Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ken Starr's statement regarding Baylor's sheltering of rapists

Started by KennyForAD, August 24, 2015, 01:35:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyForAD

Starr, Baylor President, issued this generic political garbage Friday, after instructing Art Briles to keep his mouth shut...

"Acts of sexual violence contradict every value Baylor University upholds as a caring Christian community. In recent years we have joined university efforts nationally to prevent campus violence against women and sexual assault, to actively support survivors of sexual assault with compassion and care, and to take action against perpetrators.We have established and fully staffed a Title IX office that employs a Title IX Coordinator and two full-time investigators. Maintaining a safe and caring community is central to Baylor's mission and at the heart of our commitment to our students, faculty and staff."
http://nypost.com/2015/08/21/baylor-sheltered-football-star-for-2-years-until-rape-conviction/

Baylor tried to cover up a violent rape committed by a football star, and is still lying about having been informed of the rapists violent tendencies toward women by Boise State, which kicked him off their team before he transferred to Baylor.  This is NOT the first time.   Two years ago, another player was convicted of rape, and Baylor also sheltered that rapist, even though FIVE female victims came forward.

Baylor took away the VICTIMS scholarships, after they told Baylor that they had been raped by a football players ... both times.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/article/silence-at-baylor/

presidenthog

you are in the south football>morals. those "victims" should be grateful for the sexual blessings bestowed upon them by the football players.  /sarcasm

KennyForAD

Quote from: presidenthog on August 24, 2015, 01:40:37 pm
you are in the south football>morals. those "victims" should be grateful for the sexual blessings bestowed upon them by the football players.  /sarcasm

Sadly, that certainly appears to be the attitude at Baylor, the largest Baptist university on the planet.   :'(

thirrdegreetusker

For a faith-based institution of higher learning, this is as bad as it gets. I just can't understand the thinking process of these administrators.

PorkRinds

Is that the same Ken Star with the Clinton investigations claim to fame?

KennyForAD

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 24, 2015, 01:46:45 pm
Is that the same Ken Star with the Clinton investigations claim to fame?

Yep.

Notice how he didn't address ANYTHING that has happened?  And Briles said Thursday that he's been ordered to say nothing.   Sad thing is that Starr's 'lawyering' of this atrocity will probably work. 

Fan1958

Wow. 180 DAYS in the county jail and 10 years felony probation?  Might as well have let the dude walk. 

What does this say to others at this good ol' Southern Baptist institution?  If you are a female just let ol' Art's boys have their way with ya?  If not, in addition to the humiliation and emotional scarring when the assault takes place, you will once again be assaulted in the court room.

And people wanted this guy to be the coach at the University of Arkansas. 

Wonder if he can serve his 180 during the week so he can play on the weekend.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

KennyForAD

Quote from: Fan1958 on August 24, 2015, 01:51:18 pm
Wow. 180 DAYS in the county jail and 10 years felony probation?  Might as well have let the dude walk. 

What does this say to others at this good ol' Southern Baptist institution?  If you are a female just let ol' Art's boys have their way with ya?  If not, in addition to the humiliation and emotional scarring when the assault takes place, you will once again be assaulted in the court room.

He got lucky with the jury that convicted him.  They gave him probation.  The judge tacked on the maximum jail sentence allowed, as a condition of probation.

presidenthog

honestly being on felony probation isn't like it's a slap on the wrist. he is a felon now. he is no longer a citizen. he is now government property and a second rate human. he might as well kill himself because he has no future. even if he changed his ways and did his very best to make up for this. his life is over. no one will hire felons or even let them rent an apt. he might as well just commit some other crime so he can have somewhere to sleep in a jail. this is the truth.

GuvHog

Quote from: Fan1958 on August 24, 2015, 01:51:18 pm

Wonder if he can serve his 180 during the week so he can play on the weekend.

Baylor University is no longer connected to the Southern Baptist Convention, they separated themselves from the SBC some time ago.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Fan1958

Quote from: KennyForAD on August 24, 2015, 01:54:27 pm
He got lucky with the jury that convicted him.  They gave him probation.  The judge tacked on the maximum jail sentence allowed, as a condition of probation.

Wonder if any of the jurors has a daughter.  Unbelievable.  Most must have been asleep when the victim testified about the part this goon wedged her head between the bed and desk.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

Fan1958

Quote from: GuvHog on August 24, 2015, 01:58:14 pm
Baylor University is no longer connected to the Southern Baptist Convention, they separated themselves from the SBC some time ago.

Oh, OK.  Like that really matters.  A Southern Baptist missionary was the first full time fund raiser and was considered a third founder.

Anyway, at this point the SBC is most likely grateful for the separation.

Fan1958

Quote from: presidenthog on August 24, 2015, 01:58:05 pm
honestly being on felony probation isn't like it's a slap on the wrist. he is a felon now. he is no longer a citizen. he is now government property and a second rate human. he might as well kill himself because he has no future. even if he changed his ways and did his very best to make up for this. his life is over. no one will hire felons or even let them rent an apt. he might as well just commit some other crime so he can have somewhere to sleep in a jail. this is the truth.

Beside the fact.  He should be locked up where ha can't do this again.  This guy is a SERIAL RAPIST.  And as you point out, the real danger is the guy has nothing to lose.  So some other poor victim out there, and there is almost assuredly another victim, must go through the trauma and potential lifelong scarring, and the real possibility of being maimed or murdered, just because a gutless jury let the guy off on probation. 

I guess you can mess with Texas and get by with it.

Inhogswetrust

That is true but it is still considered a Baptist school by a lot of people and it describes itself as a christian school on their own website:

Here is the first sentence from it:

BAYLOR UNIVERSITY, A PRIVATE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY AND A NATIONALLY RANKED RESEARCH INSTITUTION

P.S. My wife's matron of honor is a graduate from there and she would even tell you for the most part it is a conservative religious school.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 24, 2015, 02:08:57 pm
That is true but it is still considered a Baptist school by a lot of people and it describes itself as a christian school on their own website:

Here is the first sentence from it:

BAYLOR UNIVERSITY, A PRIVATE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY AND A NATIONALLY RANKED RESEARCH INSTITUTION

P.S. My wife's matron of honor is a graduate from there and she would even tell you for the most part it is a conservative religious school.

They do consider themselves a private Christian University but covering up rape is not a Christian action.

In years past, Baylor University's legal name was Baylor Baptist University but they removed the "Baptist" part when they separated themselves from the SBC and became an Independent Christian college.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Fan1958 on August 24, 2015, 02:00:24 pm
Wonder if any of the jurors has a daughter.  Unbelievable.  Most must have been asleep when the victim testified about the part this goon wedged her head between the bed and desk.

Last week I had jury duty. I was dismissed from serving on a jury during selection on a 1st degree murder trial of a very young child while the child was abused. Believe me those things can matter. The judges instructions and the attorneys questions for both the prosecution and the defense were very interesting to say the least.

P.S. I also read this morning where the jurors that were selected found him guilty.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HamIAm

Quote from: presidenthog on August 24, 2015, 01:40:37 pm

This is not a southern problem, it's a national problem.  See Notre Dame for an example. Two players on the squad that played Bama for the National Championship in January 2012 were accused of rape and sexual assault. In both cases friends of the player or other players tweeted threats to the victims to keep quiet.  Lizzy Seeberg ended up committing suicide.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2012/12/04/why-i-wont-be-cheering-for-old-notre-dame/

Back in April of this year the US Education Department's Office for Civil Rights was in the process of conducting 97 investigations at 94 colleges and universities over concerns that the schools violated the gender equity law Title IX in their handling of sexual violence cases.  Besides Notre Dame a sampling of some of the non-southern schools included Washington State, USC, Colorado, University of Connecticut, Delaware, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Penn State, Temple and many more. In fact if you look at the map with the associated article linked below, there are fewer in the south than in other regions. On a per student basis there may not be a difference, but to infer it would not have happened outside of the south is wrong.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/07/barnard-college-title-ix-investigations_n_6432596.html

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on August 24, 2015, 02:17:17 pm
They do consider themselves a private Christian University but covering up rape is not a Christian action.

No kidding! I'd bet there will be some repercussions there for things that have happened and been said.

thirrdegreetusker

....or influential Baylor alums can get him pardoned at some point in the far future, if he plays well in the green and gold............

Hoggish1

Thank you for that irrelevant update.

presidenthog

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on August 24, 2015, 02:21:00 pm
....or influential Baylor alums can get him pardoned at some point in the far future, if he plays well in the green and gold............
doubtful. this is America. you have second chances til you are a felon. I'm not saying all of this for this Guys sake. I have a friend who has a felony against him because he caught his baby mama cheating on him. her reaction? go claim he beat her(false) and put a restraining order on him. he was gathering his things to move out and the cops came and arrested him and gave him a felony. his life has become infinitely harder. I'm sorry but lowly Baylor alums are not going to erase the permanent mark on that dudes life. he will be in and out of jail the rest of his life. we haven't heard the last of this guy more than likely.

KennyForAD

Correct.  He also has to register as a sex offender.  And.. the State of Texas did not want to grant him probation.  He'll have to be very careful to stay out of prison.

hogsanity

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on August 24, 2015, 01:45:10 pm
For a faith-based institution of higher learning, this is as bad as it gets. I just can't understand the thinking process of these administrators.

They appear to have sold their souls to have a good football team. Sadly a majority of hog fans ( fans of just about any d1 school really ) would do the same blasted thing.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

KennyForAD

Quote from: Fan1958 on August 24, 2015, 02:00:24 pm

I agree.  But, juries are unpredictable, and since he wasn't prosecuted in Idaho, that jury almost certainly knew less than Art Briles and Baylor did...

****  Also, she told Baylor what happened.  Baylor DID know about his past.  What did Baylor do after its 'investigation?'   They reduced her soccer scholarship, and claimed they suspended the player for violation of team rules  - but didn't actually suspend him.  In the previous rape investigation (where four other girls came forward), they took away that victim's scholarship too...     

KennyForAD

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2015, 03:09:55 pm
They appear to have sold their souls to have a good football team. Sadly a majority of hog fans ( fans of just about any d1 school really ) would do the same blasted thing.

Maybe.  But I kinda doubt it.   Petrino's mess boiled down to dishonesty and an affair.  That was more than we would accept, and its a far cry from Briles' actions.  After examining all that's happened at Baylor since that Basketball player murdered a teammate, its hard for me to even think of any school to compare it to..

hogsanity

Quote from: KennyForAD on August 24, 2015, 03:22:11 pm
Maybe.  But I kinda doubt it.   Petrino's mess boiled down to dishonesty and an affair.  That was more than we would accept, and its a far cry from Briles' actions.  After examining all that's happened at Baylor since that Basketball player murdered a teammate, its hard for me to even think of any school to compare it to..

More than a few hog fans would have gladly kept BP, and more than a few have said, on here in posts, they think cheating would be acceptable for a NC.

But, no, nothing has gone on here to rival what has gone on apparently at Baylor. I will not be shocked if Briles and others in the administration end up losing their jobs. Ray Rice punched his finacee, and now he cant get a job in a league known for giving chance after chance after chance to guys. This was 10 times as bad as just punching a woman in the face, as bad as that is, and then lies and coverups and bullying if the victim, yeah we have not heard the end of it yet.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jimmiewkersh

I was a Southern Baptist minister in Texas and attended the state convention when Baylor voted to leave the Baptist General Convention of Texas (the more liberal of the two Southern Baptist Conventions in Texas).  They became an independent university and cut all ties to their historically Baptist affiliation at that meeting.  They may claim to be a Christian university but then again so does TCU and SMU.  In a day when actions speak louder than words, who cares about Baylor.  They are a historically a below average sports school who will be a laughing stock again as soon as Briles leaves.

KennyForAD

Quote from: ScottFaldon on August 24, 2015, 03:53:43 pm
I'd say one basketball player killing another basketball player and the head coach trying to cover it up by trying to paint the victim as a drug dealer might be a hair worse.

That was what, 12 years ago?  Then they covered up a rapist football player who was ultimately convicted, 3-5 years ago?  Now they are busted for covering up for yet another convicted rapist?    If Barry Switzer ran an, "Outlaw Program," what do we call BAYLOR? 

20gauge

If this was my daughter I would own this school. Its not like he is accused now. He was found guilty and this school still left this young woman in classes with this guy. So she could not attend her classes and they took her scholarships away and she then had to transfer.

This is nearly the equivalent of Penn State. Baylor put the well being of their football program over the well being of this young woman.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 24, 2015, 04:47:25 pm
My opinion of Chris Petersen continues to go up. 

In the NY Post article linked by the OP he is quoted as saying he contacted Briles regarding the transfer of this guy, and stated exactly why he was dismissed from the Boise program. 

Interesting (refreshing?) to see a member of the coaching fraternity refuse to cover for one of their own on something like this.

Right.  Sounds like Petersen is shocked by Briles' conduct.  As he should be...

Großer Kriegschwein

While this is quite the normal downward spiral of most felons, it is by no means the complete mold they all must fit in. I know some that have done their time, made reparations, lived good lives in public service and had their rights restored by the courts. It all depends on what you are prepared to do to be a contributing member of society.

That being said, none of them were sexual predators.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hog N Bama

This is kinda like those goody 2 shoes politicians that campaign against everything that they just got caught doing. :P

Trottsky

Danny J

Quote from: 20gauge on August 24, 2015, 04:43:43 pm
If this was my daughter I would own this school. Its not like he is accused now. He was found guilty and this school still left this young woman in classes with this guy. So she could not attend her classes and they took her scholarships away and she then had to transfer.

This is nearly the equivalent of Penn State. Baylor put the well being of their football program over the well being of this young woman.
Yep....huge lawsuit coming and it will be settled out of court for A LOT of $$$$$$$$$$

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Trottsky on August 24, 2015, 05:04:54 pm
Ken Starr, ever the shining example of justice.

Ken Starr...The investigator, whitewater, a cigar, and the blue dress.

Where did those righteous values go?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Danny J on August 24, 2015, 05:07:15 pm
Yep....huge lawsuit coming and it will be settled out of court for A LOT of $$$$$$$$$$

probably worth a oil well, or 2.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!