Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Shotgun

Started by root_hawg, October 09, 2014, 09:59:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

root_hawg

Looking to buy new shotgun... What would everyone recommend...duck, squirrel and turkey hunt

root_hawg

kodiakisland

Need more info.  What action and price range? 
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

root_hawg

12guage, semi...would like to stay under $1200

kodiakisland

In a 12g semi, I'm partial to the Berettas.  Not that I think they are the best out there as there are several good choices, they've just never let me down.  They digest any power level shell I've put through them and have very soft recoil.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rickm1976

Beretta, used (older) Remington, or Browning.  I say older Remington, because I keep hearing about poor quality control with Remington the past few years.  You can find a good used quality brand for well under $1200.  Beretta or Browning are hard to beat.  I bought a used R1100 a couple years ago for $450 that looks (and functions) like brand new.

root_hawg

I am thinking the 400 Xtrema Berretta

AllHog90

If you're gonna spend $1200, go ahead on up to the Benelli SBE-2. Otherwise, all you need is an 1100 Remington.

hawgon

Quote from: root_hawg on October 13, 2014, 03:49:29 pm
I am thinking the 400 Xtrema Berretta

You might consider a Franchi.  They are owned by the Beretta group and are the mid-range version of the Stoeger/Franchi/Benelli trio that all use that same inertial system.  Franchi was a fine old and proud brand in its own right before it was acquired by the Beretta group.  I think their stuff is as good as Benelli.  It just doesn't quite have the name recognition over here that allows Beretta to charge a premium for the Benelli.

ricepig

Quote from: AllHog90 on October 13, 2014, 03:50:57 pm
If you're gonna spend $1200, go ahead on up to the Benelli SBE-2. Otherwise, all you need is an 1100 Remington.

I shoot Benelli's, I highly recommend them.

ArchitectHog

Quote from: AllHog90 on October 13, 2014, 03:50:57 pm

Raised on a R1100.  Had a SBE-II for the last 4 years.  Never had one problem.  The reason I chose the SBE-II over any other is because of the inertia system when all others are gas operated.  Simple to break down and clean.  Light and rugged. 
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
Quote from: KEYS on October 07, 2009, 10:45:57 am
The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 13, 2010, 08:47:52 am
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

tophawg19

i have a browning gold that is a great gun but for price , i'd go with a used remington 1100. if i had to go with just 1 though , it would be the Remington 870 pump gun
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Tom in Fort Worth

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 12, 2014, 09:04:29 pm
1100 remmy.
YES. It's been around for a long time for a reason, probably mostly because its reliable and affordable. I don't personally own one simply because I already have a Mosseberg (835 I think) and an 870 express. My Dad owns one (as well as the rest of my family for the most part) and I love it.

hawgon

Uh...I don't even think you can buy a new 1100 anymore except in trap models and the smaller gauges.

rickm1976

Quote from: hawgon on October 13, 2014, 09:37:03 pm
Uh...I don't even think you can buy a new 1100 anymore except in trap models and the smaller gauges.

No, they're still making some of the regular 1100's in 12 ga.  I'd still look for a used one due to the QC issues I keep hearing about with Remington over the past few years.  I picked up an old 1100 12 ga that looks brand new for a great price.

DeltaBoy

Find a good used 1100 or Browning auto 5.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hawgon

Quote from: rickm1976 on October 14, 2014, 09:01:32 am
No, they're still making some of the regular 1100's in 12 ga.  I'd still look for a used one due to the QC issues I keep hearing about with Remington over the past few years.  I picked up an old 1100 12 ga that looks brand new for a great price.

I just looked.  You can only buy a really high end 1100 and competition models.  Remington's standard autoloading shotgun now is the 1187.

rickm1976

Quote from: hawgon on October 14, 2014, 10:57:44 am
I just looked.  You can only buy a really high end 1100 and competition models.  Remington's standard autoloading shotgun now is the 1187.

Now I see what you mean.  I figured the "Classic" and "Sporting Series" were plain old 1100's, but they're priced up there with the other high end models.  Those prices are ridiculous.  I think I may have $400 in my used 1100.  It looks literally brand new, with no bluing or stock wear at all - not a scratch, just perfect.  It operates flawlessly and I'd bet it hadn't had more than one box of shells shot through it before me.  I got really lucky on mine, but there are still plenty of good used 1100's out there.  The only drawback is most will only chamber 2 3/4" shells, but with the longer 3", you're not getting any more power, just more pellets.  To me, there is not enough difference to worry about or feel like I'm disadvantaged.

root_hawg

Still deciding, need to shoot 3.5

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

cc

Do not and I repeat DO NOT buy a Remington auto if you plan on doing much duck hunting.  The 1100 and 1187's jam all the time.  I had an 1100 and it was a single shot with duck loads.  Cleaned it every day and even replaced the o rings every day.  Other guys I know had the same problem and same problems with the 1187.  The 870 on the other hand is very dependable.

The Benelli's are great with the inertia driven recoil and are very dependable.  Mine has not jammed in over ten years.  My Dad's had one that never jammed in over 10 years and bought a new one two years ago.  He used to hunt 55-60 days a year and go through 2-3 cases a year.  The new Beretta has a very good gas system and are good as well.   After hunting with several guns and hunting with several different people, I would go with Benelli or Beretta.

CallThemHawgs!

Beretta, love their semi autos in that price range

DeltaBoy

A good used 870 will do you fine.   I had mine since 1982 !

kodiakisland

Quote from: root_hawg on October 15, 2014, 04:36:01 pm
Still deciding, need to shoot 3.5

Why?  Unless I was shooting geese on a regular basis, I can't think of a good reason to shoot the 3.5in shells.  Even then I probably wouldn't.

root_hawg