Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cubs

Started by lefty08, May 04, 2015, 07:34:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

So Cubs fans, how's the season ending injury to Schwarber going to impact the Cubs this year? As a Cardinals fan, I don't think it will hurt them too bad. Their lineup is deep. Interested to see Cubs fans feelings on this though.

clutch

Oh and one other thing. Apparently Castro likes hitting in black pinstripes a lot better than he did blue. He's lighting it up in NY.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: clutch on April 08, 2016, 06:34:56 pm
So Cubs fans, how's the season ending injury to Schwarber going to impact the Cubs this year? As a Cardinals fan, I don't think it will hurt them too bad. Their lineup is deep. Interested to see Cubs fans feelings on this though.
The loss of power is a little concerning, but they should be ok. As BP pointed out, they're scoring a lot of runs without him.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

lefty08

Losing Schwarber definitely hurts, but we still have soler there to get regular ABs now, so it eases the pain quite a bit. As far as castro, that dude hit well in Chicago too. He is talented as hell, no doubt.

I'll be sure to pop in to say hi in yall thread when wainwright hits the DL.  Haha
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

hogcard1964

Quote from: clutch on April 08, 2016, 06:42:35 pm
Oh and one other thing. Apparently Castro likes hitting in black pinstripes a lot better than he did blue. He's lighting it up in NY.

I had a feeling they (the Cubs) traded the wrong ss.

clutch

Quote from: lefty08 on April 09, 2016, 09:58:33 am
Losing Schwarber definitely hurts, but we still have soler there to get regular ABs now, so it eases the pain quite a bit. As far as castro, that dude hit well in Chicago too. He is talented as hell, no doubt.

I'll be sure to pop in to say hi in yall thread when wainwright hits the DL.  Haha

Chill dude. Not trying to stir up any trash talking. I just enjoy talking baseball, even about teams I don't pull for. I find the Cubs interesting and wondered what Cubs fans take on the Schwarber situation was. If it will make you feel better to pop into the redbirds thread and talk about injuries then knock yourself out.

I'll give you a list to start with.

Peralta
Tejada
Pham
Pena
Lynn
Walden
Harris
Gonzalez

Fire away

Bigfoot

At 8-1 the Cubs are off to their best start since 1969.

Nice.

southarkhog06

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 13, 2016, 01:10:05 pm
I had a feeling they (the Cubs) traded the wrong ss.
yea that Addison Russell kid is such a scrub.

/sarcasm off/

southarkhog06

Quote from: Bigfoot on April 15, 2016, 10:13:08 am
At 8-1 the Cubs are off to their best start since 1969.

Nice.
definitely hot out off the gates, I hope this team has the mental makeup to deal with the midseason slumps/ fatigue of a long season.

pigture perfect

You can tell who I pull for by my avatar, but I really do like good baseball. The O's and the Cubs are sure fun to watch this year. I'm still thinking the Cards are the team to beat though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 15, 2016, 05:01:06 pm
I'm still thinking the Cards are the team to beat though.

While I hope you are right, PP, I must disagree. It is the cubs that almost all observers, fans, analysts, beat writers, Vegas oddsmakers (Vegas also had SFG with as good or almost as good odds as the cubs to win the NL) have tabbed as the team to beat.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

clutch

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 16, 2016, 07:15:41 am
While I hope you are right, PP, I must disagree. It is the cubs that almost all observers, fans, analysts, beat writers, Vegas oddsmakers (Vegas also had SFG with as good or almost as good odds as the cubs to win the NL) have tabbed as the team to beat.

I'd say the Cubs and probably the Pirates would both be the teams to beat in my mind over the Cardinals. The Pirates have been so good the past few years and I think they are about to the point where they are experienced enough to make a real push for a WS soon.

TheRazorback500

Arrieta and 3 home runs gets them back in the win column.

:razorback:

Do you wanna get Rocked?

DiamondHogFan

Ready to see Rizzo hit his stride. Bryant is starting to find his swing and once Rizzo does too it will be hard to stop.  Fowler has been huge to begin the year taking a little pressure off of Rizzo.  If all of these guys get in the groove at the same time, look out.  Such is baseball though, one guy goes 0-4 and another goes 4-4 then they do the opposite the next night. 

This is a fun group to watch and the confidence that our pitchers have right now must be through the roof with the almost constant run support (not sure what happened with the Rockies series).

Go Cubs Go!

TheRazorback500

April 19, 2016, 09:22:32 pm #214 Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:37:03 pm by TheRazorback500
One thing that's different about this team is their patience. Ever since the old WGN days with Harry Caray the Cubs always seemed to be a bunch of free swingers and it was frustrating to watch them squander scoring opportunities.
Now they work pitchers deeper into the count and have improved their hitting with men on base. I like the way the pitchers hit, also. Arrieta, Lackey, and Hammel have had key hits. This is a pretty good team.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

southarkhog06

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 19, 2016, 03:19:35 pm
Ready to see Rizzo hit his stride. Bryant is starting to find his swing and once Rizzo does too it will be hard to stop.  Fowler has been huge to begin the year taking a little pressure off of Rizzo.  If all of these guys get in the groove at the same time, look out.  Such is baseball though, one guy goes 0-4 and another goes 4-4 then they do the opposite the next night. 

This is a fun group to watch and the confidence that our pitchers have right now must be through the roof with the almost constant run support (not sure what happened with the Rockies series).

Go Cubs Go!
I didn't see game 1 but Chatwood was throwing absolute filth in game 3.

southarkhog06

I will take 2-1 at Busch all year long.

DiamondHogFan

Arrieta with No-No #1 this year.  Dude is dominant.

Oh, and he went 2-4 from the plate himself...

TheRazorback500

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 21, 2016, 09:12:05 pm
Arrieta with No-No #1 this year.  Dude is dominant.

Oh, and he went 2-4 from the plate himself...
Zobrist and Bryant: 7-11, 9 RBIs. Six players with at least 2 hits. They laid the wood to the Reds tonight.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on April 21, 2016, 09:33:49 pm
Zobrist and Bryant: 7-11, 9 RBIs. Six players with at least 2 hits. They laid the wood to the Reds tonight.
Hope they don't go cold the rest of the series.  Only needed 1 of those 16 to win last night.

Ahh...who am I kidding, it's the Reds. 

Did see a stat last night where there have only been 2 other no hitters thrown while scoring 13+ runs.  Both of those teams went on to win the World Series...

southarkhog06

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 22, 2016, 08:28:52 am
Hope they don't go cold the rest of the series.  Only needed 1 of those 16 to win last night.

Did see a stat last night where there have only been 2 other no hitters thrown while scoring 13+ runs.  Both of those teams went on to win the World Series...
You must be a closet Cards fan, otherwise there is no way you try to jinx us like that.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: southarkhog06 on April 22, 2016, 09:16:09 am
You must be a closet Cards fan, otherwise there is no way you try to jinx us like that.
After 100+ years, do jinxes really still matter?  It's time my friend, IT. IS. TIME.  Just hate that it is an even year...(throwing a jinx at the Giants)  ;)

And no, I am far from a Cards fan.  But I understand your reasoning. 

southarkhog06

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 22, 2016, 11:04:39 am
After 100+ years, do jinxes really still matter?  It's time my friend, IT. IS. TIME.  Just hate that it is an even year...(throwing a jinx at the Giants)  ;)

And no, I am far from a Cards fan.  But I understand your reasoning.
I was just messing with you, but yes it is time. I just cant help but be wary of anything.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 22, 2016, 08:28:52 am

Some stars do seem like they are lining up..

Do you wanna get Rocked?

DiamondHogFan

Bryzzo heating up...watch out!

Bigfoot

Final

Cubs 8

Reds 1

Productive 9th inning for the Cubs offense tonight. Four runs scored in the 9th inning alone on a Baez homer, Fowler double, Heyward double, and Bryant double.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Bigfoot on April 22, 2016, 09:49:22 pm
Final

Cubs 8

Reds 1

Productive 9th inning for the Cubs offense tonight. Four runs scored in the 9th inning alone on a Baez homer, Fowler double, Heyward double, and Bryant double.
Back to back to back doubles are just as good as back to back homers anyday.

pigture perfect

Looks like Bryant may be heading to the 15 day DL. Should know more soon.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TheRazorback500

MRI shows no damage to Bryant. Matt Szczur gets his first career grand slam in today's win over the Braves.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

DiamondHogFan

Looking good.  Need to keep widening that gap between us and that Pirates/Cards. 

I can't help but imagine a Cubs/White Sox world series game 7 with Arrieta/Sale....

pigture perfect

It very well could be a Windy City Series. I wouldn't count the Royals out yet, but Houston has the worst record in the AL at the time. Didn't see that coming. As for the NL, I see it coming down to the Cubs and whoever wins the west or Washington. Then it's a matter of who's the hottest at the moment.

hog.goblin

Don't rule out the Mets.  They have great starting pitching and capable hitting.

Bigfoot

After beating Washington today the Cubs improved to 23-6 and are the first NL team to win 23 of its first 29 games since the 1977 Dodgers.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Bigfoot on May 07, 2016, 08:09:51 pm
After beating Washington today the Cubs improved to 23-6 and are the first NL team to win 23 of its first 29 games since the 1977 Dodgers.
noted bad company to be in.

yraciv

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 06, 2016, 06:41:28 pm
It very well could be a Windy City Series. I wouldn't count the Royals out yet, but Houston has the worst record in the AL at the time. Didn't see that coming. As for the NL, I see it coming down to the Cubs and whoever wins the west or Washington. Then it's a matter of who's the hottest at the moment.

I'd like to see it since I'm in Chicago, but I highly doubt it.  The Sox will fold, and don't really even look good on paper.  The Cubs may make it, should be the favorite, but I believe in the curse and somehow/someway they'll likely screw it up again.

hog.goblin

The Cubs are en fuego

Dropkick

24-6 after today's walk off

GolfNut57

Cubs are fakes. To be the best you got to beat the best. The Cubs can't claim they did that when they acted like cowards and walked Bryce Harper THIRTEEN times in the weekend series. Joe Maddon is a clown who treats MLB as if it is little league baseball and is scared to let his pitchers face the best hitters in the league.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

clutch

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 08, 2016, 10:04:19 pm
Cubs are fakes. To be the best you got to beat the best. The Cubs can't claim they did that when they acted like cowards and walked Bryce Harper THIRTEEN times in the weekend series. Joe Maddon is a clown who treats MLB as if it is little league baseball and is scared to let his pitchers face the best hitters in the league.

I'm far from a Cubs fan, but they just swept the Pirates (#2 team in their division) and Nationals (#2 team in NL) back to back. That is beating the best. Maddon is smart. He's the best manager in the MLB. Baseball is a thinking mans game. He was trying to limit the damage Harper could cause with his bat by taking the bat out of his hands. It obviously worked. That's not being scared, that's called good managing.

hog.goblin

Baseball is a great sport.  You should try watching it sometime.

southarkhog06

someone is salty. last time I checked who wins is determined by the number of runs each team has at the end of the game, not how many walks a player has, so yes in fact they can say they beat the best.

yraciv

What a nut!

Dropkick

Must be a STL fan, lol.

Dropkick

Maddon is arguably the best manager in the game.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Dropkick on May 09, 2016, 01:08:00 pm
he definitely looked like a genius this series.

yraciv

Quote from: Dropkick on May 09, 2016, 01:07:04 pm
Must be a STL fan, lol.

Cards/Cubs is a pretty mild rivalry in terms of pure hatred toward the other.  I've been to many Card/Cubs games, and it's not near the the environment you'd get say Dogers/Giants or Red Sox/Yankees.

southarkhog06

Quote from: yraciv on May 09, 2016, 02:29:42 pm
Cards/Cubs is a pretty mild rivalry in terms of pure hatred toward the other.  I've been to many Card/Cubs games, and it's not near the the environment you'd get say Dogers/Giants or Red Sox/Yankees.
don't tell golfnut that.

GolfNut57

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 09, 2016, 02:58:45 pm
don't tell golfnut that.

Umm.....I am a Red Sox fan. And yeah I was steaming after Friday nights Ron Kulpa debacle.  ;)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Dropkick on May 09, 2016, 01:08:00 pm

who is scared to let his boys pitch to Harper.  ;D

southarkhog06

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 09, 2016, 03:05:32 pm
who is scared to let his boys pitch to Harper.  ;D
well they swept the nats in 4 games and are 24-6 so........