Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Centennial Valley switching to Champion Bermuda

Started by Wildhog, July 28, 2015, 11:33:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

I'm really excited about this.  We currently have bent, but it's just so hard to maintain here.   Plus, it won't mark as easily, which is good, because our membership won't bend over to fix their damn marks.  I'm excited to putt on a surface that doesn't look like the face of the moon.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

userpick

You need to come south and play. You'll appreciate your greens a lot more.

Wildhog

Quote from: userpick on July 28, 2015, 11:54:40 am
You need to come south and play. You'll appreciate your greens a lot more.

Mystic?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

The company that's installing the new greens is the same company that did Pinehurst #2, Quail Hollow, Pleasant Valley, Mystic Creek...
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 28, 2015, 12:00:14 pm
Uh-oh.

Monthly fees going up?

Hope not.  It's already the most expensive Lindsey course and the fees shouldn't go up just to have live greens.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HognitiveDissonance

Good move.
If they turn as well as Rebsamen or Pleasant Valley, you'll be pleased.
They putt just fine. Properly maintained, they're actually great.
At HSV, Magellan and Desoto courses have also converted.

The only downside is they'll probably spray paint them in the winter, which is hokey. But they will go brown otherwise. That's one thing about bent grass; you got brown grass everywhere, but that green is shiny green in January.

onebadrubi

So long as they don't skimp on the sub base and base you will love it!!!!  Championship Bermuda cost so much to do sometimes they try to pick some
Money back up by skimping on the base.  This can cause you to have hard as hell greens (firm hard, not difficult). 

Wildhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 28, 2015, 05:46:47 pm
Out of curiosity, how long will this process take and when will they start it?

The course will be closed for six weeks.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 28, 2015, 05:46:47 pm
Out of curiosity, how long will this process take and when will they start it?

installation only takes 3 days actually

Wildhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 29, 2015, 09:17:03 am
Only three days - whoever does this must bring a lot of people and / or the proper equipment and knows how to use it.  The removal of the old green and installation of the new green would be a fascinating process to watch I would think - especially to see what kind of base they lay below the surface.

I want to tailgate the event.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PonderinHog

cc

Some of the best Champipns greens I've played on was Greenville CC. Putted 10.5 or so and every chip was a consistent hop and roll out. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on July 29, 2015, 08:47:53 am
installation only takes 3 days actually
Interesting...only three days? My backyard putting green with artificial turf took three days to finish.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 29, 2015, 11:01:19 pm
Interesting...only three days? My backyard putting green with artificial turf took three days to finish.

heck I thought it sounded low as well but I guess they've got it down after doing 700 of them.

PonderinHog

userpick

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 29, 2015, 11:01:19 pm

What kind of green do you have?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: userpick on July 31, 2015, 12:58:52 am
What kind of green do you have?
About 780 square feet. All artificial turf, with some 'rough' (longer artificial turf). The short 'grass' probably rolls about 8 on the Stimp. I had them build a ridge in the middle for some undulation. Five holes, two in each corner, one in the middle. I also hauled in some sand to make a chipping area. The base was laid with a dirt/gravel mix then they packed in down with a tractor, rolled it to death, and laid the carpet on top, then stitched it together. They did a good job.
Wish I could spend more time on it, but it's nice to have.

clutch

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 31, 2015, 11:29:40 pm
About 780 square feet. All artificial turf, with some 'rough' (longer artificial turf). The short 'grass' probably rolls about 8 on the Stimp. I had them build a ridge in the middle for some undulation. Five holes, two in each corner, one in the middle. I also hauled in some sand to make a chipping area. The base was laid with a dirt/gravel mix then they packed in down with a tractor, rolled it to death, and laid the carpet on top, then stitched it together. They did a good job.
Wish I could spend more time on it, but it's nice to have.

Post a pic of that bad boy

GolfNut57

Guess its time to have a Hogville putting contest.  ;)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Iwastherein1969

don't be stunned when you hit a putt cross grain and it dances left, then right, then left all the way towards the hole...bermuda, unless its shaved down to almost nothing, will finally get in your head because you make some putts you for sure you missed when the ball left the putter-head.... also vice versa, you'll think you made that 12 footer for birdie and its tracking all the way to be center cut, then strange things happen around the "3 foot to the hole" mark....but enjoy the bermuda
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 01, 2015, 09:20:29 am
don't be stunned when you hit a putt cross grain and it dances left, then right, then left all the way towards the hole...bermuda, unless its shaved down to almost nothing, will finally get in your head because you make some putts you for sure you missed when the ball left the putter-head.... also vice versa, you'll think you made that 12 footer for birdie and its tracking all the way to be center cut, then strange things happen around the "3 foot to the hole" mark....but enjoy the bermuda

They have changed two in HSV so far. I look for them to do more, not because of the heat, but because of the idiots not fixing ball marks.

It took the first course a couple of years to finally get right, the second seemed to be better much quicker. These are a hybrid Bermuda of some sort that stays very firm. Even when you hit a high shot that spins back, there is very little if any ball mark. You are correct on the Bermuda needing to be cut close to roll decent. The problem on the greens here is so much undulation you will have a 4 footer that may break 8 inches, with the greens running 11 or so. Makes it very difficult to be aggressive on birdie putts. I would rather hit a ball OB than three putt.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 01, 2015, 10:12:39 am
Ouch.

Like ripping the band aid off slowly, eh?

I usually 3 putt after hitting OB, love me some Snowmen.

HognitiveDissonance

cosmodrum

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 29, 2015, 09:17:03 am
Only three days - whoever does this must bring a lot of people and / or the proper equipment and knows how to use it.  The removal of the old green and installation of the new green would be a fascinating process to watch I would think - especially to see what kind of base they lay below the surface.

Hopefully, this goes well and y'all will be back up and playing as soon as possible.

The company is the best in the biz. Champion Turf farms.
Go away, batin'

al2305

How is Mike Smith the head pro there doing? I love that guy. Best boss ever.

Wildhog

Quote from: al2305 on August 05, 2015, 12:06:25 am
How is Mike Smith the head pro there doing? I love that guy. Best boss ever.

Seems to be doing well.  I know he's thrilled with the switch.
1909/1964/1965/1977