Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clay Travis on Arkansas Replacement

Started by FutureMan, November 05, 2017, 11:08:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FutureMan

Just an FYI for anyone interested,  in Clay Travis's column today he predicts which jobs will be open and which coach will fill it:

"Here's my prediction on who each school hires: Florida: Scott Frost, Tennessee: Dan Mullen, UCLA: Chip Kelly, Nebraska: Mike Leach, Arkansas: Mike Norvell, and Texas A&M: Chad Morris."

Source: https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/starting-11-big-ten-dead-edition/
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Dark Helmet Hog

hogfanmd

Quote from: FutureMan on November 05, 2017, 11:08:40 am
Just an FYI for anyone interested,  in Clay Travis's column today he predicts which jobs will be open and which coach will fill it:

"Here's my prediction on who each school hires: Florida: Scott Frost, Tennessee: Dan Mullen, UCLA: Chip Kelly, Nebraska: Mike Leach, Arkansas: Mike Norvell, and Texas A&M: Chad Morris."

Source: https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/starting-11-big-ten-dead-edition/

He should add ms state to the list if Mullen going to UT ??

jst01

Can he recruit and do it well? We need some dudes on defense that play like they are pissed off at the world.

FutureMan

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 05, 2017, 11:10:40 am
Norvell would be a great fit.

I agree, it does seem like it would work.  I know coaching hires isn't an exact science but he ticks most of the boxes I am personally looking for.  Experience would be my biggest concern, but sometimes you just have to take a gamble. 
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

hawgmasta

That works for me. Dude has gotten high praise from anyone he has ever coached under and is winning.

shown006

Not a big Travis fan...but I hope he's right on this one.
WPS!

ipigsooie

Not only do I like our new coach with this prediction,the rest seems pretty spot on. Never thought about Mullen to ut but makes sense.

FutureMan

Quote from: shown006 on November 05, 2017, 11:18:11 am
Not a big Travis fan...but I hope he's right on this one.

Yeah, he's a bit of an ass and I think a lot of the time he says stuff more for the effect than the credibility; but he - at times - makes interesting points and at the very least provides a counterpoint argument that I sometimes do not consider.
- E.E. Cummings

aloha_kid

Sumlin, Butch Davis, or Charlie Strong.

The_Iceman

Quote from: aloha_kid on November 05, 2017, 11:33:04 am
Sumlin, Butch Davis, or Charlie Strong.

No more retreads. I want fresh and new. Norvell, Chad Morris, or Brent Venables for me!

jgphillips3

I know, just like Petrino, there could be an amazing surprise, but like Bielema there could be a WTH moment to.  So, right now, I'd take Norvell in a heartbeat;  low cost, Low risk, high reward move.  If he doesn't work, next.  That's football.  But, his intelligence, desire for the job, familiarity with the State, Texas roots, innovative offense, ability to adapt and motivate all look like a good fit.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 05, 2017, 11:34:48 am
No more retreads. I want fresh and new. Norvell, Chad Morris, or Brent Venables for me!

JOKERHOG

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 05, 2017, 11:36:06 am
I know, just like Petrino, there could be an amazing surprise, but like Bielema there could be a WTH moment to.  So, right now, I'd take Norvell in a heartbeat;  low cost, Low risk, high reward move.  If he doesn't work, next.  That's football.  But, his intelligence, desire for the job, familiarity with the State, Texas roots, innovative offense, ability to adapt and motivate all look like a good fit.

agreed, he is everything the beliema hire was not
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Ironhawg

Mike Leach to Nebraska?  IMO the folks in Nebraska wouldn't know what to make of the pirate.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 05, 2017, 11:34:48 am

This^^^
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hoggie17

I would be happy with Mike Norvell. I don't want anyone that has never been a HC.

seasonhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 05, 2017, 11:36:06 am

No stupid buy out contract.....3 years .......free pass.

Matt Burks

Quote from: jst01 on November 05, 2017, 11:14:05 am
Can he recruit and do it well? We need some dudes on defense that play like they are pissed off at the world.
He's known as a top notch recruiter at all his stops.

lumphog

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 05, 2017, 11:10:40 am
Norvell would be a great fit.
YES.... He would, BUT... since someone has already predicted it, Won't happen... Look for LEACH

Matt Burks

Quote from: lumphog on November 05, 2017, 01:46:13 pm
YES.... He would, BUT... since someone has already predicted it, Won't happen... Look for LEACH
Serious question, what good running back will want to play in the air raid offense? I think his offensive style works out in the PAC, but I don't see it working well against SEC opponents that often. I'd rather see what was proven to work here not so long ago, the Petrino power spread, or even the Gus style of spread - which is what Norvell, Morris, Fuentes and others operate. In fact, Fuentes changed his offense after spending several days talking with Norvell.

HogTakes

lumphog

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 05, 2017, 01:52:09 pm
Serious question, what good running back will want to play in the air raid offense? I think his offensive style works out in the PAC, but I don't see it working well against SEC opponents that often. I'd rather see what was proven to work here not so long ago, the Petrino power spread, or even the Gus style of spread - which is what Norvell, Morris, Fuentes and others operate. In fact, Fuentes changed his offense after spending several days talking with Norvell.
I'd be ALL IN... on Norvell, but, "IF" Leach can win where he's been, I believe he can win here.. he's recruited Texas, has Texas ties, is an offensive guru, has HC experience . . . and would run a different style in the SEC. I'd take Norvell, he's my 1st choice, but I don't think Long is that smart, so... I'd be happy with THE PIRATE!!!!

ThisTeetsTaken

Does Norvell base his offense off running the ball?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Hawginj

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 05, 2017, 03:21:33 pm
Does Norvell base his offense off running the ball?
Yes he runs a balanced spread philosophy he believes in running the ball and throwing over the top of defenses.

ChicoHog

Quote from: lumphog on November 05, 2017, 02:25:03 pm
I'd be ALL IN... on Norvell, but, "IF" Leach can win where he's been, I believe he can win here.. he's recruited Texas, has Texas ties, is an offensive guru, has HC experience . . . and would run a different style in the SEC. I'd take Norvell, he's my 1st choice, but I don't think Long is that smart, so... I'd be happy with THE PIRATE!!!!
Leach is a terrible recruiter.  We don't want him. 

JONAS

Quote from: HogTakes on November 05, 2017, 02:09:11 pm
Ole Miss should be on Clay's list...

They are going to have a hard time finding someone until the NCAA announces their sanctions. 

Locutus_of_Boar

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/clay-travis-makes-predictions-chip-kelly-mike-leach-will-land-next-season

Here's my prediction on who each school hires: Florida: Scott Frost, Tennessee: Dan Mullen, UCLA: Chip Kelly, Nebraska: Mike Leach, Arkansas: Mike Norvell, and Texas A&M: Chad Morris.

ShadowTheHedgehog

The Hawg Marshal

I guess he figures that no one is willing to pay Campbell's buyout.

Deep Shoat

Good grief I hope not.

When I want basketball score I watch basketball.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on November 05, 2017, 05:32:20 pm
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/clay-travis-makes-predictions-chip-kelly-mike-leach-will-land-next-season

Here's my prediction on who each school hires: Florida: Scott Frost, Tennessee: Dan Mullen, UCLA: Chip Kelly, Nebraska: Mike Leach, Arkansas: Mike Norvell, and Texas A&M: Chad Morris.
Interesting: so he thinks Mullen will get an "upgrade" by going to UT. Well....on second thought he IS currently in (ends of the earth) Starkville.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Hawginj on November 05, 2017, 04:16:02 pm
Yes he runs a balanced spread philosophy he believes in running the ball and throwing over the top of defenses.
No matter what type of offense the next coach runs big boy football is still and will always be about running the ball and stopping the other team from running the ball.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Hawginj

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 05, 2017, 05:46:31 pm
No matter what type of offense the next coach runs big boy football is still and will always be about running the ball and stopping the other team from running the ball.
I don't disagree one bit

The_Iceman

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 05, 2017, 05:43:27 pm
Good grief I hope not.

Wake up, it isn't the 1990's anymore.

kid squealer

a lot of chatter concerning Norvell to Arkansas on hogville.  I am wondering if he will even be around by the time the deed is done with Bielema.
SMITE ME JACKWAGONS!!!  I NEED TO BE THE -1 KING!!!

hobhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 05, 2017, 05:43:27 pm
Good grief I hope not.

Fire Norvell!!

What. Too soon?

hobhog

Quote from: kid squealer on November 05, 2017, 05:57:51 pm
a lot of chatter concerning Norvell to Arkansas on hogville.  I am wondering if he will even be around by the time the deed is done with Bielema.

Things work behind the scenes long before we hear about them....

lumphog

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 05, 2017, 04:43:43 pm
Leach is a terrible recruiter.  We don't want him. 
Well... He does MORE with LESS

Hoggish1

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 05, 2017, 05:45:55 pm
Interesting: so he thinks Mullen will get an "upgrade" by going to UT. Well....on second thought he IS currently in (ends of the earth) Starkville.

Getting away from those cowbells is a huge upgrade...LMAO

The Pulse

jjfmetal11

Why in the #$@# would Mulllen go to Tenner... ???   I say not a chance!

Fire Bielema!

King Kong

Quote from: kid squealer on November 05, 2017, 05:57:51 pm

Unless Norvell takes a job during the season yes.

It is a absolute myth that firing a coach during the season improves chances of hiring a sitting coach

chiefhawg

Who is Norvell's agent? That is the person that will be doing the negotiating.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Norvell would be a fine pick.  He was once hired by malzahn.  His growing and playing days were in the Dallas / ft worth metroplex.  The best high school football in the country takes place in that region. He was recruited to play at Irving Grace Prep.  Peers call him extremely fooball smart.  Definitely a top up and comer.  I'd love to see him at Arkansas, or will JL go with that dumb "hiring a proven D1 coach" nonsense.  What?  You gonna get Saban or Meyer or Dabo or Chip? Lol. I dont think so. You can however hire that proven D1 coach that steadily gets their butts kicked by the coaches named above, or you can go with Norvell.

ChicoHog

Quote from: jjfmetal11 on November 05, 2017, 06:28:35 pm

Fire Bielema!

Let's see, 100K in the stands every Saturday, great tradition, much easier to recruit, east division, more national prominence and probably more money.  Why not? 

onebadrubi

Quote from: jjfmetal11 on November 05, 2017, 06:28:35 pm

Fire Bielema!

Because he can win the division there every couple years

redleg

I would think Mullen's contract states that he cannot leave Miss St for another SEC school (which would include Tennessee, of course). Is that not the case?  ???
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Hawg Red

Not going to get wrapped up in who I want hired. I would just hope that Long has thoroughly evaluated the situation and found where things might have went wrong with Bielema. We may not end up doing better than Bret, but it's time to go ahead and go down the path of finding out because he is not the answer (clearly).

The next few of years are going to suck on Hogville because we'll either still have Bielema as coach or we'll have to put up with a bunch of impatient fans as the new coaches gets his program established. Would hope the next rebuild is quicker compared to the John L. Smith transition.