Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

pa-32-300 checkout

Started by gotyacovered, November 14, 2016, 08:42:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

as most of you know i am in between airplanes... for the access to an airplane i joined a flying club and got checked out in the Cherokee 6... good honest airplane... going to be nice to have access to a 6 seater. i was a little surprised at its handling with a load... i had no issues landing it with me and the CFI in it... matter of fact, it was pretty much all greasers. we loaded a 260 pounder in the back forward facing seats... and it was quite a bit different... i didnt scare myself (of the CFI) but the landings were def not greasers... it was quite a bit more pitch sensitive with a little bit of a load in the back...  and i was over correcting and made a habit of flaring a bit high... we did all full flap landings...

also - i confirmed that i am neither a low wing guy, or a high wing guy... i just like airplanes.
You are what you tolerate.

john c

I'll bet the more you fly the Six, the more you will like it and you will start thinking about owning one. I haven't flown the T-tail version so can't speak to that. You are probably a Saratoga man.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 14, 2016, 08:42:22 am
also - i confirmed that i am neither a low wing guy, or a high wing guy... i just like airplanes.

I keep thinking when I finally do trade airplanes, I need to get a low wing, just so that I don't become so instilled in the high wings, to help broaden my skill set, and become a better pilot. 
I think I've made this comparison before on this forum, I used to rope quite a bit.  It's easy to get used to the same old roping horse.  If you ever get on another horse it feels unfamiliar, it takes time to learn the new horse's personality and quirks and decide whether he fits you or not.  It will also make you a better roper to rope off of a lot of different horses as opposed to sticking with the same one for years.  It also makes it harder to make the transition if you never branch out and get on something else.   
I feel the same way about flying airplanes.  A low wing airplane is unfamiliar to me, therefore I am not comfortable in them, all due to not enough time in them.  It's not that I don't like them, they are just unfamiliar to me, and I know if I could spend some time in them, I would get used to them, and it will make me a better pilot.  I'm even more comfortable in a high wing tail dragger than I am in a low wing airplane, and I know it shouldn't be this way.  I am a firm believer that the more planes you can log hours in, the better pilot you're going to be. 

I would love to have access to a 6 place plane a couple of times a year.  But for the majority of my flights, I could get by with something even smaller than my 182.  Sometimes I think I would like one of the larger cabin Mooneys (Not the M20C, but maybe M20F with speed mods or a J model), faster, lower fuel burn, and 90% of the time, there would still be at least 1 empty seat, and a lot of the time 2 empty seats. 
If I could find the ideal partnership arrangement, I'd love to have a C-210 or a Bo.  But the longer I go, I can also see myself settling in with that familiar old 182, and being reluctant to get on a different horse. 

You're becoming a better pilot by having access to the flying club's fleet. 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: john c on November 14, 2016, 04:41:35 pm
I'll bet the more you fly the Six, the more you will like it and you will start thinking about owning one. I haven't flown the T-tail version so can't speak to that. You are probably a Saratoga man.

i think my family will really like it--for sure... matter of fact, my wife always sits co-pilot seat, i am bet that might change. my biggest complaint is this particular 6 has a low useful load... guessing it has to do with the new(er) interior and A/C.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on November 15, 2016, 09:34:21 am
I keep thinking when I finally do trade airplanes, I need to get a low wing, just so that I don't become so instilled in the high wings, to help broaden my skill set, and become a better pilot. 
I think I've made this comparison before on this forum, I used to rope quite a bit.  It's easy to get used to the same old roping horse.  If you ever get on another horse it feels unfamiliar, it takes time to learn the new horse's personality and quirks and decide whether he fits you or not.  It will also make you a better roper to rope off of a lot of different horses as opposed to sticking with the same one for years.  It also makes it harder to make the transition if you never branch out and get on something else.   
I feel the same way about flying airplanes.  A low wing airplane is unfamiliar to me, therefore I am not comfortable in them, all due to not enough time in them.  It's not that I don't like them, they are just unfamiliar to me, and I know if I could spend some time in them, I would get used to them, and it will make me a better pilot.  I'm even more comfortable in a high wing tail dragger than I am in a low wing airplane, and I know it shouldn't be this way.  I am a firm believer that the more planes you can log hours in, the better pilot you're going to be. 

I would love to have access to a 6 place plane a couple of times a year.  But for the majority of my flights, I could get by with something even smaller than my 182.  Sometimes I think I would like one of the larger cabin Mooneys (Not the M20C, but maybe M20F with speed mods or a J model), faster, lower fuel burn, and 90% of the time, there would still be at least 1 empty seat, and a lot of the time 2 empty seats. 
If I could find the ideal partnership arrangement, I'd love to have a C-210 or a Bo.  But the longer I go, I can also see myself settling in with that familiar old 182, and being reluctant to get on a different horse. 

You're becoming a better pilot by having access to the flying club's fleet. 

i think you are right on all accounts gus...

its wild, my experience with the 6 has been a little surprising... the 'low wing guys' i talked to in the club before getting checked out dont like flying the 182 b/c "its harder to land' or "i grew up in a piper and they just fly better" etc. so i assumed the 6 would be easier (for me) to land... it wasnt eaiser, or harder for that matter, just different. which further backs up your point.

the 182 full flaps (or 20) for that matter will land itself... (for me)

the 6 (so far) is more 'high maintenance'  when you get into ground effect. with full flaps is has the flight characteristics of a rock - when you chop the power, its done flying.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 15, 2016, 11:48:08 am
the 6 (so far) is more 'high maintenance'  when you get into ground effect. with full flaps is has the flight characteristics of a rock - when you chop the power, its done flying.

This is exactly what I have noticed about the low wing Piper's I have flown  (Cherokee 140, 180, and an old Archer).  Constantly and gradually pulling power back all the way down to the wheels touching the runway. 

It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

john c

My favorite thing about a Six or Seneca was club seating for passengers, especially if they were less inclined to gaze out the windows. Two passengers in four seat club will spoil them. So will entry door.

My 182 experience is that it is about the cheapest plane I ever owned. Simply a great airplane. Friends with 206's said similar. If you want a really nice 206, Mission Aviation Fellowship has a few, very nice 12" wingspan models on their website for around $300. Christmas present to self?

gotyacovered

Quote from: john c on November 16, 2016, 04:51:33 pm
My favorite thing about a Six or Seneca was club seating for passengers, especially if they were less inclined to gaze out the windows. Two passengers in four seat club will spoil them. So will entry door.

My 182 experience is that it is about the cheapest plane I ever owned. Simply a great airplane. Friends with 206's said similar. If you want a really nice 206, Mission Aviation Fellowship has a few, very nice 12" wingspan models on their website for around $300. Christmas present to self?

flew again today... played around on 20 at txk and 16 at hope. winds were 210 11-20... it is an good honest plane and handles the wind very well... i wasnt really expecting it with that long body and dump truck handling characteristics, i didnt side load it one time...

i think my wife and kids will love it, guessing i might be the only one in the cockpit;D

i also noticed today the A/C doesnt work very well... kinda disappointing.

i do miss my182, but mainly its the ownership... just going out there, hopping in and going is great. lugging headsets, checklists, etc sucks.

useful on this 6 is 1114lbs. is that a little low for a typical cherokee 6?

bvillepig

Gotya   Congrats. 

Sounds real low on the useful.  Most of my experience was 1300-1450.

Just keep a little power all the way to the runway and you will grease most.  Does it have manual flaps or electric? 

Lol  I always was SP in front with everyone else in the back.

Wife, two granddaughters and a 100 lb black lab.

You will get where you keep the nose gear up like a fighter jet half way down the runway.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on November 17, 2016, 08:59:04 pm
Gotya   Congrats. 

Sounds real low on the useful.  Most of my experience was 1300-1450.

Just keep a little power all the way to the runway and you will grease most.  Does it have manual flaps or electric? 

Lol  I always was SP in front with everyone else in the back.

Wife, two granddaughters and a 100 lb black lab.

You will get where you keep the nose gear up like a fighter jet half way down the runway.

thanks! still in the mix on that toga... although I've parked all my money for now...

i wonder how much useful that A/C cost the plane...? i am disappointed bc i never really anticipated 6 full sized adults being able to fly, but, 5 would be nice... or 4 adults and my 2 kiddos... and it can work, but it'll be close.

manual flaps. it also has electric trim, but currently INOP.

my wife can get a little motion sick, i'll be curious if she will like the back a little better or if that'll make it worse. its weird, as long as she eats, its no problem... she has not gotten sick in the 300 or so hours shes flown, but def queasy a lot of times.

i have 15 or so landings in the 6... i bet 3-4 times i had the nose wheel off the ground in roll out for over 500'

it is fun to land... i flew with a different CFI yesterday to do some PTS stuff and he was very complimentary on my ops. told me i was properly trained - wish my pops could have heard him say it.

bvillepig

You will get comfortable with the useful load over time.  I flew mine at gross a lot with my family and 6 people. I could not tell any difference when it was just my wife and myself or fully loaded. In the summer you will eat some runway on takeoff.

The air cond on the toga cost about 70 lbs.

The great thing is the 102 lbs of fuel can be managed and it has incredible range.

I loved the manual flaps in my archer but had electric in the Saratoga.

My wife got motion sickness easily in cars. On our first flight when we flew up to take delivery in Kansas she got sick on landing.  It was a pretty bumpy flight.  She had not flown with me much in the Archer.  LOL There is a story behind that I will share some day.

However it didn't take long for her to acclimate to the Saratoga. There were only a few times in our over 1500 hours we put on it that she would get nauseated.  Mostly during the landing phase. She would move to the rear facing seats behind the pilot and co pilot and that seemed to help.  Up front she never got sick but there is some tail waggle on that long tail.

Does the Six have the Hershy bar or the tapered wing?

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on November 20, 2016, 11:26:26 am
You will get comfortable with the useful load over time.  I flew mine at gross a lot with my family and 6 people. I could not tell any difference when it was just my wife and myself or fully loaded. In the summer you will eat some runway on takeoff.

The air cond on the toga cost about 70 lbs.

The great thing is the 102 lbs of fuel can be managed and it has incredible range.

I loved the manual flaps in my archer but had electric in the Saratoga.

My wife got motion sickness easily in cars. On our first flight when we flew up to take delivery in Kansas she got sick on landing.  It was a pretty bumpy flight.  She had not flown with me much in the Archer.  LOL There is a story behind that I will share some day.

However it didn't take long for her to acclimate to the Saratoga. There were only a few times in our over 1500 hours we put on it that she would get nauseated.  Mostly during the landing phase. She would move to the rear facing seats behind the pilot and co pilot and that seemed to help.  Up front she never got sick but there is some tail waggle on that long tail.

Does the Six have the Hershy bar or the tapered wing?

I am unsure... it is a 79, if that helps...

bvillepig

November 20, 2016, 04:11:00 pm #12 Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 04:21:37 pm by bvillepig
If you get a chance text me a picture.   I think they changed wings in 80.