Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Excel users?

Started by longtimeHogfan, January 30, 2018, 09:29:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

longtimeHogfan

I'm sorry, I didn't know where to properly post my question....I just decided to try here.

If you're an excel user, I need a formula.  I want numbers entered in each cell of a column to automatically add (sum) to the corresponding cell in the next column. 

If column F started out with 500 and I add 100 to column E I want column F to automatically update to 600 to show the running sum.  Should be easy and probably is if you know how....

P.S.  and I want the entire columns, cells 1 thru 500+ to have the same formula.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Russ22

I do a lot of stuff with Excel, and this should be pretty simple. Let me try to restate what you are asking to do.

I have a column of results in "Column F." I am going to add the each value in "Column E" to "Column F".

If this is what you intend, I think you need to add a third column because this could become an issue with circular references.

If you can add a 3rd column (Column G), then in cell G1 you will want this formula:

=F1+E1

Changing either F1 or E1 will automatically update G1. Then you simply "Fill Down" to the bottom of your data list.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

HawgWild

So, you simply want column F to mirror the amount in the corresponding cell in column E? Your formula in F1 would be "=E1", then drag that formula down the column.

longtimeHogfan

Thanks for your replys.

I can add as many columns as necessary.  What I want is something like a checkbook ledger.  Monthly pay at the top of column F for example.  Then periodic cash register inputs throughout the day in column E.  Each one adding to and updating F through several cells.

I'll also need column D to subtract from F as expenditures occur throughout the day through numerous cells.  Make sense?
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

HawgWild

If D = Payments and E = Deposit/Credit and F= Balance then your formula for F3 is "=F2+E3-D3" given that row 1 is the header and cell F2 has the starting balance.

Russ22

Quote from: HawgWild on January 30, 2018, 03:07:25 pm
If D = Payments and E = Deposit/Credit and F= Balance then your formula for F3 is "=F2+E3-D3" given that row 1 is the header and cell F2 has the starting balance.

I would add that you might want to have it as:

"=F2+SUM(E3:E5002)-SUM(D3:D5002)"

This would sum the 5000 entries (mostly 0 when you start) in E and 5000 entries (mostly 0 when you start) in D.

This would maybe keep you running for a while.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

longtimeHogfan

Thank you both for your input.  I played around with it and came up with  =sum(F4+E5-D5) and drug it down through 100 cells or so and it worked too.  I've definitely made notes of your suggestions.  Thanks again.....

Dumb ole famrboy

Start on row 2

Formula for Cell (F2) = (F1) + (E2)

Copy formula to cells (F3) through (F?)

Added comment
If you want to you can put zero or your beginning balance in Cell (F1)