Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1190 The Fan

Started by GrantMerrill, April 19, 2008, 03:48:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: pikehog on July 24, 2008, 02:27:07 pm
The ticket kicks arse.

Most Arkasnas shows are too Arkansas-centric and there is just not enough going on to fill all the shows.

Bo's show is coming to LR next week, what's it like?

Decent National/Regional guests.  But also has Chuck's old crew of Dudley and Clay.  Bo is not as funny, clever, witty, smart, knowledgable about sports, and connected as he thinks he is.

He's also hypocritical as hell.  Let a guy like Cedric Benson get arrested for public intox or other troubles and they can't wait to make fun of him and his problems.  But when Matt got caught it was terrible, and "I hope Matt gets some help"  "I hope it doesn't ruin his career"  "You hate to see that"  Which is fine, but either make fun of everyone or be sympathetic to everyone especially when you have been there yourself.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Lando Calrissian

So am I to understand that 1190 is pulling Cowherd for yet another joke of a "local" radio show?

Are you guys trying to lose money?
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

SwinedMelon

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on July 24, 2008, 03:40:44 pm
So am I to understand that 1190 is pulling Cowherd for yet another joke of a "local" radio show?

I think they are doing research and development- writing a book.... "How NOT to run a radio station"... or, "How to waste radio transmission signals"... or, "How to go out of business in 90 days"
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on July 24, 2008, 03:40:44 pm

Yes it's the Coach B and Godby show or at least that's what it sounds like they are saying.  I don't know who the frick these two are nor do I car.  One guy sounds really old and the other one sounds just kind of old.

The promo is annoying as hell and reason enough not to listen.  It will take up all 3 hours of the Herd plus the first hour of Tirico and VanP, no big loss on that one, but still, 4 hours of these guys will be pure hell.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Jim

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 24, 2008, 03:53:28 pm
but still, 4 hours of these guys will be pure hell.

Yes, for the 3 sales people who work for the Fan who are listening to see if their clients' new spots have ever been made.  Of course, it's been hell for them the past 3 years as they've been waiting to see if a new Norm the Tireman commercial ever comes out.

At last check via weather.com, the forecast is STILL 100% chance of fiery rain in Hell so no hope for any snowball's tonight.

TNhogfan

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 24, 2008, 03:53:28 pm
Yes it's the Coach B and Godby show or at least that's what it sounds like they are saying.  I don't know who the frick these two are nor do I car.  One guy sounds really old and the other one sounds just kind of old.

The promo is annoying as hell and reason enough not to listen.  It will take up all 3 hours of the Herd plus the first hour of Tirico and VanP, no big loss on that one, but still, 4 hours of these guys will be pure hell.
Coach B is a former coach for the Hogs.

Quite Frankly

With Cowherd gone the station just disappeared from my presets and hastened my jump to Sirius. 

I guess once you start making poor decisions, you just have to make more of them to cover things up.

They'll not make it.  They won't have enough listeners/advertisers.  Each show will take a hit from the poor lineup.  Radio is a habit.  Once you quit a station for any part of the day, you find yourself skipping them perminantly.

No Cowherd.  No me.  I say the station goes under by the Super Bowl if they hold on to this idiocy.

rcowen

I cannot believe that they are taking cowherd off of the air. . .

Absurd. When Cowherd is gone, So am I. That is THE sports show that I listen to at work.

I guess I'll be buying a portable Sirius radio this weekend. I needed a good excuse to do so.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: TNhogfan on July 24, 2008, 05:52:21 pm
Coach B is a former coach for the Hogs.

Yeah back when Reagan was President and gas had gone back under $1 a gallon.  BFD.  He probably thinks this is Bo Schembechler's year at Michigan.

Quite Frankly

Is coach B Larry Beichtol(sp)?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Quite Frankly on July 24, 2008, 06:39:05 pm
Is coach B Larry Beichtol(sp)?

Yes, I think it's something like Beightol.

Yep, he even has his own wiki entry.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Beightol

Quite Frankly

I guess there is an affirmative action program at 1190 to include senior citizens.  From what I know of him he's a good guy, but that time slot is driven by the non-senior age bracket.  It's directly opposite of what was working.

Stupid doesn't seem strong enough to describe it.

Dwight_K_Shrute

1390 am is now hooked up with Fox Sports Radio.  I haven't listened much but the signal is pretty clear.  I pick it up better than 1190 in and around Bentonville Rogers area.  They also carry Rome.  I'm not a big Rome fan but he is funny from time to time.  I'm not sure if 1390 has any local shows yet but they might or might be developing them. 

95_alum

July 24, 2008, 07:28:01 pm #213 Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:29:37 pm by 95_alum
Quote from: GrantMerrill on April 19, 2008, 03:48:51 pm
... With that said, what would you like to see out of your sports station in NWA?

Bring back Mike Irwin on Press Row

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: 95_alum on July 24, 2008, 07:28:01 pm
Bring back Mike Irwin

That will probably never happen.  His TV station made him give it up because he was too opinionated about the Football Staff and different situations at the time.  The thing is people here and the radio listeners loved Mike because here was a media guy giving his honest opinion about the state of affairs.

The only think I didn't like is that he was a mod or admin on here and banned me on more than one occassion but I never held that against him.  I just credited it to old manitude.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: KJL on July 24, 2008, 11:33:57 pm
Has anyone counted the # of shows there will be? Wow.

3 or 4 too many, and the fact they are taking off Cowherd really, really makes me mad.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Buck Ocean

ESPN is garbage anyways.  1190 powers down.

Dont touch 1390.  FSN national programming is great.  Rome is brought in and thats great.  Also, 1390 is 24-7.  I can actually wake up to it before 5am.  Dont screw it up.
Think like a Jedi

bobbybouchet

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 24, 2008, 03:30:48 pm
Decent National/Regional guests.  But also has Chuck's old crew of Dudley and Clay.  Bo is not as funny, clever, witty, smart, knowledgable about sports, and connected as he thinks he is.

He's also hypocritical as hell.  Let a guy like Cedric Benson get arrested for public intox or other troubles and they can't wait to make fun of him and his problems.  But when Matt got caught it was terrible, and "I hope Matt gets some help"  "I hope it doesn't ruin his career"  "You hate to see that"  Which is fine, but either make fun of everyone or be sympathetic to everyone especially when you have been there yourself.

Yep, you hit a nerve with me and Bo Mattingly.  I don't know the guy personally, but he comes across on the radio that he is better than everyone else.  He loves to put people down, but can't take it when they fire back at him.  Very bad case of short man syndrome.  I can't listen to his show.

termite

You might not like Bo but at least he works at bringing in national opinons about the Hogs.I think he works hard to bring new stuff to the air and I predict he will go over well in cental arkansas.

bobbybouchet

Quote from: termite on July 25, 2008, 08:06:05 am
You might not like Bo but at least he works at bringing in national opinons about the Hogs.I think he works hard to bring new stuff to the air and I predict he will go over well in cental arkansas.

I have to admit, he does bring in National opinions.  But I quit listening when on several occasions he put down the person after they came on his show.  That's just bad business.  He may never want to talk to that person again,  but word will spread and not many will want to come on his show.  The guy just spends way too much time putting people down.

pitbull1

I've been listening to Press Row this morning.  Too much baseball, not that much about football or recruiting or basketball.  Nothing about the new recruit Ross Rasner.

Nutts and Bolts

too many dead air signal problems for me to listen...
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Jim

I still cannot fathom that ANYONE over at 1190 goes to sleep at night thinking "yeah...we got a killer sports talk station!"

How is it that any and all listeners can list ad nauseum issues with the station and yet no one in mgt or on staff can either hear how bad it sounds or even worse, feels motivated enough to do anything about it?  I worked in radio for nearly 18 years and the things that it would take to fix the things unrelated to poor air talent could (most likely) be taken care of within 2 weeks.

I'm talking promos, sweepers, commercials, automation issues (which may be why they think it's easier to just put on a poor quality local show) and anything else that "images" the station to the public.  Granted, it would be long, hard hours and probably require some people learn to multi-task but it COULD be done.

Why it hasn't absolutely befuddles me.