Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

46 defense

Started by SquidBilly, October 14, 2016, 07:09:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SquidBilly

Given that we are having trouble getting pressure on the QB and stopping the run, should we look at running something like the 46 defense?  We are somewhat deep on the Dline and it would allow LBs like Ramsey to be more part of the pass rush.  Our secondary would be in man coverage most of the game but that should be negated by the extra pressure we should be able to get on the QB.  Coach Smith wants the defense to play faster.  Put them in the 46 where they have an advantage rather than staying in base and see what the guys can do.  I'd much rather see us give up a big play through over aggression rather than watch us stay in base and get gashed constantly.

Hogs run wild

coach smith ain't buddy ryan. i like your thinking though.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

elksnort

Whatever gives the guys the best chance to make some stops.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 14, 2016, 07:09:48 pm
Given that we are having trouble getting pressure on the QB and stopping the run, should we look at running something like the 46 defense?  We are somewhat deep on the Dline and it would allow LBs like Ramsey to be more part of the pass rush.  Our secondary would be in man coverage most of the game but that should be negated by the extra pressure we should be able to get on the QB.  Coach Smith wants the defense to play faster.  Put them in the 46 where they have an advantage rather than staying in base and see what the guys can do.  I'd much rather see us give up a big play through over aggression rather than watch us stay in base and get gashed constantly.
It would put extra defenders in the box but how would you matchup against a spread 2x2 3x1 or empty look. Also who would be that in the box safety who could play run and cover downfield. I don't see that guy on this roster, someone like Turner a couple years ago fit that spot.

Dominicanhog

actually, I had thought a 5 DL front with Randy moving around.. Ellis... and if DJ was ready to go 5 DB's JC, DJ, Cooley, Tollivar and Pulley.. Santos as the sub.. then JL. we're just so thin in the B7..

in times of turmoil, a 30 year old reference is usually the fix.

BigE_23

I don't think you guys understand what is involved with changing your ENTIRE defensive scheme. You don't just say, "we're going to switch to the 46 this week..."

That being said, I absolutely hate everything about our defense 3 years into Rob Smith. The only good year he had, we just happened to field 4 or so guys that ended up playing in the league. The scheme is very passive and reactive...the exact opposite of what we need to be.

So...while I'm not sold on Rob Smith or his scheme, you don't just change your entire defensive scheme from week to week, but we might be making a change from season to season, and I'm ok with that.

hogman99

I have a better 2 prong approach that could change the look in about 5 minutes.

1. Start tackling
2. Defend the middle of the field

Call me crazy, but let's start there.

BigE_23

Quote from: hogman99 on October 15, 2016, 10:27:03 am

1. Start tackling

That's just too easy...it would never work!

Pancetta

I'd like to see us implement rugby style tackling in the offseason. Reduces missed tackles.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Cinco de Hogo

I don't know what it would take scheme wise but I think we need to keep Ellis in the middle of the field at least until he can slide with the ball.  Every time I see him sliding out to follow a player I cringe.  He needs to follow the ball not a player. 

RedyorNot

Quote from: Pancetta on October 15, 2016, 10:46:20 am
I'd like to see us implement rugby style tackling in the offseason. Reduces missed tackles.

Agreed, this flag football stuff is getting nauseating.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Josh Goforth on October 15, 2016, 03:11:46 am
It would put extra defenders in the box but how would you matchup against a spread 2x2 3x1 or empty look. Also who would be that in the box safety who could play run and cover downfield. I don't see that guy on this roster, someone like Turner a couple years ago fit that spot.

God help the QB if the playcall is an empty look against the 46.  You defend the pass by putting your secondary in man.  The TE becomes a non factor because he has to stay in to block and if he does release you still have the MLB there to pick him up.  The 46 with the right personnel lets you get a little exotic on where you bring pressure from.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Karma on October 15, 2016, 08:57:44 am

So I'll put you down as happy with the defense as it currently stands.  Got it.

jcharkansas

Quote from: hogman99 on October 15, 2016, 10:27:03 am

1. Start tackling

That impossible to do

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Karma on October 15, 2016, 08:57:44 am

LOL
[CENSORED]!

Josh Goforth

Quote from: Pancetta on October 15, 2016, 10:46:20 am
They do, Rutgers and Smith with Schiano were some of the first to do that after the kid was injured on kick off.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 15, 2016, 02:34:52 pm
God help the QB if the playcall is an empty look against the 46.  You defend the pass by putting your secondary in man.  The TE becomes a non factor because he has to stay in to block and if he does release you still have the MLB there to pick him up.  The 46 with the right personnel lets you get a little exotic on where you bring pressure from.
Show me a team that runs a 46 against 3x2 or 3x1 sets. There would be an uncovered wr somewhere every play.

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 15, 2016, 02:36:12 pm
So I'll put you down as happy with the defense as it currently stands.  Got it.
I'm just saying the fix for our defense is probably more sophisticated than the equivalent of saying you would press X on Madden.

But I'll do you one better. I think we need to get players that are as good as Singletary and Dan Hampton.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Josh Goforth on October 15, 2016, 03:49:46 pm
Show me a team that runs a 46 against 3x2 or 3x1 sets. There would be an uncovered wr somewhere every play.

My point is you wouldn't see many 3x2 sets because the offense would have to account for the mismatch.  You would always have a RB in to block.  A 3x1 you could cover with the strong safety.