Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ok let's say we fire Rob smith who can we get to replace him ?

Started by tophawg19, October 09, 2016, 07:34:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 10, 2016, 09:14:47 am
DEREK MASON! He wont be at Vandy next year, is a great recruiter (hard to recruit at schools like Vanderbilt though), and is a phenomenal defensive coach
Does Vandy even care enough to fire him?  Or are you saying he will just be looking to get out?

Biggus Piggus

I say let's try letting Robb Smith coordinate the defense instead of being forced to do what Bielema wants.
[CENSORED]!

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 10, 2016, 10:08:46 am
I say let's try letting Robb Smith coordinate the defense instead of being forced to do what Bielema wants.

If that's truly what's going on then Bielema better wise up quick and get out of the way or it's gonna eventually cost him his job.

Let your coordinators coordinate, that's why you hire them.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

sickboy

That's weird, considering Bielema's comments about changing their approach to what their doing on defense yesterday and people being held accountable for how their positional players are playing. Sounds like the opposite. Like Bielema is getting more involved in his defense.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on October 10, 2016, 10:08:31 am
Does Vandy even care enough to fire him?  Or are you saying he will just be looking to get out?
Little of both perhaps lol
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: sickboy on October 10, 2016, 10:15:58 am
That's weird, considering Bielema's comments about changing their approach to what their doing on defense yesterday and people being held accountable for how their positional players are playing. Sounds like the opposite. Like Bielema is getting more involved in his defense.
Yep sounds like Bielema tried to let Rob Smith do his thing, but now has to step in due to lack of production (and development of players) on field
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Piggfoot

Please elaborate.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hogsmo Kramer

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

GolfnHog

I'm willing to see if most of  of the issues are fixed on the back side of the schedule. If not then I'll be ready to entertain a DC change on a permanent basis.

I don't care who gets the job as long as it's a marked improvement in play and tackling. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I read or hear somewhere that CBB doesn't usually hire friends as assistants because the possibility is there he will be in a position that requires him to fire or let them go?

Strong and Mason would be solid and it can be assumed that due to buyouts on their current contracts we could get them at less than market price and still hope for defensive improvements. Rhoades resume is worth the chance as well.

Again, I'll bide my time until this season finishes out.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Danny J

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 10, 2016, 10:20:23 am
Please elaborate.
He is basically saying it's like the BP and WR situation wherein the DC is being forced to work within a very specific framework the head coach has laid out not to mention adjustments or lack thereof. We don't seem to adjust at all. That's why Kiffin was high fiving himself on the sideline on half the play calls because he saw the terrible alignment and mismatches.  We never showed anything but base D which made it super easy for a true freshman to take the play call from the sideline and execute.

code red

Quote from: factchecker on October 09, 2016, 07:37:25 pm
Move Paul Rhoads up.  Hire Mark Stoops when he is fired from Kentucky to coach defensive backs.

or-

Break the bank and hire the Petrino killer- Brent Venebales.  Make him co-head coach and pay him a penny less than Coach Bielema. (not likely but I wish it would happen)
IDK about Rhodes...this secondary is WORSE....you wanta give him the keys???  I respect the opinion but.....at least a couple new assistants have a failing grade to this point.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

NaturalStateReb

Mason is a fantastic defensive coach, but I think he gets another season at Vandy.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

The Kig

Quote from: King Kong on October 09, 2016, 09:33:15 pm
Has you seen Paul Rhoades resume? Nobody with a brain question him becoming DC

No idea who Paul Rhoades is, but not questioning Paul Rhoads (Arkansas coach) resume.  Just saying it's a leap to promote him based on the impact he has made 6 games in here.  He may have been CBB's insurance policy anyway, but we don't know that.  He inherited the worst unit on the team...and as a unit, they remain there. 
Poker Porker

staystraight

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 09, 2016, 07:34:07 pm
realistically both now which some want and at the end of the year ? TOP d/c'S REQUIRE TOP PAY . Do we really believe we are going to put out the million dollar pay day ? We are going to have to boost Enos quite a bit to keep others from getting him . he put 30 on bAMA ]SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE] but for cheating ref's. I can't really come up with a big name in our normal price range . especially one who can recruit well. I think we will have to spend big boy money if we want big boy results .

Paul Rhodes or anyone that can teach tackling.

HAWG MAFIA

hobhog

This is a complete waste of time arguing this now. Let's see what develops in November / December as far as coaching moves go. Smith isn't going anywhere until after bowl game, and doing anything earlier would be HUGE mistake.

lumphog

Quote from: Danny J on October 09, 2016, 09:01:19 pm
Need a DC that not only can coach but more importantly can flat out recruit. Someone like Butch Davis. 
WINNER, WINNER .......THIS would be AWESOME!!!!!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: factchecker on October 09, 2016, 07:37:25 pm
Move Paul Rhoads up.  Hire Mark Stoops when he is fired from Kentucky to coach defensive backs.

or-

Break the bank and hire the Petrino killer- Brent Venebales.  Make him co-head coach and pay him a penny less than Coach Bielema. (not likely but I wish it would happen)
you and GoHogs both! (and me)
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogarusa

We dont need to be firing anyone, would be great to have the same assistants return.  Charlie Strong will never be a coordinator again, he's a head coach
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

PorkSoda

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 09, 2016, 07:45:10 pm

Demote Smith and move Rhoads up to DC to finish the season.  If he works miracles with the defense, keep him as your DC.  If not find another DC.  I just don't think Smith is the answer.  I'm not sure about the D-line coach either, but I don't know if it is him or the overall scheme.
is it your opinion that rhoads doesn't get a say in the defensive game plan?

I highly doubt that.  the defense isn't going to change just by swapping positions.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 09, 2016, 07:48:27 pm
Jim Leavitt   Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

Since we can't get Brent Venables, we should get the person that was Venables' position coach when he was a Linebacker for Kansas State.

COACHING EXPERIENCE

1978-79        Missouri   Graduate Assistant (Defense)
1980-81        Dubuque (Iowa)   Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
1982              Morningside      Special Teams
1983-87        Morningside   Defensive Coordinator
1988-89        Iowa    Intern/Graduate Assistant
1990-91        Kansas State    Linebackers
1992-95        Kansas State    Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
1996-2009   South Florida   Head Coach
2011-14        San Francisco (NFL)   Linebackers
2015-            Colorado      Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

http://www.cubuffs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1065&path=football

One thing about it, if Leavitt were our DC/LBs Coach, we would tackle well and play hard.  Leavitt does not tolerate mediocre tackling and lack of effort.

This.
He was building something special at USF.
He can flat out identify talent and coach it up.

He also has ties in Florida for recruiting.

The suggestion for Butcher Davis is a tie with Leavitt.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: kp72204 on October 09, 2016, 07:53:04 pm
I was thinking Stoops for DC

he might have a deal where he can't take a DC job or he loses his buy out money.. isn't that where Rhoades is today

Dominicanhog

TrueBlue

Quote from: staystraight on October 10, 2016, 07:32:50 pm
John Thompson is a good defensive coach. :razorback:

Talking about a retread.

1982   Arkansas (GA)
1983–1986   Northwestern State (DC)
1987   Alabama (LB)
1988–1989   Northwestern State (DC)
1990–1991   Louisiana Tech (DC)
1992   Southern Miss (DC)
1993–1998   Southern Miss (AHC/DC)
1999   Memphis (DC)
2000   Arkansas (Co-DC)
2001   Arkansas (DC)
2002   Florida (DC/MLB)
2003–2004   East Carolina
2005   South Carolina (Co-DC/ILB)
2006  Central Arkansas (AD)
2007   Ole Miss (DC/DB)
2008–2011   Georgia State (AHC/DC/ILB)
2012–2013   Arkansas State (DC/LB)
2012   Arkansas State (Interim HC)
2013   Arkansas State (Interim HC)
2014–2015   Texas State (DC)

Head coaching record
Overall   5–20

We can do better.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Kevin

someone who would recruit guys who will hit, then be able to teach them to TACKLE
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jackflash

guess you guys don't remember Charlies defensive at South Carolina we tore up pretty ood

JOKERHOG

BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

El Puerco Grande

I can't argue that the product on the field leaves plenty to be desired. But if my memory is correct, the year we hired Robb Smith our defense finished around the top ten in the country. People were saying what a good hire he was. Two seasons later people are calling for his head. I am glad I am not a coach.
How 'bout them hogs?

jackflash

if the NCAA is going to allow 10 coaches I would  go after Mason if Vanderbilt lets him go.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jackflash on October 12, 2016, 04:10:22 pm
guess you guys don't remember Charlies defensive at South Carolina we tore up pretty ood
Charlie Strong is just awful. And he has baggage. And he is just TERRIBLE vs spread teams. His only redeeming quality is he's from Arkansas. THAT isnt on my pre-qualification list , though.

HawgTrough

this is what happens when you stay too long at ARK. Two years ago, he could have pursued a higher profile gig. Arkansas had one of the best defenses in the country going down the stretch and into the Texas Bowl. However, he sticks around here, hits a rough patch, and now he'll take a downward step in his career on the way out.
WPS

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HawgTrough on October 14, 2016, 10:47:48 am
this is what happens when you stay too long at ARK. Two years ago, he could have pursued a higher profile gig. Arkansas had one of the best defenses in the country going down the stretch and into the Texas Bowl. However, he sticks around here, hits a rough patch, and now he'll take a downward step in his career on the way out.
the problem isnt having a bad year. It's having two bad years with regression in important, easily identified areas. That and only having one good year to counterbalance it with. ESPECIALLY when you are a DC for a team the really helps out it's defense with Pro-style and TOP dominance. And when spread teams with less talent have better defenses than us, you gotta start wondering what is going on. I loved Robb Smith when we were top 10 defense. Im just not feeling it now, although I am one inclinded to reserve judgement until after the season is over. But, man, it isn't looking promising for ole Robby.

HawgTrough

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 14, 2016, 10:51:03 am
the problem isnt having a bad year. It's having two bad years with regression in important, easily identified areas. That and only having one good year to counterbalance it with. ESPECIALLY when you are a DC for a team the really helps out it's defense with Pro-style and TOP dominance. And when spread teams with less talent have better defenses than us, you gotta start wondering what is going on. I loved Robb Smith when we were top 10 defense. Im just not feeling it now, although I am one inclinded to reserve judgement until after the season is over. But, man, it isn't looking promising for ole Robby.

I sure hope they get it figured out. This looked like one of the deepest and talented d-lines we've had in awhile. I'm very underwhelmed by them at this point.
WPS

IntegrityHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 09, 2016, 07:48:27 pm
Jim Leavitt   Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

Since we can't get Brent Venables, we should get the person that was Venables' position coach when he was a Linebacker for Kansas State.

COACHING EXPERIENCE

1978-79        Missouri   Graduate Assistant (Defense)
1980-81        Dubuque (Iowa)   Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
1982              Morningside      Special Teams
1983-87        Morningside   Defensive Coordinator
1988-89        Iowa    Intern/Graduate Assistant
1990-91        Kansas State    Linebackers
1992-95        Kansas State    Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
1996-2009   South Florida   Head Coach
2011-14        San Francisco (NFL)   Linebackers
2015-            Colorado      Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

http://www.cubuffs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1065&path=football

One thing about it, if Leavitt were our DC/LBs Coach, we would tackle well and play hard.  Leavitt does not tolerate mediocre tackling and lack of effort.

CBB would not touch Leavitt with a 10-foot pole.  He got fired from South Florida for abusing his players.  That does not jibe with Bret's approach.

BigE_23

Quote from: Kevin on October 09, 2016, 08:08:24 pm
Somebody who will play an attacking style of defense

This...our defensive scheme sucks. No pass rush...no aggression. Painful to watch

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 09, 2016, 08:09:31 pm
Derrick Mason or Ed O as DC next year. Whatever We do please do not bring in Chris Ash. I'd take Randy Shannon as Dc over Chris.

I hope Smith gets it figured out.  I'd much rather keep him if he can get it turned around, but

if you held a banana to my head I say Mason as DC and Ed O as D-Line/Recruiting coordinator.  I'm not anti Segrest per se but if you have a chance to get Ed O you get him. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Cinco de Hogo

Break the bank for a coach worth breaking the bank for!  That's all!

Cords are worth a million plus these days if they are worth a cent.

I would love to have Leavitt for a day or a year.  Add Ed O to that staff for cruiting!

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Bebop on October 09, 2016, 07:51:29 pm
Strong is not a bad option if he gets fired from Texas. To be fair, I don't think Texas is a good fit for Charlie. I bet he is a better D-coordinator than a head coach.

Charlie Strong would be a good choice in the short run because he can recruit Texas and Florida which is critical and he's proven he can build a program at Louisville.  Whether he'd want to stay a DC long term is another question but he would probably be happy as a DC at Arkansas so he might well consider it if he's job hunting in another month.

Pork Twain

Paul Rhoads is my top choice and a move I think we will make before the season is over.

Charlie Strong is a Gruden-type pipe dream as he is a good HC, that has cleaned up two crappy programs.  Texass will just not give him enough time to finish the job.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

GoHogs1091

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 14, 2016, 11:24:38 am
CBB would not touch Leavitt with a 10-foot pole.  He got fired from South Florida for abusing his players.  That does not jibe with Bret's approach.

South Florida was in the wrong.  From the following article.

"Fired South Florida football coach Jim Leavitt filed suit against his former school Monday and is seeking to recoup the more than $7 million left on his contract."

"According to a statement released by Leavitt's attorney, Will Florin, the lawsuit claims that the investigation was "biased, flawed and legally unsupportable" and represented a breach of the seven-year contract Leavitt signed in March 2008."

"The statement also says that South Florida "materially misrepresented statements given by multiple player witnesses, two law enforcement officers and Coach Leavitt himself. That cannot be said to be 'fair.' USF failed entirely to interview several eyewitnesses favorable to Coach Leavitt. That cannot be said to be 'thorough.' "

"The suit also alleges that the school has repeatedly refused to provide copies of witness statements given during the investigation. Florin's statement adds that the school is "either hiding evidence favorable to Coach Leavitt or has destroyed that evidence to avoid being confronted with it."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=4996720

From the following article.

"One year and three days after Jim Leavitt was fired, USF reached a settlement with its former football coach, paying him $2.75 million to resolve the wrongful termination suit he filed after his run as the Bulls' only head coach abruptly ended."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-settles-ex-coach-jim-leavitts-lawsuit-for-275-million/1144945

Besides having to pay Leavitt for wrongful termination, South Florida's football program has not been relevant since they fired Leavitt.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 12, 2016, 07:40:46 pm
Ed orgeron or Charlie Strong.

Well, with Ed, JL would already have his interim coach in place.  ;)

(Just kidding, folks)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 15, 2016, 07:18:17 am
Well, with Ed, JL would already have his interim coach in place.  ;)

(Just kidding, folks)

I confess, that made me smile.   ;D
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

longtimeHogfan

Hiring coaches for any position is a crap shoot.  They can have excellent backgrounds, good recruits, big name mentors, interview well and have good credentials.  But until they've been in the trenches for a couple of years you really don't know what to expect.  I thought Smith had what we needed.  Meh.....I'm not sure. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Mike_e

I don't really know how good a coach Charlie is but if I'm a guy with a good looking wife I'm not going to hire a guy I keep tripping over every time I turn around.

It takes two to tango (and I don't think Mrs. B would be doing any dancing) but it only takes one to foul the air.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

RedyorNot

Id love Mason or Stoops. Stoops buyout including assistants is $18M though, so Kentucky may let him ride it out.