Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daytona Nationwide race

Started by Flying Razorback, February 23, 2013, 04:00:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

Terrible wreck at the end.  Still no word on how many injured in the stands and if so how severely.  I hope it's not bad.  USA Today is currently saying 4 people were strapped to back boards in the stands awaiting transport.  I'm hoping the lack of helicopters and running people to ambulances is a good sign.

Here's a pretty bad picture right before his car goes through the fence.

Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

HoggyCat

Speed is staying live at the track. They evencame on an hour and a half early to break any news. There will be a presser later on when the facts are assembled.

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Flying Razorback

I'm away from home and don't have Speed here.  Wish I did cause I'd like to stay informed.  Just listened to Clare B. Lang for a bit in the truck and there are people calling in that claim to have been in the area.  I sounds like it was 5 or 6 hurt and maybe up to about 10.  That's low numbers for how bad it looked and I hope it's not serious.  Sounds like helicopters showed up after all though.  Hopefully that's just to speed things up with all the traffic leaving the track.

WYLDHAWG

Adam Alexander on Speed has reported 15 fans have been transported from the track to medical facilities with one in surgery at this time.

BigoBoys

Bad.  Looks like one of the wheels/tires went several rows up in the stands

Flying Razorback

Quote from: BigoBoys on February 23, 2013, 05:03:48 pm
Bad.  Looks like one of the wheels/tires went several rows up in the stands

Ty Dillon re-tweeted a picture of it sitting in like the 25th row or higher.  That's crazy.

Doyle Hograves

I don't think I've ever seen an engine wind up in the stands. The 32 looked terrible. Wow. All drivers treated and released. Prayers for those injured. Kudos to Tony Stewart who I admittedly don't care for, for staying low key in victory lane and keeping those involved as his main focus.
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

HoggyCat

28 treated; 14 in infield, 14 transported. 2 are critical, of those are a minor and a head injury.

Look through these pics, pay attention to the guy laying face down I stands.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/02/23/5211854/kyle-larson-crashes-at-daytona.html

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 23, 2013, 06:28:52 pm
28 treated; 14 in infield, 14 transported. 2 are critical, of those are a minor and a head injury.

Wow, great find. +1. Where did you hear one was a minor?

BigoBoys

I'm sure some security guys took a hit here. 

HoggyCat

Quote from: ArkieRebel on February 23, 2013, 06:50:41 pm
Wow, great find. +1. Where did you hear one was a minor?

Dillner reported it on speed.

jswineberiaskirk

Good race tragic ending. We're so used to everyone walking away from these things. Just a freakish set of circumstances.

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 23, 2013, 08:18:40 pm
Dillner reported it on speed.

I must've already switched it over to the basketball game by then.

Anybody else wonder why they had a press conference? Aside from finding out 28 people were injured, the only thing I heard was Chitwood reiterate that everything was done per protocols, etc... His answers to every question were so generic.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 23, 2013, 06:28:52 pm

Oh wow, terrible. 

I don't know much, and I hate speculating.  But looking at that picture... is his neck broken?

HoggyCat

February 23, 2013, 09:37:11 pm #15 Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:22:58 pm by HoggyCat
Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on February 23, 2013, 09:20:08 pm
Oh wow, terrible. 

I don't know much, and I hate speculating.  But looking at that picture... is his neck broken?

I'm not speculating either, but the wet spot underneath him definitely wasn't fluids from the engine. They're too far up the stands for that.

pigture perfect

Front half of his car, just gone. Praying for those 2 still in critical condition.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

BigoBoys

Quote from: used4wheelerdealer on February 23, 2013, 09:28:27 pm
http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/1229/gallery/p2p-74544536/

More pics.
Incredible.  The one race I attended there I was way up in the stands past the start/finish line.  Next race I attend there will be way up in the stands.  Imagine if this wreck occurred on Sunday. Praying!

Jimmy "theused4wheelerdealer" Watkins from Conway

pigture perfect

ESPN reporting that the 2 who were critical are now stable and non-life threatening. Great news.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

95_alum

:puke:
Quote from: used4wheelerdealer on February 23, 2013, 09:57:42 pm
Not exactly sure what happened here but it wasn't good.

60-lb. wheel at 140mph vs. female spectator =  :puke:

(thanks for posting BTW)
Prayers.

Doyle Hograves

+1 to everybody in this thread for keeping the info coming. Good find on the you tube video as well.

10thPlanet

Sad, I've sat in that very section (give or take) more than once with my kids. Prayers for everyone. You also have to remember the little ones who had to be terrified.

Here is another spectator video from a different angle.  I am going to say that DIS officials will have the infield gate removed permanently.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J9PK3wsX6vo

hogs24

Crazy. Amazing more weren't hurt
Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

Doyle Hograves

February 24, 2013, 09:34:34 am #25 Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:18:15 am by ArkieRebel
Quote from: used4wheelerdealer on February 24, 2013, 07:32:58 am
Here is another spectator video from a different angle.  I am going to say that DIS officials will have the infield gate removed permanently.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J9PK3wsX6vo

Another good find. Did the wheel in the stands go through the pass through gate or over the fence?

Quote from: ArkieRebel on February 24, 2013, 09:34:34 am
Another good find. Did the wheel in the stands to through the pass through gate or over the fence?

It looks to me like it may have gone through the fence.  If the gate wasn't there then I think less people injured and the fence would have contained the larger pieces.

HoggyCat

Definitely went through.

One thing lost in all this......... This is the second type wreck that has started from the front bumper of the same driver....... Keselowski. If I'm in the 500, I hope I'm not at the front of the pack with him close. LOL

hogs24

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 24, 2013, 09:55:28 am
Definitely went through.

One thing lost in all this......... This is the second type wreck that has started from the front bumper of the same driver....... Keselowski. If I'm in the 500, I hope I'm not at the front of the pack with him close. LOL
im not partial to keslowski at all but these wrecks are a product of plate racing not a particular driver imo
Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now.