Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My new CC gun

Started by FORTVEGAS, March 12, 2013, 08:59:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FORTVEGAS

After months of shopping and changing my mind many times I finally pulled the trigger and got me a compact handgun to use as my carry gun. Its a Springfield Armory XDs .45acp. I bought it NIB for $549.95. Tell me what yall think.
The last picture is compaired to my S&W 9mm

FORTVEGAS

One more so you can see how thin it is.

Bam, Alright Now

Very nice gun! Have you shot it yet? If so, how do you like it?

HuntnHog

Nice looking pistol!  Congrats on the new firearm!

Harley_Hawg

March 12, 2013, 11:26:47 pm #4 Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:50:16 pm by Ironman44
My buddy just bought one. They are a fine weapon.

pigture perfect

I know you're getting lots of questions, but what is the magazine capacity on that?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 12, 2013, 11:43:45 pm
I know you're getting lots of questions, but what is the magazine capacity on that?
Probably 8 or 9
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

FORTVEGAS

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 12, 2013, 11:43:45 pm
The mag cap that comes with it is 5+1 and the mag is flush on the gun I just ordered 2 7+1 mags that extend the handle about an inch.

FORTVEGAS

Quote from: dk44 on March 12, 2013, 09:49:13 pm
Very nice gun! Have you shot it yet? If so, how do you like it?

Yes I have and I really like it. It does take some getting used to there is some recoil and it does buck in your hand pretty good. After I got used to the recoil I was shooting it alot better.

the_kosher_pig

Two things:
http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=34&categoryId=2
This should be almost mandatory.  You won't believe the difference in the shooting.  XD's have quite a bit of trigger length.  It's not a heavy trigger (I think stock they are in the 6-7.5lb range, but doesn't feel it) but it has a ton of travel.  This cuts it in half.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/
This will make you spend more money. lol 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

irishman

Never had that model but I've had a great experience with my XD.

FORTVEGAS

cdohogfan

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on March 13, 2013, 03:55:13 pm
Two things:
http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=34&categoryId=2
This should be almost mandatory.  You won't believe the difference in the shooting.  XD's have quite a bit of trigger length.  It's not a heavy trigger (I think stock they are in the 6-7.5lb range, but doesn't feel it) but it has a ton of travel.  This cuts it in half.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/
This will make you spend more money. lol 
Damn you! I don't make enough money to be spending more! And now I have another website for my fiance to get pissed at me about. lol thanks for the links! Just picked up an xdm 45 a couple of weeks ago. I love it!

Pudgepork

nice.   I'm trying to decide between and XD45 and an Ruger SR45.  I really like the
feel of the SR series so I'll prolly go that route but the XD is sweet also

FORTVEGAS

I love rugers and I own an sr45 great gun, im looking for a sr1911 4.25. Rugers are great quality for a great price and made in the USA.

woodrow hog call

I guess I have the big brother to that one, mine is the XDM Tactical and it holds 13 in the clip.
I absolutely love mine, it shoots fine and feels great.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

tophawg19

the price increases in hand guns is crazy . is there anything on the market under 200 anymore ? when did they start climbing so fast
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Razorback7281

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 14, 2013, 02:19:35 pm
the price increases in hand guns is crazy . is there anything on the market under 200 anymore ? when did they start climbing so fast

Guns and ammo prices started going up drastically in November 2008 when Obama won his first term.  When he won his second term last November the rise continued but what set everything into warp speed was the shooting in Newtown and the subsequent call for firearm and restrictions.  As has been posted in another thread there will be some great finds at estate sales in the next few years. 
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

FORTVEGAS

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 14, 2013, 02:19:35 pm
There are still handguns out there for 200, hipoint, sccy, turaus for an exta 100

tophawg19

i haven't had to buy in a while . what is sccy ? i have a Taurus that i love
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

deshahawg

Looks like a great gun!

DeltaBoy

Good buy and a great gun to boot.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

the_kosher_pig

If the OP (or anyone really) is around Pine Bluff they are more than welcome to try my trigger out.  That was the only thing that separated the Glock and the XD apart IMO.  The Glock has a smooth trigger, decent travel, and decent pull weight.  My XDm had a smooth trigger, LOOOOOONG travel, and was somewhat heavy........even if they are rated around the same (5.5-7lbs on most accounts).  I spent around 120 bucks for a drop in kit and reduced the trigger length by 50% and it's under 3lbs measured. 
Few other mods to it:
Trijicon night sites http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/sight-sets/tritium-handgun-sights-fits-springfield-xd-xdm-fxd--sku892-000-033-13165-51145.aspx
Tungsten steel guide rod http://www.pistolgear.com/proddetail.php?prod=CC-XDMT
Old Faithful Holster http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/

DeltaBoy

Yep Sigma's from Smith have a long hard pull but I got mine fixed for free by Smith right after I got it 8 years ago.  It breaks at 4.5 pounds now.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Filthy_McSwine

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on March 13, 2013, 06:20:11 am
The mag cap that comes with it is 5+1 and the mag is flush on the gun I just ordered 2 7+1 mags that extend the handle about an inch.

I bought a XDs about 6 months ago and the 7+1 mag makes it WAY more comfortable to hold.

FORTVEGAS

Quote from: Filthy_McSwine on March 21, 2013, 03:52:10 pm
I bought a XDs about 6 months ago and the 7+1 mag makes it WAY more comfortable to hold.

I am looking to get a couple of the extended mags but they are so dang expensive do u know where I could get one at a good price?

johnny cash

I like my glock 33 357 sig. Don't like paying for the ammo though.

95_alum

March 22, 2013, 04:31:43 am #27 Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:44:44 am by 95_alum
Quote from: johnny cash on March 21, 2013, 11:36:51 pm
I like my glock 33 357 sig. Don't like paying for the ammo though.

So why not switch out the barrel & mags & shoot 40S&W or 9mm out of it? Converting your 33 to 9mm is a no brainer. Empty beer cans won't know the difference, your wallet will.  ;)

Filthy_McSwine

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on March 21, 2013, 08:35:57 pm
I am looking to get a couple of the extended mags but they are so dang expensive do u know where I could get one at a good price?

Well, I bought it directly from Springfield, and as you pointed out, it wasn't cheap.  You can probably shop around and find a better deal.

johnny cash

Quote from: 95_alum on March 22, 2013, 04:31:43 am
So why not switch out the barrel & mags & shoot 40S&W or 9mm out of it? Converting your 33 to 9mm is a no brainer. Empty beer cans won't know the difference, your wallet will.  ;)
I do that already, just hate to pay that much for carry ammo. Hell 9 and 40 up too.

micali

Nice.  I have the Taurus 24/7 40 s&w.  I know some don't like this gun but I like it for the money.

GolfNut57

Quote from: micali on March 28, 2013, 02:14:29 pm
Nice.  I have the Taurus 24/7 40 s&w.  I know some don't like this gun but I like it for the money.

So is it a Taurus or a Smith and Wesson?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

FORTVEGAS

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 28, 2013, 10:00:00 pm
40s&w is the caliber and Taurus is the brand

Hogbody

My buddy just picked up an SD 40 as his first handgun. I like it a decent amount. Was hoping to check out some glocks with him, but none seem available lol

DeltaBoy

I have been happy with my 40 by S&W but the Old Charter Undercover circa 1968 in 38 special get carried the most.

DOGALUM

I'm looking for a Beretta 96 INOX    It's their stainless .40.   

Only found a couple of 96s around NWA and none in the INOX.  Found an INOX at Cabela's today but it is a 92.     

Anyone have any leads on one around here?
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

micali

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 28, 2013, 10:00:00 pm
Sorry its a Taurus that shoots the 40 s&w like stated before.  I lumped it all together.

bulldog04

I bought a Taurus PT740 in .40 s&w.  I really like it and the price was even better.  The only drawback is a long tigger pull which can be fixed.

Hogbody

Just got an M&P Shield 9

Now if I can find some ammo.......

Kenny Hawgins

Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

DeltaBoy

Boys I shoot 22 all the time and my 38 and 40 once or twice a year.

Albert Einswine

I got the exact same kit yesterday. Ran a few rounds through it and switched out the backstrap to the thinner one. Ran 20 more rounds after work this evening and shot it much better. It's the first striker fired gun I've ever shot and the trigger is going to take me some adjustment, I had a few flyers but it's blistering accurate when my concentration and trigger discipline is solid.

The only issues so far are on the operator, not the gun.

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on March 12, 2013, 08:59:33 pm
After months of shopping and changing my mind many times I finally pulled the trigger and got me a compact handgun to use as my carry gun. Its a Springfield Armory XDs .45acp. I bought it NIB for $549.95. Tell me what yall think.
The last picture is compaired to my S&W 9mm
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

They shoot great you just got to control it.

Albert Einswine

I'm accustomed to the heft and the smooth, sweet trigger of my 1911, I'll be just fine with a little practice.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

FORTVEGAS

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 25, 2013, 12:59:51 pm
I'm accustomed to the heft and the smooth, sweet trigger of my 1911, I'll be just fine with a little practice.
I know what your talking about with the trigger, I was hitting low and left all the time. I adjusted how i was pulling the trigger and started hitting center, Its just such a small gun you really have to remember your fundementals of shooting.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on April 28, 2013, 08:51:42 am
I know what your talking about with the trigger, I was hitting low and left all the time. I adjusted how i was pulling the trigger and started hitting center, Its just such a small gun you really have to remember your fundementals of shooting.

Same here, low and left. Me and the youngest son are gonna do some shooting today so I'll polish up the mechanics some more.

I shot it Tuesday afternoon as soon as I got home from the store and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn the first couple of magazines and instantly went into a fit of buyer's remorse.

Then I settled down and reminded myself of the facts that this gun has an excellent reputation for accuracy, I've never shot a striker fired weapon and that it was most likely me who was the culprit.

My second session was much improved with a change from the red fiber optic front sight to the green and better concentration on the trigger.  Still had a few low, left flyers but other than those few I shot a solid 3" group at 25 yards.

DeltaBoy

Every gun is just like a woman you got to learn how to hold them.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 02, 2013, 12:41:44 pm
Every gun is just like a woman you got to learn how to hold them.

Right, Delta.  One of the biggest difference's between them is.......when they start...."acting up"....women are not as easy to trade in for another model.....they seem to lose trade value faster than guns...
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

the_kosher_pig

Trust me, I still say the best upgrade for this gun is a trigger job.  Well worth the 120 or so dollars. 

95_alum

Had high hopes for the XD-S in 9mm, but after seeing multiple videos from ShotShow2013 confirming that the slide wasn't holding open after the last round, SA has some bugs to work out. It now appears that there are extractor issues with the XD-S 9. Spent brass is hitting the shooter in the face. Starts at the 1:03 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opmn9fF8IFM&feature=youtube_gdata_player