Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Coach Mega Thread (current leader:Musselman) **clean version**

Started by RazorPiggie, March 18, 2018, 07:21:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorPiggie

Nevada HC. 2 NCAAT appearance in 3 years. Now in the Sweet Sixteen. Thoughts?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

steveaustin69

Good coach and spent a good amount of time in the NBA. I also would love to have him.

jst01

He knows how to coach. The guy got a tech foul called on him and the momentum changed. His team became intense and came back and won.

maggiesue

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 18, 2018, 07:21:38 pm

In a heartbeat!  He coaches!

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

ShadowHawg

He coaches in a vacuum with P5 transfers. Should be good. How he has missed a tournament is the bigger question.

steveaustin69

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2018, 09:38:22 pm
He coaches in a vacuum with P5 transfers. Should be good. How he has missed a tournament is the bigger question.

Nevada has been to eight tourneys EVER. He has 2 of them; his first year they won the CBI, and is going to the Sweet 16 this year. Using "P5" when discussing basketball shows you don't really follow the sport....

Sow’sEar

Good point.2 of the #1 seeds in this year's tournament aren't from a "P5" conference.

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 18, 2018, 09:45:06 pm
Nevada has been to eight tourneys EVER. He has 2 of them; his first year they won the CBI, and is going to the Sweet 16 this year. Using "P5" when discussing basketball shows you don't really follow the sport....

The p5 thing is just Shadows newest excuse line for MA.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

longtimeHogfan

I'll throw out another.....Mark Few. I think he's made the tourney every year he's been zaga's coach, 16-18 times.  Current $'s less than $1.5MM.  Plays in a weak conference but has taken his team deep into the tourney against tough opponents. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

steveaustin69

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on March 19, 2018, 09:48:57 am
I'll throw out another.....Mark Few. I think he's made the tourney every year he's been zaga's coach, 16-18 times.  Current $'s less than $1.5MM.  Plays in a weak conference but has taken his team deep into the tourney against tough opponents.

If you're gonna troll, then at least be creative and/or funny.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 09:53:30 am
If you're gonna troll, then at least be creative and/or funny.

?  I give up....that was just my opinion.  Troll? 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

steveaustin69

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on March 19, 2018, 09:54:47 am
?  I give up....that was just my opinion.  Troll?

My mistake. Few is never leaving Gonzaga; especially for Arkansas.

010HogFan

King Kong

I remember when he was the hot NBA name.

Struggled with mediocre teams. Did well at Nevada and got a lot of credit at LSU

Cotton

Quote from: 010HogFan on March 19, 2018, 10:07:27 am
Nevada coach is a little too crazy for my liking
The F bombs on national tv after winning wasn't a good look to some... Personally doesn't bother me, but I'm aware of where I live and the culture around me.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Cotton on March 19, 2018, 10:53:01 am
The F bombs on national tv after winning wasn't a good look to some... Personally doesn't bother me, but I'm aware of where I live and the culture around me.

I'd say 90% of coaches say the same thing but most aren't on TV. And it was apparent that he didn't realize the camera was rolling.

Cotton

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 19, 2018, 11:25:41 am
I'd say 90% of coaches say the same thing but most aren't on TV. And it was apparent that he didn't realize the camera was rolling.
It was pure emotion.. but it's not a good look.

He should know better as far as cameras rolling.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hogsanity

Quote from: Cotton on March 19, 2018, 11:51:09 am
It was pure emotion.. but it's not a good look.

He should know better as far as cameras rolling.

What is really sad is how pervasive in society use of that, and certain other words, has become. There are many great descriptive words in the english language, that are not considered vulgar.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cotton

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 12:14:04 pm
What is really sad is how pervasive in society use of that, and certain other words, has become. There are many great descriptive words in the english language, that are not considered vulgar.
Language as an art form is dying if not already dead.

The other sad thing is how much power we give to words.  Like I said above, I'm personally not offended by any vulgar words. Especially when used in situations of pure emotion like that celebration.  However, it is sad that the "Church crowd" is so offended by words that they will completely write a person off for it.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hoglady

He's fun to watch - he certainly inherited his Dad's intensity for the game.
Good coach.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogsanity

Quote from: Cotton on March 19, 2018, 12:17:21 pm
Language as an art form is dying if not already dead.

The other sad thing is how much power we give to words.  Like I said above, I'm personally not offended by any vulgar words. Especially when used in situations of pure emotion like that celebration.  However, it is sad that the "Church crowd" is so offended by words that they will completely write a person off for it.

Frankly, that word is used so much now I can't believe people still have the shock factor when they hear it. I hear most of George Carlin's 7 words used constantly, just in regular conversation, by all manner of people, young, old, male, female, pretty much everyone. Honestly, I find it lazy more than I find it revolting or shocking. 

hobhog

He will be hired by somebody this year but not us. We won't be in market until after next year.

Cotton

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 01:04:24 pm
Frankly, that word is used so much now I can't believe people still have the shock factor when they hear it. I hear most of George Carlin's 7 words used constantly, just in regular conversation, by all manner of people, young, old, male, female, pretty much everyone. Honestly, I find it lazy more than I find it revolting or shocking.
I'm right there with you.. But several of the parents in the crowd pointed it out and said they wouldn't want their kids playing for a guy like that.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

The Hogfather

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 18, 2018, 07:21:38 pm

Same result as Trent Johnson and Mark Fox if he heads to the SEC.  I love when people get all excited because a guy has a little success at schools like Nevada/Western Kentucky/Louisiana Tech.

Before our coach came to Arkansas, he had some success at lesser schools, too.  Took UAB to a Sweet 16 and Missouri to an Elite 8.

steveaustin69

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 19, 2018, 01:14:13 pm
Same result as Trent Johnson and Mark Fox if he heads to the SEC.  I love when people get all excited because a guy has a little success at schools like Nevada/Western Kentucky/Louisiana Tech.

Before our coach came to Arkansas, he had some success at lesser schools, too.  Took UAB to a Sweet 16 and Missouri to an Elite 8.

Guess Villanova should have never hired Jay Wright.

Do we get the next Jay Wright or Tony Bennett? It's unlikely, but it's possible. We're at the ceiling with Mike; time to find someone who can elevate it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cotton on March 19, 2018, 01:09:40 pm
I'm right there with you.. But several of the parents in the crowd pointed it out and said they wouldn't want their kids playing for a guy like that.

And then most likely turned around and said " I can't [CENSORED] believe he would use the f word infront of a [CENSORED] camera.".

Cotton

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 01:35:30 pm
And then most likely turned around and said " I can't [CENSORED] believe he would use the f word infront of a [CENSORED] camera.".
Turned around and took a sip of a Michelob Ultra they were hiding and didn't want anybody to see them drinking.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

The Hogfather

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 01:17:34 pm
Guess Villanova should have never hired Jay Wright.

Do we get the next Jay Wright or Tony Bennett? It's unlikely, but it's possible. We're at the ceiling with Mike; time to find someone who can elevate it.

Yeah, totally makes sense that Anderson's ceiling at UAB is a Sweet 16, his ceiling at Missouri is an Elite 8, and his ceiling at Arkansas is the round of 32, dumbarse.

widespreadsooie

Timing of this thread is on point. Guy has been coaching for almost 30 years.

raz1965

Seen several coaches make runs in the tourney jump to a big time job an be unemployed a couple years down  the rd. A good coach has to be judged over a longer period an not because he hit a couple home runs.

sickboy

It's a positive for me.

Tusks

yeah i don't want my kid playing for a coach that drops the F bomb but they can play for cheaters, money launderers, hooker providing, academic frauds as long as they don't cuss.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Pig in the Pokey

That's ONE way to say it LOL; you sir, are a skilled diplomat.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: tusked on March 21, 2018, 06:16:01 pm
yeah i don't want my kid playing for a coach that drops the F bomb but they can play for cheaters, money launderers, hooker providing, academic frauds as long as they look like don't cuss.
fify. (Im thinking Roy, here. )those cheatin ass academic frauds needed to be hammered and got off LITERALLY scot free.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

upperdeck_hawg

I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

hogwood

HOGINTENNESSEE

Randohoggie

We need more profanity, if you ask me.  Studies have actually shown that the use of profanity is a sign of intelligence and honesty.  It's just words.  The taboo attached to some of them just needs to go away, which luckily is happening.  If I can get the point across with one F bomb, why waste my time doing something else?

texas tush hog

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Torqued pork

Would take Musselman over the cardboard cutout from our past.

HogBreath

Quote from: Randohoggie on March 21, 2018, 11:16:38 pm
We need more profanity, if you ask me.  Studies have actually shown that the use of profanity is a sign of intelligence and honesty.  It's just words.  The taboo attached to some of them just needs to go away, which luckily is happening.  If I can get the point across with one F bomb, why waste my time doing something else?
No,no no to coach who drops F bombs.  Yes to a coach who likes to talk about rasslin' a bear.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hawg Red

Pretty good coach but a bounce-around guy. Would not be opposed, though, if something were to happen a year from now. His record at Nevada is actually better than I thought it was. To the point about him bouncing around, it does seem as though he's settled in on being a college coach, so that's not much of a concern, I guess.

Hawg Red

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on March 21, 2018, 06:44:15 pm
NBA is where he's ultimately going to end up

Based on what? It seems he's given up on that path and rightfully so.

jackflash

upperdeck_hawg

Musselman made a huge coaching blunder at the end there. Down 1 and 34 seconds left you have to foul there. He chose to play defense.  Even if they miss, you're left with 4 seconds. Amazing that coaches at this level dont know situational strategy.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 19, 2018, 09:05:23 pm
Yeah, totally makes sense that Anderson's ceiling at UAB is a Sweet 16, his ceiling at Missouri is an Eliet 8, and his ceiling at Arkansas is the round of 32, dumbarse.
Hogs up! Covid down!

NinoHogUNIA

BIE