Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There's one indisputable fact about CCM's recruiting thus far;

Started by OneTuskOverTheLine™, January 09, 2018, 04:35:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

And that is DEFENSE.!! When is the last time you saw an incoming Arkansas coach hit the defensive recruiting trail this hard. The guy obviously knows what he is doing. I am more and more impressed with him daily. It took Petrino to get to his 3rd cycle. CBB never got it at all...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hoggish1

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 09, 2018, 04:35:21 am
And that is DEFENSE.!! When is the last time you saw an incoming Arkansas coach hit the defensive recruiting trail this hard. The guy obviously knows what he is doing. I am more and more impressed with him daily. It took Petrino to get to his 3rd cycle. CBB never got it at all...

And the reason is:

His O will be nothing without a shut down D.  He is smart to go D first and set Chavis up with what he needs.  The current crop of O players will be good enough to be effective in year one, with his approach.

The man is very smart and not selfish for a very good reason!

navyhog24

Quote from: Kevin on January 09, 2018, 05:42:47 am
And taking swings at some big time recruits

That's what I am liking about CMM so far. He at least has the balls to go after the big name kids, even if it means he won't be landing them right away.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: navyhog24 on January 09, 2018, 08:58:13 am
That's what I am liking about CMM so far. He at least has the balls to go after the big name kids, even if it means he won't be landing them right away.

Every year there are head-scratchers, with other "lesser" schools landing a bigtime stud seemingly out of nowhere. There's no reason that can't be us.

We're not going to be getting 5 5-star and 10 4-star guys...so let's start with 4 or 5 4-star guys. Let's get ONE of the best we can from a few different positions—one great quarterback, one great linebacker, one great corner, one great offensive tackle.

We'll work on depth later. The 4 and 5-star second and third teamers is an amazing thing. Remember the news out of Alabama after the first week this season, about how they lost a couple starting linebackers? I'd say their contingency plan worked pretty well.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Mo_Better_Hogs

This is the 2018 class so far, from Tomhog's thread--

Offense (4)
QB 4* Connor Noland, 6'3", 205, Greenwood HS, Greenwood, AR (305th Natl)
OT 3* Noah Gatlin, 6'7", 300, Jonesboro HS, Jonesboro, AR (870th Natl)
WR 3* Michael Woods, 6'1", 188, Magnolia HS, Magnolia, TX (581st Natl)
OT 3* Silas Robinson, 6'4", 300, Yoakum HS, Yoakum, TX (NA Natl)

Defense (6)
ILB 4* Bumper Pool, 6'2", 213, Lovejoy HS, Lucas, TX (264th Natl)
DE 3* John Mincey, 6'4", 255, Clinch County HS, Homerville, GA (729th Natl)
DE 3* Isaiah Nichols, 6'4", 275, Springdale HS, Springdale, AR (816th Natl)
CB 3* LaDarrius Bishop, 6'0", 180, Ashdown HS, Ashdown, AR (557th Natl)
SDE 3* Nick Fulwider, 6'7", 249, Sandy Creek HS, Tyron, GA (728th Natl)
DT 3* Billy Ferrel, 6'3, 331, Fordyce HS, Fordyce, AR (NA Natl)

I really like this mix at this point. You always have to add offensive linemen. The D is taking shape nicely, 4 players on the line. This looks like a good compliment to our good secondary class from the year before.

How many more players do we have room to sign this year?

Vantage 8 dude

All along I've felt that the MOST important hire that CCM would make would be his DC. Not that all staff positions aren't important, however, with Chad's reputation as a offensive guy the ability to recruit and develop QUALITY kids on the defensive side was going to be huge. Obviously the ability of the defensive staff to scheme and execute an aggressive, attack-mode defense very dissimilar to the generally soft/passive we've been running is IMO going to be crucial if we're going to contend against the SEC elites.

Vantage 8 dude

An old proverb that observes "You miss 100% of the shots you never take". Yep, we're doubtless going to miss our fair share of the true 4 and 5* "studs" that everyone else is pursuing. However, at least if you have the courage to try you just might surprise yourself. Besides, even three stars with proper development can turn out to be very good players as well.

Bacon_Bitz

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Kevin on January 09, 2018, 05:42:47 am
And taking swings at some big time recruits

Petrino and Bielema did the same. Morris and his staff will too.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on January 09, 2018, 12:04:42 pm
Not impressed until we see some actual results.
See my comment(s) above. No doubt the RESULTS are always what matter; however, before you can even have the hope of such you have to be confident enough to offer to begin with.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on January 09, 2018, 12:04:42 pm
Not impressed until we see some actual results.

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on January 09, 2018, 10:20:13 am
This is the 2018 class so far, from Tomhog's thread--

Offense (4)
QB 4* Connor Noland, 6'3", 205, Greenwood HS, Greenwood, AR (305th Natl)
OT 3* Noah Gatlin, 6'7", 300, Jonesboro HS, Jonesboro, AR (870th Natl)
WR 3* Michael Woods, 6'1", 188, Magnolia HS, Magnolia, TX (581st Natl)
OT 3* Silas Robinson, 6'4", 300, Yoakum HS, Yoakum, TX (NA Natl)

Defense (6)
ILB 4* Bumper Pool, 6'2", 213, Lovejoy HS, Lucas, TX (264th Natl)
DE 3* John Mincey, 6'4", 255, Clinch County HS, Homerville, GA (729th Natl)
DE 3* Isaiah Nichols, 6'4", 275, Springdale HS, Springdale, AR (816th Natl)
CB 3* LaDarrius Bishop, 6'0", 180, Ashdown HS, Ashdown, AR (557th Natl)
SDE 3* Nick Fulwider, 6'7", 249, Sandy Creek HS, Tyron, GA (728th Natl)
DT 3* Billy Ferrel, 6'3, 331, Fordyce HS, Fordyce, AR (NA Natl)

I really like this mix at this point. You always have to add offensive linemen. The D is taking shape nicely, 4 players on the line. This looks like a good compliment to our good secondary class from the year before.

How many more players do we have room to sign this year?

When the thread is about RECRUITING, and you scroll past the results to say you need to see them first, it makes it look like you're not paying attention. Now if you're going to have to wait and see ON FIELD results then I suggest you get out of the recruiting forum until next year... There's no reason to piss on this class.
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

hogginbama

I saw us go after plenty of 4-5 star players over the past few years, landed some/missed some. That was one of the knocks about BB on here, he couldn't consistently land the 4-5 star players. Now the new guy comes in, offers a few 4-5 star players and everyone is school girl giddy and getting all sappy about it.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hogginbama on January 09, 2018, 02:41:00 pm
I saw us go after plenty of 4-5 star players over the past few years, landed some/missed some. That was one of the knocks about BB on here, he couldn't consistently land the 4-5 star players. Now the new guy comes in, offers a few 4-5 star players and everyone is school girl giddy and getting all sappy about it.

I don't know where you get that from in this thread. No one is giddy because he's offering highly rated guys. The point I was making is how much of his efforts seem to be aimed at the defensive side of the ball, and how CBP and CBB didn't appear to make defense a priority. Can you honestly say that you have seen nothing from the guy that gives you cause to hope?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hogginbama on January 09, 2018, 02:41:00 pm
Please spend some time working on your reading comprehension skills. Even in Alabama that's one of life's essentials. No one is getting all "school girl giddy" or "sappy" about CSM's approach to recruiting. However, what we ARE stating is that the guy is obviously NOT afraid to butt heads with other programs for top flight kids. It would certainly be much easier for the staff to just sit back, especially this year, and concentrate on recruits we likely have a much easier/realistic chance of signing. While the proof will always be in WHO we sign, at least one can't fault the effort. And that ISN'T being overly "pie in the sky" or unrealistic.