Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Excuse, An Explanation, and a Need for Changes

Started by FANONTHEHILL, October 08, 2017, 08:44:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigsknuckles

It's deeper than identity. Arkansas has lost it's soul. They have vitually ceased to exist, and no longer exhibit any degree of relevance. We have become a non-team.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

DeltaHog66

Just my opinion, but Anderson is in over his head.  One thing is for sure, they can no longer say that Brian Wallace can't play because he doesn't know the play book. Because it's quite obvious some others don't either or just completely whiff.  It's damn near impossible that he could do any worse than what's currently being put out there. Anderson is a big part of bielema's demise. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DeltaHog66 on October 08, 2017, 02:23:09 pm
Just my opinion, but Anderson is in over his head.  One thing is for sure, they can no longer say that Brian Wallace can't play because he doesn't know the play book. Because it's quite obvious some others don't either or just completely whiff.  It's damn near impossible that he could do any worse than what's currently being put out there. Anderson is a big part of bielema's demise. 

There is more to it than just that, but I am not an Anderson fan at this point either.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaHog66

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 08, 2017, 02:24:26 pm
There is more to it than just that, but I am not an Anderson fan at this point either.

I don't disagree with you, but in my opinion, the offensive line has either regressed or at the very least not improved at all from last year.

Tick Hog

Couldn't agree more. Look at NMst. They know they're OL is weak and they plan and play off that. Back the QB up and call plays that get the damn ball out of his hands. We can't run for crap so no one cares about the PA stuff. BB doesn't want to be the team that backs up and throws 50+ times a game with the occasional draw and screen to the RB but that's the only way to win this year. It's what it has come to. Until BB accepts that this team isn't going to line up and power over anybody in the SEC this year, AA and team will continue to get their brains beat in.

radar

I truly feel bad for the players and their families, I know the sacrifices they make.

Dr. Starcs

Appreciate the thoughts, but why are we just hearing about this now? Little too late if you ask me.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DeltaHog66 on October 08, 2017, 02:28:08 pm
I don't disagree with you, but in my opinion, the offensive line has either regressed or at the very least not improved at all from last year.

Let's discuss this for a moment.

Do you believe that the players aren't motivated to be the best that they can be? I don't. I think that they are highly motivated.

What does that leave then? The scheme? The technique? Perhaps a lot of that which was stated in the OP of this thread?

I think that some of these kids lack mental toughness and to some degree, that isn't their fault because that is taught.

We have an O-Line coach who came from the NFL where they tend to throw the ball more than we do. Pass blocking is easier than run blocking but you can't pass block effectively when you 1) have more coming than you can block, 2) don't possess the superior athleticism on the edges of the line to pass block speed rushers and maintain leverage and 3) don't have the superior athleticism with receivers that can bend routes and find open spots quickly that offers the QB an opportunity for a quicker release so that he doesn't always have rushers in his face. "Hot" or " dump off" routes really help the QB from getting killed when he has no other alternative and provide at least a chance for a gain.

Run blocking requires a different and more aggressive attitude among O-Linemen. Controlled aggression, but aggressiveness nonetheless that possesses an attitude that you will never get beaten, no matter what. We had O-Linemen getting knocked off of and in back of the LOS yesterday which ruined a lot of plays that required pulling to trap or otherwise block within the play scheme. The best athlete cannot get through or around a team mate that is knocked back into the backfield.

So I don't disagree with you that overall production by the O-Line isn't better, but I think it is more a problem of being scouted very well, seeing and knowing our tendencies by play and being a victim of poor coaching and scheming. I can place blame on players who allow themselves to get beaten at the LOS because that is a mental thing for players, but you also have to scheme better and be less predictable in order to give them a better chance for success.

Lot's of things going wrong here but it isn't just the fault of the O-Linemen. They certainly bear some responsibility but I put more responsibility for these results on the staff, O-line Coach and OC.
Go Hogs Go!

The easiest thing for any human to alter or lose is mindset.  The mental aspects of anything can and will change the outcome of winning or losing.  We don't have an identify, mental toughness, soul, and not least of all, proper training.  We cheat these players every time they hit the field, OSU didn't lose to TCU 2 weeks ago because they were the inferior team.  OU didn't lose to Iowa State because they were the inferior team.  Both lost due to mindset.

ANYWAY, here is the position I take.  BB is the leader and he should be replaced, period.  The results are not acceptable, the time allowed for results has expired, case closed.  The same for the AD.  I really don't care why.  We can mull that all day.  Right now we are pissing away money, time and players careers dealing with a leadership situation that has no known way of getting better.  Time is up.  Now we need upper management to act.  Life isn't easy, difficult things need to be addressed.  Time to stop talking and start doing.

Recently the U.S. Navy had 3 ship collisions at sea over a 12 month period, causing loss of life,  loss of revenue, loss of stature, etc..  They fired the Admiral of the particular fleet and likely a person who had absolutely nothing to do with any of the collisions other than being the head man in charge way up the ladder when these things happened.  Get the picture.

JackTNHogfan

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on October 08, 2017, 02:02:07 pm
I thought their identity was Uncommon, blue collar, bring your lunch pale, embrace it fully. What happened to that or was that just more smoke up our ass?

It was bull crap they force fed us.  We need some "common" dudes on this team. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JackTNHogfan on October 08, 2017, 03:23:40 pm

What is your definition of "common dudes"?
Go Hogs Go!

PygmalionEffect2

Interesting observations by the OP.

I do agree with the observation that we aren't able to establish the run consistently against SEC teams and thus the play action game isn't as effective.

Quick throws should keep the defense more honest and keep them from consistently blitzing when we aren't able to keep them honest with the run.  We started doing more of this lately but most of it has been into the flat with inconsistent results. 

I think AA is too short to throw the quick slant over the middle.  Why else would we not be trying more quick throws over the middle?

One thing I'm not agreeing with is that we've changed our recruiting strategy to only recruit leaner linemen for the passing game.

I just can't picture Bielema looking over a list of 4 star linemen and excluding a talented 4 star because "he's too large for our new passing system"

Bielema doesn't have that luxury.  If he's rated as SEC material coming out of high school, Bielema will go after him.  What's happened lately is we've had to take the best in-state talent because we are unable to sign 4 star out of state talent since Pittman left.

In-state talent tends to try harder and develop past expectations due to intangibles I guess, and in some cases being under-rated by the agencies, but it's worrisome.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

PonderinHog

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: fullfan on October 08, 2017, 09:01:37 am

I do not think most teams the hogs play are worried about the run game and that is an issue.

Our run game often features our RB....running behind an overmatched OL... into an unblocked, stacked DL, at the LOS.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

carolinahogger

"Identity" and "knowing who you are" are just sports talk BS buzzwords.  The OL can't pass block or run block well enough to run our offensive scheme.

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on October 08, 2017, 01:58:35 pm
I think he has seven games to change the scheme.  They aren't built to be a power rush team.  The situation with the OL is because that wanted to bring in smaller guys that could get out on screens and draws and open up the playbook.  They still approach the game like its three years ago.  They've built a finesse team and want people to think it's power based.  When they ran the ball agaisnt NMSU and the media kept saying, " that's Arkansas football", that was the worst thing they could hear.  Power rushing isn't who they are in the SEC. It's not 2014 anymore. I want this staff to succeed, but unless they adapt, all jobs are in jeopardy.  Top to bottom. That's just my opinion and I'm sure it's not worth much.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully things get better.

Redhogs

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 08, 2017, 10:14:15 am
While I wouldn't disagree I have to also pose a major question. The coaching staff has been a virtual revolving door the past several years, in fact almost the whole of CBB's tenure, and yet we still have many of the same problems and issues to deal with each and every year. While the techniques/schemes might not being addressed by a specific coach, what does one make of the apparent lack of effort by many players, What does one make of the lack of half time adjustments week in-week out, how does a fan account for the continued second half collapses of our teams during multiple seasons? Who do we see concerning our inability to come back once we have fallen behind.

If we're going to put much of the blame of the staff, and we most certainly should, who do we look at first? Who's the head guy; who's the ultimate author of this mess? Who's the guy who continues to make some of these hires? Who's the guy who obviously continues to have no clue as to how to fix these issues? Who do we look to to be the actual "man in charge"?
you are right of course, Bert has done nothing but hire and fire assistants since he has been here. No more time or scapegoats for him...HE IS THE PROBLEM.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

MTBrookHog

Are we stressing technique so much that we are overthinking not screwing up, and screwing up. In other words, is our heads getting in the way of playing football?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 08, 2017, 03:45:26 pm
Academic risks that like to hit people.

That's a really good and likely road to attrition and recruiting failures.
Go Hogs Go!

Pecos Hog

Quote from: 26.2Hog on October 08, 2017, 09:07:42 am
I agree about the offensive line.

But it doesn't stop there.  Our defense is impotent.  And special teams are poor.

Other than a few skill positions, we look slow, weak, and lost.

We don't just LOOK slow, weak, and lost.    We are.     And these things will not magically change for us this season.   

MuskogeeHogFan

Our defense is impotent.

That's just incorrect. Our defense isn't perfect, but given the transition to the 3-4 in the first year, they have played well enough for us to win if the offense were clicking. We have the #40 defense in all of the NCAA Div I averaging 350 yards in total defense allowed per game. Who among those ranked as highly or better than us have won as many or more games with such a defensive ranking? Only Idaho State, Florida State or Eastern Michigan. The defense isn't perfect, but they are getting the job done well enough to provide us with wins.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JackTNHogfan on October 08, 2017, 03:23:40 pm

Um, we already have that.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

zuko

Quote from: MrKnowItAll on October 08, 2017, 08:54:17 am
Just one question. Who's responsibility is it to see that the team has an IDENTITY ?
Amen to that and I enjoyed the long story. A man has to express himself.  The problem as I see it is that the team has an identity which I call the Allen Identity. It seems the team has the same character as they did when Brandon was at QB. Arkansas is so predictable and it's Bielmas fault for being hung up on the Allens. During the years Bielma has been at UofA, there was always talk about the promising QB's. I thought the Freshman they bought in showed up pretty good and deserves a start, need some fresh blood.

ChicoHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 08, 2017, 03:45:26 pm
Academic risks that like to hit people.
There's plenty of non academic risks that like to hit people.  Ask David Shaw. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: zuko on October 08, 2017, 07:13:03 pm
Amen to that and I enjoyed the long story. A man has to express himself.  The problem as I see it is that the team has an identity which I call the Allen Identity. It seems the team has the same character as they did when Brandon was at QB. Arkansas is so predictable and it's Bielmas fault for being hung up on the Allens. During the years Bielma has been at UofA, there was always talk about the promising QB's. I thought the Freshman they bought in showed up pretty good and deserves a start, need some fresh blood.
BA was pretty darn good QB.  Accurate, tough, and made good  decisions.  AA is tough but not nearly as accurate or as good a decision maker as BA.  I'll be shocked if he makes an NFL team. 

gawntrail

Quote from: fullfan on October 08, 2017, 09:01:37 am
If technique includes learning how to block a stunt, then yes they need to be taught some technique.  Repeatedly beat on simple stunts.  In your opinion is that technique/teaching or ability?

I do not think most teams the hogs play are worried about the run game and that is an issue.

The offensive ineptitude starts and ends in one place.  It's very simple when you take a step back and think about it.... and it proves out as we listen to everybody talk about how good practice is and how good people look.....

Practicing against ourselves does nothing to challenge, test, and evaluate our offense.  We do not have an SEC caliber defense to work against.  Steel strengthens steel.  Banging on steel with a wooden mallet is useless.  So, our metal (the offense) looks strong, sturdy, and deadly.... and we've polished it.  And, when wielded in battle, it proves to be nothing more than pot metal, plated with a substance that takes a shine.  And, sadly... our Head BlackSmith, watches from afar with a dumbfounded look..... wondering why the fruit of his labor is so inferior.  Why it is weak.  Why the most pedestrian adversary can have their way with us.  Very simple.  The team is only as strong as its weakest member... and unfortunately, that member is not the kicker, the place holder, the walk-on, nor a Red Shirt.... it's the guy in charge of the whole.... damn.... thing.

Our success begins and the failures end with going out and recruiting some serious boys looking to take heads off and eat people's guts.  But, we don't, won't, and/or can't recruit kids with this kind of violent tendency..... because, we'd then have to manage them.  And, that takes work.  Something the current Head Coach is allergic to. 

Our teams under CBB couldn't block or tackle the chemistry club let alone Elite D1 athletes that are on the 3 deep in the SEC.

I weep for those gladiators running through the 'A' wearing our beloved armor adorned with that lovable pig.  Because no amount of Woo Pig Sooie or boyish thoughts of Razorback greatness replaces fire forged toughness and competent leadership.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: King Kong on October 08, 2017, 09:18:58 am
What ever technically stuff Pittman taught worked.

Kurt Anderson's is not

But that was one of several problems we had yesterday. For the first time I believe Bielema has lost this team.

Normally his teams rebound well. Not this time

We were sold a bill of goods on Anderson.. He was Assistant O Line coach at Buffalo. He filled in when the other guy was ill without missing a beat.

However: The Buffalo Bills are a zone read offense with a run/pass QB. A totally different offense than what we run. If they get behind by much, they are beaten. Like us..

And I agree with your point that BB has lost this team. It's hard enough to play ground and pound in the SEC, which is what he wants to do, but when you can't run consistently? Impossible.

We can't seem to decide whether we want to be smashmouth or kind of a hodge-podge of smashmouth and something short of a spread. Drop back passing doesn't work for us, at all. If play action doesn't work, which it won't w/o a good running game, we're dead on offense.

The special teams are anything but, have been an open sore for BB's entire tenure.

We play a hodge-podge defense designed to bend but not break, no pass rush and little blitzing, and we STILL give up lots of big plays.. If you're going to give up big plays anyway, why not take some chances?

It seems like we keep trying to marry two concepts without truly committing to either fully, so we have nothing to hang our hats on.

We can't seem to decide what kind of team we want to be and are just grasping at straws.

Playing BB's beloved caveman football won't work in the SECW, so he grudgingly tried to update in 2015 with Enos. After a sluggish start, it worked in the 2nd half of 2015 and some last year, but has fizzled with a line built by a guy who said he was going to build the team from the inside out.

Meanwhile, we have ballyhooed O Line recruits who have done nothing and started a blue shirt freshman in the opener. When something isn't working, isn't it time for a coaching change? The answer to me is obvious..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Oklahawg

FOTH, good OP.

I typed this elsewhere but will repost here:

While this is CBB's fifth year, it is year three on the second offense and year one on the third defense. You cannot overturn a roster that many times and not have some disastrous moments.

The media's inability to recognize that we aren't who we used to be does not help. The narrative of "power football" can't be turned over without the media helping. Welcome to mid-career transformations.

===

If you are elevating Cole Kelley to starting QB (even temporarily) for this week then you will be simplifying things. You will be asking "what works?" "what can he do?" That is one of the most single valuable moments for the staff - the realization that things need to shift, and they have to, due to personnel. Maybe that helps all of this.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogsanity

I agree about the offensive line.

But it doesn't stop there.  Our defense is impotent.  And special teams are poor.

Other than a few skill positions, we look slow, weak, and lost.

so it again comes down to jimmies and joes.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Quote from: radar on October 08, 2017, 02:43:42 pm
I truly feel bad for the players and their families, I know the sacrifices they make.

This is what fans need to focus on from now through the end of this year.  It was forseeable that Arkansas could be 2-3 at this point, just like it was forseeable they could have been 5-0.  That's what happens when a pretty good team plays a bunch of pretty good teams.  TCU and A&M could have gone either way. South Carolina turned into an avalanche in the space of a few minutes on two defensive scores. 

There are 7 games on the schedule and at lease 4 are very winnable.  Arkansas lost an All-SEC tailback in pre-season, its only returning WR to a freak injury, and an All-SEC CB in the first game against an FCS school.  The 5th year senior QB has not been able to establish any timing with the new WRs.  If you watch football long enough, you'll see years like this.  That doesn't make them easy, but this one isn't over.

Quote from: zuko on October 08, 2017, 07:13:03 pm

It's difficult to excuse the anarchy we've seen on the field since Auburn last year.  It's even harder to make sense out of the head scratching personnel decisions on the o-line and elsewhere.  On tbe other hand, CBB has never coached an Arkansas team without a QB named Allen.  And whether you think they played because of Bobby or not, which I don't, you have to admit CBB walked into an uncomfortable situation where the whole thing is concerned.  I got in my share of trouble here from the beginning just for mentioning it. I predicted BA would have a great senior year and was right.  I based my hope that 2017 would be a good year on the same expectation from AA, but he has not been the same QB mentally that he was the first half of 2016.  Therein lies the biggest problem this year.  The staff could adjust and the line is not good, but they didn't force the pass in OT against A&M or the pick six against South Carolina.  Those were bad decisions by the QB, and frankly, they looked to this fan like petulant decisions.

FOTH may be right about identity.  I don't believe this team is built for finesse.  The loss of Rawleigh Williams hurt.  CBB has always looked for balance.  That's sound philosophy in my opinion.  However, the best coaches have always built their teams to suit the personnel.  I have no answers but do know the definition of insanity.

If FOTH is right, Arkansas will not be a successful finesse team until it gets a finesse QB.

Meanwhile, support the players who devote their lives to trying to win games for the fans.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.