Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 19, 2024, 06:32:09 am

Sorry To Hear About Chavis

Started by TennesseeVol, January 11, 2018, 06:43:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TennesseeVol

I like seeing all SEC teams doing well and hearing whom was hired for your Defensive Coordinator position put me into disbelief. You are on track for disaster. We didn't hive him the name Third and Chavis out of a whim....he earned it.

We had some great teams during his stay here but as time wore on he became exposed. Keep in mind, on the other side of the ball, we had productive offenses led by Peyton Manning, Tee Martin, Eric Ainge and others. Our offenses could overshadow many weaknesses on the other side of the ball. Keep this in mind.

John is not a good recruiter but Fulmer, Rodney Garner and other top recruiters brought in a pipeline of future NFL players on both sides of the ball. It became evident that Chavis had to have far superior talent to overcome his method of play. He doesn't have his defensive backs playing aggressively. Instead, he relied on outstanding line play with a deep talent pool while having the DB's play soft. If the line cannot bull rush over the offensive line then it is easy to roll up the first downs. A ten yard cushion is the standard for the corners. They let the receiver catch the ball then come up for the tackle. The more yardage that is needed on third down the easier it is for the opposing offense to get it because the backs play even softer. Third and ten is easier to obtain than third and four. Third and fifteen is easier than third and ten. He keeps doing this year after year and hopes the results will be different. 'Third and Chavis' was gave to him because of his insane give away scheme. When he comes up against good offenses then he doesn't then have the talent edge and he is made to look like the fool that he is.

No lead is big enough to be safe against what he can give away with his infamous Mustang soft play. We wanted the athletic director to make a rule that he can only go into his soft play when we have at least a 21 point lead and there is only one minute, or less, left in the game. He can give it all away with ease. Against California, in spite of his foolish coaching, our offense came back to take the lead with less than two minutes left in the game. Oh no! He had his backs giving big cushions until they moved down to the goal line. On the two yard line with only a few seconds left the TV cameras showed Cal's offensive coordinator, Norm Chow, laughing and throwing his ear phones. He knew Chavis was giving him the game on the next play. Chavis had our corners playing five yards deep in the end zone. The quarterback just zipped the ball to a receiver as soon as he got his hands on the ball. The corners couldn't recover because they were so soft. Game over. Given away.

We told LSU and A&M fans what would happen but got chastised. They saw how he did and was glad to be rid of him. I can't believe he keeps getting hired. Couldn't you get a junior high coach to take the DC position or get someone out of the stands to come down and take the job? You guys are sunk. Unbelievable and terrible hire!!

King Kong

Yeah, UT has really benefited from Chavis leaving.

How many win in a row will it be after Vandy beat UT again this season?

RaisinHog

swineology

Not like we've been stopping teams on 3rd down up til now. At least Caldwell will bring in talent until Venables gets here.

TomasPistola

Quote from: TennesseeVol on January 11, 2018, 06:43:01 pm
I like seeing all SEC teams doing well and hearing whom was hired for your Defensive Coordinator position put me into disbelief. You are on track for disaster. We didn't hive him the name Third and Chavis out of a whim....he earned it.

We had some great teams during his stay here but as time wore on he became exposed. Keep in mind, on the other side of the ball, we had productive offenses led by Peyton Manning, Tee Martin, Eric Ainge and others. Our offenses could overshadow many weaknesses on the other side of the ball. Keep this in mind.

John is not a good recruiter but Fulmer, Rodney Garner and other top recruiters brought in a pipeline of future NFL players on both sides of the ball. It became evident that Chavis had to have far superior talent to overcome his method of play. He doesn't have his defensive backs playing aggressively. Instead, he relied on outstanding line play with a deep talent pool while having the DB's play soft. If the line cannot bull rush over the offensive line then it is easy to roll up the first downs. A ten yard cushion is the standard for the corners. They let the receiver catch the ball then come up for the tackle. The more yardage that is needed on third down the easier it is for the opposing offense to get it because the backs play even softer. Third and ten is easier to obtain than third and four. Third and fifteen is easier than third and ten. He keeps doing this year after year and hopes the results will be different. 'Third and Chavis' was gave to him because of his insane give away scheme. When he comes up against good offenses then he doesn't then have the talent edge and he is made to look like the fool that he is.

No lead is big enough to be safe against what he can give away with his infamous Mustang soft play. We wanted the athletic director to make a rule that he can only go into his soft play when we have at least a 21 point lead and there is only one minute, or less, left in the game. He can give it all away with ease. Against California, in spite of his foolish coaching, our offense came back to take the lead with less than two minutes left in the game. Oh no! He had his backs giving big cushions until they moved down to the goal line. On the two yard line with only a few seconds left the TV cameras showed Cal's offensive coordinator, Norm Chow, laughing and throwing his ear phones. He knew Chavis was giving him the game on the next play. Chavis had our corners playing five yards deep in the end zone. The quarterback just zipped the ball to a receiver as soon as he got his hands on the ball. The corners couldn't recover because they were so soft. Game over. Given away.

We told LSU and A&M fans what would happen but got chastised. They saw how he did and was glad to be rid of him. I can't believe he keeps getting hired. Couldn't you get a junior high coach to take the DC position or get someone out of the stands to come down and take the job? You guys are sunk. Unbelievable and terrible hire!!

A Tennessee program that is more of a dumpster fire than ours is trying to tell us about our coach hiring when they embarrassed the entire SEC with their pandering to Clay Travis and some rock painters is very funny to me.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Razorpigg

To quote the awesome 80's rock band Cinderella..."Don't know what ya got til it's gone".  Get off your high horse, it fell over when y'all fired Phil and Chavis left. Sucked ever since and sucked terribly. Vanderbilt owns y'all, so please sthu and go troll somewhere else.

ricepig

Quote from: swineology on January 11, 2018, 06:49:12 pm
Not like we've been stopping teams on 3rd down up til now. At least Caldwell will bring in talent until Venables gets here.

Hell.....it will be an accomplishment to get to third down, baby steps.....

PygmalionEffect2

Evidently gorillas aren't very good at distinguishing a legitimate warning from an opposing fan base vs a troll.

This reminds me of our fans warning ole miss about Houston Nutt.

And of course their dense fans scoffed at us just like we're doing to this guy.

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

The OTR

On behalf of hogville I would like to welcome you to our board.  You are a breath of fresh air and a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day.

I hope you stick around to guide us throughout the off season.  If we've done anything else wrong please hammer out another semi lucid diatribe.  I for one can't wait. I hope you post more about hives.

Johnny Bobo

I believe you

Vantage 8 dude

Dropkick

Can't believe Pruitt didn't turn UT down like the rest of the coaching fraternity. You guys are always gonna get Gruden or Jimbo or Gundy but you keep ending up with Dooley, Jones, Pruitt, etc. Kiffin couldn't wait to put y'all in his rear view mirror.

DeltaBoy

Sour Grapes by a Tinner fan.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Well what a heart warming story of how you want all SEC programs to succeed. Gosh, what a real sweetheart and warm heated guy you are. BTW if appears that you as a Vol fan have MORE than enough issues to deal with to worry about our latest hire(s). Hell, you could barely hire an AD until your "retread" of a former HC can and bailed your collective "chest nuts" out of the fire. So take your trolling act somewhere they give a damn what you think.

TeufelHog

I guess we'll see, but doesn't this thread look eerily like the one's we participated in when Nutt went to Ole Miss . . . YEPPER!

hoghappy

Sigh! He hasn't coached a down yet in Arkansas. I am believing that he is an upgrade over our last guy. Until then, I'm happy with the hiring.. but I am just a fan who may or may not go to a game next year, but I will be following every one.

PorkSoda

Quote from: TeufelHog on January 15, 2018, 07:03:46 pm
I guess we'll see, but doesn't this thread look eerily like the one's we participated in when Nutt went to Ole Miss . . . YEPPER!
we tried to warn OM fans about Nutter Butter.  Wisky fans tried to warn us about Bret.  I haven't heard any fans from previous schools complain about Morris. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 15, 2018, 07:34:59 pm
we tried to warn OM fans about Nutter Butter.  Wisky fans tried to warn us about Bret.  I haven't heard any fans from previous schools complain about Morris. 
That's a good point I hadn't really thought of. I read a couple of Clemson fans trying to downgrade what he did at Clemson but that's about it.

I've not read one or heard of one negative account coming out of SMU or from a SMU fan.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Vantage 8 dude

Whether or not Chavis turns out to be a good or bad hire will only be seen based on the future. Therefore, that's uncertain. However, what ISN'T up for debate is you'll still be a poor delusional and pathetic Vol fan.

Vantage 8 dude

Well I suppose it ultimately comes down to one's perspective now doesn't it ??? Been discussing this with several (six) LONGGGG time Vol fans and they were to a person bemoaning the fact that somehow they couldn't get the Chief back to Knoxville. They said the Tenny defense has never consistently been the same tough bunch they were when Chavis was there. These folks aren't the type to "soft soap" their opinions and attitudes for the mere sake of being polite. So make of it what you will........