty fair ranking. If we believe that we are what our schedule says that we are, that should produce as fair of an evaluation as possible, despite the differences in each P-5 conference.

As far as how those results would compare to the current CFP rankings, Alabama would be out and Wisconsin would be in at #4. The difference being Alabama having scheduled a team like Mercer for which they would be penalized -20 pts. 
Go Hogs Go!

okrazorback

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 01:25:06 pm
Can't do it under the current set up. I have long been a fan of 4 16 team super conferences. There are 130 fbs team, and a majority of them are just pretending to be fbs. They have to do funky schedule stuff to continue to meet fbs qualification numbers on attendance, and many of them draw horribly and are never going to have the resources to compete. So why not just go to 4 leagues?  Then you could have 2 divisions in each of the 4 leagues and the 8 division winners all make the playoff.

Until then all we have is a invitational tournament, done at the whim of the selection committee.

The NCAA cannot force individual conferences to invite members or consolidate though. That is up to the individual conferences to do. This whole "mega conference" stuff that people propose is just a pipe dream that will never happen.

You have to do it within the current setup.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: okrazorback on December 17, 2017, 08:23:23 am
16 is not too many

Depends on what you are talking about.

16 punches to the face is too many. 16 dollars in my pocket is too few.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: okrazorback on December 17, 2017, 08:23:23 am
16 is not too many

I'll disagree. 16 is too many for one simple reason, it won't ever get past the college administrators. They have always been against a play off system for the same reasoning, it eats into finals and it lasts too long.

I think you might be able to get an 8 team play off by them but only if we stop this foolishness of thinking that teams need 3 weeks to a month to prepare. If they went to a format where the first round of games was the Saturday before Christmas, Finals are over. Play the weekend of Christmas and the weekend after Christmas and everything is done and completed before classes pick up again in the second week of January. That would fit everyone's schedules.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 15, 2017, 06:01:53 am
No thanks. 4 is fine. If we go to 8 then some won't he satisfied so the answer will be to go to 16.

I think we could stop with eight and all but a few would be happy. 

But, all conference championship games would have to be dropped plus one game in the regular season to make room for the additional three games necessary to get to a NChampion.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 17, 2017, 12:25:18 pm
I think we could stop with eight and all but a few would be happy. 

But, all conference championship games would have to be dropped plus one game in the regular season to make room for the additional three games necessary to get to a NChampion.

No, CCG wouldn't have to be dropped. Those are usually played the first weekend in December. That leaves at least a one to two week span in between the last game that some of the 8 teams would play and the start of the play offs if they began the weekend before Christmas. Second round, weekend of Christmas, NCG the weekend following Christmas.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 17, 2017, 12:41:47 pm
No, CCG wouldn't have to be dropped. Those are usually played the first weekend in December. That leaves at least a one to two week span in between the last game that some of the 8 teams would play and the start of the play offs if they began the weekend before Christmas. Second round, weekend of Christmas, NCG the weekend following Christmas.

I was thinking of:
1.  Wear and tear on the bodies of college athletes/time out of classes and
2. Fan travel

the 1 and only

Moving to 8 teams is a joke . Has soon as you go to 8 Someone will be left out and the talk will move to 12 teams
molon Labe

Use your rights before you lose them

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 16, 2017, 11:32:06 pm

Why stop at a 2 loss team?  What about a 3 loss team?  Why don't we just do like Basketball and invite most anyone with a pulse?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: the 1 and only on December 17, 2017, 12:50:21 pm
Moving to 8 teams is a joke . Has soon as you go to 8 Someone will be left out and the talk will move to 12 teams

I think Sanity has a decent idea if we end up with 4 - 16 team super conferences.  The winner of each of the 8 divisions gets into an 8 team playoff.

Or the champion of each of the P5 conferences plus an invite to a 6th team for a 6 team playoff.  Top 2 seeds get a bye.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 17, 2017, 01:24:10 pm
I think Sanity has a decent idea if we end up with 4 - 16 team super conferences.  The winner of each of the 8 divisions gets into an 8 team playoff.

Or the champion of each of the P5 conferences plus an invite to a 6th team for a 6 team playoff.  Top 2 seeds get a bye.

My idea too

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 17, 2017, 12:41:47 pm

Makes more sense to have them as 1st round of the playoffs

Huge TV interest etc vs making them irrelevant

Augustus

Quote from: NEA_HogFan on December 15, 2017, 08:56:19 am
This is what I've been saying. 5 conference winners and the best G5 team.

Agreed. Take the P5 Champs and make the 6th spot either the best G5 team or a wildcard from P5

Take for example this year.  There's no way UCF is better than Bama, so we would have:

(not ranked in any order)
1. Clemson
2. OU
3. Georgia
4. tOSU
5. USC
6. Bama (wildcard - next best team from P5 and is better than the best G5 team)

It takes a ton of the BS out of the CFB Playoff Committee's arbitrary method for deciding who's in the playoffs, and eliminates most of the conspiracy theories and butthurt across fan bases.

You want to be in the Playoffs? It's simple.

Either:
1) Win your conference, and be eligible for post-season play
or
2) Be the highest ranked non-champion, either P5 or G5

Then, the CFB Playoff Committee's BS with regard to their ranking teams would only determine:
1)  How the 6 teams were to be seeded for the playoffs
2)  Which team would fill the 6th slot.  I would imagine that in and of itself would still cause quite a bit of butthurt & conspiracy theories.

I don't see any changes being made, anytime soon.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on December 17, 2017, 01:28:57 pm
Makes more sense to have them as 1st round of the playoffs

Huge TV interest etc vs making them irrelevant

CCG's will never be irrelevant particularly as they play into who may be going to an 8 team play off. Aside from that, people just pay a lot of attention to those, especially the SECCG. So the viewing audience isn't going to be any less interested. And no need for them to be the first round of a play off system.
Go Hogs Go!

playamade76

Bubba's Bruisers

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 17, 2017, 12:45:31 pm
I was thinking of:
1.  Wear and tear on the bodies of college athletes/time out of classes and
2. Fan travel

The max that any team would play under an 8 team format, even if they had a CCG, would be 16 games. That's the max and just one more game than is being played now.

There wouldn't be anymore out of class time than there is now if they played the week before, the week of and the week after Christmas. What you wouldn't have is 3-4 weeks of waiting.

If you think that fan travel is a problem with 4 games among 8 teams, just think about the idea of having 16 teams being involved.

8 is a manageable number and it allows even those with the most remote chance of being competitive with the top 4 to do so. The "any given day" factor? Plus, if you are in the top 8 you have had to play some pretty consistently good football over the course of the year and probably deserve a shot.

And I don't like the idea of anyone getting a "bye" like you would be forced to have with 6 teams. No one deserves a "bye" when this few teams are involved. This isn't the NCAA Basketball Tournament.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Didn't read the whole thread, but here's my 2 cents on the issue.

To accurately crown a national championship, you need a playoff format.

How big should the playoff be? It needs to be big enough that anybody who has a legitimate argument to be one of the top 2 teams in the country should be in the playoff. No matter how big the playoff is, there will be arguments from those who just missed the cut about why they should be in and another team not. That does not matter. Whether you have just as good a resume or even better than another team that got in is irrelevant. The only argument that matters is whether or not you have just as good an argument to be playing for the national championship if there was no playoff.

A four team playoff does not accomplish that feat. Most every year, there are at least 5 teams that have a genuine claim. Therefore, it is my opinion that an 8 team playoff is the best approach. It is very rare that there's a year where more than 8 teams could argue they should be ranked in the top 2. A six team playoff is another option as a good majority of the time, that value would capture every team it needs to as well. However, it isn't particularly rare for there to be 7. Maybe about one in ten years, perhaps a bit higher than that even. So, I definitely have an open ear to a 6 team playoff, but I think that format would miss out on teams that have a legitimate claim to be in the top 2 just a bit too often.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 17, 2017, 05:10:56 pm
CCG's will never be irrelevant particularly as they play into who may be going to an 8 team play off. Aside from that, people just pay a lot of attention to those, especially the SECCG. So the viewing audience isn't going to be any less interested. And no need for them to be the first round of a play off system.

So why is a team like Auburn punished for playing in the Championship game but Bama gets to sit at home and go to the playoffs?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on December 17, 2017, 06:06:13 pm

So why is a team like Auburn punished for playing in the Championship game but Bama gets to sit at home and go to the playoffs?

Auburn lost to an unranked team as well as 2 ranked teams and they played an opponent lower than G-5 status.

Alabama lost to Auburn and played an opponent lower than G-5 status.

Neither would be in the play offs by my ranking but Alabama would deserve more consideration than Auburn.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 17, 2017, 06:35:03 pm
Auburn lost to an unranked team as well as 2 ranked teams and they played an opponent lower than G-5 status.

Neither would be in the play offs by my ranking but Alabama would deserve more consideration than Auburn.

So Bama wouldn't make your 8-team playoff?  I admit I haven't gone back to find your proposed format.

oldhog63

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 17, 2017, 01:28:40 pm
My idea too
I don't like leaving out the other 60 or so FBS teams. I guess a separate division could be created for those. Even though not perfectly objective, I still like a few at-large teams for those one or two non-P5 teams that are having a dream season to be included in the playoffs. I think that would add a little excitement having non traditional power teams involved.

Cale

I think a 10 team would be good. 7-10 seeds play a play in game kind of like the ncaa tourney. 7-10 matchup and 8-9. Winner of those play in top 8.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 17, 2017, 06:35:03 pm

Needs to be settled on the field with conference games instead of ranking

Your method would maintain some inter conference matchups.  Mine would eliminate most of that

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on December 17, 2017, 07:23:34 pm

Needs to be settled on the field with conference games instead of ranking

Your method would maintain some inter conference matchups.  Mine would eliminate most of that

You aren't ever going to get away from rankings. Whether generated by computers, based on human opinion or a combination of both. Both of those take conference games, total games played, their evaluation of SOS and "quality wins" into consideration now and we are still relying on the opinions of the CFP committee.
Go Hogs Go!

Peter Porker

Quote from: hvsupastar on December 15, 2017, 08:56:33 am
I actually would prefer 12 like the NFL uses. 

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama

All get first round byes.  Matchups for round 2 will be made after round 1 with the highest seed playing the lowest seed. 

5. Ohio State vs 12. Washington
6. Wisconsin vs. 11. Miami
7. Auburn vs 10. Central Florida
8. USC vs 9. Penn State

That would make for a great month of College Football

And a bad regular season...just like the NFL.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hogsanity

For all of you saying 8 team or 10 team or 12 or 16, just when and where are they supposed to play all of these games? They are not going to do away with the ccg's, so are you saying start the following week, which is the 2nd Sat in Dec? A 6 or 8 team playoff is going to take 3 weeks, 10, 12 or 16 takes 4.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

oldhog63

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 08:34:26 am
For all of you saying 8 team or 10 team or 12 or 16, just when and where are they supposed to play all of these games? They are not going to do away with the ccg's, so are you saying start the following week, which is the 2nd Sat in Dec? A 6 or 8 team playoff is going to take 3 weeks, 10, 12 or 16 takes 4.
Make the championship games round 1, so at most there will be one more game. Make any at-large teams play the same week so all the teams play the same number of games.

hogsanity

Quote from: oldhog63 on December 18, 2017, 08:41:28 am
Make the championship games round 1, so at most there will be one more game. Make any at-large teams play the same week so all the teams play the same number of games.

How is that different that what we have now. The SEc, big10, bog12, and acc ccg's all had playoff implications. The sec and acc were in fact playoff games as the winner was in and the loser was out.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

oldhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 08:34:26 am

If the playoffs go to an eight game bracket, I would like to see the first round games to to played in the home stadiums of teams 1 - 4.  They have earned that advantage.  The remaining games to be played at neutral sites as is currently done.   

oldhog63

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 08:45:42 am
How is that different that what we have now. The SEc, big10, bog12, and acc ccg's all had playoff implications. The sec and acc were in fact playoff games as the winner was in and the loser was out.
Because the ccg's are not currently part of the play-off's. Winning your conference doesn't guarantee a spot in the playoffs. IMO, Bama actually benefits from not making the ccg as they get extra time to rest and heal.

hogsanity

Quote from: oldhawg on December 18, 2017, 08:45:48 am
If the playoffs go to an eight game bracket, I would like to see the first round games to to played in the home stadiums of teams 1 - 4.  They have earned that advantage.  The remaining games to be played at neutral sites as is currently done.   

Wait, you just said make the ccg's the 1st round, so which is it, you want 8 teams AFTER the ccg's or for the ccg's to be part of the 8?