Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DVH 103.7 The Buzz Interview - 7/6/18

Started by TebowHater, July 07, 2018, 01:18:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TebowHater

https://soundcloud.com/1037thebuzz/dave-van-horn-july-6-2018

First extended interview I've heard from DVH after the season. I thought the interviewer did a good job for the most part of asking relevant questions.

DVH mentioned "not playing on Monday was not to any advantage to us...didn't really affect game 1...it probably hurt us in game 3...but bottom line, they beat us. They were the most talented team we played all year."

Talks about them pitching us backwards the whole series so effectively.

Says he still has not watched the replay of the foul ball play! Where he was live, he thought the play was 50-50 at best. Felt Cole didn't get a good jump, which EC confirmed he got a bad break after the game to DVH. Said Shaddy was positioned up the middle; if he had made that play, it would have been really impressive--challenging play for big leaguers.

Says Cronnin will be one of our closers along with Scroggins. He think Scroggins hitting 95 consistently at the end of the year could be deadly as he continues to tune his craft. He doesn't see Cronin going longer. He doesn't use his curve enough, would need to develop another pitch (perhaps a change), and also would need to show he can go longer but he's just too much of a high effort guy.

Mentions McKinney more likely than not won't be back (as expected). He is going to see how his arm feels this summer to see if he even wants to go through the rehab process (to ever play again). He's 23 already, meaning he would be 25 probably before he could pitch again.

Re video guy getting tossed: "I've seen bench personnel get tossed before, I've had athletic trainers get tossed! Here's why they get tossed...they don't know when to stop. I've learned over the years when the ump points his finger at you, I better stop...for at least a few minutes." "Do you say something to those guys?" "Yes, I tell them very politely to shut their mouth." Haha.

Kjerstad was supposed to play in Cape Cod. DVH talked to him about a week into Omaha, and told him don't go. Go home for a couple weeks, come back in July and start lifting. He had already had 250 at bats. Same thing with Martin, instead of going to California he's here lifting getting ready for fall ball. Those guys played enough baseball.

Interviewer told him "go hit the golf course." "No. These baseball coaches who are really good golfers probably don't have very good baseball teams...so we stay away the golf course." Lol

SPAL

Thanks. I love Coach. I haven't watched the replay either and never will. Pretty much what we've all said regarding Cronin.

I said McKinney would never pitch again and I don't blame him.

I love that Martin and kjerstad are staying home. There iss a such thing as too much baseball. Look what staying home and working out did for Benny. If they can learn how to go opposite way, there will be no stopping them. I'd like to hear what Fletcher is up to.

Fort Dweller

Love DVH.  No excuses come from that man.  Tells it like he sees it and won't shy away from a hard, blunt answer.  We are darned blessed to have him as our coach.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

rolyat_2008

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 07, 2018, 01:28:04 pm
Thanks. I love Coach. I haven't watched the replay either and never will. Pretty much what we've all said regarding Cronin.

I said McKinney would never pitch again and I don't blame him.

I love that Martin and kjerstad are staying home. There iss a such thing as too much baseball. Look what staying home and working out did for Benny. If they can learn how to go opposite way, there will be no stopping them. I'd like to hear what Fletcher is up to.
Fletcher is playing RF for Team USA.

ucahogfan

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on July 07, 2018, 02:30:47 pm
Mainieri watching out for his guys by playing Watson in CF.  Heck, he is batting Cabrera cleanup over players like Andrew Vaughn (Golden Spikes winner) or Josh Jung.

If Martin or Kjerstad had played summer ball, I would have like to see them play on Team USA.  Heck, Team USA only has 3 full-time OFs in Fletcher, Watson, and Cabrera.  You can't tell me that Kjerstad wouldn't have been a good addition to the team.  I am glad they are both getting the summer off.  We have seen that payoff with freshmen who take the summer off after a long year.

SPAL

I knew he was with the team I just haven't kept up with how he is doing. Travesty then if he isn't playing center.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 07, 2018, 02:58:52 pm
I knew he was with the team I just haven't kept up with how he is doing. Travesty then if he isn't playing center.
1-7 vs Chinese Taipei. A single and one strikeout.
1-10 vs Japan. Single, five strikeouts.

Cronin vs Japan. 1 2/3 IP, 1 H, 1 SO on 22 pitches. W (1-0)

JaketheSnake

I recorded all three games, but won't ever watch them either.  Glad Thise freshmen are getting some rest.  Both need to hit the weights some.

SPAL

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on July 07, 2018, 03:22:32 pm

Thanks. Boy, Dom is struggling. I think he needs to try to forget power. Just don't even consider being a power hitter. Work line to line and in the gaps. He does that, the power will come.

factchecker

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 07, 2018, 04:47:20 pm
Thanks. Boy, Dom is struggling. I think he needs to try to forget power. Just don't even consider being a power hitter. Work line to line and in the gaps. He does that, the power will come.
I'd like for him to bunt more but I understand that the situation must fit.  Dom has shown that he can bunt for a base hit but beyond that how many times have we seen a bunt turn into something more due to an error. I appreciate the power and home runs but I'd love to put more pressure via the base paths.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Razrpig256

Quote from: factchecker on July 07, 2018, 05:54:07 pm
I'd like for him to bunt more but I understand that the situation must fit.  Dom has shown that he can bunt for a base hit but beyond that how many times have we seen a bunt turn into something more due to an error. I appreciate the power and home runs but I'd love to put more pressure via the base paths.

Said this during the finals since not much else was working, but I guess it just wasn't our style. Hopefully, we do more of it next year when we have more speed and we can make teams pay for shifting us or playing back.

rolyat_2008

He's sac bunted once or twice with USCNT out of the 2 hole.

TebowHater

Criminal.

Yeah I wouldn't mind it either, though his speed is probably his weakest tool.

Would love to see Martin bunt when he is struggling. 3.9 down the line and with his speed even with bad bunts he very frequently may induce an error, as we saw several times this year weak grounders he hit. I think he could get on base with bunts easily at a .500 rate (hit vs. error).

ucahogfan

Quote from: TebowHater on July 07, 2018, 06:48:37 pm
Yeah I wouldn't mind it either, though his speed is probably his weakest tool.

Would love to see Martin bunt when he is struggling. 3.9 down the line and with his speed even with bad bunts he very frequently may induce an error, as we saw several times this year weak grounders he hit. I think he could get on base with bunts easily at a .500 rate (hit vs. error).
Those 3.9s were based on a full swing.  He would probably be 3.6-3.7 down the line on a drag bunt.  Just a deadly tool as the 3B would probably be playing back.

The good thing with Fletcher is that teams typically shift him so he has some give down the 3B line.  Same thing with Kjerstad.  Heck, if both of them prove they can be effective bunters against the shift, it probably forces team to stop shifting them so drastically.

dotnet

Fletcher is playing RF because he is the only one of those three with the arm capable of playing there

SPAL

Quote from: dotnet on July 07, 2018, 07:05:51 pm
Fletcher is playing RF because he is the only one of those three with the arm capable of playing there

That's actually an angle I hadn't considered. Very good point. Ring the bell.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 07, 2018, 07:32:52 pm
That's actually an angle I hadn't considered. Very good point. Ring the bell.
LSU has had some guys that can flat out run balls down in the OF, but it seems like in the last five years, they have not had an elite arm in the OF.  Heck, Duplantis was their everyday RF and his arm is beyond poor.  If I were a scout, I would almost throw a 30 on it.  You almost never see that tool on an arm from a viable draft prospect.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 07, 2018, 07:46:16 pm
LSU has had some guys that can flat out run balls down in the OF, but it seems like in the last five years, they have not had an elite arm in the OF.  Heck, Duplantis was their everyday RF and his arm is beyond poor.  If I were a scout, I would almost throw a 30 on it.  You almost never see that tool on an arm from a viable draft prospect.
Fletcher threw a runner out at 2nd in his first game

rolyat_2008

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on July 07, 2018, 03:22:32 pm

Sunday:

Fletcher 2-4 vs Japan. 8th inning 2-run HR, 7th inning walk, 5th inning single and one strikeout.

Cronin vs Japan. 2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 SO on 31 pitches.

Had 1-2-3 seventh inning on 9 pitches. 1-bunt single then 2 2-out singles left in the eighth.

http://sidearmstats.com/usabaseball/collegiate_national_team/