Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ok let's say we fire Rob smith who can we get to replace him ?

Started by tophawg19, October 09, 2016, 07:34:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

realistically both now which some want and at the end of the year ? TOP d/c'S REQUIRE TOP PAY . Do we really believe we are going to put out the million dollar pay day ? We are going to have to boost Enos quite a bit to keep others from getting him . he put 30 on bAMA ]SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE] but for cheating ref's. I can't really come up with a big name in our normal price range . especially one who can recruit well. I think we will have to spend big boy money if we want big boy results .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

factchecker

Move Paul Rhoads up.  Hire Mark Stoops when he is fired from Kentucky to coach defensive backs.

or-

Break the bank and hire the Petrino killer- Brent Venebales.  Make him co-head coach and pay him a penny less than Coach Bielema. (not likely but I wish it would happen)
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

tophawg19

i haven't seen anything from Rhoads  to tell me he would improve us . the DB's aren't playing well. We really need to get away from the bend but don't break defense
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

moto625

Ironhawg

Quote from: factchecker on October 09, 2016, 07:37:25 pm
Move Paul Rhoads up.  Hire Mark Stoops when he is fired from Kentucky to coach defensive backs.

or-

Break the bank and hire the Petrino killer- Brent Venebales.  Make him co-head coach and pay him a penny less than Coach Bielema. (not likely but I wish it would happen)

Demote Smith and move Rhoads up to DC to finish the season.  If he works miracles with the defense, keep him as your DC.  If not find another DC.  I just don't think Smith is the answer.  I'm not sure about the D-line coach either, but I don't know if it is him or the overall scheme.

factchecker

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 09, 2016, 07:44:17 pm
i haven't seen anything from Rhoads  to tell me he would improve us . the DB's aren't playing well. We really need to get away from the bend but don't break defense

Rhoads did good when he was DC at Pitt and I'm not sure how good he was at Auburn but he's highly respected as a DC.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

GoHogs1091

Jim Leavitt   Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

Since we can't get Brent Venables, we should get the person that was Venables' position coach when he was a Linebacker for Kansas State.

COACHING EXPERIENCE

1978-79        Missouri   Graduate Assistant (Defense)
1980-81        Dubuque (Iowa)   Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
1982              Morningside      Special Teams
1983-87        Morningside   Defensive Coordinator
1988-89        Iowa    Intern/Graduate Assistant
1990-91        Kansas State    Linebackers
1992-95        Kansas State    Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
1996-2009   South Florida   Head Coach
2011-14        San Francisco (NFL)   Linebackers
2015-            Colorado      Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

http://www.cubuffs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1065&path=football

One thing about it, if Leavitt were our DC/LBs Coach, we would tackle well and play hard.  Leavitt does not tolerate mediocre tackling and lack of effort.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 09, 2016, 07:45:10 pm

Demote Smith and move Rhoads up to DC to finish the season.  If he works miracles with the defense, keep him as your DC.  If not find another DC.  I just don't think Smith is the answer.  I'm not sure about the D-line coach either, but I don't know if it is him or the overall scheme.

wouldn't work.. They'd have to fire Smith.
This is my non-signature signature.

factchecker

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 09, 2016, 07:48:27 pm
Jim Leavitt   Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

Since we can't get Brent Venables, we should get the person that was Venables' position coach when he was a Linebacker for Kansas State.

COACHING EXPERIENCE

1978-79        Missouri   Graduate Assistant (Defense)
1980-81        Dubuque (Iowa)   Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
1982              Morningside      Special Teams
1983-87        Morningside   Defensive Coordinator
1988-89        Iowa    Intern/Graduate Assistant
1990-91        Kansas State    Linebackers
1992-95        Kansas State    Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
1996-2009   South Florida   Head Coach
2011-14        San Francisco (NFL)   Linebackers
2015-            Colorado      Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

http://www.cubuffs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1065&path=football

One thing about it, if Leavitt were our DC/LBs Coach, we would tackle well and play hard.  Leavitt does not tolerate mediocre tackling and lack of effort.

I like it.  He would have a connection to Bielema via Snyder and Kansas State.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Bebop

Strong is not a bad option if he gets fired from Texas. To be fair, I don't think Texas is a good fit for Charlie. I bet he is a better D-coordinator than a head coach.

kp72204

or-

I was thinking Stoops for DC

GoHogs1091

Quote from: factchecker on October 09, 2016, 07:51:06 pm
I like it.  He would have a connection to Bielema via Snyder and Kansas State.

The following from Leavitt's Bio is good.

"Leavitt, 59, had an immediate impact on the CU program, as the Buffalo defense saw dramatic improvement, finishing seventh in the Pac-12 in total defense (up from 11th the previous year), second in pass defense (from fifth) and had the fifth-largest difference in opponent point differential (11½ points) in the nation."

jm

We have to figure out some way to field a competitive defense. It does not matter who we hire, it won't be much worse than the D is now. I don't that firing Rob Smith is the answer, but something has to be done.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

SpeedyHog

Derrick Mason or Ed O as DC next year. Whatever We do please do not bring in Chris Ash. I'd take Randy Shannon as Dc over Chris.
Call Me Trumpton.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 09, 2016, 08:09:31 pm
Derrick Mason or Ed O as DC next year. Whatever We do please do not bring in Chris Ash. I'd take Randy Shannon as Dc over Chris.

Isn't Ash HC at Rutgers?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

SpeedyHog

Call Me Trumpton.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

SpeedyHog

Quote from: Kevin on October 09, 2016, 08:19:17 pm
Gave up 70 to Michigan
My bad. I still can't believe We could not get a win over Rutgers. Bad timing.
Call Me Trumpton.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 09, 2016, 07:50:39 pm
wouldn't work.. They'd have to fire Smith.

You're probably right.  Just trying to let the guy save face.

HOGINTENNESSEE

or-

GOHOGS just creamed himself

Kevin

Find an enos type at the mid major level
It worked for the offense 

SpeedyHog

Quote from: Kevin on October 09, 2016, 08:26:10 pm
Find an enos type at the mid major level
It worked for the offense
That doesn't always work.
Call Me Trumpton.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 09, 2016, 08:30:54 pm

That doesn't always work.

And hiring a Big Name always does? (this is a rhetorical question as the answer is no)

SpeedyHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 09, 2016, 08:34:24 pm
And hiring a Big Name always does? (this is a rhetorical question as the answer is no)
I just want a DC that can produce a good D. Don't care if it's a no name or big name.
Call Me Trumpton.

Danny J

Need a DC that not only can coach but more importantly can flat out recruit. Someone like Butch Davis. 

King Kong

Quote from: Danny J on October 09, 2016, 09:01:19 pm
Need a DC that not only can coach but more importantly can flat out recruit. Someone like Butch Davis.

I would love for Butch Davis to be involved somewhere in our program

When your players are a bit slower than the competition and when your players weigh a bit less than the competition and are not as football smart as the competition, you aren't likely to COACH them as well as the competition.  We need overall better talent.

The Kig

Can't blame Rhoads for the state of the DB's already being awful before he got here, but you also can't promote him if the unit doesn't get any better under his watch.
Poker Porker

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Kevin

Just saw Ron zook on packer sidelines. He was awesome as DC in Florida

SpeedyHog

Call Me Trumpton.

King Kong

Quote from: The Kig on October 09, 2016, 09:11:51 pm
Can't blame Rhoads for the state of the DB's already being awful before he got here, but you also can't promote him if the unit doesn't get any better under his watch.

Has you seen Paul Rhoades resume? Nobody with a brain question him becoming DC

ronmahony

I think Ed O. Would be great, he could recruit Louisana, they could understand each other. I would imagine if LSU goes with someone else, he will be looking for a job.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

root_hawg

If Houston coach goes to texas and FSU coach stays.... not sure who they get.  Coach O would be a nice recruiting tool to pick up.

MJ2

goodguytex

Quote from: MJ2 on October 10, 2016, 07:52:27 am
Joe Lee Dunn?   
Is he even still alive? If so, gotta be on up there by now.

Bielema has proven already at Arkansas he's very willing to make necessary changes if he sees what's being done isn't effective and isn't working.

I fully expect if our defense doesn't improve as the year goes on that bielema will make changes, and replace Smith if he's the problem. This year needs to play out one game at a time.

Bielema I believe was DC at Wisconsin before becoming HC. So he knows a thing or 2 about that side of the ball. So he's got some kind of idea what the problem is.

I think we as fans just need to try to see what adjustments are made by the next game.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: MJ2 on October 10, 2016, 07:52:27 am
Joe Lee Dunn?   

Interesting name. Pioneer.

Past his prime, never gonna happen. Just thank Joe Kines and Danny Ford for bringing him here for a lil while.
This is my non-signature signature.

thebignasty

I love Orgeron and think would should make moves to accommodate him if he's available and we can get him- not sure he's a DC though. Hes a cajun right reverend. Think he's better as a position coach. Give me a strategist at DC.

redleg

Robb Smith's replacement is already on campus! Paul Rhoads was one of the best defensive coordinators in the nation when he was at Pitt and Auburn. Pitt's defense was consistently in the top 10 in most defensive statistical categories.
Also, I want to see Arkansas move to a 3-4 defense. We have the talent to do it, and it would make our defense faster.

PAUL RHOADS!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

jjdlc

Rhoads is better than he is getting credit for.  Our secondary, while not great, is improved from last year, albeit that didn't take much.  Considering what he was given to work with, and then all the injuries on top of that...

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

DEREK MASON! He wont be at Vandy next year, is a great recruiter (hard to recruit at schools like Vanderbilt though), and is a phenomenal defensive coach
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Dionysos25

Get an O-Line that doesn't put the D back on the field every 5 seconds. 28pts off turnovers. Our D isn't great due to injuries/lack of depth.. but our O-line is our issue.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

thebignasty

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 10, 2016, 09:14:47 am
DEREK MASON! He wont be at Vandy next year, is a great recruiter (hard to recruit at schools like Vanderbilt though), and is a phenomenal defensive coach

I love this idea.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 10, 2016, 09:14:47 am

I could see this as a realistic option.

My first choice would be Strong if/when he's let go, but not sure that'd pan out.

Mason would be 1b for me.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

yraciv

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 09, 2016, 08:14:08 pm
Yes but He's about to be fired. Gave up 70 points to Ohio St yesterday.

First year at the program. His job is safe.