Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to ... ?

Started by jbcarol, June 03, 2012, 06:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

... Reggie Johnson?

McGee had enough with UAB's poor defensive showing. UAB allowed 481 yards per game, last in the conference and 41.4 points per game, second-to-last.

So McGee made a change, demoting defensive coordinator Reggie Johnson and promoting inside linebackers and assistant head coach Jimmy Williams.

The first game of the Jimmy Williams era is on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. against an FIU team that's last in the conference in every offensive category.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/10/uab_head_coach_garrick_mcgee_s_6.htm
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Kidd-Gilchrist

Kidd-Gilchrist, a key player for UK's 2012 national championship team, acknowledges the disappointment of his rookie season. He averaged 9.0 points and 5.8 rebounds. Not bad, but nothing to put him contention for NBA Rookie of the Year.

"I was disappointed in myself," Kidd-Gilchrist said at the Bobcats' media day earlier this month. "It wasn't the losses. I like all my teammates and we bonded a lot. I was mad at myself. I set goals and I didn't reach any of the goals that I set. All my life I did that and last year I didn't reach one goal."

Kidd-Gilchrist set the goal of being Rookie of the Year. He didn't even make the NBA's all-rookie first team.

Kidd-Gilchrist has been working on his perimeter shooting, one of his most noticeable shortcomings last season. After not shooting well in a Las Vegas-based summer league, he began working on his shot with Bobcats assistant coach Mark Price. A sharpshooter for Georgia Tech and then in the NBA, Price looked to improve MKG's footwork and "fix" a hitch in the delivery and an occasional case of side-spin.

"He started with my footwork and from there it was just shooting the ball a lot," Kidd-Gilchrist told the Charlotte Observer. "I'm ready to shoot it at all times."

No surprise that MKG has diligently worked on his shooting. "I'm committed to him and he's committed to me," he said of the work with Price.

Through five games of this NBA pre-season, Kidd-Gilchrist has made only 32.1 percent of his shots and 55.6 percent of his free throws.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

November 03, 2013, 06:48:05 pm #204 Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:41:02 pm by jbcarol
... Zac Stacy

Jim ThomasVerified account@jthom1
How about that? The Rams finally have their first rushing TD _ Zac Stacy 3-yard run over left guard. Rams 7, Titans 7.

Dani Wex ‏@DaniWex 6h
You can't trust a guy with two first names but Zac Stacy can have the ball every down if I'm concerned. #stlrams #tennessee

Some use "Anderson" as a first name.

jbcarol

... former Bama QB Coach Ken Meyer

GULF SHORES, Alabama - Ken Meyer described his former boss, Paul "Bear" Bryant, as a disciplinarian. The most famous example of Bryant's discipline - the suspension of quarterback Joe Namath for the final two games of Alabama's 1963 season - was felt acutely by Meyer. He was Namath's position coach.

Meyer said he got the news of Namath's suspension from Bryant at an early morning meeting.

"He came in and said, 'Coaches, I've suspended Joe,'" Meyer said. "He didn't have to have any other name. He never said why. I'll tell you right now: I'll never know exactly why because he never said it and I never asked.

"He said, 'I've already suspended Joe, but I want to get your opinions.' Well ..."

Meyer said Bryant asked all the assistants what they thought, and one suggestion was that Bryant let Namath's teammates decide if he should be suspended.

"He practically laughed at that one," Meyer said. "Forget it."

Fast forward to the 2013 season and Alabama's opponent on Saturday, LSU: Tigers coach Les Miles came under criticism during the preseason for allowing suspended running back Jeremy Hill back on the team.

After Namath's suspension, Bryant and Meyer turned their attention to getting backup Steve Sloan up to speed...

Meyer said he remembered the way that Bryant described Namath before his first spring practice as a Crimson Tide assistant.

"He said, 'We got a sophomore quarterback that ain't too bad. He's coming along pretty good,'" Meyer said. "That was Joe Namath. 'Yeah, I think he's going to be pretty good.' I said, 'He sure is.'"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/bryant_practically_laughed_at.html

Meyer went on to a long career as an assistant and briefly as a head coach in the NFL. He coached Namath again with the Jets.

jbcarol

jbcarol

...Big Baby

The Orlando Magic say they have fined forward Glen "Big Baby" Davis an undisclosed amount after he threw a front desk computer keyboard while at a local motel early Saturday.

Syan Rhodes@SyanRhodes
Orlando Magic announce they've fined Glen "Big Baby" Davis and "undisclosed amount" after his meltdown at a local motel last weekend.

jbcarol

Andy Shain ‏@AndyShain 12 Nov
Kenny Miles shooting story updated with statements from the former Gamecock running back http://www.thestate.com/2013/11/12/3093713/sheriff-holding-afternoon-press.html ...

Quote"Last week I made a big mistake by not being up front about how the shooting occurred. I was not involved in any criminal activity. However, I was scared and worried how my actions would be perceived. I only made matters worse by not telling the truth. I make no excuses for my behavior.

"I would like to apologize to Sheriff Leon Lott and the entire Richland County Sheriff's Department; my employer, The Office of the Attorney General; my team mates and coaches; The University of South Carolina community; friends, family; fans; and anyone else I've disappointed.

"I appreciate the support and prayers of the Gamecock Nation. I want you to know that I do not take your support lightly or for granted. I only hope that you will forgive me and allow me to earn your trust back over time."

jbcarol

... Michael Dixon

Michael Dixon is at a new school with a new chance, but he still knows the Missouri football schedule and can talk to you all day about his old school. He talks to guys from that old life, too. Even some who are still there. Former teammates. Staffers. Even the head coach.

Dixon is here at Memphis, a key player on a nationally ranked basketball team with a second chance that took six months, three athletic directors, two universities and a team of lawyers to vet. He made mistakes at Mizzou. Mistakes he knows he must own. But he's different now, he says. Better understands the privilege of playing college basketball, for example. Has a steady girlfriend, which is a big change...

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/20/4636870/michael-dixon-says-hes-matured.html

jbcarol

the day the games were quiet?

News-Sentinel: 24 hours after the JFK assassination Tennessee played UK in Lexington.
H/T: govolsxtra

jbcarol

... keeping little brother in their place

Scarblog: There will never be another Iron Bowl like 1989

QuoteTo borrow Pat Dye's historical parallel, the day Alabama played football in Auburn for the first time was this state's less violent but no less political fall of the Berlin Wall.

"What made me think of the Berlin Wall was the look in people's eyes as we walked down the street during Tiger Walk," Dye said in 1999 on the 10-year anniversary of both historic occasions.

"The hunger, the relief, the expression they had on their faces. I never saw anybody when the wall came down, but I imagined that they'd have the same look as those Auburn people that had been freed and let out of exile."

The emotion that cold day was so raw, vivid and visible that several Auburn players, including a pickup truck of a tailback in James Joseph, hyperventilated during the pregame Tiger Walk. Inside Jordan-Hare Stadium, the gray sky turned blue with the mist of shakers shaken with such force they turned into confetti launchers.

"They were shaking those damn shakers so hard it was like a blue smoke, a blue fog, rising up out of the stadium," Dye said.

Birmingham News Archive

jbcarol

... former Auburn walk-on golfer, Jason Dufner

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 43m
No luck: Jason Dufner petitions wife, Tiger Woods to see SEC title game instead of playing golf http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/12/no_luck_jason_dufner_petitions.html ...

jbcarol

... A Jeffrey

NFL ‏@nfl 1 Dec
Alshon Jeffrey hauls in one of the sickest TDs you'll see in 2013.

MUST-SEE: http://on.nfl.com/188HeeR

He's slimmed down some.

jbcarol

... Honey Badger

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 15h
RT @ProFootballTalk Bruce Arians: Tyrann Mathieu "appears" to have torn ACL
http://wp.me/p14QSB-9m5M  #LSU

jbcarol

... former SEC Bad Boy whose heart grew 10-12 sizes bigger that day

ABC News 10: Sacramento Kings Center DeMarcus Cousins treated more than 100 kids to a shopping spree at the Natomas Walmart Tuesday evening. More than 100 volunteers, from the Kings and Wells Fargo, helped the kids spend their $150 on clothes, toys and anything their hearts desired. The kids come from low-income backgrounds and are part of various organizations across Sacramento. Cousins walked around the store with some of the children, took pictures with others and treated them all to some food...

http://www.news10.net/news/photo-gallery.aspx

jbcarol

... Vol basketball star Dyron Nix is dead at 46.

Nix had been recently hospitalized for pneumonia...

Nix ranks eighth on UT's all-time scoring chart, with 1,877 points from 1985-89.

He led the SEC in rebounding in 1986-87 as a sophomore at 10.1 per game.

Then he led the league in scoring as a junior in 1987-88 at 22.2 points a game.

Quote"I can honestly say Dyron was one of the most dynamic players I ever coached,'' former UT coach Don DeVoe said Sunday night.

Following Nix's senior year, he was drafted by the Charlotte Hornets but lasted only one year in the NBA, playing for the Indiana Pacers.

Nix then went overseas and enjoyed a lucrative, decade-long career, mostly in Spain.

He had made the Atlanta area his home since retiring from basketball in 2000.

Nix was a natural selection to the Vols' All-Century team in 2009.

Nix had been married to Shawn Moore, a track athlete he met at UT.

jbcarol

jbcarol

...  former SEC athletes being named SI Sportsman of the Year

Peyton Manning becomes the first former SEC athlete to get the honor as a pro athlete.

Pat Summitt was co-winner in 2011.

jbcarol

... Vandy QB Jay Cutler

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 2h
Congrats to QB Jay Cutler on becoming the Chicago Bears all-time leader in passing yards.

And then he throws a pick-six.

jbcarol

... Vol lead guard Rodney Woods

Nothing like this has ever happened before. A high school in Kentucky will name the basketball court and gymnasium for a former Tennessee guard.

"This is special," said Woods. "They don't normally put your name on a building until you are dead."

QuoteRodney Woods was a shooting star at Lone Jack High in Fourmile, Ky., before he ran the floor for Ray Mears' Volunteers.

He was a coach-in-waiting while in college and has followed that dream for 38 high school seasons, at Powell Valley, Corbin and for 28 years at Wayne County High in Monticello. He will be honored there on Jan. 4. Clinton High will go north to help with the celebration.

Condredge Holloway and Los Angeles Dodgers pitching coach Rick Honeycutt, former baseball teammates with Woods at UT, are on the guest list.

Woods, 61, is going strong. His career record is 770-375 and he has another fine team. A son, Landry, is a key player. An older son, Peyton, was in a previous group.

Rodney had the best ever season at Lone Jack long before the three-point line. His 1,001 points remain 17th in the Kentucky high school record book. He is still fourth all-time with 416 field goals.

The University of Kentucky showed interest.

"Coach Joe B. Hall came to see me twice."

Rodney concluded he was a secondary choice, in reserve in case UK missed a primary recruiting target.

"When Coach Mears visited our home, he said if I came to Tennessee as point guard, the Volunteers would lead the Southeastern Conference in scoring."

That did not match Mears' reputation for bouncing the ball and slowing the game.

"I took him at his word and it happened. We led the SEC, 1972-75."

Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld were factors.

"They teased me about wanting to carry my books to class. They wanted the basketball and I had it."

Former guard Bill Justus once said Mears was closer to Rodney Woods than any other Volunteer.

He may be Monticello's most famous citizen.

Mayor Jeffrey Edwards says Woods is a great asset.

"Coach Woods is about more than just wins on the court, although he has plenty of them. He is about getting the most out of his players and preparing them for the future and also helping to bring a community together in the process."

Bernard King's "30 for 30" show put Woods back near the spotlight. There was a lot of town talk. In some places, being on TV is still a big deal.

"Some may not have known I played basketball."

Monticello is in South Central Kentucky near Lake Cumberland and the Tennessee state line.  Lone Jack High is in the Eastern Kentucky mountains near the Kentucky-Tennessee border and closer to Knoxville than Lexington.

jbcarol

... Chandler Parsons

Mark Berman@MarkBermanFox26
Chandler Parsons shaved his head to be like his friend 7-year old Patrick who has stage 4 cancer...

jbcarol

... Marcell Dareus

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 12h
RT @Mark_Heim: Bills bench former Alabama star Marcell Dareus for second straight week for violating team rules. http://tinyurl.com/ndvbq66

jbcarol

... Al Horford

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 4h
Tough break for Al Horford. Was having All-Star season for Hawks. Done for season due to torn pec.

Horford has had durability issues of late, but when healthy, is one of the most underrated big men in the NBA.

jbcarol

... former Alabama kicker Leigh Tiffin

Tiffin watched the Auburn game on TV and said he's ''sure nobody feels worse today than Cade Foster.'' Tiffin said some criticism comes with the position.

''The cruelty and a lot of the things are said in the heat of the moment after the game,'' said Tiffin, an All-American on the Tide's 2009 national championship team. ''Anybody that plays the position is going to have to take flak when they don't perform up to standards. You've just got to understand that most of the people truly don't have a full appreciation for what's involved in the position.''

Tiffin's toughest game at Alabama might have come in an overtime loss at Arkansas when he was a freshman.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/alabama-fans-teammates-rally-around-kicker-cade-foster-120113

Tiffin, the son of former Bama PK Van Tiffin, was assaulted in the wee hours of the morning in downtown Tuscaloosa in May 2009. Injuries to his feet, and right leg were minor and he was not robbed.

Tiffin had a rookie free agent opportunity with the Browns in 2010 but did not make the team.  He received an injury settlement.

His son, Van Leigh Tiffin III turned one this week.

jbcarol

... Stephen Garcia

Jefferson High School (Tampa, FL) standout joins the Storm
The Tampa Bay Storm acquired quarterback Stephen Garcia, announced vice president of football operations Jeff Gooch.

"The Storm is always looking for local talent that can make an impact on our roster," said Gooch.  "Stephen is from the Tampa Bay area and will help add to the level of competition at the quarterback position."

Garcia (6-foot-3, 230 lbs., South Carolina), a standout at Jefferson H.S. (Tampa, FL), enters his first season in the Arena Football League with the Tampa Bay Storm.  He began his professional football career in 2012 with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League.

Prior to turning pro, Garcia played four seasons at the University of South Carolina, starting in 35-of-40 games.  He finished his Gamecock career with 7,597 passing yards, 77 rushing yards, and 48 total touchdowns.  Garcia would end his South Carolina career third on the all-time list in passing yardage (7,597), attempts (1,021), completions (589), and passing touchdowns (47).

Garcia prepped at Jefferson and finished his high school career having completed 506-of-821 passes for 8,081 yards and 83 touchdowns.  He would lead the Dragons to a playoff appearance in each season.  Garcia graduated as the all-time Hillsborough County leader in passing yards (8,081), completions (506) and touchdowns (83), and third in the state for career passing yards and sixth in touchdown passes.

http://www.tampabaystorm.com/news/detail/tampa-bay-adds-qb-stephen-garcia

Garcia failed his last South Carolina drug test the same week his grandfather died and he lost his starting job to Connor Shaw in Oct. 2011. He missed one last trip to Fayetteville.

jbcarol

... Eric Bledsoe

Phoenix Suns announced that Eric Bledsoe will need knee surgery and will be out indefinitely.

Sources tell ESPN that Bledsoe will undergo a procedure to repair cartilage in his right knee after suffering meniscus damage...

Bledsoe had been averaging 18 points (up from 8.5 last season), 5.8 assists, and 4.3 rebounds per game...

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/nba-cats/eric-bledsoe-to-have-knee-surgery-out-indefinitely

Bledsoe was one of SEC Basketball's version of "The Blind Side", a player homeless at times, assisted by others and then put under scrutiny for receiving impermissible benefits and grade alteration.

jbcarol

Scott Kennedy ‏@ScoutKennedy 6h
Former #1 WR Dorial Green-Beckham is on the fast track to becoming "Whatever happened to THAT guy?" http://www.columbiatribune.com/blogs/behind_the_stripes/missouri-wr-dorial-green-beckham-arrested/article_04ea4ffa-7ad0-11e3-92e7-0019bb30f31a.html ...

jbcarol

... Spencer Ware

Jacques Doucet ‏@JacquesDoucet 4h
"@KIRO7Maria: "@seattletimes: Seahawks rookie Spencer Ware arrested and booked for driving while intoxicated: http://seati.ms/JSMcDC " #LSU"

QuoteAccording to King County Jail booking records, Seattle rookie running back Spencer Ware was arrested and booked for driving while intoxicated early Sunday morning.

Ware is a rookie from LSU who played in the first two games of the season before suffering an ankle injury and being placed on Injured Reserve.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on January 07, 2014, 03:43:22 pm
... Stephen Garcia

Jefferson High School (Tampa, FL) standout joins the Storm
The Tampa Bay Storm acquired quarterback Stephen Garcia, announced vice president of football operations Jeff Gooch.

"The Storm is always looking for local talent that can make an impact on our roster," said Gooch.  "Stephen is from the Tampa Bay area and will help add to the level of competition at the quarterback position."

Garcia (6-foot-3, 230 lbs., South Carolina), a standout at Jefferson H.S. (Tampa, FL), enters his first season in the Arena Football League with the Tampa Bay Storm.  He began his professional football career in 2012 with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League.

Prior to turning pro, Garcia played four seasons at the University of South Carolina, starting in 35-of-40 games.  He finished his Gamecock career with 7,597 passing yards, 77 rushing yards, and 48 total touchdowns.  Garcia would end his South Carolina career third on the all-time list in passing yardage (7,597), attempts (1,021), completions (589), and passing touchdowns (47).

Garcia prepped at Jefferson and finished his high school career having completed 506-of-821 passes for 8,081 yards and 83 touchdowns.  He would lead the Dragons to a playoff appearance in each season.  Garcia graduated as the all-time Hillsborough County leader in passing yards (8,081), completions (506) and touchdowns (83), and third in the state for career passing yards and sixth in touchdown passes.

http://www.tampabaystorm.com/news/detail/tampa-bay-adds-qb-stephen-garcia

Garcia failed his last South Carolina drug test the same week his grandfather died and he lost his starting job to Connor Shaw in Oct. 2011. He missed one last trip to Fayetteville.

SC AD Eric Hyman: With Stephen Garcia, 'it was always blaming somebody else'

Eric Hyman has dealt with criticism at Texas A&M like he did at South Carolina.

Both centered on the star quarterbacks. And there was a lot of misinformation in both cases, Hyman said.

QuoteHyman's biggest critics at USC continue to gripe about how Stephen Garcia's checkered career finally ended...

The final straw of Garcia's case, the only chance of six where he didn't get a reprieve, came midway through the 2011 season, when a random substance abuse test returned positive. Garcia, speaking on Clay Travis' podcast in October, claimed that the random tests stopped before the 2011 season and mysteriously re-started the week after USC lost to Auburn, the same time Garcia's grandfather had died.

Garcia admitted he had some drinks. The next morning, he was asked to submit by the screener.

"I shouldn't have put myself in that position. All of a sudden, after we lose to Auburn, I get popped with a random test," Garcia said. "It was very odd."

Hyman didn't dispute that Garcia failed the test. He denied the conspiracy theory that the random tests re-started after the loss.

"There's no truth to that whatsoever," Hyman said. "If somebody did that, they did it without me knowing it."

Garcia, Hyman said, reminded him of his brother. Jon Hyman was suspended from West Point for a year, but turned himself around. He created Softspikes, plastic golf cleats that replaced metal ones, and became very successful.

But where Hyman's brother recognized his failures and corrected them, Garcia never did.

"I wasn't the one that kicked him off the team. He kicked his own self off the team," Hyman said. "There was a contract drawn up, and it wasn't my decision. He knew what he was doing, it was his decision. But people want to blame everybody else."

Hyman said he viewed every student-athlete as if they were his son or daughter. He had to call Jadeveon Clowney in for a conference early in Clowney's career about his academic responsibilities, and Clowney listened.

With Garcia and his father, there were numerous conversations and not much change.

"My role was to try and help him," Hyman said.

"The thing is, with Stephen, eventually, you have to hold people accountable. Stephen had a huge amount of potential, very charismatic, and South Carolina fans connected with him. But when Stephen did things, it was always blaming somebody else."

jbcarol

... Cap'n Munnerlyn

Former Murphy High School football and track standout Captain Munnerlyn still was wearing his Carolina Panthers uniform in the locker room at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C., on Sunday after most of his teammates had left for home.

"I really [don't] know if that was my last time wearing that black jersey or not," Munnerlyn said. "I just had to take some time and get my mind together and try to move on."

The Panthers lost to the San Francisco 49ers 23-10 in the NFC semifinals on Sunday after posting a 12-4 regular-season record.

"It's just shocking that the season ended," Munnerlyn said. "I didn't want to take those pads off. We left some plays out there and didn't execute when it was time to execute. They made more plays at the end of the day."

It was the same story on Monday after the final team meetings. Munnerlyn lingered at his locker while his teammates cleaned out their lockers and left.

"It's very emotional," Munnerlyn said. "Words can't explain how I'm feeling right now. My mind is everywhere. I don't want to leave this locker room because I don't know if it'll be the last time I'm in this locker room."

Munnerlyn played the 2013 season after signing a one-year, $1.1 million contract with the Panthers, making him a free agent again heading into this offseason, but in a stronger bargaining position this time around. Munnerlyn's fifth pro season was his best. He started every game at cornerback for the Panthers, who finished second in the NFL in total defense for the 2013 season. Munnerlyn set a career high with 73 tackles, returned both his interceptions for touchdowns to give him a team-record five interception TDs in his career and equaled his career high by knocking down 12 other passes this season.

"I feel this year was a good year for me,'' Munnerlyn said.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/captain_munnerlyn_lingers_befo.html

He would prefer to stay.  7th round pick out of South Carolina in '09.

jbcarol

... Nerlens Noel

... the former Kentucky big man surprised a Lexington high school student with the trip of a lifetime last night. Braxton Upthegrove, a basketball manger at Henry Clay who is awaiting a kidney transplant, received a video message from Nerlens during halftime of a game at the high school Tuesday evening. Nerlens told him he is flying Braxton and his mother to Thursday's game against the Miami Heat and then they'll spend the weekend together playing video games.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/nba-cats/nerlens-noel-surprised-a-lexington-high-school-kid

Still recovering from ACL injury last season.

jbcarol

... Robert Horry

Former Lakers star Robert K. Horry was in a traffic collision Tuesday evening in South L.A. with a motorcyclist that ended with the biker being taken to a hospital with what were described as moderate injuries.

Horry, 43, was driving a 2014 Infiniti in the No.1 lane in "heavy traffic" and the motorcyclist, identified as 44-year-old Xerxes M. Baldonasa...

Horry won three of his seven NBA championships with the Lakers.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-robert-horry-lakers-crash-20140115,0,5846598.story

Horry helped Bama win 3 SEC Tournament titles.

jbcarol

... Jarvis Moss

Former Gator football player Jarvis Moss ate weed, police say

Former Gators football player Jarvis Jaray Moss was arrested Monday night after police said he tried swallowing marijuana during a traffic stop.

Gainesville Police officers arrested the 29-year-old UF student on charges of tampering with evidence and marijuana possession, according to an arrest report...

QuoteMoss told the officer he was eating food, but when he opened his mouth, the officer noticed large pieces of marijuana.

During questioning, Moss told officers he smoked weed earlier but denied eating it, according to the report.

Moss was originally recruited to Florida by Ron Zook, who coached the Gators from 2002 to 2004. However, it was under Urban Meyer that Moss excelled.

jbcarol

... Barrett Trotter

Barrett Trotter has found his place in football for the moment.

The former Auburn quarterback has tried a little bit of everything since foregoing his final year of eligibility to enter the NFL Draft process. After that didn't pan out, Trotter coached high school football at Briarwood and became an Arkansas State graduate assistant, only to make it to the NFL anyway.

Trotter is roaming the sidelines at Senior Bowl practices this week, part of his role as a scouting assistant and operations assistant for the St. Louis Rams.

"I just got a call about an opening they had with the Rams, went up and interviewed and met with them," Trotter said. "Ended up going up there at sort of the end of the spring, beginning of the summer."

Trotter, who finished up his Auburn career by coming on in relief of Clint Moseley and leading the Tigers to a win in the 2011 Chick-fil-A Bowl over Virginia, had been headed toward a career in coaching.

In addition to his scouting duties, Trotter serves as the advance point person for the Rams' road trips and helps coordinate the team's travel as he learns the scouting trade.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/01/former_auburn_quarterback_barr.html

The George Constanza of the Rams

jbcarol

... Jack Youngblood

The NFL Hall of Famer does speaking engagements and encourages fund raising to support the Florida Gators. He also recently spoke to Mike Bianchi on radio about Urban Meyer.

Meyer said he was leaving UF because he needed a break and wanted to spend more time with his family. A few weeks later, after getting a $1 million going-away bonus from UF, he was travelling the country as a college football analyst for ESPN. A few months later, Meyer was accepting the head-coaching job at Ohio State.

"When somebody tells me something to my face, I expect it to be truth," Youngblood said of Meyer. "When it turns out not to be the truth, that doesn't (put him) very high on my Christmas card list."

Youngblood, a Central Florida resident, then alluded to all of the players that were arrested in Meyer's tenure at UF and agreed that Meyer "used" the goodness of Tim Tebow and rode Tebow's coattails to the moral high ground.

"He (Meyer) said character was the No. 1 thing and the main thing he was recruiting on," Youngblood said. "That didn't happen. And then all of the stuff at the end of (his UF stint), there just was just no consistency to me."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/open-mike/os-urban-meyer-tim-tebow-jack-youngblood-gators-ohiostate-20140123,0,4729926.post

jbcarol

... Ryan Perrilloux

Former LSU quarterback Ryan Perrilloux has signed with the New Orleans VooDoo, marking his return to football.

Perrilloux is one of the most highly touted recruits of the Les Miles era, remembered as much as the hero of the Tigers' 2007 SEC Championship game as his May 2008 dismissal from the team. Since then, he's bounced from Jacksonville State to the Canadian Football League before returning to his home state.

"The opportunity to sign him and have him come play football (near) his hometown of New Orleans, it's a no-brainer," VooDoo coach Pat O' Hara said. "I'm looking forward to working with him and great (quarterback) competition in camp."

On Friday, Perrilloux is scheduled to speak with the media for the first time as a member of the VooDoo at a 3 p.m. news conference at Hooters (4748 Veterans Boulevard, Metairie).

http://theadvocate.com/sports/generalsports/8183468-123/perrilloux-signs-with-voodoo

Former 5-star out of LaPlace East St. John

jbcarol

... Jordan Rodgers

Former Vanderbilt quarterback Jordan Rodgers attacked his alma mater with an extremely long Twitter-based rant. 

Recently, Rodgers was not allowed in the Vanderbilt football facilities.  He was told he would have to pay a fee to use the school's new indoor fields.

"It's a shame but Vanderbilt will continue to be a stepping stone for coaches, a second rate program in the SEC and stuck in mediocrity b/c..

..of how the institution views athletics and treats their current and former players.  As a leader and starting QB during the emergence..

..and transformation of Vanderbilt into a contending and respectable program in the SEC I am ashamed at the treatment of some former players

..As I return to Nashville after my rookie year in the NFL I was excited to train at Vanderbilt with current players as well as pro day...

..and combine prep players. I have been throwing with current Vandy QBs and receivers and a receiver prepping for pro day. However, it has..

been a constant problem gaining access to the new "football" indoor facility during times it is "open use" I was turned away from the..

..indoor facility all together several times (even though the field was empty). After inquiring about the use of hte facility by active..

NFL alums and pro day players not currently enrolled. I was told I CAN'T use it unless I purchase a membership to the rec center!!!!..

http://mrsec.com/2014/01/former-vandy-qb-rodgers-eviscerates-alma-mater-right-signing-day

jbcarol

... Randall Cobb

Randall Cobb followed up his Broadway debut in "Rock of Ages" with an appearance on the Today Show this morning.  Cobb stopped by to tell viewers about his friendship with Tyson Wheelock, a 13-year-old boy who had fallen in with the wrong crowd.

Like Randall, Tyson was threatened by bullies in his school who urged him to pick fights with other kids.  Through Characters Unite, Cobb has mentored Wheelock to help him get back on the right path, and on behalf of the organization and GMC, presented Tyson and his mother with a new car.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/randall-cobb-helps-a-kid-get-back-on-the-right-path-and-gives-his-family-a-car

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michelle Marciniak ‏@mmarciniak3  34m
Excited for #VFL Peyton Manning @SuperBowl on @NFLonFOX - Great respect for @patsummitt & Pat's Foundation @WeBackPat pic.twitter.com/RptcHC64yA

jbcarol

... John Jenkins

Hawks guard John Jenkins underwent successful lower back surgery this morning. The surgery was performed by Dr. Hal Silcox from the Peachtree Orthopaedic Clinic.

Jenkins will undergo a period of rest and recovery, followed by treatment and rehabilitation, and will miss the remainder of the season.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog