Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brady busted!

Started by hogville38, May 11, 2015, 04:45:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogville38

Suspended 4 games and Pats lose draft picks next year and 1mil fibe for deflated balls. Move if needed mod

PorkRinds

TomasPistola

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 11, 2015, 04:49:30 pm
In recruiting forum?

Think we can get him to flip to college?
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

hogville38

Quote from: TomasPistola on May 11, 2015, 05:11:53 pm
Think we can get him to flip to college?
Sry guys thought I was in MMQB, thats why I said move to proper thread. My bad

Bubba's Bruisers

What was in the report to prove him guilty? 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hogville38

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on May 11, 2015, 09:44:40 pm
What was in the report to prove him guilty?
Nothing, which was what I thought was BS. They said it was highly probable that Brady knew about footballs.....WTH? The NFL investigating is worse than the NCAA.

pigture perfect

It's pretty simple guys, it's not necessarily about the amount of pressure in the balls, but that he was uncooperative and then he lied about it. I tell my kids, you will get in more trouble for lying to me than anything else.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 12, 2015, 12:26:24 am
It's pretty simple guys, it's not necessarily about the amount of pressure in the balls, but that he was uncooperative and then he lied about it. I tell my kids, you will get in more trouble for lying to me than anything else.

What did he lie about?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

PorkRinds

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 12, 2015, 12:26:24 am

I would NEVER give my phone to a private corporation.  Not ever.  And this suspension will be reversed.  They have no proof he did anything wrong, and punishing someone for not cooperating with an investigation of themselves is insane.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 12, 2015, 09:37:13 am
I would NEVER give my phone to a private corporation.  Not ever.  And this suspension will be reversed.  They have no proof he did anything wrong, and punishing someone for not cooperating with an investigation of themselves is insane.

This is my take as well.  I seriously doubt I would have handed over my phone. 

I haven't read the report, but I haven't seen any media outlets point to any smoking guns via this report.   

PorkRinds

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on May 12, 2015, 11:10:09 am
This is my take as well.  I seriously doubt I would have handed over my phone. 

I haven't read the report, but I haven't seen any media outlets point to any smoking guns via this report.   

There aren't any, which is why it will be overturned.

EastexHawg

I hope it sticks.  The Patriots are serial cheaters.  Fines do nothing to get their attention.  Maybe losing their cheater QB for four games and their first draft pick next year will have an effect.

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 12, 2015, 11:53:13 am
I hope it sticks.  The Patriots are serial cheaters.  Fines do nothing to get their attention.  Maybe losing their cheater QB for four games and their first draft pick next year will have an effect.

The team punishment may stick, but Brady's won't. 

Pigsknuckles

Glad he is in Houston, but I can't help but ponder the what if's if RM was still at NE.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hoglady

The problem with the punishment is it's publicity driven.
It would be interesting to see the history on this type of thing and NFL punishment - I'm sure it's happened before.
Kind of like baseball and pine tar / or corked bats. Players are always trying to find an edge.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on May 12, 2015, 12:28:24 pm
Glad he is in Houston, but I can't help but ponder the what if's if RM was still at NE.

He would have a chance to play the 4 games Brady's gone and then it would be back to the bench until Brady retires or gets hurt.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hoglady on May 12, 2015, 12:52:04 pm
He would have a chance to play the 4 games Brady's gone and then it would be back to the bench until Brady retires or gets hurt.

I guess it really is that simple.

pigture perfect

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on May 12, 2015, 07:36:32 am
What did he lie about?
he was asked if he had ordered for the deflating, he said he didn't even know who the ball handlers were, yet there were texts to him crm Brady. So there's that. It's also about not cooperating.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

EastexHawg

This isn't like a manager stealing another team's signals or a receiver wearing stick'em on his hands.  What Brady and the Patriots were doing was more like a MLB team having its pitchers sneak dead baseballs that won't carry as far to the mound so the other team wouldn't be able to hit them as far.  Or...vice versa, somehow ensuring that the balls they were hitting were juiced.

They were intentionally altering the playing conditions on the field to give themselves a competitive advantage.  A softer ball is easier to grip for every player on the team.  The QB can grip it better to throw it.  The backs are less likely to lose control of it and fumble.  Receivers, especially when their hands are cold, can catch it easier.

The Patriots didn't know the game wasn't going to be close when they decided to cheat.  If they had they wouldn't have done it.  Brady and the team were trying to gain an unfair advantage...and it's not the first time for them. 

They did the crime, now they need to do the time.

phadedhawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 12, 2015, 01:32:26 pm
he was asked if he had ordered for the deflating, he said he didn't even know who the ball handlers were, yet there were texts to him crm Brady. So there's that. It's also about not cooperating.

Yep, if Brady had cooperated instead of hiding behind his team's owner he probably would have avoided most of these penalties.  It's the cover up that will get you every time.

The text messages are pretty damning.  I keep hearing folks say there is no evidence of wrongdoing and I'm clueless how they arrive at that.  If you compare what he said during media week to what evidence the NFL was allowed access to it's obvious he was lying. 

And since he was lying and not cooperating, the NFL determined he most likely knew about football tampering. 

It's pretty basic and very straightforward. 

clutch

Quote from: phadedhawg on May 12, 2015, 04:31:40 pm
Yep, if Brady had cooperated instead of hiding behind his team's owner he probably would have avoided most of these penalties.  It's the cover up that will get you every time.

The text messages are pretty damning.  I keep hearing folks say there is no evidence of wrongdoing and I'm clueless how they arrive at that.  If you compare what he said during media week to what evidence the NFL was allowed access to it's obvious he was lying. 

And since he was lying and not cooperating, the NFL determined he most likely knew about football tampering. 

It's pretty basic and very straightforward. 

I don't really care either way if he is suspended or isn't, but players shouldn't be punished for "most likely" doing something wrong. There should be no doubt.

oldman1015

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 12, 2015, 02:33:18 pm
This isn't like a manager stealing another team's signals or a receiver wearing stick'em on his hands.  What Brady and the Patriots were doing was more like a MLB team having its pitchers sneak dead baseballs that won't carry as far to the mound so the other team wouldn't be able to hit them as far.  Or...vice versa, somehow ensuring that the balls they were hitting were juiced.

They were intentionally altering the playing conditions on the field to give themselves a competitive advantage.  A softer ball is easier to grip for every player on the team.  The QB can grip it better to throw it.  The backs are less likely to lose control of it and fumble.  Receivers, especially when their hands are cold, can catch it easier.

The Patriots didn't know the game wasn't going to be close when they decided to cheat.  If they had they wouldn't have done it.  Brady and the team were trying to gain an unfair advantage...and it's not the first time for them. 

They did the crime, now they need to do the time.
i heard a retired qb say on the radio that every team and qb in the league does this.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Albert Einswine

Roger Goodell is an idiot, he does his job in a capricious manner and the owners are idiots for keeping him at the helm. The league has a rule structure in place. Ball tampering is ball tampering, there's a designated punishment for it. Aaron Rodgers admits he has the ball inflated above the league limit, no biggie, who cares.

The Vikings are caught warming footballs on the sidelines, this is a violation and they're assessed the standard fine.

The Chargers are found to be treating the balls with an adhesive substance, this is a violation and they're assessed the standard fine.

The Pats are caught with slightly underinflated balls by the crybaby Colts and all hell breaks loose, unprecedented fines and suspensions handed down because of personalities involved, self righteous sports media and uber jealous crybabies around the country. Pathetic.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

EastexHawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 15, 2015, 02:26:14 pm
Roger Goodell is an idiot, he does his job in a capricious manner and the owners are idiots for keeping him at the helm. The league has a rule structure in place. Ball tampering is ball tampering, there's a designated punishment for it. Aaron Rodgers admits he has the ball inflated above the league limit, no biggie, who cares.

The Vikings are caught warming footballs on the sidelines, this is a violation and they're assessed the standard fine.

The Chargers are found to be treating the balls with an adhesive substance, this is a violation and they're assessed the standard fine.

The Pats are caught with slightly underinflated balls by the crybaby Colts and all hell breaks loose, unprecedented fines and suspensions handed down because of personalities involved, self righteous sports media and uber jealous crybabies around the country. Pathetic.

And because the Patriots are serial cheaters.  This isn't their first offense.

Albert Einswine

You'll feel better when the 'girls improve, Eastex, it'll be a real stress and righteousness reliever.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PorkRinds

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 15, 2015, 02:26:14 pm

I agree.  Then when the decision is made as to who will hear the appeal, he refuses to let an arbiter hear the case and insists on hearing it himself, as if he's an impartial judge.  It's really stupid, and I'm not a pats fan.  Although I might become one now that so many hogs are on their squad. 

EastexHawg

It has nothing to do with the Cowboys or who I root for.  The point is that the Patriots, Belicheck, and Brady are cheaters and liars.  They cheat as a matter of habit.

In the last five years, New England has lost fumbles at a rate one per every 187 plays.  The league average is 105.  According to the data analyst who studied those numbers, the odds of it happening coincidentally are one in 16,000.

Looking at all fumbles and not just fumbles lost, the Patriots are the only team in the last 25 years to average more than 70 plays per fumble. 

Common sense tells us that a softer ball is easier to grip, particularly in cold, wet, or snowy weather.

They are cheaters, plain and simple.

Richard_white

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 15, 2015, 02:35:53 pm
And because the Patriots are serial cheaters.  This isn't their first offense.

Very true.

pigture perfect

Plowgate, spygate and inflategate. 3 strikes is usually reserved for baseball but it should apply here too

hawkhawg

I bet Brady doesn't miss a game next year.

hog.goblin

May 16, 2015, 03:31:55 pm #30 Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 04:08:53 pm by hog.goblin
And yet a year ago a player punched his fiancé in the face and dragged her out of the elevator unconscious and only get suspended for 2 games.  Roger is a joke and has got to go.  I hate the Patriots, but this is no worse than stickem and vasoline used by lineman.

hvsupastar

Brady hasn't been busted doing anything
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

EastexHawg

Quote from: hog.goblin on May 16, 2015, 03:31:55 pm
And yet a year ago a player punched his fiancé in the face and dragged her out of the elevator unconscious and only get suspended for 2 games.  Roger is a joke and has got to go.  I hate the Patriots, but this is no worse than stickem and vasoline used by lineman.

Ray Rice punching his girlfriend did nothing to provide a competitive advantage on the field.  To me that's the difference.  Being a bad person isn't the same as intentionally altering the playing conditions to allow your team to hold onto the ball better than the other team, have fewer turnovers, and eventually win.

hog.goblin

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 18, 2015, 02:23:18 pm
Ray Rice punching his girlfriend did nothing to provide a competitive advantage on the field.  To me that's the difference.  Being a bad person isn't the same as intentionally altering the playing conditions to allow your team to hold onto the ball better than the other team, have fewer turnovers, and eventually win.

So the NFL shouldn't punish for off the field behavior?  Because if they do, then you can compare the punishment because the NFL is involved in the decision process in both circumstances.

However, sticking with on the field advantages.  It's okay to take two draft picks, a million bucks, and 4 games; but nothing for:

1) Jerry Rice and stickem,
2) The San Diego Chargers and stickem, and they refused to turnover the suspected towel,
3) The NYG and faking injuries during the game against the Rams (one of the "injured" players jumped right back up and ran off the field),
4) PED use (insert almost every team at one point or another),
5) Multiple defenders admitting to using vaseline to keep their uniforms slick and silicone for better grip on their gloves.

But it's for a lack of cooperation you might say?  Gotskowski refused to cooperate too.  No suspension.

I have no love for the Patriots.  But I can't stand Goodell.  He's a joke and this proves it.

EastexHawg

Goodell was commissioner during Jerry Rice's career?

I'm not saying any kind of cheating is "okay".  It does seem a little odd, though, that the defense for the Patriots is, "Yeah, but OTHER TEAMS CHEAT, TOO!"

Maybe Goodell and the league got tired of the Patriots' culture of cheating.  Maybe the league is trying to finally get their attention.  I'm guessing he probably has expanded powers under some kind of clause/arrangement involving "for the good of the game" or something like that.

Maybe the league decided having one of its highest profile franchises exposed for cheating over and over isn't in the best interests of the game and the NFL as a whole.

Maybe the answer for the Patriots and their fans isn't to whine that the punishment for yet another cheating scandal is too harsh.  Maybe the answer is to quit cheating.

bennyl08

IMO, this is the punishment the patriots need, but not the one that they deserve. They deserve to be subject to the same rules and punishments that any other team would be subject to. However, I do believe that while every team pushes the limits, the patriots are indeed the worst offender and are repeat offenders so they need something to teach them a lesson as the standard practices aren't that much of a deterrent.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Albert Einswine

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 19, 2015, 04:01:00 pm
IMO, this is the punishment the patriots need, but not the one that they deserve. They deserve to be subject to the same rules and punishments that any other team would be subject to. However, I do believe that while every team pushes the limits, the patriots are indeed the worst offender and are repeat offenders so they need something to teach them a lesson as the standard practices aren't that much of a deterrent.

Spoken like a true Seahags fan, lol

Pigsknuckles

bennyl08

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 19, 2015, 04:11:24 pm

Spoken like a true Seahags fan, lol

Yeah, but win or lose a seahawk gets to go back to Seattle. A Patriot has to go back to Boston, so the have that going for them. (I've actually heard Boston is a great city, but it doesn't have 3 national parks within a 2 hour drive, so Seattle still wins).
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Albert Einswine

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 19, 2015, 07:08:41 pm
Yeah, but win or lose a seahawk gets to go back to Seattle. A Patriot has to go back to Boston, so the have that going for them. (I've actually heard Boston is a great city, but it doesn't have 3 national parks within a 2 hour drive, so Seattle still wins).

Never been to Washington and I've never really been interested in Seattle, but I did have orders cut to Fairchild AFB in Spokane in '85 that I foolishly swapped with a Tech School classmate for his orders to KI Sawyer in the UP of Michigan. I was 19 and unlearned and there was no one to talk me back off that ledge. haha

bennyl08

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 19, 2015, 07:16:01 pm

Never been to Washington and I've never really been interested in Seattle, but I did have orders cut to Fairchild AFB in Spokane in '85 that I foolishly swapped with a Tech School classmate for his orders to KI Sawyer in the UP of Michigan. I was 19 and unlearned and there was no one to talk me back off that ledge. haha

I haven't been to a whole lot of cities, but Seattle is by far my favorite. I think that has a lot to do with the general culture of the NW though, and I'd prefer to live in a town the size of NLR or Fayetteville more than somewhere that big.

EastexHawg

The Seattle area is beautiful...if the mist and low clouds clear off enough for you to see anything.  After four or five days in a row of mist, fog, and smoke from some sort of controlled burn I decided to drive out to Mt. Rainier.  Finally I got high enough on the road to get above the fog.  When I rounded a curve and got my first look at Rainier it literally took my breath away.  It covered the horizon and was all I could see.

To this day I think it's the most impressive view of a piece of Earth I have ever seen.

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 20, 2015, 09:18:59 am
The Seattle area is beautiful...if the mist and low clouds clear off enough for you to see anything.  After four or five days in a row of mist, fog, and smoke from some sort of controlled burn I decided to drive out to Mt. Rainier.  Finally I got high enough on the road to get above the fog.  When I rounded a curve and got my first look at Rainier it literally took my breath away.  It covered the horizon and was all I could see.

To this day I think it's the most impressive view of a piece of Earth I have ever seen.

The mist and fog has a certain beauty in it's own right, but I hear ya on the burns. There was good sized brush fire in Tigard (just south of Portland) and the entire Wilammette valley just clogged up with the smoke because it was summer and the air couldn't go anywhere else. Then you have all the farms burning their fields after the season is over and yeah. I take it you didn't hike up the mountain much then? It truly is a beautiful mountain. I still think the Tetons in Wyoming are the best I've ever seen (Denali was covered in the clouds the entire time in was in AK... :( ).

ALLVOL

Destroyed his cell phone. Lol he's as pure as the driven snow...

hog.goblin

Doesn't everyone destroy their phones every 4 months?

pigture perfect

I loved the J-E-T-S banner flyover. Let the smack talk begain.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 29, 2015, 06:41:20 pm
Doesn't everyone destroy their phones every 4 months?

Only when they are asked to present them at a hearing or subpoenaed.

hog.goblin

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 31, 2015, 03:30:40 pm
Only when they are asked to present them at a hearing or subpoenaed.

Sounds like a new standard policy, just in case one suspects that oneself might be asked to present their phone at a hearing/subpoena

PorkRinds

Not a single chance in hades that I would give up my phone, guilty or not. I'm not into a private entity being able to force you to implicate yourself by forcing you to reveal your personal communications.  I'm sure he had some naked pics of his hot wife on his phone. Not a chance I Would hand mine over.

clutch

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 01, 2015, 12:54:05 pm
Not a single chance in hades that I would give up my phone, guilty or not. I'm not into a private entity being able to force you to implicate yourself by forcing you to reveal your personal communications.  I'm sure he had some naked pics of his hot wife on his phone. Not a chance I Would hand mine over.

Me either. Especially if I was someone as high profile as Tom Brady. There's not a chance in hell that it would be kept quiet if he had some dirt unrelated to deflategate on his phone. Maybe he didn't want to end up in a Tiger Woods situation or something.

This whole thing still seems like a Brady witch hunt though. They were bound and determined to punish him. I think mainly to punish the Patriots for their repeat scandals. Doesn't seem right to me that Brady gets the brute of the punishment though and an unprecedented punishment when it's his first actual time being suspected of something.

I also don't like how they can punish someone based on a "more than likely" scenario. That seems to open up some floodgates that are best left closed.

I'm not a patriots fan so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but it doesn't seem quite right to me.