Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SMU Basketball is up against a charge of “lack of coach control”

Started by jbcarol, July 30, 2015, 02:42:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Larry Brown's program is dealing with an NCAA investigation that began last year. With an assistant coach (Ulric Maligi) being placed on indefinite leave before departing the program and Keith Frazier being ruled academically ineligible mid-year, this is a situation that could be a major problem for the Mustangs moving forward.

At particular issue is the role of former SMU assistant coach Ulric Maligi and a basketball secretary in allegedly assisting Frazier with coursework. Maligi took an indefinite leave from the program in January 2015. Frazier played for the Mustangs during the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons before he was deemed "academically ineligible" in January 2015 and missed the rest of the season. There has been no clarification yet as to his status for the 2015-16 season, but Frazier has not left the program.

At issue with Brown is what he knew about Frazier's situation, and what he did about it.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Rzbakfromwaybak

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

rhog1

Man I went to ponyfans to see their fans reactions and they have a thread making fun of our guys over the counterfeit money thing and Kapita not making it. Talk about pot meeting kettle.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Pat Forde ‏@YahooForde Jul 30

Y sources: SMU met with NCAA Committee on Infractions; Larry Brown facing "lack of coach control" charge. http://yhoo.it/1ODmoXu
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 9h9 hours ago Avalon, NJ

Larry Brown Soldiering On in Wake of NCAA Allegations http://zagsblog.com/articles/larry-brown-soldiering-on-in-wake-of-ncaa-allegations/ ...

QuoteBrown said he's unable to comment on the current case but that he was not involved when his teams at UCLA and Kansas were hit with sanctions in the 1980s.

"We're not allowed to comment on any of the NCAA stuff," Brown said. "I will comment on the thing about UCLA, I wasn't even involved in that and everybody knows that and yet they keep printing it. And they asked to hire me in 1988 again so I think that's pretty cut and dry. That investigation went on long before I got the job at UCLA.

"And then the Kansas situation, my Chancellor at Kansas recommended me for the Princeton job and helped me in the Stanford opportunity so if I was sanctioned for doing anything wrong at all, I don't think Stanford would've offered me the job or anything like that."

He added: "Even here, why would they hire me here [at SMU] if there was any things hanging over my head?"

According to the Yahoo! report, the NCAA is alleging former SMU assistant coach Ulric Maligi and a basketball secretary helped former SMU guard Keith Frazier with his course work during his time there from 2013-15. Frazier was declared academically ineligible in January and Maligi took an indefinite leave of absence from the program at about that time.

"I can't comment about anything in an ongoing NCAA investigation," Brown said. "I won't and I won't give this guy [Yahoo's Pat Forde] any credibility by doing that."

jbcarol

Kate Hairopoulos ‏@khairopoulos Jul 30

SMU acknowledges hearing w/ NCAA committee on infractions in June regarding investigation into men's bball program. Declines further comment

SMU: "As we acknowledged in January, we are working with the NCAA. We had an official hearing in June...  but in respect for the integrity of the process, will have no further comment at this time."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 18h18 hours ago

SMU's Keith Frazier is academically eligible for the 2015-16 season, sources told @CBSSports. Big news for the Mustangs.