Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting piece on Defense

Started by PIGGTOWN HAM, February 12, 2018, 04:50:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PIGGTOWN HAM

howie76

Good article and makes a lot of sense...

Peter Porker

The 2013 defense was recruited by the previous staff as well, but that doesn't fit the narrative.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

31to6

Quote from: PIGGTOWN HAM on February 12, 2018, 04:50:54 am
https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Chad-Morris-John-Chavis-improve-Arkansas-Razorbacks-defensive-recruiting-115013587/Amp

I apologize if this has been posted already but I thought it was a good read
I love it when sports journalists take a tiny handful of data points and try to reach a conclusion.

I am glad that Morris and Chavis have pulled in some quality defensive players, but one partial class under highly unusual conditions is nothing to draw conclusions from one way or the other.

Anecdotally, it does seem that the staff attracted some players that we would not have brought to the hill otherwise.

CBB recruited enough talent to post winning seasons. He consistently recruited more talented teams than he had at Wisconsin. (And even if you say "well the SEC-W is rough" then what about Toledo, Tech, the worst Mizzou teams in decades, 0-fer against the Aggies, etc?)

The problem is that CBB either didn't know how to do it on his own or didn't care enough to try.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 31to6 on February 12, 2018, 09:40:13 am
I love it when sports journalists take a tiny handful of data points and try to reach a conclusion.

I am glad that Morris and Chavis have pulled in some quality defensive players, but one partial class under highly unusual conditions is nothing to draw conclusions from one way or the other.

Anecdotally, it does seem that the staff attracted some players that we would not have brought to the hill otherwise.

CBB recruited enough talent to post winning seasons. He consistently recruited more talented teams than he had at Wisconsin. (And even if you say "well the SEC-W is rough" then what about Toledo, Tech, the worst Mizzou teams in decades, 0-fer against the Aggies, etc?)

The problem is that CBB either didn't know how to do it on his own or didn't care enough to try.
The frustrating thing to me was not as much about the class ratings (star power), but what we constantly failed to do with the talent we did get. Obviously we were continually out recruited, however, IMO we still had sufficient talent to win many of the games we lost. Several times to TAM, usually in OT, games to Rutgers and Toledo and T. Tech, a game or two to Missouri are amongst those. In addition, absolutely miserable performances against Auburn several years back when we were absolutely torched! The situation was particularly noticeable last season when we barely beat a truly horrible CCarolina team and just collapsed in the second half against TAM (again) and Mizzou.

Yep, the mantra of Bret's teams consistently seemed to be one of "doing less with less". For whatever reason many of our kids were never developed after they reached the Hill. And of course that doesn't even address the question(s)/issue(s) of whether or not various players were either misused or not used sufficiently.

Pig in the Pokey

Bert was a decent recruiter but a terrible developer. This new staff is already showing it's a dynamic recruiting group and will show it's equally dynamic at development soon.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Razorbackers

EXACTLY.

Bret recruited higher star averages than we've had ever. Period. He just didn't know what to do with them, or maybe he clashed with his staff on what to do with them...I don't know. That's one of the biggest reasons 2017 will always leave me scratching my head, forever. There is NO REASON that team should have went 4-8. None. It was a team full of players. Just mind boggling.

I think Morris is walking into the best team an arkansas coach has walked into since Nutt got here.

TexasRazorback

good article. Really shows that Morris and Chavis are busting their tails on the recruiting trail.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 12, 2018, 07:01:33 am
The 2013 defense was recruited by the previous staff as well, but that doesn't fit the narrative.
What narrative..? Do you think CBP didn't wait too long to recruit defensive studs? Everyone knew he waited too late, and 2013 was proof that there was little help with the upper classmen. They didn't mature into anything legit until 2014. What is your narrative? Do you think CBB was about to breakout? Give me a break. Go look at my previous posts. I supported CBB way longer than most, but by game 3 this past season even Nebuchadnezzar himself could have read the writing on the wall.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

31to6

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 12, 2018, 09:54:57 am
The frustrating thing to me was not as much about the class ratings (star power), but what we constantly failed to do with the talent we did get. Obviously we were continually out recruited, however, IMO we still had sufficient talent to win many of the games we lost. Several times to TAM, usually in OT, games to Rutgers and Toledo and T. Tech, a game or two to Missouri are amongst those. In addition, absolutely miserable performances against Auburn several years back when we were absolutely torched! The situation was particularly noticeable last season when we barely beat a truly horrible CCarolina team and just collapsed in the second half against TAM (again) and Mizzou.
Yes. It was not the drubbings by Alabama or even Auburn that bothered me. It was the inexplicable struggles against teams we should beat and the complete lack of 2nd half physicality. Love him or hate him, but CBP's teams had many strong 2nd half wins. I remember a presser where they asked CBP if hewas surprised that the other team's defense finally loosened up in the 4th quarter--maybe the 2010 LSU win?--and he said "No, that's how football works." Inability to beat teams up in the 2nd half was the canary in the mine throughout the entire CBB tenure.

I think some of the team was "lost" by the long before Coastal. There's no other real interpretation. Even with injuries and whatnot, the Hogs had enough talent to beat a D2 team with a "on 2, everyone go deep" gameplan. Even out of position, getting pushed around by smaller, slower guys in the trenches is a "want to" issue.

(Not blaming the players. It is a coaching failure if they can't get 11 on the field who are ready to be there.)

31to6

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 12, 2018, 10:09:41 am
EXACTLY.

Bret recruited higher star averages than we've had ever. Period. He just didn't know what to do with them, or maybe he clashed with his staff on what to do with them...I don't know. That's one of the biggest reasons 2017 will always leave me scratching my head, forever. There is NO REASON that team should have went 4-8. None. It was a team full of players. Just mind boggling.

I think Morris is walking into the best team an arkansas coach has walked into since Nutt got here.
CBB sure did have a lot of players switching positions. I mean, position changes happens all the time, esp between HS and college. But he seemed to be constantly shuffling the roster and not letting players really develop at a position.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: 31to6 on February 12, 2018, 11:20:59 am
CBB sure did have a lot of players switching positions. I mean, position changes happens all the time, esp between HS and college. But he seemed to be constantly shuffling the roster and not letting players really develop at a position.

You mean like Jamario Bell? DE to LB to TE back to DE back to LB? The kid was a 4 star recruit and due to Bert, he's made more moves than Bekin's.

It would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall to see the rationale, if there was any, behind so many things Bert did and didn't do.

The guy had the strangest management style, not just among football coaches but in general, of anyone this side of Houston Nutt. Who could reconcile the nitpicky off the field stuff, like missing breakfast and being punished for what seemed like a year with nothing being done about larger issues?

I realize there is a fine line between discipline and harrassment as Holtz used to say, but I'm not sure the players ever figured out what the rules were or how breaking them would be enforced. Sometimes a coach is punishing the entire team by holding a player out of a game for a half or a game when making the kid run the bleachers at 5 AM would be more appropriate.

Bert seemed to strain at a gnat and swallow a camel, as it says in the Good Book in his approach to discipline off the field while there was no discipline ON the field.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

31to6

Quote from: SooieGeneris on February 12, 2018, 11:48:46 am
You mean like Jamario Bell? DE to LB to TE back to DE back to LB? The kid was a 4 star recruit and due to Bert, he's made more moves than Bekin's.
That is *exactly* what I was thinking. But it was all over the roster.

Heck, if I had been on that defense I might have wanted to be moved to TE or OL and get to sit in first class and have all the praise and glory.

PIGGTOWN HAM

For what it's worth, I didn't post this as a knock on Beilema's recruiting, but to show that this class may be better than many are giving it credit for. I think Morris and Co have done a very nice job under the circumstances

31to6

Quote from: PIGGTOWN HAM on February 12, 2018, 12:22:03 pm
For what it's worth, I didn't post this as a knock on Beilema's recruiting, but to show that this class may be better than many are giving it credit for. I think Morris and Co have done a very nice job under the circumstances
Agreed. Sorry if I derailed.

I just LOL when sports journalists cherry-pick stats and make rudimentary graphs to try and make a sweeping point. Usually it is pretty weak sauce if you know anything about statistics. :)

If this data point becomes a trend it can't hurt on the field!

WPS

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 31to6 on February 12, 2018, 11:20:59 am
IMO that was part of the pattern of often either misusing guys in terms of positions/skill sets or not even playing kids who might have contributed. While I realize the coaches are supposed to have the best read on which kids can do what, there WERE a lot of position changes; also seemed that several, such as Bell's, were in constant flux. How could a kid become proficient and comfortable in any new position if he was continually being yanked around ???

PIGGTOWN HAM

Quote from: 31to6 on February 12, 2018, 12:28:04 pm
Agreed. Sorry if I derailed.

I just LOL when sports journalists cherry-pick stats and make rudimentary graphs to try and make a sweeping point. Usually it is pretty weak sauce if you know anything about statistics. :)

If this data point becomes a trend it can't hurt on the field!

WPS

All good. You're definitely not wrong. I just don't understand so many uninformed people bashing this class. I'm optimistic

WPS, brother

redeye

Totally agree with this and most other comments in this thread.

It's also nice to have a coach who receives positive press, again.

aloha_kid

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 12, 2018, 10:09:41 am
EXACTLY.

Injuries, on the field leadership, and lack of quality depth hurt last years team.  You can lay that at Bret's feet if you like.  However, was the offensive line better with Ragnow or without?  Honestly, the team lost their identity when Enos came in.  Was the offense a running team or passing team or, more likely, a punting team. 

WaltonCollege

WE DO THE TACKLES AND WE DO THE DEFENSE SAYS CHIVES

Oklahawg

Quote from: 31to6 on February 12, 2018, 12:11:30 pm
That is *exactly* what I was thinking. But it was all over the roster.

Heck, if I had been on that defense I might have wanted to be moved to TE or OL and get to sit in first class and have all the praise and glory.

Not really. If you remove the scheme switch the moves are pretty minimal...certainly, they don't stand out to casual observers.

Here's a thought: maybe Bell is the latest in-state highlight film stud who never produces on the field.  I hope not, but it is worth considering. If anything, because we have more serviceable depth (not necessarily elite players, though) it made it harder for Bell to get a look.

Each coach has their quirks and odd policies that dictate how you get on the field. We will discover CCM's soon enough.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra